• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield open spoilers thread

Had a guy in a fb Starfield group post these. Take it as a grain of salt though.
Zf2Qg8t.jpg
vPBK6qe.jpg
7Wx1Sc8.jpg
wiTcdXU.jpg
eUw05of.jpg

Hmm seems to be pretty heavy on the life sim aspects. And I honestly don't give a shit about romance options in games, I hope I can avoid those completely. Also hope that there isn't some forced settlement building shit like they had in Fallout 4. That brought the whole game down for me.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The 4chan "spoiler-free story explanation" seems like a mix of Interstellar, Expanse, Space Odyssey, etc. It all sounds intriguing. Let's see how they execute on their vision.

Gorgon

Seeing some potential for boring ass grinding there.

Mining around with a laser gun? Fun for 30 mins and I'm pretty sure Bethesda is going to force you to do that for while to gather resources. Basebuilding will also probably be forced down your throat at some point. Pothographic safari side-missions the same. Also the "find the aliens that will give you new Jedi powers". And only you can "talk" with the alien artifacts; seen that before in Mass Effect, so no wow effect there, just another "you're the chosen one" story frame. Relationships with companions is good, although it took Bethesda 20 years to do so, at least to the level Starfield seems to be doing it. Better late than never, I guess. Hope they're well done, but Beth never seemed to care much for that, so I doubt it will more than the typical "do my mission and get laid" type. Happy to be proven wrong.

Will buy at some point, given that there's so few space-based RPGs, but I'm not super impressed so far. The game will be good, but I'm unfortunately not hyped at the moment. Really want the reviews, impressions, and footage to start coming in.

2x too many rdr2 mentions…I’m out. Fuck all that real life sim BS. I play video games to escape real life.

It’s kind of direction most western devs are going with their games.

They want getaway from their games feeling “gamey” which in my opinion not positive. I like my games to be gamey and I don’t need any of realism crap in order to feel immersed.

Bethesda games were always heavy on simulation. City dwellers go about daily lives, a dragon can attack, riots can break out, you can dupe them, disturb their daily routine etc....

Once you add too many scripts to their behaviour, it starts getting into simulation category.

Most fun part is pushing limits of AI and see what stuff you can pull off. Or just observing how simulation reacts to stuff you introduce.

Guilty_AI

It’s kind of direction most western devs are going with their games.

They want getaway from their games feeling “gamey” which in my opinion not positive. I like my games to be gamey and I don’t need any of realism crap in order to feel immersed.
eh, i think you just aren't looking at the correct western devs. And bethesda definitely isn't one of them, as their games are peak goofy fun and systems exploitage.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Hmm seems to be pretty heavy on the life sim aspects. And I honestly don't give a shit about romance options in games, I hope I can avoid those completely. Also hope that there isn't some forced settlement building shit like they had in Fallout 4. That brought the whole game down for me.

I'll just say it again, but many of these life sim aspects are only fun in an online environment or at least in co-op mode. Building bases alone with NPCs is not really fun or immersive. I hope to avoid these aspects in a single player game as well.

sigmaZ

Sum random leaks, impressions.

1. it's more rdr2 than skyrim. Very immersive life sim style, although you can pick a more adventurous path if you wish
Yikes. I don't like either. But not a good start.
2. The Alien DNA trait you saw in trailers means you can merge your DNA with aliens to gain additional abilities e.g. increased health and oxygen.
That's kind of interesting.
3. It is similar to BG3 in the sense that you can have companions and befriend and romance them.
Good thing if the voice acting is decent and the character models aren't garbage.
4. mining is actually kinda fun
Ok...
5. RDR 2 like bounties
Again, depends on the implementation.
6. Yeah its very life sim style e.g. pay mortgage, consequences for breaking law. You can tell devs are just taking the piss with some of it, like paying for parents retirement.
Not really that interesting on it's own...
8. NPCs are fun to talk to, you can have conversations with them
That's important. I'll have to watch let's plays to get a feel for them.
9. comfy game, especially in the resource management portion
Ok. I'm probably not going to play this. I loath comfy games.
10. You can explore entire planets
Ok...
11. You can fly between planets (piloting the ship) and moons but it does the landing for you
Ok...
12. Flight sim style space flight
Ok...
13. Perk skill checks
That's RPGish.
14. gunplay is much improved
I would hope so.
15. 8th gen i5 and a 6600xt on medium settings runs the game above 60 force
Ok...

simpatico

What does that mean? Like it is an older build?

Because the trees look like the textures are still being loaded or are of extremely low texture quality. Could be the lowest graphical settings uploaded by the OP?
We became lost as a people when we turned our backs on iD's mega textures. We had a better future in the palm of our hands and we fumbled it.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Start Screen looks simple, clean and effective to me.

I agree in that it's very similar to Alien Isolation or even Metroid Dread.

Sometimes less is more.

ManaByte

Gold Member
His take is weird but the responses have been even weirder lol

Even that chucklefuck Forbes contributer is trying to make Nazi connections? Wtf?

Mark Kern is just trying to generate controversy for a X revenue share bribe payout by getting people to respond to his Tweets.

He’s playing with fire though because Tassi is the type of person to remind everyone what a scumbag he is:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
This Starfield title screen "controversy" is the dumbest fucking shit I've read in weeks and I read a lot of dumb shit on a day to day basis.
Yea there’s no real leaks. No one got it from a mom and pop shop? No loose copies falling off delivery trucks? No one sneak a copy from a cd distribution plant? I’m disappointed by all this.

Draugoth

Gold Member
The game is truly spacetaking, i've been playing it over the past kalpa, you can clearly see Elon Musk genious touch all over the game for sure ever since he did that collab with Bethesda,

The most impressive of all is that the game is completely bug free, expect on Terminus and Ageolda where the inhabitants ask you to kill some for them,

I think it might have some extra positive chance points of winning GOTY 2023 over Diablo IV

s4zBI9A.jpeg

Here is my character below, i put 16 times the amount of care making him than i did on Fallout 4, i think the looks breathtaking:

4Stxl3a.jpeg

Camper182

Yikes. I don't like either. But not a good start.

That's kind of interesting.

Good thing if the voice acting is decent and the character models aren't garbage.

Ok...

Again, depends on the implementation.

Not really that interesting on it's own...

That's important. I'll have to watch let's plays to get a feel for them.

Ok. I'm probably not going to play this. I loath comfy games.

Ok...

Ok...

Ok...

That's RPGish.

I would hope so.

Ok...
Never seen a more pointless comment
(Yes i get the irony of my comment)

Mark Kern is just trying to generate controversy for a X revenue share bribe payout by getting people to respond to his Tweets.
Always Sunny Reaction GIF

Your obsession with Musk is pathetic, quite frankly. Just a month ago you were claiming everyone moved to Threads and only bots were still using Twitter lmao
He’s playing with fire though because Tassi is the type of person to remind everyone what a scumbag he is
K. Doesn't change the fact that Forbes Contributor is a joke to everyone familiar with gaming.

StueyDuck

My favorite part is at the end when Tom Cruise lands in front of you and say "we really are Starfield" then the mission impossible theme kicks in and credits roll

Top Bottom