• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We asked our local grocery store to make a Mario Kart birthday cake...

Ray Down

Banned
Could probably be better, but I find it acceptable. Still better than Balloon Snake

dsfsafdasf.png

730.gif

Javaman

Last year for my son's birthday they spelled it "happy birthday Luck!" Instead of Luke. Wife wasn't as amused as I was.

Cake looks fine. I don't think I could turn 30 and have Mario on my cake. Reminds me of the Game Master Anthony photo where every one comes to party. I just envision oddness.

-MD-

I'd be blown away if a grocery store bakery turned that out, my reaction certainly wouldn't be "well they did the best they could".

FloatOn

someone needs to rock the shit out of that sad mario as an avatar.

god it's pathetic. I just want to give him a gun to end his miserable fucking life

xch1n

Every time I see posts on a video game forum ridiculing or judging adults for having video game items I get really confused.

Like, self-awareness? Also people like what they like? I personally think it's pretty good considering the frosting used and it's definitely clear what the character is from a distance.

Maybe I'm just insecure since I got a Nintendo DS cake as a teenager? I don't know, let people do what they do. I'm an adult and I sure wouldn't be upset if I got a Pokemon or Mario Kart themed cake, especially if a family member or close friend got it for a family/friend party knowing I liked the franchise.

It is pretty great considering where it was done. If you went to a cake place you'd be paying a few hundred and they would have used fondant. Our Mario wedding cake was $400-$600 but they did a wicked job.

SZips

It doesn't really look that bad. I would be upset if that was done at some place that specializes pastries and cake decorations, but for a local grocery store that's really damn good.

It's certainly a hell of a lot better than I (and most others) would be able to do.

Javaman

The cake would look a lot better without that dirty white background. Makes it look faded and dated. Maybe they were going for SNES oxidized look.

NJDEN

I'd say pretty good! I mean what were you expecting?

I've never known themed birthday cake to ever turn out particularly stellar unless paying extremely high dollar.

I worked for a grocery store as a teenager that made us do special order cakes with zero training... I was usually embarrassed to hand over the finished product to the customer and quite often they would just refuse to buy it after seeing it.

I worked for a grocery store as a teenager that made us do special order cakes with zero training... I was usually embarrassed to hand over the finished product to the customer and quite often they would just refuse to buy it after seeing it.
Could you have told the customers that what they were requesting was outside of your skill set? I know, for example, every balloon artist I've ever seen has told me when my first two or three requests are outside of his or her skill set.

Could you have told the customers that what they were requesting was outside of your skill set? I know, for example, every balloon artist I've ever seen has told me when my first two or three requests are outside of his or her skill set.

Most balloon artists don't work for a corporate chain that will fire them.

How many times have you asked a balloon artist for a special request?

Top Bottom