• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

cwmartin said:
Had a pretty significant transformation from freshman year of college to current me in my junior year. Changed my diet completely, no fast food, pork/beef for awhile, or mayo, no soda, did water for a good year and a half, started walking all over campus wherever i wanted to go, one solid healthy meal a day, all the stuff we've heard about. Did a little workout regiment for half an hour a night, nothing major, situps/pushups I just didnt want to feel so lazy anymore. Now my eating is under control, and my walks are even longer everyday, feels good, music helps alot. At my max i got close to 200lbs, im only 5"8 and from pics its obvious i was overweight, and now im at 135, feels pretty good. oh and be nice :p

Before
BEFORE.jpg

After
n9031297_35869337_2247.jpg
n9031297_38336408_6496.jpg
n9031297_38345250_5213.jpg
Awesome, dude. You look great.

Congrats to everyone else too.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I've lost 10kg/22pounds since I started actually trying... it's still coming off but not pics because you can't notice the difference. :/

I still need to lose a fuck ton more, so not making a big deal about it.

Here's my situation. I might add photos later, but we'll see.
Right before I started college I wanted to drop some weight and all that jazz. My goal was to get from 230-225 lbs to a "normal" weight for my height, which is 180lbs.

Nearly four months later, and I'm back home for Christmas break. Checked the scale, and I'm 181.4 pounds.

Mostly switched to drinking water, walking around campus, watching what I eat, and barely working out. When people say how much I've lost weight, I kinda feel bad cause it seems like I've barely done anything.

Goals for next semester are to work out more though.

P.S. I promised myself that when I reach 180 pounds I would get a haircut. Any suggestions? It's kinda just a mop right now.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
killertofu said:
Right before I started college I wanted to drop some weight and all that jazz. My goal was to get from 230-225 lbs to a "normal" weight for my height, which is 180lbs.

Nearly four months later, and I'm back home for Christmas break. Checked the scale, and I'm 181.4 pounds.

Mostly switched to drinking water, walking around campus, watching what I eat, and barely working out. When people say how much I've lost weight, I kinda feel bad cause it seems like I've barely done anything.

You shouldn't have to 'DO' anything though, if you live a healthy lifestyle it just comes :)

I'm not posting pics till the end of January(I've been working on my before/after set for the testosterodrama thread since october 1st), but in a year or so I've gone from over 240 to 176, 5'9". I'm on track to be down to a healthy 165lbs by the end of January, if all goes according to plan.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Great stories/pics here.

I'll probably really start to get motivated when I move within the next week. It helped when I started working full-time half a year ago, though. I've lost about 20-25 pounds since then (though I still need to lose like 40 :lol)

Ace 8095

killertofu said:

P.S. I promised myself that when I reach 180 pounds I would get a haircut. Any suggestions? It's kinda just a mop right now.

Contrary to popular opinion there is little scientific support to the belief that exercising makes you lose weight. That said the benefits of being physically fit are numerous enough that everyone should exercise. I suggest you learn the greatest exercise ever; the barbell squat.

gantz85

Banned
Ace 8095 said:
Contrary to popular opinion there is little scientific support to the belief that exercising makes you lose weight. That said the benefits of being physically fit are numerous enough that everyone should exercise. I suggest you learn the greatest exercise ever; the barbell squat.

Explanation?

Mar

Zoe said:
Personally, that thread is too intimidating as someone who is solely looking to lose weight.

Indeed. For a lot of people who just want to lose weight, fitness freaks preaching routines and gym dos and don'ts scare them away. You don't need to bust your balls to lose weight. Just walking or jogging for 15 minutes a day is all you need to get started.

Mar_ said:
Indeed. For a lot of people who just want to lose weight, fitness freaks preaching routines and gym dos and don'ts scare them away. You don't need to bust your balls to lose weight. Just walking or jogging for 15 minutes a day is all you need to get started.
busting your balls works, though. I've moved from 3 to 6 to just recently 12 workouts a week(9 5K runs, 3 lifting sessions, sundays off), with results improving every time. The most important change(and the hardest) was my diet. It's not perfect, I don't always stay consistent(and I don't like eggs or fish), but I'm getting better at figuring it out every month.

Still got a ways to go.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
God's Beard said:
busting your balls works, though. I've moved from 3 to 6 to just recently 12 workouts a week(9 5K runs, 3 lifting sessions, sundays off), with results improving every time. The most important change(and the hardest) was my diet. It's not perfect, I don't always stay consistent(and I don't like eggs or fish), but I'm getting better at figuring it out every month.

Still got a ways to go.

But you seem to be focusing on the body building, this isn't about fitness, this is about going from big to small and sharing stories

This thread is for the people who want to shed some baggage not those who want to get a 6 pack ;)

(not trying to bash you or anything, but I can see where some get intimidated, and I would rather not bulk up, I work 10+ hours a day *except recently my work ethic has sucked due to pneumonia ;.;* and do enjoy having free time to play games and visit with friends, I have no intention of working out except maybe hitting the gym over the winter for some quick cardio ;))

Ace 8095

gantz85 said:
Explanation?
There is a major problem with the science of nutrition and exercise in this country. Mainly resulting because people have tried to fit the results of scientific studies into the preconceived notions that lowering fat intake and exercising more will make people lose weight. The evidence for that is null. "The importance of exercise in weight control is less than might be believed, because increases in energy expenditure due to exercise also tends to increase food consumption, and it is not possible to predict whether the increased caloric output will be outweighed by the greater food intake." (NIH conference report, 1977)

Koshiba

Wow, awesome job. I've been trying to lose weight for a long time but I have shit for metabolism it seems. I'm not overweight or heavy though, just wish I could shed an extra 15 pounds.. :[ I stopped drinking soda years ago and never did much for me. Only drink water now, don't eat big meals, don't have fast food much at all. Bahhh. >o

For all of you iPhone/iTouch fans, you absolutely must get this FREE app.

It's called 'Lose It', and it's a free (offline) application where you can store and edit your weight/exercise/diet info, including your daily intake separated into various categories. It's a weight tracker with a great amount of customization and offline storage. Perfect for on the go and to know where you stand with your daily intake during your weight loss times.

It stores per day and per week, separates per item and caloric worth. Shows your progression as you enter it and changes your daily caloric intake (allotment) based on your progress (and goals). What's so great about the app as well, is that it allows you to create custom foods with their own calorie values and types.

Here are some pics, and the website. I hope you guys find this useful!

Web: http://www.loseit.com/
Download: Clicky (Free download)

Icon:
mzl.vhyyciwv.100x100-75.jpg

Pics:

MyDayThumbnail.jpg
LogThumbnail.jpg
AddFoodThumbnail.jpg

Koshiba

Shaneus said:
Koshiba: But like has been said though, even though you eat well, it's exercise that makes the difference :)

Yeah, I do that too. =p Just not as much as I'd like to (can mostly only do inside exercises, though I do them every day), I need to be able to afford a gym to do more really. >.<

lsslave

Jew Gamer
A tip for people trying to START losing weight!

Start by figuring how much you eat in a day and your activity

You don't have to INSTANTLY dive into salads and running daily, you will burn out faster

SLOWLY work into the situation, cut down on how much you eat and walk a little more, it makes things a lot easier

By slowly lowering your portions you will actually change how much of an appetite you have!

It sounds crazy, but this adjustment will go farther than any diet will (youll be "OMG IM STARVING" after the 2nd day of dieting)

Remember, you can't spell diet without DIE

Just a small tip to anyone who feels like its hard to start, also remember you didn't get fat overnight it took time just like it takes to lose it

This weight loss council proudly brought to you by the letter X and the number 2!

Edit: ALSO!!!!

Anyone who tells you that you should have a weight loss buddy is WRONG! If they fail so do you, its the same reason why my band is a solo project, people can let you down, make sure you do it for YOU!

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Nathan Rain said:
:lol

Way to motivate em bro! Hahaa.

Unlike some of the posters in this thread I am trying to approach the lifestyle change and not a diet/exercise routine, by changing how you live your life you can avoid both of those things

lsslave

Jew Gamer
killertofu said:
Here's a tip I'd like to share: Don't get on the scale every day.

Do it every week or so.

Discussed a few pages back ^_^ but its a very important tip :)

Weight fluctuations suck, especially after you get past the first 10-20 lbs and then you watch yourself go down and up and down and up you will get SO deterred (it happened to me)

Ace 8095 said:

I read somewhere that losing weight was roughly 80% dependent on diet and 20% dependent on exercise and in my case this is probably true. Last year I started going to the gym 6 days a week (3 days of weights, 3 days of cardio) using some program a fitness instructor created for me and I continued the program for 6 months. Unfortunately, my diet fluctuated due to stress and inattentiveness. After all that time I only lost about 5 lbs.

Also, I'd like to give anecdotal support to those that say they have a slow metabolism. I live with my gf who's 5'2" and weighs 115 lbs while I'm 5'10" ~165 lbs. She can eat more calories than me in a day, not go to the gym and maintain her weight while mine will creep up. I know this violates thermodynamic rules, but dammnit I can document it.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
reggieandTFE said:
I read somewhere that losing weight was roughly 80% dependent on diet and 20% dependent on exercise and in my case this is probably true. Last year I started going to the gym 6 days a week (3 days of weights, 3 days of cardio) using some program a fitness instructor created for me and I continued the program for 6 months. Unfortunately, my diet fluctuated due to stress and inattentiveness. After all that time I only lost about 5 lbs.

Also, I'd like to give anecdotal support to those that say they have a slow metabolism. I live with my gf who's 5'2" and weighs 115 lbs while I'm 5'10" ~165 lbs. She can eat more calories than me in a day, not go to the gym and maintain her weight while mine will creep up. I know this violates thermodynamic rules, but dammnit I can document it.

My metabolism has been medically slowed down to compensate for the severity of my ulcer, sometimes you have to deal with the hand you are dealt, it sucks watching skinny people gorge while you can't but if you want to be fit you have to eat based on what your body uses not what others can eat :)

Mar

reggieandTFE said:

I just can't believe that for a single second. 6 days a week would make you lose weight unless you were only going for 5 minutes a day. Either you put on a shit tonne of muscle and lost a shit tonne of fat, or you're lying.

Ogni-XR21

Ace 8095 said:

It's pretty simple what makes you lose weight:

If intake of calories is lower than used calories you lose weight. That's all there is to it, exercising just adds to the used calories therefore supporting weight loss.

Also, good work everyone.

@Mar_: Nice Tool shirt!

Zoe

Mar_ said:
I just can't believe that for a single second. 6 days a week would make you lose weight unless you were only going for 5 minutes a day. Either you put on a shit tonne of muscle and lost a shit tonne of fat, or you're lying.

Same thing happened to me. It's not that uncommon.

Frester

You guys look great, srsly. I dread the day my metabolism slows D: I used to pig out all the time but have started eating pretty healthy over the summer and really this semester, I need to get my ass running again though, so out of shape.

bengraven

lsslave said:
Anyone can lose weight, all you need is the strength to realize you CAN do it :)

Here's the reason why:

Until I was 18 I was 5'10 and 275 pounds.

Due to a bizarre and embarrassing girl story, I worked hard for 8 months and on my 19th birthday weighed myself. 155 pounds.

My life was radically changed for the next two years until I started gaining it back.

Today I'm 29, 5'10" and 275 pounds. :(

Luckily I have a very cute and tiny wife and a beautiful baby boy, but I hate how I can't even take family pictures because I hate how I look.

Mar_ said:

Minimum of 45 minutes, max of about an 1 hour, 15 minutes. I probably did gain muscle so that could account for some of it, but I'm lying. I'll see if I can get an e-copy from my gym of all the days I was there.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Thats awesome guys. Alot of you have worked hard and dropped weight...alot of weight. This is encouragement for me as I try to lose weight again. I am starting to get back into dieting and working out. Well here is my story...about 3 years ago I weighed myself and I hit 300 pounds. I am only 5'10 so that was alot of weight on my frame. That really scared me so I decided to work-out and diet. Also around the same time I met some really cool people that were encouraging me to go to the gym with them. I decided to give it a go and I actually really enjoyed it. Through dieting and working out on a consistent basis I dropped to 230 pounds in about 8 months. Around May '07 I met my wife to be. Slowly but surely while dating her I let myself go. We were enjoying ourselves going out and eating whatever we wanted. I also quit the gym during that time. Fast forward to last saturday and I weighed myself. I was at 290 pounds. So seems like I am close to being back at my starting point. I have a wedding in July '09 and hope to be around 210 pounds. This past week I have cut back and starting to exercise more and back down to 280 pounds.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
bengraven said:
Here's the reason why:

Due to a bizarre and embarrassing girl story, I worked hard for 8 months and on my 19th birthday weighed myself. 155 pounds.

My life was radically changed for the next two years until I started gaining it back.

Luckily I have a very cute and tiny wife and a beautiful baby boy, but I hate how I can't even take family pictures because I hate how I look.

