• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

lsslave said:
Nathan I just looked at your shots, you went from a girl to a cat, PUT THE WEIGHT BACK ON MAN! lol

Also I am highly anti-drug so the herb guys kind of make me laugh... (I have a VERY good reason for being anti-drug though, I do drink occasionally but I am better than my alcoholic state but any form of drug, even medical drugs I won't touch unless its extreme importance X.x)

Alcohol is a drug.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Nathan Rain said:
See that's what I'm worried about. I know I seem really active on the forums but it's only because I stay up till all hours and only sleep 4 or 5 hours a nite (some people just need less sleep I've heard).

Anyhow, you basically confirmed my worst fears about the breed, but I think I'll be one of those owners who essentially is in physical contact with their pup every moment I'm home, which should be more than enough.

I got alot to do tomorrow, might go play some Fallout 3 before passing out.

Night everyone :)
I think you'd be happy with a pup like that. Also, if you don't get enough sleep you'll die. lol I know it sounds drastic and shit, but it's true. Good Night! :)

jorma

is now taking requests
Nathan Rain said:
Herb can curb your hunger, help you concentrate. It's too bad that it's so looked down upon.

Congrats though, there's nothing wrong with using something natural to help you achieve a goal IMO.

Indeed. I wont pretend that I use it for any other reason than the high. But I am also asthmatic and cannabis helps tremendously with that as well. I am currently 'clean' since a few months and I've had 10 sick days in two months. Would have been more if i had not been able to work from home. Cant wait to start smoking again (January 1st, that is my new years promise!) so my body can regain some of its lost health.

Alright, I'll chime in. When I was younger I was bigger, and I didn't do much about it. It wasn't till I went away to college where I changed my style. I ate better and started working out. So far I have dropped 20lbs off my waist. It doesn't sound like much, but when replacing fat with muscle, it makes a difference to me.

YYZ

Wish I took a picture earlier on when I started working out again at about June. The difference is noticeable, all I did was do the main exercises in Starting Strength (not power cleans yet though). I didn't really need to lose weight though, but there is a change.

lsslave said:
This thread is so far gone XD

Anyone else have stories/pictures of weight loss?
fyvt5.jpg

1695ef4.jpg

de0gag.jpg

5laypy.jpg

20itct4.jpg

ok here are some pics of my progress and digress

aaronmyra01.jpg

Me and my ex fiancee in 2001, this is after some weight loss but not much

shane.jpg

Me and the mangod at PAX07 Media Room, i was probably about 220 or so

IMAGE_076.jpg

a pic my ex took, I weighed myself the day before 205, this is the lightest I have been as an adult

fatme.jpg

Me and girlfriend number 7 of the year around late August of this year, ive lost maybe 10 or so pounds since this pic

lsslave

Jew Gamer
GodfatherX, I hope your able to fix it again :) perseverance man!

Holy shit Mike, you changed BIG fucking time!

seat

You guys are awesome. Congratulations!

I've lost about 50 or 60 pounds this year. I'll post pics if I can find some "before" ones (I wasn't exactly thrilled about jumping in front of cameras before the weight loss).

I have a question though: Have any of you weight-losers had to deal with loose skin? If so, did your skin eventually bounce back, or was there something you did that effectively helped your skin shrink to your body? I'm sad to say that I have this problem to a certain degree. It's not terrible but I'm certainly annoyed by it, especially since I didn't anticipate it during my weight loss. I still hate taking my shirt off.

I'm not nearly as bad as this guy, but this photo does remind me of myself when I look in the mirror: http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa53/ericseat/superdiet.jpg

McLovin

I've lost about 40lbs in the last 2.5 months. About 70 since I first started 6 months ago, but I sure as he'll ain't posting a pic on gaf :lol Right now I weigh 278 I'm 6'2'' and my pant size is 38x42. It's gonna be 36x42 in a couple of weeks. 6 months ago I was 350lbs pant size 46x42.

Tieno

PolyGone said:
Tieno: hardly recognizable from before to after, and you weren't really fat to begin with
You're the first person to say that looking at that pic but I really was. My bmi was 33, which is in the obese area and it's not like that were muscles. I had stretch marks and everything.

seat said:
You guys are awesome. Congratulations!

I've lost about 50 or 60 pounds this year. I'll post pics if I can find some "before" ones (I wasn't exactly thrilled about jumping in front of cameras before the weight loss).

I have a question though: Have any of you weight-losers had to deal with loose skin? If so, did your skin eventually bounce back, or was there something you did that effectively helped your skin shrink to your body? I'm sad to say that I have this problem to a certain degree. It's not terrible but I'm certainly annoyed by it, especially since I didn't anticipate it during my weight loss. I still hate taking my shirt off.

I'm not nearly as bad as this guy, but this photo does remind me of myself when I look in the mirror: http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa53/ericseat/superdiet.jpg
I had this slightly (though I couldn't really see it standing upright), but at the same time I also fitnessed a bit and now I still do 100 push-ups every day (I'm now at a rhythm where I do them in 7minutes, legs crossed, and on one foot for more effect. First time I had to take 5min breaks with every set of 10). Maybe that helped...
My weight loss happened when I was 18-19 so I was fairly young so I guess my skin shrunk. I still do have the stretch marks but they've gotten fainter and fainter, but you can still see them.

Getting comfortable with your body again, even though it looks completely different, was a big hurdle for me and took way longer. When I was in Japan with my brother last august, the first time I went to an Onsen (public bath house where you have to be naked) with him and a friend, I was really not looking forward to it. I did it anyway and it was kind of liberating (also relaxing and fun way to get over a hangover and prepare for the next night of going out). After getting over that initial mental barrier we did it like a few times a week.

Mar

You guys have heard my story before, but basically I was huge all of my life. But getting a full time job and never having time to spend with my dog anymore, I got motivated to take her for a walk every day. That walk turned into a jog, then turned into a run. I did that for 2 years every day around the park, approx 2km.

Before and after:

beforeafter.jpg

Then my dog developed a heart condition and couldn't make the run anymore (she can't even make half a km walking these days...) so I joined a gym. 2 years of going to the gym and I'm pretty happy with my weight and fitness. Not interested in gaining lots of muscle nor losing more weight. I'd like to tone up a bit in the stomach area though and I devote an entire gym session to that part of my body now. It's not working too well because I drink too much beer...

mecubicles.jpg

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Whoa awesome stories here. I need to get back in the game. Since the weather is now colder I've almost stop going to the gym on weekdays, still on weekends, but man, I hope to have a success story next year, so back to the gym I go today after work.

lsslave said:
I've wanted to make a thread like this for a while but finding a before picture has been hard, I hated having photos done of be before.

EDIT: I forgot to include this earlier, size changes!

From pants I have gone from a 44-46 to a 34-36
Shirts I have gone from a 3XL to a L (I can't go smaller, I already rip the armpits out of these ones, my shoulders are too broad

First, the story:

I used to weigh over 300 lbs, (340 to be exact) with no reason to be overweight, I was a healthy young man but I was very depressed and as with many depressed people I did not go out much and I ate a lot.

On top of that I drank a LOT of soda (a vice I still have a problem with, thank GOD for Coke Zero) instead of water (8 glasses a day now :))

When I was 17 I got into music and my depression started ending, but that didn't change much for me as I still was overweight and still ate far too much (at one point I ate an entire large pizza for a meal o_O)

It wasn't until I was 18 years old and got into a deadly car accident that my life changed, I couldn't move my neck, walking hurt, I lost the use of my right shoulder (I now have limited mobility but it causes severe pain, I have trained myself to ignore it so I can continue living my musical dream, especially now that the emotional drama in my life is finally settling into excitement for the future)

Losing so much made me realize how much life was passing me by, I got over all my fears (heights, etc.) and started living life, as I healed I did more and more, I didn't start working out or doing a diet I changed everything

In terms of diet I cut portion size down, I cut junk food out of my life except special occasions, fast food is completely gone (its at the point now seeing fast food stuff grosses me out), and started smoking because instead of eating when I got stressed I could have a smoke (most wouldn't recommend this but my blood pressure is down, my ulcer barely ever acts up anymore, I am the healthiest I have ever been since I started smoking!)

Exercise is a whole other argument, I didn't do a 'workout' routine (I can't do any resistance training and with my bad knee running isn't an option so there isn't much for me) but instead I literally changed my lifestyle.

Instead of taking an elevator I took the stairs, if I can walk over drive I always will (even in winter, gloves hat and scarf will keep you pretty damn warm unless its windy), and I will never take the close parking spot.

On top of that music has helped keep me moving (will be doing more come January, 3 hour concert :D)

Now, without further adieu, I give you a picture of me from 2003, a picture from the halfway point (a gory halloween costume I did in college!) and several pictures from now (holding my beautiful ESP LTD Eclipse Satin Black ^_^)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/lsslave/ANDY_2003.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/lsslave/31-10-06_1031.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/lsslave/rudeguitar.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/lsslave/sexayguitar.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/lsslave/onguitar.jpg

Wait, you became an emo after losing all that weight!?

Congrats to everyone. Takes will power to lose all that weight.

big_z

wow Tieno the fat version of you didnt look that fat (head not included) for someone near 300lbs...

anyway i got a question for all you that have lost massive weight. hows the skin under the shirt? loose and wrinkly?

Tieno

big_z said:
wow Tieno the fat version of you didnt look that fat (head not included) for someone near 300lbs...

I don't think I was at my fattest there, but I hardly have any pictures of then.
Did some digging and this is the only one I found.
March 7th 2004, I think I started a week or two after that.
24ca1pu.jpg

Then the earliest picture at the other end is december 26th 2004
r26flj.jpg

Nore

Banned
McLovin said:
I've lost about 40lbs in the last 2.5 months. About 70 since I first started 6 months ago, but I sure as he'll ain't posting a pic on gaf :lol Right now I weigh 278 I'm 6'2'' and my pant size is 38x42. It's gonna be 36x42 in a couple of weeks. 6 months ago I was 350lbs pant size 46x42.

You're wearing a 42 length pants at 6'2"? I'm 6'2" and wear 32"

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Tieno said:
I don't think I was at my fattest there, but I hardly have any pictures of then.
Did some digging and this is the only one I found.
March 7th 2004, I think I started a week or two after that.
http://i37.tinypic.com/24ca1pu.jpg[/I]

Then the earliest picture at the other end is december 26th 2004
[IMG]http://i37.tinypic.com/r26flj.jpg[/][/QUOTE]

Wow, you are very handsome.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
This gives me hope. Wii Fit called my son 'obese' the other day. Shit bothered the hell out of me.

Grobda

What's the secret to keeping facial fat off?

I've been 6'0" 160 for five years, but my face makes people think I'm pushing 200. I run ten miles a week, stopped drinking soda a few years ago, and eat reasonably well, but the jowls don't go away!

Is it sodium?

Damn, these before and after pics are amazing.

I wonder how you guys are doing as far as stretch marks or loose skin. Is that an issue at all or is that only for crazy obese people like 400+ pounders who got thin?

Tieno

Dark Octave said:

I wonder how you guys are doing as far as stretch marks or loose skin. Is that an issue at all or is that only for crazy obese people like 400+ pounders who got thin?
Stretch marks are for life (I think) cause they're scars, but they do get fainter/harder to see.
Loose skin wasn't a problem for me since the younger you are the more 'elastic' your skin is (I wasn't immensely fat either like that eastern kid) . Still, this was a big motivator to start sooner than later after seeing some of those examples.

neojubei said:
I have to learn their secret or just get my ass back to the gym and really try harder.
No secret, I didn't follow a predescribed diet either. Just healthier food, smaller portions, less snacking and more excercising. I didn't get to a gym (too expensive and not flexible enough and too much time to go back and forth), I just run outside and do push ups. Very important to only break from your schedule when there's no other choice. I run every day, even when it's cold in the winter or hot during the summer, when it's raining, when I'm on vacation (if don't have much activity) because once you stop the bar has been lowered and it becomes easier and easier to slack off and say "fuck it".
To get that train going is the hardest, then when you see the results it fuels your motivition and now I just run almost every day to improve my condition and eat what I want (within limits).
Grobda said:
What's the secret to keeping facial fat off?

I've been 6'0" 160 for five years, but my face makes people think I'm pushing 200. I run ten miles a week, stopped drinking soda a few years ago, and eat reasonably well, but the jowls don't go away!

Is it sodium?
It's your bodytype, I also tend to show more in the face though I pack pretty much everywhere. Some people gain more at certain areas I think.

Mar_ said:
I'd like to tone up a bit in the stomach area though and I devote an entire gym session to that part of my body now. It's not working too well because I drink too much beer...
No, it's not working too well because spot reduction does not exist.

neoism

Thanks for this Thread! It's motivated me to go even further. I weighted about 330 in 2006, I stopped drinking pop/soda cold turkey.
( The story behind that was I woke up about 6 one day and got online... route shit, well I was trusty so I got a 20oz Vault and drink it in like 1 to 2 minutes. I hadn't ate anything sense the morning prier. I had the worst stomach ache of my life after that. Haven't drank a drap of carbonated shit sense. I drink up to 8 to 12 glass of water a day, sometimes milk(a little) and pulp orange juice!!)
I lost about 35 pounds I was still terribly over-weight so in Jan 2008 we had a loose weight competition at work. 20 people (including me ) put 20 dollars in a pot and the person to loose the most weight in 4 months won. Well, I won lost 80 pounds. I've been 215-225 ever sense. I wanted to loose about 40 more so, today I start!

Mumei

Manics said:
If the car accident had been "deadly", you'd be dead right now.

The other person died.

<_<

>_>

To the TC and others in the topic:

Congratulations on your success.

Thats pretty good Tieno...granted Ive never really had excess fat, but the way to get in shape is through exercise...

Keep on pushing yourself man...try and do some upper body stuff as well

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Dark Octave said:

Got stretch marks and loose skin, if I can ever afford it I am going to get some surgery to clean my skin up because it does look pretty gross...

Manics said:
If the car accident had been "deadly", you'd be dead right now.

Head on collision, I was the only one injured, my neck snapped one way my shoulder dislocated the other way and wrapped around my body

have a better word to describe it?

Seriously though, so many GAFfers have done a great job losing weight, we should have made a Biggest Loser team and cleared out that fucking place lol

aparisi2274

I have been on Weight Watchers for about 4yrs now... I have lost a total of 65lbs and have about 20lbs to go.

I started WW I was 283lbs. I currently weigh around 218lbs.

I went from a XXL shirt to a L or XL

My pants went from a 46 Waist down to a 38 Waist.

here are the pics:

Before:
july20049jz.jpg

After (in Progress):
may20066ip.jpg

Manics

Banned
lsslave said:
Got stretch marks and loose skin, if I can ever afford it I am going to get some surgery to clean my skin up because it does look pretty gross...

Head on collision, I was the only one injured, my neck snapped one way my shoulder dislocated the other way and wrapped around my body

have a better word to describe it?

Serious car accident.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
congratulations everyone. weight loss isn't easy, but it's always completely worth it. a lot of people made some amazing changes here, and i respect you all a lot.

me at 18ish:

120jqwx.jpg

me at 21ish:

24p09c4.jpg

me more recently:

2a6ur1l.jpg

Zoe

Well, I'd post my picture at my heaviest, but I removed it from Picasa after Zaraki_Kenpachi saw it :lol

(maybe I'll re-add it once I'm home)

I've lost approximately 30lbs since then (2.5 years ago). My current goal is to lose 20 or so more.

I lost the first 15 from just working out. At my peak there were days when I would spend ~3 hours at the gym--mostly on cardio-related stuff. I quit that after 6 months though and then stagnated for a while. It wasn't until a year and a half ago that I started to lose weight again. I was living on my own for the first time in 7 years and stopped eating out. So that last 15 came off just from eating very minimally.

Now I've stagnated again. When I started my job, I re-joined the gym, but I also started eating more regularly and snacking at the desk. Of course, those two cancel each other out. So I've decided now that starting today, I'm cutting back again. We'll see how that goes!

Top Bottom