• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Way too LTTP: Avatar The Last Airbender (Unmarked spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_msu27t1My61shdmqlo1_500.gif

I don't watch animated shows/movies often. Besides stuff like Rick & Morty, South Park, and the rare episode of Afro Samurai, I still have that foolish stigma about cartoons and kids shows. There have been a few exceptions in recent years - The Clone War, Kubo, Zootopia, The Lego Movie - but for the most part, I don't watch cartoons. I'd say Avatar changed that.

I'd heard of the show before. Even watched the first show awhile back, but it didn't really do anything for me. Seeing this thread and noticing that the series was on Prime finally got me to sit down and just watch the show.

It only took three days.

It took quite a few episodes for the show to click with me. The more kid-focused humor was a slight turn-off at first, and while the characters were likeable and the action and world-building were great, I didn't really see why the show was so good. But then The Storm and The Blue Spirit happened, and I was hooked. Those two episodes captured everything that make the series so fantastic, from the handling of its mature themes and the narrative payoff of its more serialized arcs to the character-driven action. In those episodes, you learn about Zuko's and Aang's nuanced backstories, see the badass Blue Spirit in action, get some excellent action as the two work together, and really see how strong Zuko's desire for redeeming his honor is.

After those two episodes, I was in. The rest of Season 1 and the rest of the show was incredible. What perhaps surprised me the most was how it wasn’t afraid to tackle heavy themes and go to dark places without talking down or sugarcoating. This is a show where genocide is the namesake of the subtitle. From the brainwashing and secret police of Ba Sing Se to the Zuko’s inner conflict with honor and destiny, to the struggles with loss and heritage and revenge throughout the series, Avatar is smart, well-written, and nuanced.

Watching the show, it reminded me of the young adult series I used to read as a kid before “rebel against future dystopia” became the trend: the captivating world-building and friend’s journey of Harry Potter, the pathos of Where The Red Fern Grows, the nuance of A Wrinkle In Time. The characters make the show; following Aang, Katara, Sokka, Zuko, Toph, seeing them grow and change throughout their journey was a joy. Zuko especially, his entire arc was probably my favorite in the show. Every season, his story went down a fascinating new path, from exile wanting to regain to his honor and father’s respect the point of sabotaging and fighting his own people, to nomad torn between a new beginning and those desires, to still conflicted returning hero, to mentor and friend driven to end the war. And on the other end, Azula proved to be such a cunning and ruthless antagonist, who wasn’t just compelling because of her effectiveness as a villain but also because of her role in the whole Zuko/Iroh dynamic.

If anything, my biggest gripe is that the Fire Lord felt like such a weak villain. Compared to how well-developed Zuko and Azula were, Ozai was so one-dimensional and...cartoonishly megalomaniacal that even though he’s supposed to be the show’s most fearsome threat and the battle that the entire show was building too, he paled in comparison to Azula as the show’s greatest villain.

(Zuko may be the most fascinating character, but Toph is the best)

On that foundation of fascinating characters and their personal journeys, the show constructed a world rich with history and culture. From the lore and bending arts and philosophies, to the distinct looks and aesthetic and cultural differences between each nation, its people, their beliefs and values, their ways of combining bending with infrastructure, Avatar presents a world that really deserves the kind of expanded universe that Star Wars and Harry Potter got.

Of course, those diverse and distinct bending arts imbued the show’s action with such awesome imagery. The show never disappointed in that regard; episodes like The Blue Spirit, The Chase, The Drill, Crossroads of Destiny, Black Sun, Boiling Rock, and of course the Sozin’s Comet finale featured such inventive and intense fight, but more importantly almost all these fights, especially the ones between major players were never just action for action’s sake, but driven by the story and characters. It gave those epic sieges and duels emotional weight. It’s what make moments like this so effective.

lN1MmEZm.jpg

Avatar isn't just a show; it's a journey. From the innocent early days in the South Pole to the disguised team making through the fire nation, you follow these characters as they grow and change, and see the world with them. It’s part martial arts epic, part travelogue of a fascinating world, part character-driven adventure. I’m very glad to have finally watched the show, and probably better that I watched it now when I can fully appreciate it.

