• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We have a new Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance trailer

Still don't like the damn zandatsu thing spine grabbing animation. Feel like I'm going be doing that shit waaaaaay too often, again and again and again and again

Still don't like the damn zandatsu thing spine grabbing animation. Feel like I'm going be doing that shit waaaaaay too often, again and again and again and again

Then just don't hit the button to grab spines unless you think you need to. In fact, if you hit the bull's eye but don't grab the spine, the enemy will drop this game's equivalent of a Ration.

Neiteio

Then just don't hit the button to grab spines unless you think you need to. In fact, if you hit the bull's eye but don't grab the spine, the enemy will drop this game's equivalent of a Ration.
Question about this -- if you don't want to do the spine-grabbing "zandatsu" or whatever, can you just drop out of "blade time" and see your sliced-up foe immediately crumple/explode? Would be useful, for those times you'd rather keep the pace of combat smooth and relentless.

Question about this -- if you don't want to do the spine-grabbing "zandatsu" or whatever, can you just drop out of "blade time" and see your sliced-up foe immediately crumple/explode? Would be useful, for those times you'd rather keep the pace of combat smooth and relentless.
Yes.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You're going to have trouble getting S Ranks if you aren't using Zandatsu I think

Like it's the core mechanic of the game. Not sure there's really any way around not using it

It's really not that bad when you're playing it. I think once people play the demo they'll feel alot better about the mechanic in regards to repetition

I hope so. From all the demo videos they give you so much of it, and that seems to be the best way to get S-Ranks, AND there's a ridiculous amount of invincibility frames coming out of it(I saw a video where Raiden stood still right after it, got hit by a rocket, didn't even phase him). Seems to be little incentive NOT to do over and over and over.

Sure, but seeing that B-Rank at the end makes me feel like a big failure. And who knows how important it is on higher difficulties.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Put $25 down at Gamestoooop tonight toward the Collector's Edition on PS3.

Dammit, it's not really worth it. At all. But I'm a sucker for a Kojima LE.

Neiteio

Sure, but seeing that B-Rank at the end makes me feel like a big failure. And who knows how important it is on higher difficulties.
LOL, I like to aim for the top ranks, too, but if I'm really that annoyed by an animation, I could find it within me to suffer a "B-rank."

timnich

I want to pre-order this game, but I'm not sure which version to get. For some reason I remember reading that the 360 version runs better, maybe from the demo? Does anyone know if there is a definitive version?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I want to pre-order this game, but I'm not sure which version to get. For some reason I remember reading that the 360 version runs better, maybe from the demo? Does anyone know if there is a definitive version?

Maybe it's silly; but I consider MGS a PlayStation series, and always choose it on Sony's hardware if there's a choice.

timnich

That's the reason I picked up the MGS collection on PS3. It just seems to me that for this type of game you need the best performance you can get.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Is this still a point of discussion? Just play on whatever's more comfortable for you, or the console on which you can show off to the most friends. I really hope "definitive version" isn't a thing next gen...

And about the B-rank at the end of that trailer, I think they purposefully included it to show it's still pretty tough to get S-rank even with all the varied stuff the guy does. He gets hit a couple of times by the mechs near the end, which probably brought his score down.

Sure, he does zandatsu a few times, but it doesn't seem 'forced' in my opinion - he only does it when it seems appropriate or immediately stylish.

Even if the scoring system is reliant on being as efficient as possible (i.e. using zandatsu), I'll be pretty content playing through the way I want. If it warrants a second run, I'll be going for scores and cutting fools with precision.

Neiteio

PS3 is the lead platform, meaning the platform they developed on and optimized first, if that makes any difference. They've made PS3 the lead platform ever since Sega did a terrible job porting Bayonetta.

So, in other words, the PS3 version should be fine -- and rarely if ever do you see an incompetent 360 port.

Just get whichever one has the controller you prefer. They'll both run at 60fps and look silky smooth.

Up until now, most games that had dismemberment systems only allowed things to be cut in a predetermined fashion. Slicing the enemy in two, for example, would usually mean simply creating one animation of the upper body separating from the lower half.

We, however, have given the player freedom. We don’t know where they’re going to cut. They could choose to cut off a leg or an arm… they could cut horizontally, vertically, diagonally…

At the starting stages of development, there were different ways we tried to express this endless amount of possible reactions through procedural animations. Heads would fly or just plop off without relying on any canned animations.

Ultimately, though, these programmed reactions just couldn’t cross the threshold to become something we thought fully conveyed the intensity of the action, so we decided to undertake the slow, daunting task of creating animations for every thinkable dismemberment possibility.

We’d cut the enemy one way, add an animation, cut from a different angle, add another animation, repeating this process until the end of development, until we eventually were satisfied with the array of reactions we were able to get from each enemy.

http://platinumgames.com/2013/01/17/reacting-to-blade-mode/

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

There's a very good comparison of the demo's already.

http://ps360.ldblog.jp/archives/53826280.html

- 360 version tears more but has a small frame rate advantage.
- PS3 version has better video cutscenes (most of the cutscnes are recorded video files)
- 360 version has better visual effects for moves and stuff.
- PS3 version of the demo had a severe crashing bug, but I don't think that's something that'l carry over into the final game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Woah. All the footage I've seen so far makes the dismemberment and cutting look so smooth and randomized (as opposed to predefined), I honestly thought they were employing some sort of procedural animation technique. If they did animations for every cut possible that's a crazy amount of work.

It still is, I think. The code that dictates the location of the dismemberment is still procedural and free. You can chop an NPC at any angle you like, and they'll dismember appropriately. What they're talking about is the animation set, and the way NPCs react to dismemberments.

Originally they tried a procedural animation system, which would mean backing some animation code would be a physics driven animation system that would dynamically react to dismemberments. Kind of like the way Euphoria animations characters in Rockstar games.

But Platinum scrapped it and instead opted for custom animations, I'm guessing relative to dismemberment positions. So, like, you can chop off an arm in as many ways you can think, but there will be one or two canned animations set for a 'threshold' of the dismemberment. Like, chop an arm off anywhere between the shoulder and elbow, and even though it will dismember correctly based on your cut, the reaction animation from the NPC will be the same.

It still is, I think. The code that dictates the location of the dismemberment is still procedural and free. You can chop an NPC at any angle you like, and they'll dismember appropriately. What they're talking about is the animation set, and the way NPCs react to dismemberments.

Originally they tried a procedural animation system, which would mean backing some animation code would be a physics driven animation system that would dynamically react to dismemberments. Kind of like the way Euphoria animations characters in Rockstar games.

But Platinum scrapped it and instead opted for custom animations, I'm guessing relative to dismemberment positions. So, like, you can chop off an arm in as many ways you can think, but there will be one or two canned animations set for a 'threshold' of the dismemberment. Like, chop an arm off anywhere between the shoulder and elbow, and even though it will dismember correctly based on your cut, the reaction animation from the NPC will be the same.
That makes sense. A really good explanation, thank you. :)

Monocle

Yeah, I think it would be much better if you could shorten or skip the spine grab animation somehow. Really my only complaint based on what I've seen of the combat.

It's strange seeing Platinum hit such an off note. Usually their gameplay is tuned to perfection.

haikira

There's a very good comparison of the demo's already.

http://ps360.ldblog.jp/archives/53826280.html

- 360 version tears more but has a small frame rate advantage.
- PS3 version has better video cutscenes (most of the cutscnes are recorded video files)
- 360 version has better visual effects for moves and stuff.
- PS3 version of the demo had a severe crashing bug, but I don't think that's something that'l carry over into the final game.

Just occurred to me. This'll be slightly annoying, for the alternate costumes. Hardly a major problem though.

Feature

Banned
The first time I saw gameplay for this game.

A few things:
- Hate how the spews out the same line every time he pulls out something of the enemy
- Bad voice acting, especially in the beginning of this trailer
- Enemy bodies exploding
- The police says 'deadly force is authorized' only to put away their weapons and take out their sticks... makes no sense.

deim0s

- The police says 'deadly force is authorized' only to put away their weapons and take out their sticks... makes no sense.

Stupid yeah?

They're cyborgs too and might have a better chance of taking Raiden down in melee combat - but they didn't realize, that the guy is a cyborg-ninja. :p

Endo Punk

I hope they show new weapon gameplay this weekend. We aleady got a glimpse of it last year and I really want to see what a new weapon would offer.

The demo releasing next week, is it the same as the one with ZOE and does it include the patch?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

You're not the first to note this and I'm not sure why people are fixating on this silliness. It's a pretty cliché chain of events. They don't mean planned deadly force. They mean "we're cunt cops and we're going to beat you to death".

Monocle

You're not the first to note this and I'm not sure why people are fixating on this silliness. It's a pretty cliché chain of events. They don't mean planned deadly force. They mean "we're cunt cops and we're going to beat you to death".
This. If you were a sadistic asshole, wouldn't you prefer to beat someone with an electrified bar rather than shoot them? This isn't even video game logic. It just makes sense.

Also, in the MGS world, people probably run around in their cybernetic birthday suits all the time. You can't necessarily blame idiots for missing the fact that Raiden is a badass superninja.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I think the realest answer is that gun enemies are useless in this game

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
As annoying as the pause for the zandatsus can be, when you are playing it's pretty much a breather moment for the person playing. If you ever played the ps2 Shinobi games the moments where the death scenes take place were pretty much your only moments of rest and god damn was it a relief

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
As annoying as the pause for the zandatsus can be, when you are playing it's pretty much a breather moment for the person playing. If you ever played the ps2 Shinobi games the moments where the death scenes take place were pretty much your only moments of rest and god damn was it a relief

YES

Tate is a great comparison.

There's a feeling of satisfaction when you pull it off that I think keeps it from getting stale, much like Tate throughout Shinobi.(which was like, the only thing to Shinobi's combat)

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
What's Tate?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SzzwKLOWOM

the animation that occurs when he successfully clears all enemies on the screen

your goal is to get it every encounter throughout the course of the game and to do it on bosses killing them in the least amount of hits as possible(1 hit possible on most)

comparable to Zandatsu in that it's something that definitely is tiring to watch in videos, but in gameplay it's really satisfying.(especially when you pull off some of the riskier ones in the late game)

YES

Tate is a great comparison.

There's a feeling of satisfaction when you pull it off that I think keeps it from getting stale, much like Tate throughout Shinobi.(which was like, the only thing to Shinobi's combat)
Okay, hearing a positive comparison to Tate from PS2 Shinobi is a massive relief. That freakin' game was right next to MGS2 in terms of games I played the hell out of back in Junior High. I'm feeling a little better about Zandatsu now.

XOF

Neo Member
Just occurred to me. This'll be slightly annoying, for the alternate costumes. Hardly a major problem though.

I'm kinda on the fence about that. I do like that alternate costumes/FaceCamo show in cutscenes in games like Guns of the Patriots, but if you wear alternate costumes during your first playthrough it can take you out of the experience a little (especially if the face is obscured). Of course, that's easily solved by not wearing alternate costumes in your first playthrough. It looks like it won't be a problem in Revengeance, though.

So yeah, finally started playing that ZOE demo on PS3 a few days back ....and discovered that crash bug that I guess everyone else knows about T__T

RangerBAD

So yeah, finally started playing that ZOE demo on PS3 a few days back ....and discovered that crash bug that I guess everyone else knows about T__T

I thought they patched that. Oh well, they're putting up the demo on PSN on Tuesday. Hopefully, it's pre-patched. I don't think they would overlook it.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I thought they patched that. Oh well, they're putting up the demo on PSN on Tuesday. Hopefully, it's pre-patched. I don't think they would overlook it.

Would they patch a demo? I have the 360 demo version that came with ZOE HD. It's locked up on me once.

Llyranor

your goal is to get it every encounter throughout the course of the game and to do it on bosses killing them in the least amount of hits as possible(1 hit possible on most)

comparable to Zandatsu in that it's something that definitely is tiring to watch in videos, but in gameplay it's really satisfying.(especially when you pull off some of the riskier ones in the late game)
Whoa.

Time to pick up Shinobi on PSN.

You didn't play PS2 Shinobi, Fimbulvetr?

Saved yourself some frustration

Hadn't even heard of it until early last year, to be honest. Looks interesting, but I dunno how I feel about having to constantly manage degrading health.

On the other hand, that's some pretty sexy shit.

Top Bottom