• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WayForward announces Watch Quest, an exclusive game for Apple Watch

Ivan 3414

What exactly is the issue about the character in the promotional pic being or looking like Shantae?

And what's up with the animosity towards this game that we barely know anything about?

My watch has beeped! There's a game notification.

Aha! I'm in a battle. Hold on. I have to beat this enemy.

Okay. Enemy beaten and the watch goes back to being normal while the game happens in the background.

30 minutes later.

My watch has beeped! There's a game notification.

Aha! I'm at a door, there is a puzzle to solve.

Okay. Puzzle solved. I have a meeting in 10 or I'm driving. Better press the "rest up" button to disable the app notifications until later.

TheOGB

Banned
Y'all better recognize, Bolo knows his shit
lLocpOW.jpg

Also I guess he's a fan of JoJo's

Psxphile

Naw son that's totally some original characters donut steele right there.

Maybe Wayforward subscribes to Osamu Tezuka's Star System? Anyway, I wonder if that Inticreates artist is okay with them repurposing her art like this? Seems a little strange but they're probably banking on familiarity.

Links_fantasy

I really don't see the point in the apple watch or watches in general anymore, when I have a iPhone in my pocket all the time that does everything.

But the screen is so small and my fingers are so big. What's the point? It's not like a child is going to own an Apple Watch.

Well, I hope not.

The only solution is to make a Light Boy for the iWatch.

KiqYHDZ.jpg

Het_Nkik

...That's Ike.

Wait, what.

Ike skipped arm day...and everything else apparently.

Shantae and Poverty Ike team up.

I see Shantae and Ike.

That's not even subtle....

also, the same Fake Ike clip art used 3 times on one poster? They're clearly spending a lot of money and resources on this project.

Ike went from skinny and then to buff and then skinny again. He is the Chandler of the video game world.

Bolo is a Shantae character that debuted in 2002.

Ike's first appearance was in 2005.

So uh...

I don't blame Wayforward for jumping on this early to make some coin off this novelty idea, but why would anyone want to game on a watch?

Sevyne

Kind of funny how people are calling Bolo from the Shantae series, Ike from FE. Bolo existed first...

This still looks like poop though.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This just blew my mind... The watch could make for a really interesting interface for games. Maybe location based ones... Or it could interface with larger games in your pocket or in the cloud. Give characters mission orders on the watch, then when you return to a larger screen, they've levelled up.

Tap Titans would work well on it of course.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Why would they mix pixel art and HD assets? Looks a bit off, especially the font.

Regardless, I hope people that can afford the Apple Watch will enjoy it.

Sevyne

Why would they mix pixel art and HD assets? Looks a bit off, especially the font.

Regardless, I hope people that can afford the Apple Watch will enjoy it.

Easy answer; The background art and character portrait art are ripped straight from Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. All they did was add a hood to Shantae and a cape to Bolo. Probably gonna do the same thing with characters/backgrounds from their other games too.

Not that I take issue with that or anything. I mean, it's just a cheap little watch game after all.

Zubz

Banned
... So it's a WayForward crossover, with an emphasis on Bolo? Should be weird. I don't have an Apple Watch, nor do I ever intend on getting one, but I'll be keeping an eye on it!

Finally, all the ridiculous and bitter NeoGAF* hate towards mobile gaming can be redirected with new furious force towards smartwatch gaming and leave mobile games alone.

* - not all of NeoGAF

Curious to how this is even going to work. From my investigation into the Apple SDK it really didn't seem like you could really do much. Almost everything runs on the phone and is then relayed to the watch.

ArjanN

Gotta get in the market first before everybody else starts releasing all the shovelware

Pretty smart of Wayforward IMO, try to be the big fish in a small pond. Probably not much risk since they can just use the art/spritework from their 2D games.

Apple Watch still seems like a pointless gimmick device though.

I don't get why anyone would ever want to play a game on their watch... Is it too inconvenient to pull your phone out of your pocket on the subway to play a game with both hands?

jwk94

I really don't see the point in the apple watch or watches in general anymore, when I have a iPhone in my pocket all the time that does everything.
I was walking with both hands occupied while sending off seven texts with my moto 360.the thing is useful.

if you read the website for this app it says to expect more character mashups, the point is that the Shantae cast are all adventures in this game.

Griss

Hahaha Bolo gets his own game and it's for Apple Watch? Why do they hate Bolo so? Love seeing Shantae be one of the Apple Watch gaming ambassadors, but this looks terrible
like the watch itself.

Top Bottom