• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed Episode Whimsy | Let's All Love Loving Things

Andrea just criticized Reckoning based on the fantasy names it uses for places and characters, and then completely shrugged off the same fact in Skyrim based on the fact that The Elder Scrolls is a long-running series, as though more than 5% of such names in Skyrim would have ever been mentioned in a prior game, and more than 5% of people playing Skyrim would have played those games and remember such. As though that is relevant at all.

She is a terrible person to have on the show.

Garnett is bad enough to deal with in terms of people whose every statement makes me want to scream, and he's on every episode!

daemissary

I just got around to listening to this and wow...the disappointing year vs not disappointing year discussion was so frustrating to listen to.

Just because there were a ton of really good games doesn't mean the year wasn't disappointing. I was personally very disappointed by ME3, AC3, Diablo 3, Max Payne 3, Need For Speed and RE6. I was slightly underwhelmed by Halo 4, Darksiders 2, Darkness 2 and Dishonored. I was pleasantly surprised by Sleeping Dogs, Walking Dead, Fez, Journey, Borderlands 2, XCom, Amalur and Syndicate. Overall, this makes the year slightly disappointing to me.

And arguing that all of the games were raised up this year is kind of absurd. If Skyrim had come out this year, is there any doubt that it would dominate the GOTY discussions?

eznark

Banned
Everyone keeps overlooking the most disappointing game of the year: MLB The Show. It's the fist time they've stumbled on this franchise and I'm very worried about it going forward. Despite adding nothing, they managed to completely destroy the on the field game.

It's the one reason to own a PS3, and I'm afraid Sony killed it.

JaxJag

Banned
Yeah, I hardly listen to this podcast anymore.

Usually if I have nothing else to listen to that week, I'll play the newest episode of Weekend Confirmed.

I just don't find the podcast very entertaining anymore. Which makes stuff I use to overlook, like Garnet's awful jokes, that much harder to overlook.

newjeruse

Everyone keeps overlooking the most disappointing game of the year: MLB The Show. It's the fist time they've stumbled on this franchise and I'm very worried about it going forward. Despite adding nothing, they managed to completely destroy the on the field game.

It's the one reason to own a PS3, and I'm afraid Sony killed it.
Every post you make includes some type of irrational, gross exaggeration. It's not the one reason to own a PS3 and Sony didn't "kill" it. And these people are casual baseball fans at best. Expecting them to name that the most disappointing game of the year in a year that included ME3 and RE6 is a lack of perspective on your part.

eznark

Banned
Every post you make includes some type of irrational, gross exaggeration. It's not the one reason to own a PS3 and Sony didn't "kill" it. And these people are casual baseball fans at best. Expecting them to name that the most disappointing game of the year in a year that included ME3 and RE6 is a lack of perspective on your part.

Well I guess if you own blurays or something.

KoyukiNL

Neo Member
I've really loved this show over the past couple of years, but I do believe it's starting to go a bit stale (something I've especially noticed after I started listening to the Giantbombcast). Garnett and Jeff(!) are still great, but the show was at it's best when Leahy (or even Xav) was on. It's sad he had to leave. But then again, my disinterest in the show might also reflect this year in video games.

I didn't really enjoy the latest episode. Too much pointless and obnoxious arguing imo. Hopefully this week's episode will be better!

DaBuddaDa

God lol, I wanted to turn the podcast off when Andreas started talking about how everyone has their own tastes and what might be special to some people might not be special to others. No shit.

I can't believe the other guys on the podcast didn't have James's back. This WAS a disappointing year for AAA games.

This. I am frustrated with Jeff, Andrea and Garnett for being completely incapable of understanding the concepts of expectations and disappointment and their inability to separate personal feelings towards this year's games from the discussion. JStevenson was talking about broad sentiment across the internet, but Jeff and Andrea just kept coming back with "well I don't feel that way. Halo 4 was jamazing!" Good for you. The discussion wasn't about you. And this isn't just "oh you crazy, negative internet, always complainin'!" Many very highly respected games writers have said the same thing. This year had a lot of good, when most people expected great, and thus was disappointing. You may disagree with the premises but I don't think it was meant to be a discussion topic seeking an objective truth.

Grisby

Hey, in the spirit of the holidays though I just wanted to thank the WC crew for the podcasts this year. There's been some slips but you guys are still my go to games podcast, right along with the bombcast.

2N1T wins, I'll pick up Tera on Amazon since its $5. I'm not looking forward to the huge download though

Side note: Where do people stand on a new thread for the new year? I'll need to get around to updating the OP in any case. Both TRS and Xav are gone now...

Anyone remember the iOS games they were talking about briefly towards the end of one segment? One guy keeps interjecting with "try so and so" and I think they mentioned ravensword. Anyway, I wanted to know the games they mentioned. If anyone knows the titles or can point me to the timestamp, I can't seem to find it and don't feel like relistening to the whole podcast

Curufinwe

If you have time to play a hypothetical PS3 version of P4 Golden, then you have time to play the Vita version. Really long JRPGs tend to work better on handhelds, especially on the Vita where you can instantly pause the game and go back out to the main menu, and then let it sit in Sleep mode for hours and hours.

My Vita never leaves the house but being able to play it in the living room with the TV on, or in bed, or in the den on the recliner means I've already played P4G for 40 hours since I got a Vita from Amazon on Black Friday.

krae_man

If you have time to play a hypothetical PS3 version of P4 Golden, then you have time to play the Vita version. Really long JRPGs tend to work better on handhelds, especially on the Vita where you can instantly pause the game and go back out to the main menu, and then let it sit in Sleep mode for hours and hours.

My Vita never leaves the house but being able to play it in the living room with the TV on, or in bed, or in the den on the recliner means I've already played P4G for 40 hours since I got a Vita from Amazon on Black Friday.

Portables definately make grinding easier. However if a game hooks you it hooks you regardless of platform. I put 130 hours into Rainbow Moon.

Not really what I was expecting. I was hoping for more 2013 talk. The last few minutes were very interesting thinking about what the new consoles will bring. I too think what Jason said of services is what will differentiate the next gen consoles.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Not really what I was expecting. I was hoping for more 2013 talk. The last few minutes were very interesting thinking about what the new consoles will bring. I too think what Jason said of services is what will differentiate the next gen consoles.

almost think there was too many of us all talking GOTYs to get to that.

also some of us (cough cough) bailed because of potential late episode 2013 talk that we basically can't contribute to at this point.

Mrbob

I've been thinking about this....what if the next Xbox and Playstation are basically the same system? I mean, I'm sure there will be some differences. But if the hardware and services end up being similar it would lend credence to Dyack's one console future.

eznark

Banned
I've been thinking about this....what if the next Xbox and Playstation are basically the same system? I mean, I'm sure there will be some differences. But if the hardware and services end up being similar it would lend credence to Dyack's one console future.

Still pimping your Super XBox idea Bob?

antitrop

The small discussion about Far Cry 3's narrative vs Spec Ops: The Line has me probably about as angry at a bunch of people in a room talking about video games as I possibly could be.

The amount of ignorance and washout about what Spec Ops does from a narrative perspective leads me to believe that these people have no idea what the fuck they're talking about. Especially compared to Far Cry 3, which is by all accounts a trainwreck of a plot with a lot of failed promise. Meanwhile we have a 19-page GAF thread about what makes Spec Ops so special. Someone wrote a 150+ page book about the plot and themes of Spec Ops: The Line. Good luck trying to find someone who even wants to write five pages about Far Cry 3. When the co-host asks the audience in regards to Spec Ops "What fucking game did you PLAY?" and Garnett replies "How much did you really want to "read into" your game?" and that I "only wanted to be impressed by your game" that is downright fucking insulting. Well, Jeff, what the FUCK game were YOU playing? You're the one who didn't get Spec Ops, not us.

