• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We have a new Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance trailer

Just caught the Perfect Playthrough vid

...and now I understand the combat system quite a bit better

That was fun, again, except for that Zandetsu thing. It's like playing Ninja Gaiden, except having the same damn button-mashing QTE for every.single.enemy. DEAD-ON! DEAD-ON! BULLSEYE! DEAD-ON!

My own suspicion was Platinum Games came on board and said, "look, we know you really like the sword cutting thing, but there's a reason you couldn't build a game around it. It's one dimensional, extremely repetitive, and just not that fun to build a combat system around. We gotta cut it out."

and Kojima was like, "No. *trollface*"

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Thanks for sharing this, it was great. :)

From the 5:10 mark, how did he not grab the attention of both the MGs? I've played the demo a couple times, and even walking slowly got the attention of one of them. And as soon as I started battling one, the other one came running over. Confuses me... I basically did the same thing on my first play through - that is, I ran toward the guy, snuck up, stabbed his back, sliced him up, and as soon as I came out of slow-mo, the MG was running to attack me.

ezekial45

Banned
That was fun, again, except for that Zandetsu thing. It's like playing Ninja Gaiden, except having the same damn button-mashing QTE for every.single.enemy. DEAD-ON! DEAD-ON! BULLSEYE! DEAD-ON!

My own suspicion was Platinum Games came on board and said, "look, we know you really like the sword cutting thing, but there's a reason you couldn't build a game around it. It's one dimensional, extremely repetitive, and just not that fun to build a combat system around. We gotta cut it out."

I agree 100%.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Well

demo is out on tuesday

Zandatsu really isn't that bad to me, but to each their own

If you want to play NG, I think you should just go play NG. Rising is Rising. I wouldn't go into it expecting it to replicate the experience of any other game.

Yah zandetsu feels really good in the first couple playthroughs but the 3rd time around you feel like it gets repetitive. Thankfully you can cut the red boxes and not perform the Zandetsu (gather spines for same meter and health gain), but I was honestly hoping they would have sped up the animation especially in the air because Radien does a dumb extra physics defying flip to grab the spine...

edit: Also I wish they would have made the spines rarer and only have a couple enemies have the grabbable spines..

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Hadn't even heard of it until early last year, to be honest. Looks interesting, but I dunno how I feel about having to constantly manage degrading health.

on Normal it's barely a factor unless you're moving extremely slow

He's playing on the EX stages in that video which is like post highest difficulty content so the rate akujiki consumes your bar is at its highest

everyone should play Shinobi 2002 easily in my ps2 game top 3

If you want to play NG, play NG. Rising is Rising. I wouldn't go into it expecting it to replicate the experience of any other game.

Just using it as an example. I don't expect it to be NG, but I do expect Platinum not to put such a shallow game mechanic as one of the focal points of it's gameplay. They're usually smarter than that. But again, I suspect they came onto this job as a work-for-hire, and were forced to just make do with what they had.

Top Bottom