• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Well, I'm getting a camera down my throat today (endoscopy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hip Hop

You'll be okay OP. :)

They put you under mild sedation so you are kind of in and out of it the whole time. The sedation really puts you into a state of relaxation.

The first thing they will do is spray some cherry flavored numbing spray into the back of your throat to prevent the gag reflex. It doesn't taste that great, and the flavor is a bit strong so you may cough.

They then lay you on your side and put in a mouth piece which you bite down on. The mouth piece has a hole where the scope is then fed through.

The procedure is typically pretty quick and it will be over before you know it. Let us know how it goes when you're all done!

Will do!

and it's time. Heading up there now.

inb4OPNeverRepliesBack

Liberty4all

Banned
Jesus, that sounds bad lol. I hope they do put me under fully, or I'll have to ask for it.

Recently I've been taking Fish Oil softgels so thanks for the recommendation, I'll keep an eye on that brand.

yeah it was bad lol. Made me scared to death of the procedure.

Regarding the Fish Oil brand I recommended, it has other stuff in it like green tea extract (also very good for GERD).

At night time try Camomile tea ... very relaxing. I drink Tazo brand which is wonderful. Alot of the time GERD is stress or diet related.

On the diet side try cutting out different foods you normally eat or drink to see if it makes a difference. Coffee, cola and alcohol are big causes often. I found taking smaller meals helped alot too.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Not quite the same thing, but I hate a tube down my throat during a surgery several years back and supposedly that gave me a horrible case of hiccups that lasted a couple days. Don't know an endoscopy can do the same thing, but that alone was pretty miserable.

TUSR

Banned
I've been pig roasted at the hospital with these tests. Did you have to swallow the tracking paste?

inb4OPNeverRepliesBack

sPxtTIZ.jpg

J/K of course, since you have a good sense of humor about this, :). Good luck!

All I know is that I was given a sedative on my vein and slept for 3 hours. Then some pictures of my stomach magically appeared in the hospital a few days later. Weird.

Oh god. Was there a reason why they couldn't go through your nose? Was it a long time ago maybe? Mine were recent so between going through my nose and the super thin camera I hardly knew what was happening. It did feel weird to swallow though.

Was about 6 years ago roughly. Going through the nose wasn't even an option. Neither was being put to sleep. The thickness of the cable was about the thickness of a little finger, maybe a little thinner.

gastroscopy.jpg

I think the doctor was a little rough though as he said he'd put it in my mouth and then asked me to swallow and it would slide down, but like fuck. He just shoved it in. I tried to grab it, but a male nurse fucking twice the size of me pulled my arm back and held it and 2 female nurses held my legs. I was already laying on my side on my other arm so I couldn't move.

Add to that the constant gagging as if you got 2 fingers down your throat and you can imagine what it was like for a few minutes! Though I did calm down slightly during the end. I had tears and everything!

I still remember walking out of the hospital with my ex not wanting to talk about it lol.

King_Moc

Banned
I've had it twice. The sedation did nothing at all, but the stuff they gave me to swallow did completely numb my throat. I had to be conscious for some reason and had to swallow the tube all the way down my throat, gagging the whole time. Then they pumped my stomach full of air, causing me to burp and gag continuously. I'm not doing a third!

Your experience may vary, some seem to think it's not so bad.

Lubricus

My dad had it done the other week. He says he only took a couple of minutes and he didn't want to be sedated and that the most important thing is to swallow then they tell you, in his case it turned out it was cancer so i hope it turns out better for you.

That's bad news. I'm saddened.

guek

Banned
Having performed at least 3 dozen endoscopies, trust me when I say you'll be fine, op. They'll put you to sleep and you won't remember a thing. Worst that'll happen is a sore throat after. You'll do great!

Jayhawk

I had this procedure a few years ago. The only bad thing I remember is the starving beforehand for the anesthetic to work. I was starving the whole morning while waiting for the procedure, and was anticipating the meal after. Falling asleep in a room and waking up in a different room was a cool sensation.

I'm a nurse and did some shifts on endoscopy in the past, seriously you have nothing to worry about, don't be scared. Al of my patients woke up smiling, it's a very gentle anaesthetic.

Just had an Endo/Colonoscopy.

The actual procedure is nothing (thank the Gods you didn't have to do Colon prep the night before). You'll transport through time to an hour or two later, so don't fear the anesthesia.

fuck suprep/colon prep. that shit was ass.

OP, I work in a lab that does manometry for kids that have swallowing issues and yea as other people have said you'll get sedated before they put the scope down. Also yea sedation does wonders, 5 seconds later and you should be out and not remember anything

Jado

Banned
In my experience: as soon as it begins, it's over. You will wake up like no time had passed and will get a sore throat that gets a little worse in the few hours following the procedure. Get some lozenges for the pain.

RPGCrazied

Been there. When I had my gallbladder out a few years ago. As soon as you lay on the table and put the mask on, you are out. Literally in seconds, wake up hours later in your room. How it was for me anyway. I didn't even have that much discomfort, other than a sore throat kinda when I woke.

Had this done about a month ago. Didn't get put asleep. Just numbed and throat and went in through my nose while I was sitting up.

Hip Hop

phew.

Honestly, that was one of the better medical experiences I've had. Didn't even notice when I fell asleep. They did a full anesthesia (Don't know what they call it, but I was knocked out).

Feel fine right now, just a little gassed up. But yeah, went great. They didn't seem to see anything serious from initial impressions, just a bit of redness, nothing crazy.

Will be a while for results, but I'm relieved. Thanks everyone.

DarkFlow

Banned
Just had an Endo/Colonoscopy.

The actual procedure is nothing (thank the Gods you didn't have to do Colon prep the night before). You'll transport through time to an hour or two later, so don't fear the anesthesia.

lol that's pretty much how it feels. Having Crohn's disease I've had more then a few Colonoscopy's.

The early days can be rough but it'll become second nature for you know it :) I don't think there's any type of organized CeliacGAF. It's a pretty good idea though as diagnosis numbers continue to skyrocket. I'll be celebrating my fourth anniversary in October and have always been happy to help people navigate the diet.

Yeah, definitely. The worst part is that it's been about 3 months of what I believe to be a gluten free diet, but my symptoms (bloating, nausea) haven't really subsided all that much.

I'm thinking I may go lactose/dairy free as well and see if that helps because I've read that you can have lactose intolerance as your intestines start to heal.

phew.

Honestly, that was one of the better medical experiences I've had. Didn't even notice when I fell asleep. They did a full anesthesia (Don't know what they call it, but I was knocked out).

Feel fine right now, just a little gassed up. But yeah, went great. They didn't seem to see anything serious from initial impressions, just a bit of redness, nothing crazy.

Will be a while for results, but I'm relieved. Thanks everyone.

Awesome! That's exactly how it was for me. I was really nervous beforehand, sitting in a hospital, connected to IV, and all that, but it was really soothing almost. All I remember was them wheeling me into the room and telling me to lay on my side. I don't remember anything after.

I have a vague brief memory of me gagging and coughing which may have been a lapse in the sedation but it's so brief I'm not even sure it happened.

edit: sorry for dp -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom