• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed - Ep. 73 - 08/12/2011 - SHANE (thats one m one g)

wc_topnews_new_17113.nphd.jpg

Weekend Confirmed - Ep. 73 - 08/12/2011

Legend has it he lives by the Konami Code and topples maniacal bosses with a single Hadouken. Man-God Shane Bettenhausen of Ignition Entertainment joins Xav, Jeff, and Garnett this week, and brings with him an in-depth look at their new game due next week, El Shaddai. But there's much more than it to cover in a Whatcha Been Playin? that includes Dead Island, Hard Reset, and the intriguing Runespell: Overture that combines fantasy RPG with a mythical poker system for combat. In the Warning Garnett takes a moment to reset last week's Diablo 3 rant before handhelds and the ramifications of the 3DS price drop become the central topic of discussion. Xav catches us up on the latest news and sparks some good debates before it all comes to a close with Finishing Moves.

• Whatcha' Been Playin Part 1: Start: 00:00:00 End: 00:29:26
  • Whatcha' Been Playin Part 2: Start: 00:30:00 End: 01:00:50
  • The Warning: Start: 01:01:45 End: 01:31:19
  • Featured music Awdbawl "Fame" produced by Nasty Face: 01:31:19 End: 01:34:09
  • The Front Page news: Start: 01:34:09 End: 02:12:21

Direct Download: 2 hours 12 minutes and 21 seconds

iTunes
Zune
RSS

commandments.jpg

Grisby

W33K3ND Confirmed baby.

Also, Jeff i really agree with that statement you made last week about how ITSP is what Pixel Junk Shooter should have been. At least, thats how I felt while finishing the game over the week.

LiK

HamPster PamPster said:
Did they say he was on? I thought they said he was doing Halo stuff instead

Perhaps I messed up, my head was spinning at the time. Why am I not at PAX? I need to go next year
No, but Ellis would be good. And I agree that John D should be on too.

Morkins

Banned
HamPster PamPster said:
Penny Arcade Expo Live Podcast Line Up:
Garnett
Jeff Cannata
Jeff Green
Shane
Luke
Xav

mother of god

Someone needs to ask Jeff Green how it feels to be valued at $750+ Million dollars since it is clearly no coincidence that EA went after PopCap when he left EA to go there...

Red UFO

HamPster PamPster said:
Penny Arcade Expo Live Podcast Line Up:
Garnett
Jeff Cannata
Jeff Green
Shane
Luke
Xav

mother of god
They should get that Andy Reid dude to return, he had some smart things to say.

JK DUDES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That whole El Shaddai conversation should be summed up as "shallow puddles are the same color as bottomless pits... have fun!"

Red UFO said:
They should get that Andy Reid dude to return, he had some smart things to say.

Andy Reid and Spicer doing more Seinfeld jokes is the opening act :p

Edit:

Garnett, FFT on the iphone is missing the multiplayer. Some of the more powerful items you could steal in the original PS1 game but in the PSP version they were only available in multiplayer (which means you can't get them in the iphone version)

Not a huge issue but when someone told you stuff was missing thats probably what they meant.

DangerStepp

Weekend Confirmed Official Drinking Game said:
Take a drink every time:

Garnett:
* makes a sexual innuendo that doesn't make sense (Neuromancer)
* fakes a horrible impression of a fictional figure or accent (Shadow780)
* laughs really long and hard at something.. like whenever someone says, "long and hard" (DangerStepp)
* repeats something someone else said with a dramatic deep voice (Oni Jazar)
* makes a Canadian joke when Xav is on (LiK)
* says "crux" (DangerStepp)
* stumbles on a word, thus inventing his own word (IMACOMPUTA)
*mentions anything PixelJunk (DangerStepp)
*mentions Flower (DangerStepp)
*mentions drinking wine/scotch while playing a game the "other night" (DangerStepp)

Jeff:
* says something is 'phenomenal' with great enunciation (Neuromancer)
* says "onus" (DangerStepp)
* mentions Heavy Rain or Red Dead Redemption (DangerStepp)
* makes an obscure 80s hip hop reference and commences to sing the majority of the song while Garnett beatboxes (DangerStepp)
* uses "sublime" (DangerStepp)
* says "Gameflap" (DangerStepp)
* says "moment to moment" (Goldmund)

Andrea:
* giggles (Neuromancer)
* admits to never having played an influential or significant game that is more than 2 years old (SkinnyPupp)
* offers harsh criticism and then smilingly admits to it being baseless (Goldmund)

Xav:
* says the f-word (DangerStepp)
* makes his own Canadian jokes (Neuromancer)

The group:
* chuckles appreciatively after a Del Rio remix (Neuromancer)
* mentions: "Torchlight" (DangerStepp)
* says "mechanics" (DangerStepp)
* special guest is annoying (DangerStepp)

Jeff Mattas:
*is a no show--take a stiff shot to make for easier listening (DangerStepp)

MAN GOD!!! YES YES YES!!!!!!!! Coming off a week from an Andrea episode...this is gonna be like shooting up smack after stepping outta rehab.

This is going down in history baby!!

Drink up, GAFFFFFFFF!!!!!

Nizz

I don't know what's wrong with me but I haven't been able to finish a single gaming podcast in weeks, and I only listen to two (this one and Bombcast). Maybe I just sort of burned myself out on them a bit.

Saying that, I am now downloading this one right now and going to listen. That PAX lineup sounds crazy!

purple cobra said:
I don't know what's wrong with me but I haven't been able to finish a single gaming podcast in weeks, and I only listen to two (this one and Bombcast). Maybe I just sort of burned myself out on them a bit.

Saying that, I am now downloading this one right now and going to listen. That PAX lineup sounds crazy!

It's been a pretty boring time (release-wise) in the industry. I'm sure that's contributing.

Osietra said:
I don't understand why people spunk over Bettendorf, he seems to be a shill. Unless its irony?

I have not listend to the podcast yet, but seeing as Shane works for Ignition now he is obviously going to heavily push his game. He still has some great opinions on the podcasts he's been on since the move to the "other side"

Barrett2

purple cobra said:

Same. No games im' interested in makes it hard to listen to podcasts over the summer months.

Rolf NB

Osietra said:
I don't understand why people spunk over Bettendorf, he seems to be a shill. Unless its irony?
He is intelligent, knows a lot of games, and knows a lot about a lot of games. Moreso than certain other people that appear on podcasts.

Osietra

Banned
Keyser Soze said:
I have not listend to the podcast yet, but seeing as Shane works for Ignition now he is obviously going to heavily push his game. He still has some great opinions on the podcasts he's been on since the move to the "other side"
I heard him on the G Lee3 podcast, and he basically came across as a bit of a dick, and was mean to Cannata which was unforgivable.

I'm willing to be benevolent in my judgement and give him another chance.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Osietra said:
We were familiar with him for many years before he worked at Ignition.

Yeah, his job is to shill Ignition games now. Whenever he mentions an Ignition game, take it with a grain of salt.

But his opinions and general personality are still interesting regardless. He brings an interesting fan passion that seems more in line with the average GAFfer.

For what it's worth, Ignition has been publishing the type of games that, knowing Shane, he'd fanboy gush over anyway (Muramasa, El Shaddai).

How much handheld talk is there? Because Shane or no Shane I don't know if I can sit through anymore future of handheld gaming talk. It's become the new 'pontificating over the review' process.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I keep hearing from Shane about how he can't beat FFXIII, the last boss is hard, etc.

He needs to upgrade his weapons. That's it.

That's the whole reason he can't beat it, I'm sure.

Top Bottom