I have never felt so personally insulted from listening to a podcast about video games. I and many others have spent a damn good amount of time in the GAF Spec Ops LTTP thread discussing exactly what makes it so unique and interesting and how deep the storyline of that game really goes. Then only to hear Garnett and his two chums blow off everything I and many, many others think about the game in favor of the Alice in Wonderland thematic element of Far Cry 3? Just utterly fucking disgusting.

I'm not angry because I disagree with an opinion, I'm angry because that opinion was formed out of misinformation and a deep lack of understanding from people who are looked at as critical pillars of the gaming community. It's just unacceptable. This is deeper than Spec Ops vs. Far Cry or "Stop hating what I like".

I've been listening to Garnett and his friends since the 1up Yours days of 2006 and WC since Ep 1 but I'm about to delete Weekend Confirmed from my iTunes subscriptions, because I don't know if I can even take them seriously from this point on. Their integrity has been completely destroyed in my eyes.

I'll listen again when Garnett and his co-hosts can talk about a game without ignorantly dismissing and talking down to one, and many, who see something special in it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Honestly, the closest thing you'll get to actual serious discussions about games and what they do is probably the Gamespot podcast. And even then, they are crazy some times (specifically they were on the "entitled" bandwagon when ME3 happened).

That or just listen to old GFW podcasts I guess.

Curufinwe

When the ignorance and conceit levels get too high that's when I have to give up on a podcast. I hit that point with Gamespot's podcast a few months ago.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
When the ignorance and conceit levels get too high that's when I have to give up on a podcast. I hit that point with Gamespot's podcast a few months ago.
Haha, I can understand that.

I think it's because of Geis that my levels for total assholery are much higher for me to totally drop a podcast out of frustration.

Haven't listened to Rebel FM in over a year and I feel like my life is better for it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I know people complain about Andrea for a variety of reasons, but what's really bothering me during this episode is how much of a shill she sounds like for every game she talks about.

Her opinions of a game tend to sound like nothing more than a series of PR bullet points. I feel like she occupies this weird place in games coverage that isn't criticism but isn't official PR, but basically she gets to go to press events and panels and stuff because publishers know she'll take that info and regurgitate it as an opinion somewhere else.

It's fine that she wants to approach games coverage that way, I just don't like it being presented as discussion or criticism (which is, I think, implied by her inclusion on Weekend Confirmed).

demidar

I know people complain about Andrea for a variety of reasons, but what's really bothering me during this episode is how much of a shill she sounds like for every game she talks about.

Her opinions of a game tend to sound like nothing more than a series of PR bullet points. I feel like she occupies this weird place in games coverage that isn't criticism but isn't official PR, but basically she gets to go to press events and panels and stuff because publishers know she'll take that info and regurgitate it as an opinion somewhere else.

It's fine that she wants to approach games coverage that way, I just don't like it being presented as discussion or criticism (which is, I think, implied by her inclusion on Weekend Confirmed).

I'm about half-way through the latest episode and yeah I agree. Her points on games are pretty superficial and hollow.

Yoon's top 3, you crazy fucking bastard (in a good way).

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm about half-way through the latest episode and yeah I agree. Her points on games are pretty superficial and hollow.

Yoon's top 3, you crazy fucking bastard (in a good way).

I was exactly halfway through when I posted.

To be fair to her, her negative criticisms, while not particularly unique or insightful, are about on par with everyone else. It's really her positive opinions that are generally poorly articulated or uninteresting.

mik

mik is unbeatable
You must be talking about the Aliens segment. Truly, utterly bizarre. She can remember off the top of her head the three people (Pitchford, the lead writer, and the actor) who were presenting at the event, BUT, despite playing the game, cannot conjure up one single thing about the gameplay.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I may have not been listening very closely, but didn't Andrea excuse Borderlands 2 for not breaking the mold but then at several points criticize other games for not doing so (I believe Crysis 3 was one)?

I'm not surprised Andrea is back on the show as she is friends with the WC crew, but it's still pretty disappointing. I'll just have to end up skipping episodes again.

Neifirst

You must be talking about the Aliens segment. Truly, utterly bizarre. She can remember off the top of her head the three people (Pitchford, the lead writer, and the actor) who were presenting at the event, BUT, despite playing the game, cannot conjure up one single thing about the gameplay.

To be fair, she eventually does admit that the game doesn't seem to do anything particularly new and that its tie-in to the movie franchise is its main selling point. I've read similar sentiments elsewhere. Personally, I would likely pass this up if I were a 360/PS3 owner, but I'm hopeful the WiiU version will be interesting with the gamepad integration.

Massa

I was afraid to listen to this one after how part 1 ended, but it was quite good. :) Garnett's dig at
Machinima
was even better than Andrew's dig at Bethesda last week.

To be fair, she eventually does admit that the game doesn't seem to do anything particularly new and that its tie-in to the movie franchise is its main selling point. I've read similar sentiments elsewhere. Personally, I would likely pass this up if I were a 360/PS3 owner, but I'm hopeful the WiiU version will be interesting with the gamepad integration.

She admitted because thankfully Jeff and Garnett realized what was going on and kept calling her on her bullshit.

I'm not going to lie, I only really listen to the Weekend Confirmed as it serves as a distraction when I'm at work.

Very rarely has it given me a different insight or revealed a game that had past me by.

They're all very amiable people that I am sure but it's all a bit safe.

I do love Cannata though, only one out of them all that purposefully attempts to explain why he has enjoyed something/admitting when he may have been wrong.

Anyway, not had a chance to listen to this weeks will do so when the opportunity presents itself.

krae_man

The last episode was recorded before Tomb Raider's Multiplayer was announced wasn't it? Save that rage Garnett, I want to hear you vent. A discussion about how sad it is that single player games can't get greenlit by publishers without Death Match, CTF, Horde mode, Map Packs and Multiplayer skins etc being added in would be great.

It would be nice if you could get someone in the game development to talk openly about the influence marketing and/or publisher have over the creative.

Blazyr

The last episode was recorded before Tomb Raider's Multiplayer was announced wasn't it? Save that rage Garnett, I want to hear you vent. A discussion about how sad it is that single player games can't get greenlit by publishers without Death Match, CTF, Horde mode, Map Packs and Multiplayer skins etc being added in would be great.

It would be nice if you could get someone in the game development to talk openly about the influence marketing and/or publisher have over the creative.

Is it even worth my breath?

Tomb Raider...multiplayer. There's two words that really belong together. Whatever. Publishers force such things under the misguided thinking that there's some magic formula for success. And then when that isn't the result go looking to pin the problem on anything that isn't a frank assessment of the game.

Nice way to cap off 2012 with a resounding DOH!

krae_man

Is it even worth my breath?

Tomb Raider...multiplayer. There's two words that really belong together. Whatever. Publishers force such things under the misguided thinking that there's some magic formula for success. And then when that isn't the result go looking to pin the problem on anything that isn't a frank assessment of the game.

Nice way to cap off 2012 with a resounding DOH!

Probably not. It would be nice if some developer/publisher could find another way to make single player games profitable if people really are beating it then trading it in right away like they claim. Underworld having DLC levels is a nice idea, making them 360 only was dumb so I have no idea how good they were.

I'd love a proper Ratchet game with DLC planets with an extra weapon for each, couple of skill point etc. They could do a series of 4 or 5 planets and they could have areas that require buying the later planets to get the item needed on the first DLC Planet for backtracking or something.

I don't know what the solution is, but it's not Death Match, CTF, and/or turning the game into something it's not so popular business model X can be implemented.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The small discussion about Far Cry 3's narrative vs Spec Ops: The Line has me probably about as angry at a bunch of people in a room talking about video games as I possibly could be.

The amount of ignorance and washout about what Spec Ops does from a narrative perspective leads me to believe that these people have no idea what the fuck they're talking about. Especially compared to Far Cry 3, which is by all accounts a trainwreck of a plot with a lot of failed promise. Meanwhile we have a 19-page GAF thread about what makes Spec Ops so special. Someone wrote a 150+ page book about the plot and themes of Spec Ops: The Line. Good luck trying to find someone who even wants to write five pages about Far Cry 3. When the co-host asks the audience in regards to Spec Ops "What fucking game did you PLAY?" and Garnett replies "How much did you really want to "read into" your game?" and that I "only wanted to be impressed by your game" that is downright fucking insulting. Well, Jeff, what the FUCK game were YOU playing? You're the one who didn't get Spec Ops, not us.

I have never felt so personally insulted from listening to a podcast about video games. I and many others have spent a damn good amount of time in the GAF Spec Ops LTTP thread discussing exactly what makes it so unique and interesting and how deep the storyline of that game really goes. Then only to hear Garnett and his two chums blow off everything I and many, many others think about the game in favor of the Alice in Wonderland thematic element of Far Cry 3? Just utterly fucking disgusting.

I'm not angry because I disagree with an opinion, I'm angry because that opinion was formed out of misinformation and a deep lack of understanding from people who are looked at as critical pillars of the gaming community. It's just unacceptable. This is deeper than Spec Ops vs. Far Cry or "Stop hating what I like".

I've been listening to Garnett and his friends since the 1up Yours days of 2006 and WC since Ep 1 but I'm about to delete Weekend Confirmed from my iTunes subscriptions, because I don't know if I can even take them seriously from this point on. Their integrity has been completely destroyed in my eyes.

I'll listen again when Garnett and his co-hosts can talk about a game without ignorantly dismissing and talking down to one, and many, who see something special in it.

Damn, I feel like this is the backlash I would get from Journey fans for stating my lack of engagement and appreciation for the co-op and "adventure" that game hawks my way.

I'm gonna have to play Spec Ops someday though, if only to understand this argument fully on both sides.

antitrop

Damn, I feel like this is the backlash I would get from Journey fans for stating my lack of engagement and appreciation for the co-op and "adventure" that game hawks my way.

I'm gonna have to play Spec Ops someday though, if only to understand this argument fully on both sides.
You would only receive that backlash if your opinions about Journey were ill-founded, disingenuous, and based in misunderstanding. You wouldn't do that, would you?

I'm not angry because they didn't like Spec Ops, I'm angry because they flat out dismissed it and anyone who liked it. That's the difference. "What fucking game were you playing?" That sentence makes me so fucking furious I barely know where to start.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Been listening to WC since episode 1, like most people on here I subscribed due to my love of 1upyours.

I have no problem admitting that every podcast goes through it's up and downs but over the past few months I have felt that the content of the podcast has become stale and the podcast has become something that I have on in the background while I'm doing something else instead of something that has my full attention.

I don't think the blame can be blamed on one person or episode, but about 5 or 6 weeks ago I started to listen to the giantbombcast and the difference is huge, the discussions come across better and the cast on GB come across as a bunch of friends who are chatting about games (and know their stuff) as opposed to a bunch of journalists. The only other podcast that did this was GFW.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire

really?

cuz to me, i think she has the most "mainstream" gaming opinions on this podcast. She likes and hate games for the most straight forward reasons

Not that i agree with her most of the time, but she has the logic of alot of regular core gamers i've spoken to.

krae_man

Okay Garnett, you caught my ear with the Farscape game. I bought the Bluray Complete series not too long ago and I'm just finishing season 2.

lmfao Dead Space 3 talk.

Completely with Cannata on that one. Ain't mad anymore, they are clearly going a different direction with the series, I wish they'd stop pretending that it's the same Dead Space you know and love.

The amount of disappointing comments about Aliens and Tomb Raider being pretty much universal across previews is really alarming. Good for my wallet at least.

Top Bottom