At least your wife still loves you, and you aren't too old that you can't burn it off again! :)

Most skinny people end up gaining weight in the end as they get older and especially when they are married so its not too shocking it occurred, but it does suck after all the hard work you put into losing :(

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
bengraven said:
Here's the reason why:

Wow we are almost the same. Im 31, 5'10 and 280 pounds.

NLB2

Banned
Ace 8095 said:
There is a major problem with the science of nutrition and exercise in this country. Mainly resulting because people have tried to fit the results of scientific studies into the preconceived notions that lowering fat intake and exercising more will make people lose weight. The evidence for that is null. "The importance of exercise in weight control is less than might be believed, because increases in energy expenditure due to exercise also tends to increase food consumption, and it is not possible to predict whether the increased caloric output will be outweighed by the greater food intake." (NIH conference report, 1977)
Exercise combined with a strictly regulated diet (i.e. counting calories) works, though.

Xdrive05

I'm 5'11" and 260, and I have to say, this thread gives me fucking HOPE. I actually was my thinnest a few years ago in college, down to about 190, then I blew up to about 270 after a few years, got married at that weight, lost about 20 pounds, and now I've gained at least 10 back because of the holiday food.

I'd like to get my shit together and get under 200 again.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Xdrive05 said:
I'm 5'11" and 260, and I have to say, this thread gives me fucking HOPE. I actually was my thinnest a few years ago in college, down to about 190, then I blew up to about 270 after a few years, got married at that weight, lost about 20 pounds, and now I've gained at least 10 back because of the holiday food.

I'd like to get my shit together and get under 200 again.

Christmas = worst time in the world, so much good food its hard to eat balanced diet

I will probably gain 2-3 lbs for Christmas/New Years from all the alcohol consumption, but this year I will be good when it comes to food (I hope) since my show is in January and I am training for that >.<

I struggled with my own weight issues a few years ago. ballooning up to around 315lbs, shrinking myself down to 177lbs in just shy of 8 months, then working on building additional muscle mass. I'm mentioning this because a great tip for all of you that have recently hit your goal is to try to put on some extra muscle. This will, in addition to helping with excess skin (has excess skin been discussed in this topic? I haven't gone through all pages), it also helps shed additional calories. Also, for those that are working on more muscle or any sort of improvements, remember never to be afraid of eating. You did an amazing job, and anything small amounts of "fat" you will put on building muscle will be ripped off your frame. Because you're all obviously posessing the will power to do it.

.. I just thought that might help. It took me awhile to come to the realisation so yea..

Manics

Banned
Pein said:
I seriously need to lose some weight after seeing these pics it seriously makes me want to drop 60lbs

Start off slow. If you being by saying 60lbs, you'll get discouraged along the way if it's not going fast enough. Set mini-goals for yourself, say 10lbs to start, then congratulate yourself on that goal. Also, take pictures of yourself as you're losing the weight, like 1 picture a week in the same clothes and position. You may not notice it as the weight comes off but you'll see it in the pictures.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
lsslave said:
Christmas = worst time in the world, so much good food its hard to eat balanced diet

I will probably gain 2-3 lbs for Christmas/New Years from all the alcohol consumption, but this year I will be good when it comes to food (I hope) since my show is in January and I am training for that >.<

after a year of being good to yourself nutritionally and in your fitness, it's okay to let go a little around the holidays. double up on dessert. it's good for you mentally to have some relief from your strict routine.

whitehawk

Banned
Wow, a lot of you guys haven't just lost weight, but have gotten a lot more attractive. Congrats :)

I'm not fat (I'm 6"2, and 190 pounds) although I could use a bit more muscle. This thread has inspired me, I think I'm going to use the school gym at lunch :D

I_D

Ace 8095 said:
Contrary to popular opinion there is little scientific support to the belief that exercising makes you lose weight.

I saw your explanation, but it still doesn't make any sense.

How would you explain the fact that EVERY overweight person who exercises properly and regularly loses weight? :lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i suggest you go see a stylist and ask them what would be right for your face.

note that i said stylist. not barber. not the econocuts place in your mall.

stylist.

cwmartin

beelzebozo said:
i suggest you go see a stylist and ask them what would be right for your face.

note that i said stylist. not barber. not the econocuts place in your mall.

stylist.

ahhhh the one where all the gay guys smack each others butts while they go between chairs cutting hair? :p

size 8, buzz it all

Top Bottom