• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waypoint shutting down, all staff laid off

Fox Broadcasting Candace GIF by Empire FOX

Drizzlehell

Banned

It's scary to lose a job, but from what I'm reading here, nothing of value was lost. Oh well, hope the people at the bottom will bounce back and find careers in something that doesn't involve gaming journalism because they obviously suck at it.

PeteBull

Had I bet Giantbomb, Easy Allies or Waypoint would go out first, I wouldve said Waypoint.
With all changes i can tell EZA isnt far from a cliff fall too, man, they lost many good ppl and got no1 interesting as replacement, not to mention full on wokeism, never cared about giantbomb so cant comment on that :p

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The best thing Patrick ever did was cover his eyes in that meme. Tatty bye.

Tams

Vice got big by being a site full of people who went to crazy places and did crazy things. They also encapsulated the hipster ethos of late 00s Brooklyn (when and where they started) and reflected that culture. Then, somewhere along the way, they turned into a more political SJW Bustle for reasons I still do not know. It's been worthless for a long time.

The only current potential buyer who has gone public...

didn't sound like their going to make it any better in that regard... worse even.

A shame, as VICE did in parts seem to be getting some of its mojo back. That said, in places like Ukraine other media outlets have started doing similar pieces, do the competition is pretty fierce.

Amory

Idk anything about this site but resetera is devastated so it sounds like something I would have really not enjoyed

Best of luck to the crew, they’ll find something

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Should be noted this is a guy would cancel, fire, and imprison everyone who has ever posted on post-exodus Neogaf if given the chance. Guy is as far alt left as a REEE mod. No reason to feel bad or defend him though, he'll have no problem landing another 6 figure job at some other tech media outlet. They always fail upward.

Which is also wrong.

. . . and six figures? In an oversaturated industry? No chance.

No one is obligated to give a shit.

No one said you were.

Last edited:

Bakkus

Brilliant news. You are all of course allowed to your opinions, but if supply doesn't match demand...tough luck.

Reactions: WoJ

Corian33

I think the most annoying thing was indeed the vibe that they felt they were somehow essential to “the discourse” and deserved to be paid enough to live in NYC while talking about gaming full time.

Like, that’s the dream and everything, but you are no more important than Joe Shmoe with his YouTube channel that provides straight up gaming content without the politics for 1/100 the budget.

Cyberpunkd

Should be noted this is a guy would cancel, fire, and imprison everyone who has ever posted on post-exodus Neogaf if given the chance. Guy is as far alt left as a REEE mod. No reason to feel bad or defend him though, he'll have no problem landing another 6 figure job at some other tech media outlet. They always fail upward.
I can assure you no one having decision making power on hiring and revenue generation will ever give 6 figures salary for a writer of a video games outlet.

On a related note - aren’t Polygon themed features pretty good?

aries_71

His wife can always divorce and find someone with actual job skills. There's no place for useless fathers in this world.
Wow. What am I missing? Can somebody give me a quick recap of what’s going on with that guy?

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

I think those days are over in the current economic climate where everything that isn't turning a profit is killed ASAP.

AJUMP23

When Klepek was a 1up he ruthlesly ridiculed these gamer kids that started their own gaming show. 1up had brought them to E3 as a joke and Klepek made sure they were made the butt of many jokes. I am sure he is not the same person that treated people that way, but he was a rich kid that made sure enthusiast were ridiculed.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Not to throw salt in their wound. I didn’t read their stuff. It felt too much like an agenda driven site than a video game news site. It’s a finger pointing contest with people who have worked in the gaming journalist industry for X+ amount of years. Hopefully their families will survive this.
I mean, it absolutley was, but i appreciated that they didnt try to pretend it wasnt. Game-spot wanted to pretend to have a political agenda, but then when the money was too tempting, they went and covered Hogwarts legacy anyway, despite their hemming and hawing. Ill give way point credit for not backing down even with financial pressure. Not saying i agreed with way point, but they did not fuck around about what their mission statement was, and they stayed true to their virtues, even if, again, i didnt agree with all of them.

SCB3

Don't worry. Their bubble is getting smaller.

Era realized this when Hogwarts Legacy boycott failed, and Kotaku with the recent blacklist from Nintendo.

Kind of ironic Waypoint mantra is to "fuck capitalism, go home".

Well, now Waypoint staff can go home because they have no job.
Kotaku is on borrowed time and I'm kinda surprised its lasted this long, its been a laughing stock for years in games

ResetEra is propped up by 10's of lunatics in their own bubble, they've banned anyone else, I'll always remember being banned from there for daring to post on here and I proved it!

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
TBH, I though Waypoint shut down years ago. I listened to the podcast the first year (but then couldn't stand Austin Walker anymore, so I unsubscribed) but I never heard from that site or people again.

Hmmm....the more you know

Top Bottom