• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome to Wii U's BC for Wii: It's a console within a console! :(

FyreWulff

The PSP too? What about the Vita?

I think in the PSP/Vita's case it's a matter of the rights being cleared to distribute it on a new platform. So yeah, same situation Nintendo has in having to go around and okay the rights for each game. Because as far as I know, the Vita PS1 games are actually the Vita emulating the PSP emulating the PS1..

RedSwirl

I think in the PSP/Vita's case it's a matter of the rights being cleared to distribute it on a new platform. So yeah, same situation Nintendo has in having to go around and okay the rights for each game. Because as far as I know, the Vita PS1 games are actually the Vita emulating the PSP emulating the PS1..

PS1 games were pretty much always immediately available on the PSP after they got the PS1 BC to work on there. It was never a game-by-game basis.

FyreWulff

PS1 games were pretty much always immediately available on the PSP after they got the PS1 BC to work on there. It was never a game-by-game basis.

Don't you have to buy the PS1 titles for your PSP via PSN, though, on an unmodified system?

In that case, they simply had a large swaths of rights cleared in advance for whatever update added PS1 emulation. For Vita, it sounds like they have to re-clear rights. The disparity of which region gets which games seems to indicate this.

Fox Mulder

This is a clunky ass method of BC. A separate mode for wii games, including VC titles, plus having to use old wii controllers.

I want to play the two Galaxy games, but I'll wait to see if nintendo does a New Play Control type thing or HD collection with some Wii games.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
If you play Wii games through your Wii U on an HD TV they DO get upscaled, be it by the actual console or by your TV. I think you are talking about upping the internal render resolution of the games. This is not something Wii U, nor any other console does and would not reliably work without game-specific patches.
Pretty sure the 360 has an OS-level upscaler. As in, if you set the system menu to 1080p, then the console will output a 1080p signal even if the game is running at 720p (or whatever). I need to double check, but I'm pretty sure that's how it behaves based on my experience with video capture hardware. (Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.)

Forced 480p/480i is the only aspect of known Wii BC details that's bothersome to me. A console-level upscaler would most assuredly cause less input lag than those found in the vast majority of 1080p TVs.

Terrell

This is a clunky ass method of BC. A separate mode for wii games, including VC titles, plus having to use old wii controllers.

I want to play the two Galaxy games, but I'll wait to see if nintendo does a New Play Control type thing or HD collection with some Wii games.

I'm getting the opinion that people don't know what the word "clunky" means anymore.

You hit an icon and your system BECOMES A WII. That's the epitome of backwards compatibility.

And you really expected not to use Wiimotes to play Wii games? smh

Risette

A Good Citizen
Pretty sure the 360 has an OS-level upscaler. As in, if you set the system menu to 1080p, then the console will output a 1080p signal even if the game is running at 720p (or whatever). I need to double check, but I'm pretty sure that's how it behaves based on my experience with video capture hardware. (Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.)
It's a hardware level scaler, but yeah.

Medalion

Banned
Trying out Wii-mode right now and playing Twilight Princess

My TV says it is still in 1080p mode but the image is clearly 480p but scaled via HDMI and the TV

It looks... cleaner than before, but then again I had another HDTV before this so it may not be the most accurate of tests but I think the Wii game looks decent enough to me

CLEEK

Trying out Wii-mode right now and playing Twilight Princess

My TV says it is still in 1080p mode but the image is clearly 480p but scaled via HDMI and the TV

It looks... cleaner than before, but then again I had another HDTV before this so it may not be the most accurate of tests but I think the Wii game looks decent enough to me

Sounds like the playing PS2 games on the original 60Gb PS3.

Playing a PS2 hooked up to my HDTV with component gave very mixed results. Some games looked OK, others looked like arseholes.

The simple act of having the PS3 scale the image and output 720p (over HDMI too) cleaned everything up and games looked great again.

Top Bottom