• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome "Gab", a Twitter-like safe space for homophobes, white nationalists & sexists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acorn

I...dunno how I feel about this.

On one hand, it's nice to keep this sort of speech and mentality away from tarnishing other platforms. But on the other, I'm not so sure it's good to sequester this sort of mentality, all in one, self-reaffirming, collective pool. The same sort of thing happened on Tumblr to an extent with the whole outrage-culture just feeding itself there.
They do that already anyway.

Lime

It's not really a safe space if anyone can join, is it? Hardcore echo chamber is probably a better fit

Anyone can join but as soon as you say anything like "women are human beings", you'll get a million harassers. Their hate practices ensure their safe space from anyone daring to question bigotry.

Acorn

If you're fucking frogs and getting warts you have only yourself to blame
DopeyDecentHanumanmonkey.gif

Darknight

Hoping some hackers can go and fuck their shit up. Fuck those guys.

Deep down you know alot of conservatives are going to love these types of sites though. The though of them lashing without repercussion is too good to be true to some.

Love it when people who scream about safe spaces are run off to their own safe spaces. If nothing else, I welcome this if it helps the FBI focus its resources into a single place. They might as well put a sign on their backs.

Serious talk, they're going to get really bored really fast without innocent people to insult and pick fights with. It'll be nothing but self-reaffirming one line statements and dank meme reposting without that. I suppose they could link out to other places where others are being insulted and harassed! And there's no such thing as too many of the dankest of dank memes, if that's your thing.
The though of them lashing without repercussion is too good to be true to some.
They already lash out without repercussion, lol. Social media services give zero fucks about banning their types of behavior.

There will always be a "safespace" for people. ALWAYS an echo chamber. That is the way of the world. Kept in one place, they can peddle their toxicity to each other.

So, good for them. They can get the hell out of my 4chan.

Red Frost

Banned
So...its a platform that most of their base can't use for their favorite hobbies?

I imagine on paper, it's meant to be an "anything goes" zone as far as hurling insults at certain groups and having people agree with them. Think more of a Stormfront version of Twitter, though broader as non-white supremacy stuff would ideally be encouraged for the site owners if they want to compete with Twitter.

In practice though....>_>

Lime

There will always be a "safespace" for people. ALWAYS an echo chamber. That is the way of the world. Kept in one place, they can peddle their toxicity to each other.

So, good for them. They can get the hell out of my 4chan.

The problem is that 1) they radicalize each other and reinforce their worldview about how non-white people, women, homosexuals, lower class social groups, etc. 2) they coordinate and plan their harassment campaigns and focus their efforts on specific targets 3) they hype each other up and create lies to justify online terrorism of marginalized people

HotHamBoy

Gamefaqs is for things that get banned on NeoGAF

Gamefaqs is one of the saddest sites I've ever been on. Anything remotely genuine and constructive, or even seeking valid and on-topic advice, gets shitposted into oblivion. There is zero discourse. It is the worst things about the video game fan community all in one place.

Good fucking riddance to that garbage.

Sparse

8chan is for the things that get banned off 4chan.
Gab is for the things that get banned off Twitter.
Voat if for the things that get banned off Reddit.

So if this is your trifecta of social media outlets, maybe reassess your life choices.

PSqueak

Banned
Gamefaqs is one of the saddest sites I've ever been on. Anything remotely genuine and constructive, or even seeking valid and on-topic advice, gets shitposted into oblivion. There is zero discourse. It is the worst things about the video game fan community all in one place.

I still chuckle thinking about that guy who posted about how christmas was ruined because Undertale won the stupid yearly poll.

Regiruler

Gamefaqs is far more useful for looking up information about games than GAF is or ever will be: NeoGAF's structure simply doesn't lend itself well to finding and sharing detailed information. For niche games, the site does it's job quite well.

I had to actually use it not to long ago when I was unable to get good answers in the Federation Force OT because I was the furthest person along in the game. Meanwhile Gamefaqs had an encyclopedia by comparison.

Damnit they really are doubling down on the frog thing. Thats's like a handful of cartoon characters and memes that we're going to lose if we don't stop this shit.

They can have slippy the toad thats a freebie.

Anarky

Banned
I still chuckle thinking about that guy who posted about how christmas was ruined because Undertale won the stupid yearly poll.

The entire debacle over Undertale winning that poll was hilarious. You'd think someone killed their dog or some shit.

Camjo-Z

Technically things like this and Voat and 4chan aren't safe spaces because anyone really can say whatever they want - of course, even though you won't be outright banned or silenced, you'll still essentially get the same effect by being consistently ridiculed/downvoted into oblivion if you hold an opinion that goes against the grain, and this irony is completely lost on the angry conservatives and edgy teenagers that tend to populate these sites.

So unlike twitter, fb and other platforms you can't actually see the posts without signing up?

I thought twitter was already a safe space for them.

PSqueak

Banned
Technically things like this and Voat and 4chan aren't safe spaces because anyone really can say whatever they want - of course, even though you won't be outright banned or silenced, you'll still essentially get the same effect by being consistently ridiculed/downvoted into oblivion if you hold an opinion that goes against the grain, and this irony is completely lost on the angry conservatives and edgy teenagers that tend to populate these sites.

So technically left leaning people could join in mass and drown them with liberal politics and the mods wouldn't do jackshit about it?

JP_

Banned
I...dunno how I feel about this.

On one hand, it's nice to keep this sort of speech and mentality away from tarnishing other platforms. But on the other, I'm not so sure it's good to sequester this sort of mentality, all in one, self-reaffirming, collective pool. The same sort of thing happened on Tumblr to an extent with the whole outrage-culture just feeding itself there.

Maybe I'm out of the loop because I just use tumblr as a source of reference images and follow mostly retro-cyberpunk image blogs, but this whole tumblr stereotype just feels like a myth to me -- or at the very least, hugely overblown. Like I'm sure there are crazies out there but it sure seems like the myth of tumblr being a bastion of outrage-culture is bigger than the actual outrage-culture scene ever was.

So technically left leaning people could join in mass and drown them with liberal politics and the mods wouldn't do jackshit about it?

Yup, which is why its silly when people keep saying they made their own safe space. They made a place where anything is allowed, the exact opposite of a safe space.

Jacob

Maybe I'm out of the loop because I just use tumblr as a source of reference images and follow mostly retro-cyberpunk image blogs, but this whole tumblr stereotype just feels like a myth to me -- or at the very least, hugely overblown. Like I'm sure there are crazies out there but it sure seems like the myth of tumblr being a bastion of outrage-culture is bigger than the actual outrage-culture scene ever was.

"Outrage culture" is a charged term but Tumblr is a very socially liberal/progressive leaning site, by and large. There are of course exceptions and but it still shows through in many sub-communities on the site, even ones not expressly dedicated to social justice. Most of my experience with Tumblr has been GIFsets but I was pleasantly surprised to discover earlier this year that they have a pretty active Tolkien fan community with a lot of really knowledgeable and eloquent people. A lot of them talk about social issues as well as fandom stuff, but it's a refreshing alternative to some of the more conservative-leaning Tolkien messageboards I've visited. I don't think there's anything wrong with either, though; different sites develop different cultures and sometimes their norms align more or less with a specific real world ideology. It's rare to see an organized harassment campaign originate from Tumblr so more power to them.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Why did they have to bring frogs into this frogs did nothing wrong :(

Yeah. I hate it when these awful groups try to besmirch the names and images of innocent, oblivious creatures like frogs. Frogs are cool. Frog is my favorite character in Chrono Trigger. Don't make me think of the dregs of society when I look at a frog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom