• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome to Wii U's BC for Wii: It's a console within a console! :(

So wait, it was announced from the start that Wii games would be rendered in 480p/i. Are we saying that's the display resolution too, or is there an upscaler involved?

No upscaler = valid reason for genuine fury. TV upscalers are horrible, and so Wii games are basically unplayable on certain TVs due to the sheer horror displayed onscreen.

Don't PS3 and 360 upscale PS2 and OG Xbox games? (I have no idea)
The PS3 definitely upscales, because they don't look like complete garbage on my TV.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
For all the Nintendo Being Nintendo remarks, does anyone consider technical barriers due to the fact that Wii software was never designed for a console that didn't exist yet?

It's not like everybody else does it better on consoles, not with solid BC/quality emulation. 360 BC is a mess with inconsistent emulation, and the emulator more or less takes over the console. Play a PS1 or PS2 game on PS3, and it also locks out the normal XMB functions and capabilities, I thought.

Play a DS game on a 3DS and it goes into DS mode, turns off 3DS specific network functions like spotpass.

The biggest objective problem here is the controller limitation as observed above. Seems they should have been able to find a way for the U game pad to emulate a classic controller plugged into a wiimote. Only requiring a wii remote for games that need one.

But otherwise, it's disappointing but no real surprise. Unlike the PC where direct x and operating systems have had continuity engineered in for a while now, consoles are still far behind that.

Pooya

Don't PS3 and 360 upscale PS2 and OG Xbox games? (I have no idea)

360 adds 4x MSAA to all OG Xbox games and upscales too (not rendering in higher resolution)

PS3 BC upscales PS2/PSX with some kind of linear filtering

it doesn't go back to 480p display mode in neither, it doesn't render at higher resolution but it upscales the image.

OMG Aero

-You must download all WiiWare/VC through the Wii Shop Channel, not to be confused with the Wii U's eShop. It's unclear whether or not you'll have to re-download all of your old downloadable games through the shop or if they'll come over in the Wii To Wii U transferring.
I really want to know how they will handle future Virtual Console games on the Wii U.
Either they release them through the Wii Shop channel only which would be fucking dumb or they release new VC games through the eShop so you then have two separate sections on the same console for VC which would be even stupider.

Gilby

I still have my GC too, but I don't have a classic controller so unless I buy one, I can't play my SNES and N64 stuff. Not mention the classic controller isn't particularly comfortable and has to be tethered to a Wiimote.

I would be SHOCKED if they didn't eventually release a patch that let you use the pro controller for VC stuff. Kinda surprised it's not there at launch.

test_account

XP-39C²
This is actually news to me. I knew about Wii backward compability of course, but i didnt know that it also had the Wii OS running. I thought maybe it was just to put the Wii game in and it would boot.

Kai Dracon

So wait, it was announced from the start that Wii games would be rendered in 480p/i. Are we saying that's the display resolution too, or is there an upscaler involved?

No upscaler = valid reason for genuine fury. TV upscalers are horrible, and so Wii games are basically unplayable on certain TVs due to the sheer horror displayed onscreen.

The PS3 definitely upscales, because they don't look like complete garbage on my TV.

Wii U has HDMI - is it even possible to send 480i over digital? Wouldn't it have to be upscaled in the console to 720 or 1080p depending on what the console was set to output over HDMI?

360 adds 4x MSAA to all OG Xbox games and upscales too (not rendering in higher resolution)

PS3 BC upscales PS2/PSX with some kind linear filtering

it doesn't go back to 480p display mode in neither, it doesn't render at higher resolution but it upscales the image.
Yeah, this is what I was hoping for/expecting from Nintendo. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to include BC at all.

I want a definitive verdict from someone that has a WiiU!

Wii U has HDMI - is it even possible to send 480i over digital? Wouldn't it have to be upscaled in the console to 720 or 1080p depending on what the console was set to output over HDMI?
I've never heard of sending 480p/i over HDMI, but I don't know enough about the spec to say whether or not it's possible.

Durante

I never expected graphical enhancements, but this whole virtual machine interface / distinction between titles seems very inconvenient.

Mileena

Banned

PS3 BC upscales PS2/PSX with some kind of linear filtering

ok so this is just Nintendo being Nintendo

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I still can't believe it's going to play Wii games without any sort of filtering or AA option at all.

What a wasted opportunity.

I still need a way to get my old Xenoblade Save file over to the Wiinception

save files should be no issue using SD card file folder transfer on a PC right?

just a save file nothing else

I will be very surprised if it doesn't upscale to whatever the WiiU display resolution is set at.

I still need a way to get my old Xenoblade Save file over to the Wiinception

save files should be no issue using SD card file folder transfer on a PC right?

just a save file nothing else

They've confirmed the wii transfer program will transfer saves, if that is what you're talking about.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The launch PS3 had hardware BC, and it still did upscaling.

Yep. I remember playing a wipeout PS2 game on it and you had options for filtering etc... And that was 7 year old hardware.

Kai Dracon

ok so this is just Nintendo being Nintendo

Hardware BC vs software BC.

Hardware = identical but reliable.

Software = possibility to add filtering, upscale, but buggy without a wrapper for each game individually.

Xbox 360 BC is not great. Lots of games have broken visual effects, can crash, and some features / game modes don't work.

Edit: Launch PS3s did have a very basic filtering option for PS2 games, but it couldn't really do that much. It was not the up-resing people might imagine. I thought it was about as much as you can realistically do with hardware BC.

If Wii U is upscaling the 480p content in the system before sending it out over HDMI, there may be some filtering or clean-up applied anyway. DS games on 3DS have some filtering applied and it is hardware BC. It was also tweaked/improved later during a 3DS firmware update, or so I thought.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I nt the gamepad thing is more about wiimote support than anything else. Technically the Wii mode sttill has to output through the WiiU HDMI cable, so it should be simple enough to divert to the gamepad.

Mileena

Banned
Hardware BC vs software BC.

Hardware = identical but reliable.

Software = possibility to add filtering, upscale, but buggy without a wrapper for each game individually.

Xbox 360 BC is not great. Lots of games have broken visual effects, can crash, and some features / game modes don't work.

oh I know how terrible 360 BC can be (I tried playing the KotOR games on my 360 lol) but it can also be pretty great (Ninja Gaiden Black looks fucking awesome)

I guess I just wanted some graphical enhancements for when I experience Xenoblade for the first time

I will be very surprised if it doesn't upscale to whatever the WiiU display resolution is set at.

They've confirmed the wii transfer program will transfer saves.

hell no I have homebrew, I don't want to use that just want my save files for the game and keep my old Wii account where it is but have saves on SD on the Wii U for when I am lazy and don't want to boot my old Wii. I'll work it out save files should be nothing.

What are the news here? We knew since last year that the Wii games would run in 480p.
It's still a bummer that they couldn't allow BC outside of the Wii shell, but it's either that or foot in the door for piracy.

Hey guys it's just 2 GC's duct taped, what did you expect.

In all seriousness, someone PLEASE make that "I don't know how much you guys know about the console market, but I am an expert (...) Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot (...)" post, this begs for one!

They've said for a long time that Wii games wouldn't be uprezzed, and given I already knew that VC titles were Wii executables with emulators for that system packed into every one, I'm not surprised about that either. All I expect from Nintendo is that if I have a VC title on Wii and they re release it on Wii U's shop that I don't have to pay for it again.. not unless there are significant extras or improvements. Let's wait and see on that.

We're lucky it has BC at all, at least we can still transfer all our content and still retire our old systems from the entertainment center shelf and we know for sure 100% that everything will play on it.

I care more about getting new stuff anyway.

Rich!

Why is this even an issue? At least we know we can play our entire Wii catalogue on the console with no issues.

If this way of doing it annoys you then you're in for a shock with the ps4/720. Considering the ps4 isn't going to have Cell as a processor, it rules out BC almost entirely.

Diablos54

This is going to cost Nintendo huge.

They are basically saying "F U" to the 90 million Wii owners with this.

Unbelievable
My sarcasm detector is broken, right?

This is sorta how I assumed Wii BC would work, since we've known for ages that it was hardware based and not software.

moozoom

They never promised HD / enhanced Wii games so not surprised there.

The always active OS and this way of emulating the Wii seems directly inspired by the anti-piracy mesures they have taken since the 3DS release. I guess they don't want to let an open door in the Wii U by running Wii software directly (most of the people I know have soft-modded their Wii, never bought a game again after that and no, they don't give a shit about homebrew ).

I hope they won't remove this feature with the next hardware iteration of the Wii U, like Sony did ( still really pissed about it ).

Unbelievable

Just like the Wii with a Gamecube mode screwed over the Gamecube owners? Or the DS with a GBA mode screwed over the GBA owners? Or the 3DS with a DS mode screwed over the DS owners?

Give me a break. Nintendo has been doing backwards compatibility since 1998. It's a staple features of their consoles.

jimi_dini

All sorts of BluRay bonus content says Hi.

Of course it's possible.

Unbelievable

Yeah. Fuck Nintendo. I want broken software emulation of a few selected titles like on the 360 instead of PROPER HARDWARE BACKWARD COMPATIBILITY.

Eh, my only real complaint is that I'll have to (finally) invest in a Wii classic controller to play my VC SNES and N64 games, thanks to no Gamecube controller compatibility.

Unbelievable

Offering full system transfer and full BC is saying F U now?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I never expected graphical enhancements, but this whole virtual machine interface / distinction between titles seems very inconvenient.
This
Why isn't it possible to create a Wii u "shortcut channel" for Wii vc and wiiware? Just like forwarders in homebrew. The console would still enter Wii mode, but at least you could access everything from the same interface.
Similarly, adding optional mlaa to the rendered image and sending it to the game pad should be feasible. This sounds more like a measure to prevent piracy than an actual hardware limitation..
The worst part is effectively having two different online stores for different content.. That's just incredibly short sighted..

MarkusRJR

What are the news here? We knew since last year that the Wii games would run in 480p.
It's still a bummer that they couldn't allow BC outside of the Wii shell, but it's either that or foot in the door for piracy.
The real news is that Wii Shop Channel is still going to be around along with the eShop. That pretty much means the VC is dead because no one is going to open up the old slow store unless they absolutely have to (eg. If they make us redownload our WiiWare/VC games). I'm worried we'll have to deal with eShop money and Wii Points independently also.

By the way, why is there a ":(" in the topic? Having access to the Wii OS is pretty cool i think.
Segmented DD stores, no Game Pad support, NES/SNES/N64/TG16/GEN Virtual Console dead, barebones as fuck. I knew it wouldn't be in HD but not even having games listed in the Wii U's menu is just lazy.

Top Bottom