• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We can all agree Kass is the best new character in BotW right?

Purah is adorable and kind of hilarious

tenor.gif

bda18bf7fb8cbe97837f84e550c2dd70.jpg

Purah is pretty neat.

akira28

I like it when Robbie's wife does her impression of Purah. It's hilarious sarcastic and ironic all at the same time.

Akiraptor

I thought he was a prick right up until the Windblight Ganon fight. Then, when he said, "I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but you MUST avenge me, Link!" I could feel the hairs on my neck stand-up.

Such a great moment.. and then it was followed by another great moment: the realization that Kass' accordion was incorporated into the boss fight's theme music.

Agreed. I certainly don't want to throw any shade in Kass's direction.

Only character I didn't like, dlc better make him a 100% better.

Thought the 2 female guardians had a good presence. That's including their respective town, divine beast, and their own characteristics. Felt that both Urbosa and Mipha were both better in those regards. Their town spoke about them unlike the males. Revali while I like him was a trope and wasn't characterized any further by his own village. It's like they didn't even care. His divine beast was the easiest/poor imo. Then the other guy (can't even remember his name) was also hardly mentioned and his ancestor is a whiny baby. Also felt his divine beast was poor. While I like his personality his connection to link was just as weak as Revalis.

Also I know it's a game with "game reasons" but with the exception of Mipha how the fuck did the other 3 guardians lose their respective beast to ganon? They're all capable warriors almost immune to their element.

Only character I didn't like honestly

Well I suppose not everyone is capable of recognizing true greatness. It isn't so often that a Rito comes along that can demonstrate a true mastery of the sky.

:p

Not really into Kass that much, but I like Sidon even less. Love Urbosa. Mipha is lame and has the worst voice actor in the game.

Don't like Purah or Robbie either. They are both pretty annoying.

I guess I don't like a lot of the new characters in BOTW. :-

I rather liked the whole backstory for Kass and
reconnecting him with his family
seemed like the true ending to the game.

But.. there's a ton of amazing characters in this game.. and they all operate on a crazy Westworld style schedule.

I spent a lot of time watching and observing a bunch of the characters as they interact with their surroundings. This includes walking from stable to stable with some of them and observing most of them from afar or up close. Some interesting behaviors with them.. sleep schedules, actions or poses they only perform if you are not observing them at the time. Many of them have affiliations or actions that rely on where other NPCs are or what kind of weather is currently happening.

Example: The kids in Kakariko Village for example.
That whole thing with their Father leaving the Yiga Clain and the Yiga Clan killing their mother. The youngest kid was told by the Father that "Mother is just playing hide and seek." While the older kid knows the true and will let you know as much if you talk to her in the graveyard area during the rain. It's interesting because each of these kids handle grief one way and both the Father and his oldest child are routinely lying to the youngest child. It's kind of horrible.

The arrow shop lady never seems to restock her arrows.. also..
she's still married, but her husband is the cucco guy.. and his obsession drove her to move. She lives in the Arrow shop now, his house is full of remnants of her and his slow descent into.. well.. cuccos.

Kass also has the friendliest design, I feel. Not the biggest fan of birds in general, but he's just this great fuzzy and pleasant birb. Everything about him is interesting and the way his songs turn out is fantastic.

Although I need to know about the Great Bandit Misko. We need to know what he (or she?) looks like.

Just popping in to say that he is second... the best is Urbosa. She is so great and the maybe slightly lesbian undertones are fantastic.

Sorry for the bump, but I just ran into this guy:

oejH7Cul.jpg

And yes, apparently it's male LOL (according to an old lady at one of the stables). His dialogue is so AMAZING! And the way he rattles about when he gets angry is awesome! Definitely one of the best characters!
59keLea.jpg

BY2K

Membero Americo
Purah, Riju, Urbosa, Mipha and Kass are my favorites.

But they all pale in comparison to the five Rito sisters. Adorable!
Who turn out to be Kass' kids!

maxresdefault.jpg

Wait WHAT!?

I never caught on to that! Is it explicitly said or is it implied?

Paine

Neo Member
Sorry for the bump, but I just ran into this guy:

oejH7Cul.jpg

And yes, apparently it's male LOL (according to an old lady at one of the stables). His dialogue is so AMAZING! And the way he rattles about when he gets angry is awesome! Definitely one of the best characters!
59keLea.jpg

Where is he? I've played over 100 hours and been literally everywhere on the map, and I've never encountered him.

Wait WHAT!?

I haven't done all of the riddles for Kass just yet, but if you talk to one of the Rito sisters after doing the side quest for them involving a shrine, she'll tell you something along the lines of that her farther hasn't come home yet because he's studying riddles for shrines. My mind was blown!

Where is he? I've played over 100 hours and been literally everywhere on the map, and I've never encountered him.

South. Near Faron Woods.

Berordn

Wait WHAT!?

When you complete all of Kass's shrine quests,
they explicitly refer to him as dad, and their mother thanks you for bringing her husband home

Just working from memory:
A little south of Lake Hylia is a stable near Faron, and south of that stable is a bridge (or lake?) called the "Horse god" bridge (or lake) and on the other side of the bridge you find what appears to be a great fairy fountain but this character appears instead.

Koizito

Neo Member

He is a little to the southeast of the stable south of Lake Hylia.
If you look closely at the map, there is a split in the road between this stable and a river coming from Lake Hylia. Just follow the south road at this split and you should get there...

Hmmm, i haven't finished yet and i'm about to meet Urbosa sometime soon as she's the last Divine Beast for me but so far for some reason Koko is the best. I think it may be because she's the first person i saw in their "thinking pose" but she looked adorable working out a menu and dawwww when she's crying :(

Rivali is a dislikable prick as far as i'm concerned. Douche.

As for where "Malanya" is...
There's a bridge called "Horse God Bridge" down by the southern stables by Faron Woods. Have a hunt around there. One question though... have you been mean to your horses?

traveler

Not Wario
What I'm getting out of this thread is that there were a surprisingly high number of brand new, beloved characters introduced in BotW despite the sparse story.

Oh yeah, Beedle was always great, but when I refused to trade a beetle with him for like the 5th time in a row, he mumbled about stealing it from my inventory and replacing it with another beetle!

He also mentioned hiring someone else to sneak into my inventory so he doesn't get his hands dirty!

The guy was ruthless in Skyward Sword too.

What I'm getting out of this thread is that there were a surprisingly high number of brand new, beloved characters introduced in BotW despite the sparse story.

Best characters in any Zelda game by far for me. So many of them have very memorable, funny dialogue.

Don't even get me started on how awesome the random Yiga Clan members you bump into are.

I looooved the kids in Hateno spying out the tech institute, to check for that mysterious girl. climbing up trees to get a vantage point, hiding behind bushes...

Brings me back to my childhood scoping out mysterious farmers, and playing junior detective.

Botw is a master class in creating small vignettes involving schedules and characters without becoming patronising or overly verbose.

Indeed. For me, the "story" was of little importance. The real story was woven by the personal journey through Hyrule, the path you took (and the 10,000 detours, all of them worthwhile), and where and when and how you met all these excellent characters.

Indeed. For me, the "story" was of little importance. The real story was woven by the personal journey through Hyrule, the path you took (and the 10,000 detours, all of them worthwhile), and where and when and how you met all these excellent characters.

Yup, absolutely. Contrary to what that thread the other day claimed, this game was all about "showing, not telling" to me. Seeing the various ruined buildings and the location names, wandering through the towns and seeing the various cultures, how they interact with each other and to the Calamity, things like that are just as much a part of storytelling as the memory cutscenes were, if not more.

DirtyLarry

aaaaalmost. close, but its Bolson for me
Is this the dude in the lava town? I have to admit, I barely pay attention to characters in games, even in a game like BOTW. But I enjoy the volcano dudes, especially how they end everything with BRO it seems.
Also liked the flying archer dude even though he was pompous.
But I do not remember their names.

Nerrel

He didn't have a very big part, but Teba was one of my favorite designs. I think that's mainly because Revali was so fucking annoying in comparison that it made Teba seem that much cooler. I wish he had been the spirit for that section instead. Revali is like everything I hate about Falco turned up to 11.

I can't see anyone in the wrong in this thread (aside from the "lol no one is great" shitposters) Everyone in BotW is fun and memorable and great.

I gotta join the Mipha fan club though. I mean, yeah, her English VA is kinda meh, but I thought her story was so sweet and it was really refreshing to see Link have a love interest that wasn't a childhood friend from the beginning of the game (Saria, Ilia) or done in a comedic one-sided misunderstanding (Ruto). I genuinely felt sad that she died and wished they could've lived happily ever after with each other.

JDdelphin

Kass is my boy, I thought I'd get annoyed by his song eventually but I still love it. Hearing it whilst exploring the middle of nowhere is a cool moment.

It was the coolest moment when I first heard it.

Wandering around this big world, stating alive... no friggin overworld music to speak of -apart from the 'tinkley tink tinks' on horseback or in a battle.
Which is ok- I was on board.
Mood setting, ambience, simplicity, etc... but wandering at night in a field and I hear- a melody?
From where?
It's so faint, but it's like a concertina or something...
I triangulate to where it's coming from and the sun is coming up and there is a bird man on a hill playing music all by himself.
"Oh hello, I didn't see you there"
And you talk and you hear his song transform into the zelda theme as he tells you the eternal story and waaaaaaaaoooooooow. Mind blown city.

I'm sure that's how it was for a lot of people. Being drawn to a mysterious tune in a largely quiet overworld was very cool

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I also have to give Kass a lot of credit for being the only character to connect the dots and realize you were the legendary champion (excluding the Zora and Sheikah who actually knew Link 100 years ago). I was pretty shocked when he finally drops all pretense and admits he knows who you are.

I can't see anyone in the wrong in this thread (aside from the "lol no one is great" shitposters) Everyone in BotW is fun and memorable and great.

I gotta join the Mipha fan club though. I mean, yeah, her English VA is kinda meh, but I thought her story was so sweet and it was really refreshing to see Link have a love interest that wasn't a childhood friend from the beginning of the game (Saria, Ilia) or done in a comedic one-sided misunderstanding (Ruto). I genuinely felt sad that she died and wished they could've lived happily ever after with each other.
Mipha states that she and Link knew each other from their childhoods and grew up together. So she's that trope reused once again.

I also have to give Kass a lot of credit for being the only character to connect the dots and realize you were the legendary champion (excluding the Zora and Sheikah who actually knew Link 100 years ago). I was pretty shocked when he finally drops all pretense and admits he knows who you are.

Mipha states that she and Link knew each other from their childhoods and grew up together. So she's that trope reused once again.

Yeah if you look at my post I said "at the beginning of the game" as in introduced in the beginning, because yeah I caught that too. I know, I'm kinda splitting hairs, but it was still nice to see something a little different than the likes of Saria and Ilia. I feel like those two are done in a way that's rather ambiguous where it's left up to the player to decide. With Mipha, I just got a more distinct impression there was something MORE going on but they still leave it ambiguous enough for players to go "Yeah they're just close friends, Link really loves Zelda!"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Kass is best husbando... literally!

Hope he gets more screentime in the champ expac. The preview implies that.

My top 3 favourite random NPCs in BoTW:

1. The armor store shopkeeper in Hateno who hangs out at the corner of the store because she's more comfortable there.

2. That guy in Tabantha Bridge Stable who has the heartiest laughs over everything.

3. That lady in the Gerudo Canyons who cooks meat with jewels and monster parts.

takriel

It was the coolest moment when I first heard it.

Wandering around this big world, stating alive... no friggin overworld music to speak of -apart from the 'tinkley tink tinks' on horseback or in a battle.
Which is ok- I was on board.
Mood setting, ambience, simplicity, etc... but wandering at night in a field and I hear- a melody?
From where?
It's so faint, but it's like a concertina or something...
I triangulate to where it's coming from and the sun is coming up and there is a bird man on a hill playing music all by himself.
"Oh hello, I didn't see you there"
And you talk and you hear his song transform into the zelda theme as he tells you the eternal story and waaaaaaaaoooooooow. Mind blown city.

I'm sure that's how it was for a lot of people. Being drawn to a mysterious tune in a largely quiet overworld was very cool
Damn, I regret first meeting him at a stable now! It must have been so epic encountering him in the wild for the first time.

SoulUnison

Banned
Can't stand Purah. She's almost everything wrong with her niche of Japanese female character design.

I never thought Zelda would be lame enough to pull the "She's really an old woman/magical spirit/1000 year old dragon in a young girl's body" shit.

Top Bottom