• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Way of the Samurai 4 will be released on PC in less than 2 weeks

I was following this port for a while since WoTS is one of my favorite series. After they delayed the release of the port on Steam like 4 times, and held a beta participation I kind of had a feeling the PC release was going to be mediocre. Honestly it sounds like it came out better than expected, all things considered. I'll probably grab it sometime over the next two weeks at the reduced price.

Haunted

30 fps..smh. when will they learn

so in the past few months we got
Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure (March 2015) and was locked at 30fps
Akibas Trip: Undead & Undressed (May 2015) and was locked at30fps
Toukiden: Kiwami (June 2015) and was locked at 30fps
now in July Way of Samurai 4 and will be locked at 30fps

so 4 games, 4 ports of Japanese games on PC back to back that are locked at 30fps
Japanese developers :/

Santar

So great to hear that we finally have a release date for this, and so cheap too!
Sad to hear that the Dark Souls like online functions are gone though, would have been fun to bump into other players npc's around in the world.
Any chance it'll find it's way to gog?

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
So great to hear that we finally have a release date for this, and so cheap too!
Sad to hear that the Dark Souls like online functions are gone though, would have been fun to bump into other players npc's around in the world.

Nothing is confirmed at the moment, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened at some point.

Just read about this, unfortunate.

Just read about this, unfortunate.

The online functions were only slightly similar to Dark Souls, because you couldn't invade another player's world, the one who did the invading was your player character, controlled by AI (and the idea behind it was that when someone defeated the PC, they'd get your sword)

The online functions were only slightly similar to Dark Souls, because you couldn't invade another player's world, the one who did the invading was your player character, controlled by AI (and the idea behind it was that when someone defeated the PC, they'd get your sword)

I'm aware of how it worked (got the PS3 version too). Still a shame we don't get to see other players' designs. Saw some real "creative" stuff on PS3 lol.

Dinjoralo

I think it's solid, though not exceptional.

Here's 2 screenshots downsampled from 5k:
wayofthesamurai4_2015vvuev.jpg

wayofthesamurai4_2015c2utu.jpg
Are my eyes deceiving me, or is the UI properly made for 1080p?
... Seriously, is it? I'm on my phone, I can't tell.

Zexen

I know nothing about the serie but the name and I'd like to know if there are multiple weapon types in it? Are we just limited to Katana or we can use Naginata/Nagamaki, Wakizashi, Yari (...)?

The game seems highly interesting.

Dinjoralo

The UI looks fine at higher resolutions, but still a bit soft for me personally. Could just be my DSR smoothness setting.

I just got a look at it on my computer, it really is native 1080p! Blurry 720p HUDs in 1080p are one of my little bugbears, I'm glad to see them starting to go away with 1080p being more standard on consoles.
So uh, does anyone know what graphics options there are? I'd guess there's resolution, AA, AF, and shadow quality.

Terra_Ex

I know nothing about the serie but the name and I'd like to know if there are multiple weapon types in it? Are we just limited to Katana or we can use Naginata/Nagamaki, Wakizashi, Yari (...)?

The game seems highly interesting.
It's primarilly swords but there are other weapon types available (and several unarmed styles are present in WotS4 iirc) - spears, claws, giant frozen tuna, etc. Different weapon types have been present since the first game but you only really encounter the more interesting stuff at higher difficulty levels.

Tain

30 fps..smh. when will they learn

so in the past few months we got
Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure (March 2015) and was locked at 30fps
Akibas Trip: Undead & Undressed (May 2015) and was locked at30fps
Toukiden: Kiwami (June 2015) and was locked at 30fps
now in July Way of Samurai 4 and will be locked at 30fps

so 4 games, 4 ports of Japanese games on PC back to back that are locked at 30fps

The decision to build these games in a way that they rely on 30fps was made way back when their initial releases happened (probably 2010 in the case of this game). It shouldn't be framed as some recent string of bad decisions.

I just got a look at it on my computer, it really is native 1080p! Blurry 720p HUDs in 1080p are one of my little bugbears, I'm glad to see them starting to go away with 1080p being more standard on consoles.
So uh, does anyone know what graphics options there are? I'd guess there's resolution, AA, AF, and shadow quality.

Just resolution unfortunately. Game pretty much looks like ass anyway considering it's a low budget Japanese PS3 game at heart.

atomico

After 3 or 4 release date changes and months of silence , I was pretty sure this game had just gotten quietly cancelled. Glad to be wrong. Preordering this thing asap.

After 3 or 4 release date changes and months of silence , I was pretty sure this game had just gotten quietly cancelled. Glad to be wrong. Preordering this thing asap.

If they'd released this back in Winter, it would've been an almighty mess. They've spent a ton of time fixing a huge amount of issues. Still not quite perfect, but it's in much better shape now.

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
If they'd released this back in Winter, it would've been an almighty mess. They've spent a ton of time fixing a huge amount of issues. Still not quite perfect, but it's in much better shape now.

To be honest I don't think it was in any state to be released in the Winter. I certainly wouldn't have been happy promoting it, and I don't think anyone else here would have been either.

The game is running very well for us here at the moment. So I'm a lot, lot happier with the game now :)

Faabulous

So I only played WotS 1 and 2. Loved 1 to death, played a bunch, never could get into 2. Tought it was full of filler, and not a lot to do as opposite to the packed 1.
Will I enjoy this?

Hesh

I'm not a wizard, but considering the game was developed for PS3 originally with 30 FPS in mind then unlocking the FPS for the PC port simply because PC's could handle it would likely mess up various game systems. I'll be interested to see what people's results are after tweaking the ini file if unlocking the frame rate will be that simple.

Seyavesh

To be honest I don't think it was in any state to be released in the Winter. I certainly wouldn't have been happy promoting it, and I don't think anyone else here would have been either.

The game is running very well for us here at the moment. So I'm a lot, lot happier with the game now :)

yeah i've been pretty radio quiet on the bugs front as i haven't found anything new whenever i periodically check in and it actually kinda blows me away just how much it advanced in terms of stuff gettin fixed

also that guy ranking wots2 as the worst one... aw cmon dawg, that's my favorite!

StereoVsn

Pre-order is up, 14.99

That's a very good price for the title. Got it without any second thoughts even though its going straight into the backlog for a while. Man, without framerate issues and with no loading times, this game is going to be a lot better vs PS3 version, frame lock or no frame lock. I do wish Japanese devs would stop locking FPS to gameplay though since it makes changes frame rates impossible when porting.

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
Just thought I'd let you all know, I've looked into the 30FPS thing and it is due to the framerate being tied to the original game logic in the code.

I'll pre-order it. I was a bit worried because of all the delays but the beta impressions sound good (unless I missed some major issues) and there's no risk because of refunds.

So yeah you can thank Steam refunds for another sale :)

Zexen

It's primarilly swords but there are other weapon types available (and several unarmed styles are present in WotS4 iirc) - spears, claws, giant frozen tuna, etc. Different weapon types have been present since the first game but you only really encounter the more interesting stuff at higher difficulty levels.
Well, I pre-ordered it, 13.79€, not a big loss anyway. The game looks pretty fun.

What do you mean by
you only really encounter the more interesting stuff at higher difficulty levels

Like some piece of stuff are only avaiable by playing on Hard/Very Hard a la Witcher 2 and it's Dark Equipments?

Like some piece of stuff are only avaiable by playing on Hard/Very Hard a la Witcher 2 and it's Dark Equipments?

Well...
Every unique character in the game has their own weapon.
Then there are the randoms (soldiers, thugs, etc). On the lower difficulties they usually carry crap. On the harder difficulties they are more likely to carry interesting stuff (especially during late-game battles).

Kill someone, and if they have a weapon, they'll drop it.
Unique NPCs are a bit trickier, since you can only kill them if the story dictates it (usually towards the end-game and/or during particular routes).
Furthermore, defeating unique NPCs on harder difficulties can unlock their clothes/faces/outfits for your next game.

Uraizen

Banned
Hmm... can anybody break down the combat in this to a fan of the character action game genre? Like a DMC, Bayonetta, MGR, etc. fan.

Bought! Now, I don't have to get out my PS3 to play it anymore. I just hope for some good SweetFX/Reshade configs so that they game could look better.

kris.

Banned
Never played a WotS but samurai stuff interests me greatly and this is an open-ended samurai RPG?

Lawd in heaven, yes. I want it.

Akronis

The decision to build these games in a way that they rely on 30fps was made way back when their initial releases happened (probably 2010 in the case of this game). It shouldn't be framed as some recent string of bad decisions.

It's always a bad decision to tie your game to the framerate. Rendering and game logic shouldn't affect each other.

Akronis

Of course it is, but Ghostlight shouldn't be blamed for it.

Oh I don't blame Ghostlight. It's more of just a statement to anyone who thinks this coding practice should even be a thing in the first place regardless of porting opportunities or likelihood. It's just a terrible programming practice.

Nyoro SF

So this game is using the Akiba's Trip engine?
If so a forced 60fps unlock is possible. Akiba's Trip actually displays just fine at 60fps.
The problem was when you unlocked 60fps on Akiba's it caused problems with controller inputs which made the game way harder (I believe it accepted inputs at double the rate).

I'd be much more likely to blame Acquire though; their PC additions for Akiba were abysmally done (the game has a habit of increasing chromatic aberration by 1000% unprompted). I kinda feel bad for Ghostlight now in regards to WotS lol

Bought it and did my part. Hopefully the game does well. Akiba's Trip doesn't look like it did too hot on PC. Acquire's games are all fun in their own unique way, and I'd love to see more of their games on Steam in the future. Maybe some day we'll even get a Tenchu game..... but I'm not holding my breath for that one.

Top Bottom