Now onto Korra and the comics.

===

I did watch a few scenes on Youtube from that movie I’m sure everyone loves. A shadow of greatness is too kind a criticism.

Hello Zuko Here!

It's a strange show at times but in the absolute best way possible

-----

Oh god the live action movie was mentioned, fetal positions everyone :'(

Hello Zuko Here!

It's a strange show at times but in the absolute best way possible

-----

Oh god the live action movie was mentioned, fetal positions everyone :'(
Ha, yeah, as I said in the post, The Blue Spirit was one of the episodes that made the show click for me. I watched that part of the movie on Youtube and it told me everything I need to know about that movie.
I decided to check out the Blue Spirit scene from the movie-that-must-not-be-named and it's actually impressive how it completely ruined what was such an awesome chapter in the show. Saying it's a shadow of greatness would be too kind

From the outfit and mask that looks like it's from a bad Halloween costume to the attempt to directly copy scenes from the episodes but failing completely in copying what made them effective, to Aang & Spirit v guards fight/escape being so boring and uninteresting...

It's funny how I never cared about the movie or show before, but now that I'm all into the show, seeing just that one scene tells me everything I need to know about how bad the movie is

The ending of the Blue Spirit is one of the best scenes of any kids show. It so perfectly establishes Aang and Zuko's characters.

Ha, yeah, as I said in the post, The Blue Spirit was one of the episodes that made the show click for me. I watched that part of the movie on Youtube and it told me everything I need to know about that movie.

Yeah I could go on for well ever on that which shall not be named but let's keep this thread positive as the show deserves.

You touch on what I think is one of the most interesting points of Avatar as a show, it's great world-building. I struggle to think of another tv show that builds such a great world of people, places and history without any real previous media to fall back on. It all came from the show, was naturally revealed through the show. It's honestly kind of amazing in that regard.

And then the main characters all being relatable to a certain point, ever changing and interesting further led to truly experiencing the world as it existed through a cartoon show on tv.

Afrocious

Another great quality of A:TLA was how focused it was on its plot throughout all three books. Sure there was filler, but Aang's goal throughout the entire show was to defeat the Fire Lord.

Lots of other shows don't have this kind of focus. Some don't need it. Others wish they did.

Cess007

Azula is an incredible character. Her scenes in the final episodes are my favorite from any animated antagonist.

Another great quality of A:TLA was how focused it was on its plot throughout all three books. Sure there was filler, but Aang's goal throughout the entire show was to defeat the Fire Lord.

Lots of other shows don't have this kind of focus. Some don't need it. Others wish they did.
Yes, it felt like a very focused saga from beginning to end.

Jintor

Azula is an incredible character. Her scenes in the final episodes are my favorite from any animated antagonist.

Her look of complete bafflement when Ty Lee (who herself looks baffled as she attacks) betrays her is astounding, and really sets the tone for her unravelling.

I'm really irritated that ot my mind none of the comics managed to capture ATLA in its entirety. There are a few that are great, but the one that came closest to the series as a whole is a fancomic by someone who ended up storyboarding on it, Rufftoon (it's an alternate universe comic about Zhao)

Altazor

-For so long, all I wanted was for you to love me, to accept me. I thought it was my honor I wanted, but really, I was just trying to please you. You, my father, who banished me just for talking out of turn. My father, who challenged me, a thirteen-year-old boy, to an Agni Kai. How could you possibly justify a duel with a child?

-It was to teach you respect!

-It was cruel! And it was wrong.

-Then you have learned nothing!

-No, I've learned everything! And I've had to learn it on my own! Growing up, we were taught that the Fire Nation was the greatest civilization in history. And somehow, the War was our way of sharing our greatness with the rest of the world. What an amazing lie that was. The people of the world are terrified by the Fire Nation. They don't see our greatness. They hate us! And we deserve it! We've created an era of fear in the world. And if we don't want the world to destroy itself, we need to replace it with an era of peace and kindness.

-Your uncle has gotten to you, hasn't he?

-Yes. He has.

just... chills, man. Zuko's arc is so damn powerful.

Afrocious

Not to make this thread negative, but I think TLA was an oddity due to how quality it was.

The same folks who made the show couldn't strike gold twice (though Nick shares some blame with that, the underlying stories in Korra belong to Bryke themselves).

Zukos character arc really is the best thing in the show.

I'd recommend watching Korra but it really isn't of the same caliber in writing and characters. Season 3 is arguably just as fun and has some of the best action of the series but you gotta go through two ok to horrible seasons to get to it and then season 4 is just disappointing.

If you feel like giving cartoons a try if it involves something not entirely aimed at kids, swing by the Anime OT in the community section and tell us what you want to watch. We can recommend you plenty of fantastic shows and films

Not to make this thread negative, but I think TLA was an oddity due to how quality it was.

The same folks who made the show couldn't strike gold twice (though Nick shares some blame with that, the underlying stories in Korra belong to Bryke themselves).

Korra's major problem was how they made each season standalone in terms of narrative. There's no real overarching plot between them all besides Korra's growth as a better Avatar. This makes the character development marginally less impactful as a result and the antagonists less threatening as you know they'll be gone in X amount of episodes.

Altazor

The finale battle between her and Zuko was practically operatic in its tone and imagery

Yassss!

Loved it. She was so unhinged and the way Katara defeated her and the state she was left in. At that point, she had everything she thought she wanted but was so empty and lonely when it was said and done.

as much as I loved to hate Azula during the series (and she's an amazing villain), I always felt horrible for her at the end of the Last Agni Kai. She was reduced to a broken husk of a little girl who lost the love she thought her father had for her, who lost the respect and frienship of Mai and Ty Lee, who severed every kind of bridge she had with her brother and even the empty power position she had at the top of the Fire Nation was taken from her. Grey DeLisle's performance during those last moments, even if it's nothing but gurgles and babbling, never fails to move me. In the end, Azula was also a victim of a fucked-up family in a fucked-up nation.

It's such an amazing show, to this day it blows my mind what a well-written, thoughtful, mature, and engaging series they were able to create while still having it be something primarily aimed at and suitable for kids.

Also I loved how sparingly and deliberately the Avatar State was used throughout the series. It never was a get-out-of-jail-free card. And the restraint payed off became it made very time that Aang did enter a legitimate "shits about to get real" moment

It really is a wonderful show. Wish there were more cartoons of a similar quality. Legend of Korra is ok but doesn't reach the greatness of TLA.

It's a damn shame shyamalan ruined its chance for a live action film universe :(

Skip Korra like the plague, unless you like watching Mary Sue being rewarded with a Deus ex Machina which completely obliterates her character development.

Skip Korra like the plague, unless you like watching Mary Sue being rewarded with a Deus ex Machina which completely obliterates her character development.

I don't see how such a flawed character is a Mary Sue. Season 1 starts out great and ends badly, Season 2 is bad, but Seasons 3 and 4 are excellent, or at least an interesting follow-up to the original series. The music and animation alone practically make it worth a watch. I hope the creators return to animation again in the future.

So many great emotional moments driven by amazing characters. Off the top of my head:

- Aang finding Monk Gyatso's skeleton
- Appa's disappearance
- Zuko/Iroh reunite
- The Firelord and Avatar episode ending about friendships
- Stomach punch of The Tale of Iroh
- Avatar Yangchen telling Aang that he'll have to sacrifice his spirtual self in order to save the world
- Zuko's fight against his sister
- Zuko and Aang embracing as Firelord and fully realized Avatar
- The entire tea shop scene + kiss

God damn, I might need to do a rewatch

chefbags

giphy.gif

Nah. Korra was some good shit. While not reaching the highs of the last Airbender, it's still one of the best out there in terms of story and character development.

Jintor

Also I loved how sparingly and deliberately the Avatar State was used throughout the series. It never was a get-out-jail-free card. And the restraint payed off became it made very time that Aang did enter a legitimate "shits about to get real" moment

Not only that he spends the entirety of s2 half-fearing it, gives it up, then eventually in a big climactic moment decides to use it (after Zuko betrays them!!!! or, well, doesn't save them) and then BAM AZULA KILLS HIM ANYWAY

there's like four swerves in The Crossroads gawd damn

Crayolan

Damn, you marathoned that quick. It deserves it though. Probably my favorite TV show of all time.

(Zuko may be the most fascinating character, but Toph is the best)

Glad you understand the truth.

Yeah, no worries. The GIFs people always post makes me excited for the action and animation, but really I'm just happy to spend more time in this universe
Keep in mind the cast of characters is not up to par, and that they retread on some established lore in here.

I would highly highly recommend you find a way to skip season 2 though. Out of the whole avatar family of shows it's the worst season.

And if animated fights is something you want to watch you should really consider going to Anime afterwards assuming you want to go deeper in the rabbit hole of animation.

Good to see you finishing this series. Every single one of the main characters in this show has a phenomenal arc of their own, and even the side characters are pretty good. But in my opinion, the highlight is the Fire Nation Royal Family. Even if Ozai was clearly an unredeemable bastard because of plot reasons, the stories surrounding the royals are excellent - culminating wonderfully at the Last Agni Kai.

To be honest, I'd wait a while before starting Korra. You're obviously coming from the high of Sozin's Comet, so the lowest points of TLOK would seem worse when compared to the original series. But you should totally watch it.
Also I loved how sparingly and deliberately the Avatar State was used throughout the series. It never was a get-out-jail-free card. And the restraint payed off became it made very time that Aang did enter a legitimate "shits about to get real" moment
And that's what makes this
so amazing.

Keep in mind the cast of characters is not up to par, and that they retread on some established lore in here.

I would highly highly recommend you find a way to skip season 2 though. Out of the whole avatar family of shows it's the worst season.

And if animated fights is something you want to watch you should really consider going to Anime afterwards assuming you want to go deeper in the rabbit hole of animation.

He can't really skip season 2. Its a bad season, but it basically changes a lot of the universe and it's lore.

Oddish1

A lot of the writers who worked on ATLA left after it ended and didn't come back for Korra. I think Bryke were the only ones who did come back actually.

I don't see how such a flawed character is a Mary Sue. Season 1 starts out great and ends badly, Season 2 is bad, but Seasons 3 and 4 are excellent, or at least an interesting follow-up to the original series. The music and animation alone practically make it worth a watch. I hope the creators return to animation again in the future.

"flawed" lol

someone who is handed everything and receives no negative consequences for her actions is "flawed"

jdstorm

Banned
If you liked Avatar. I'd highly recomend Star Wars: The Clone Wars. It's great.

Korra is pretty polarising. It has some good moments but it never really clicks (except for some of season 3 which holds up pretty well.)

The biggest problem with Korra is that
She's usually an accessory to the action. She's always being punished or looked down on by others. She's always vulnerable or weakened. Even when she wins. It's not usually her own doing.

Season 3 is really quite good though. Kai + Ginora are really great. They start to make it fun again which is a nice change of pace from all the drama around Tenzin ( who I cant stand for most of the series)

If you liked Avatar. I'd highly recomend Star Wars: The Clone Wars. It's great.
It was previously my favorite animated show. Another show that went to some surprisingly dark and mature places, and seeing Ashoka mature as a character throughout that series was great too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom