• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Well today my house almost burned down, so that was fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
So I was sleeping in late today and I woke up smelling something funny. When I wake up my vision seems hazy, so it takes a few moments to realize that my entire family room was engulfed in smoke (I was sleeping on the couch, don't ask). I run into my storage room and the second I open storage room door the acrid black smoke is filled half way in the entire room, you had to crawl to go beneath it it was so thick. But out of fear and adrenaline I just run in immediately, and almost instantly the oxygen goes out my lungs and fear takes over me. I run to the back where we have a storage room bedroom that we used to let guests stay in, and I unthinkingly try to open the knob and it burnt my hand viciously. I managed to open it the rest of the way with my elbow, and through the near total blackout I see a fire on my curtain and the floor carpet. It is clearly at the turning point, on the cusp of getting beyond any of my control.

I run out and tell my fiancee who was sleeping already (I should have woke her up the second I saw the smoke, right? Wasn't thinking) to run out of the house immediately and call the Fire Department. The upstairs wasn't as filled with smoke yet, so breathing was OK but it was starting to get to the phase where it was filling up too. But I don't want my house to burn down while waiting for Fire Department, so I grab a bowl and fill it with water and rush back into the room in flames and toss it on the curtains. That took out some of it, but due to the fire going out a bit even more smoke billowed from what I had put out and made it even more difficult to breathe.

So I ran back outside into the snow and I'm on the floor hacking up black phlegm. After 30 seconds or so, I make another run upstairs to fill a bowl with water and again rush into the room and toss it on the fire by the window. My thinking was i could break/open the window from outside and then fight the fire with my water hose which was close by that downstairs window. So I put that out and use gloves to open up the window (which is cracked and half melted so not easy at this point) but we do get it out and I start to put out the carpet fire with the hose. Then the smoke is clearing a bit on that side and I notice there is fire all on the old mattress and blanket that is pretty seriously deep. So I spray that for a while, and my next door neighbor comes through with a fire extinguisher and we use that. At this point it's basically cinders from what I can tell, but the fire guy arrives and say the wall is warm so they had to check with thermal cameras to see if there might be fire in the walls or something.

Anyway after that they started investigating and they questioned me for a while about it, the Fire Chief guy kept questioning me as if there was some sinister reason the house caught on fire. I guess there was an old liquid in the room they thought could have been something illegal, but it turned out to be just like a really old moldy Hawaiian Punch bottle that someone hid under the one bed. It was gross and smelled gross.

Anyway, long story short is we finally got to put the fire out, but there was a few lessons I learned definitively.

1. It is unbelievable how quickly things can get out of control in a fire. Like, you really can't be a hero after a point... if the fire was even slightly worse, I doubt I would have been even able to make it to that back room without fainting. The smoke was just suffocating and debilitating. Second time I ran into the room I tried to cover my face with a sweatshirt, but that only helped ever so slightly. It was insane and genuinely terrifying. Future self must remember not take such risks.

2. Like they teach you in elementary school, don't just grab onto door knobs willy-nilly. 'Cause even though the fire didn't seem very close to my door when I opened the room, the door knob was still hot as fuck and gave me pretty severe burns on my hand.

3. Smoke smell gets fucking everywhere and is like impossible to get out. I've been cleaning walls, steam vac carpet, put all my clothes into the wash (still got many loads to go) and stuff is still coming out smelling like smoke. Probably going to have to get rid of my couches and carpets maybe curtains altogether.

fireburnzwuwe.png

That's my house layout, tomorrow I'll take some photos of my burnt out room so you guys can have a laugh at that.

My heart is still beating a bit fast after this event, and I am so relieved my entire house did not burn down, but I tell you what... I respect fire safety advice 100000x more than I already did, and I already thought I had healthy respect for that! I'll be buying some fire extinguishers, getting new fire detectors (heh, sort of... disconnected them in my house 'cause they were making an annoying beeping sound and I was too lazy to properly replace them... *cough* SHUT UP I LEARNED MY LESSON NOW) and definitely not playing hard and fast with my life in the next event like this.

I cannot describe enough just how terrifying that was to me. I mean clearly the fire wasn't too insane because I was able to save the house using my own hose mostly, but it felt completely out of control... and now it does not surprise me in the least when people die or whatever. The smoke will suffocate you quick as fuck if you don't take quick action. I guess I never realized how quick that process can take place.

zeemumu

Hmm, so I need to drill through the back wall to steal your computer. Thanks, OP.

In all seriousness fire sucks.

Amir0x

Banned
Any ideas on what caused the fire?

Right now we're operating on the assumption that the lamp had faulty electrical wiring or something since the fire marks according to the Fire Chief were generally emanating from that central point. Can't really be so sure. He just kept asking me over and over if I was SURE i hadn't used the room in a while, and I said "yeah man that room is ancient it's a mess frankly nobody has been in it in like two years" but because of that there was a bit of an extra mess on the floor that let the fire catch on quickly. Guess the bit of a fire hazard mess + faulty electrical wiring is the best guess.

railGUN

Banned
That really sucks but why no smoke alarm?
Edit: never mind, you disconnected them?? Figured that'd be lesson #1 on your list.

Ala Alba

Right now we're operating on the assumption that the lamp had faulty electrical wiring or something since the fire marks according to the Fire Chief were generally emanating from that central point. Can't really be so sure. He just kept asking me over and over if I was SURE i hadn't used the room in a while, and I said "yeah man that room is ancient it's a mess frankly nobody has been in it in like two years" but because of that there was a bit of an extra mess on the floor that let the fire catch on quickly. Guess the bit of a fire hazard mess + faulty electrical wiring is the best guess.

Figured it was something like that.

I guess I should make sure that I don't leave stuff plugged in for long periods of time without checking to see that it's still in good shape. I dunno, I'm not an electrician.

I don't know why, but I laughed at seeing a MS Paint in a GAF thread, which is tradition by now :p

But yeah, good insight, thanks.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't know why, but I laughed at seeing a MS Paint in a GAF thread, which is tradition by now :p

But yeah, good insight, thanks.

I'll have some real photos up later as soon as my fiancee comes back with her tablet. You guys will have a nice laugh at this :p

Yeah I remember a period in time that I was too lazy to replace the battery on my fire alarm. Never again!

They made this most annoying chirping sound and so the day I disconnected them a number of years ago it was middle of night and I couldn't sleep due to them chirping so I just completely disconnected them all.

Then I never put them back together or got the batteries, due to laziness. Definitely lesson learned. I find I am much lazier about doing small relatively easy things than big things, it's really strange. Easy to put the small things in the back of your mind I guess.

In any event, I definitely learned my lesson. I bet I would have been woken up much earlier before the fire got to that point had I had my fire detectors properly up.

Nikodemos

I always keep electrical stuff I'm not currently using unplugged.

Can't you get smoke detectors that wire into your mains and have a backup rechargeable battery? So you don't have to keep replacing batteries?

jesu

Scary.
The amount of cables behind my TV always leave me half wondering if it's a fire hazard.
Then reading news stories about house fires gets me para too.

Lucky escape for you OP, could have been dreadful if you never woke up.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Glad to hear you and your fiance are alright. Sounds like a very scary situation. It reminds me that I need to go check my smoke detectors tonight.

Do you have fire insurance?

Saganator

I always keep electrical stuff I'm not currently using unplugged.

Can't you get smoke detectors that wire into your mains and have a backup rechargeable battery? So you don't have to keep replacing batteries?

Not sure about that, but I have seen fire alarms with a crazy battery that is supposed to last up to 10 years.

Virus

Banned
I disabled my smoke detectors recently due to the annoying beeping...
I can't imagine to have been in your shoes. The fear you must have felt in the depths of an adrenalizing and unforseable situation that could have rendered you homeless or even dead. Thank you for illustrating this event in such detail.

Amir0x

Banned
Glad to hear you and your fiance are alright. Sounds like a very scary situation. It reminds me that I need to go check my smoke detectors tonight.

Do you have fire insurance?

I have fire insurance for the house, I'm gonna call Monday about all this stuff but I was unsure if it was worth it. Like, do they pay for clean up at least? 'Cause it's just the one room that is burnt out, not like it caused much damage to any property I care about other than the smoke smell being on everything in my house.

The ancient bed and mattress and whatnot in the burnt room is obviously fucked, and the room needs to have its walls torn out now and the window replaced but beyond that it's basic clean up stuff.

Volcane

I don't think you should of returned into the house to fight the fire, and opening the window was a bad idea as you'd just feed it more oxygen; as a fire requires fuel, heat and oxygen.

Glad you and your partner are ok.

Violet_0

Banned
you already mentioned it but smoke is nearly always the main cause of death when a large fire breaks out. Gotta be really careful

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I have fire insurance for the house, I'm gonna call Monday about all this stuff but I was unsure if it was worth it. Like, do they pay for clean up at least? 'Cause it's just the one room that is burnt out, not like it caused much damage to any property I care about other than the smoke smell being on everything in my house.

The ancient bed and mattress and whatnot in the burnt room is obviously fucked, and the room needs to have its walls torn out now and the window replaced but beyond that it's basic clean up stuff.

I'm not an insurance expert. But I do believe repair to the room the fire destroyed and things in that room should be covered. Depending on what your deductible is it may or may not be worth it.

Mii

Banned

You may want to consider still deleting this thread for insurance reimbursement purposes.

Mr. F

Banned
I don't think you should of returned into the house to fight the fire, and opening the window was a bad idea as you'd just feed it more oxygen; as a fire requires fuel, heat and oxygen.

Glad you and your partner are ok.

That was the first thing that came to mind, I was expecting the story to take a turn for the worst once the window was opened. Glad it worked out in the end.

TheJLC

You got off lucky. Don't do stupid stuff like that again, those little things that beep can be the difference between life and death.

I wish you the best and hope you can get all that fixed.

Maximo

Weren't you the poor fucker that had those huge Family Issues with a Previous house ? Dude you have such terrible luck I honestly wish the best for you.

FnordChan

That sounds completely terrifying, Amir0x. I'm glad you're all okay and that you were able to save the house.

FnordChan

jeremy1456

I'll have some real photos up later as soon as my fiancee comes back with her tablet. You guys will have a nice laugh at this :p

They made this most annoying chirping sound and so the day I disconnected them a number of years ago it was middle of night and I couldn't sleep due to them chirping so I just completely disconnected them all.

Then I never put them back together or got the batteries, due to laziness. Definitely lesson learned. I find I am much lazier about doing small relatively easy things than big things, it's really strange. Easy to put the small things in the back of your mind I guess.

In any event, I definitely learned my lesson. I bet I would have been woken up much earlier before the fire got to that point had I had my fire detectors properly up.

I think the chirping sound means that the batteries are low. Of course, it differs from brand to brand.

I'm sorry to hear about your house catching on fire. I can't imagine how traumatic that must be.

Also, I hope this encourages you to get at least one fire extinguisher.

ibyea

Banned
Oh goodness! Do you know what caused it? Good thing you came out unharmed, and it only affected one room! And yeah, smoke does stick to everything forever! When mom accidentally left food cooking unattended, it burnt up and everything in the house smelled.

Edit: nevermind the question, question was answered above

Ewww moldy Hawaiian punch.

Dang, hope you do well, bro.
I actually learned about the fire and doorknob thing from a CSI episode.
It was like the central plot of interest that it's burned into my mind forever.

You did just about everything wrong. I'm glad you're okay.

Yes, the chirping sound means it needs to be replaced. I just buy the 10-year ones. Also, make sure you have fire extinguishers. They actually come in spray-can type canisters now.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Glad you came out of it relatively okay.

As others have said, you should probably get this thread deleted asap.

You may want to consider still deleting this thread for insurance reimbursement purposes.

reimbursment sure, not to mention potential insurance fraud if lying on the claim about this. Oh and of course insurance arsonists are known to disable detectors before doing the deed. This is one of those things where over sharing specifics in public is a bad idea, particularly if you are innocent.

Amir0x

Banned
I just won't even call Insurance if they're going to think I set this fire lol. It's just a single room destroyed and a smokey house smell, I can fix this stuff on my own little by little if it means I can avoid a headache :p

jeremy1456

I just won't even call Insurance if they're going to think I set this fire lol. It's just a single room destroyed and a smokey house smell, I can fix this stuff on my own little by little if it means I can avoid a headache :p

Could the flames have caused any issues that might might jeopardize the integrity of the structure? Even just cross beams in the wall could be bad news.

You shouldn't have tried to be a hero. Smoke is not to be trifled with.

Edit: call insurance. What the fuck are you paying them for if you don't call when shit goes bad?

akira28

glad youre ok. glad it wasn't much worse.

and yeah, why not edit some things. its a nice story, but insurance people are dicks....many of them.

it's always good to cultivate a healthy fear, in the words of one Bill Shatner.

Jeez, Amirox that sucks man and I'm really sorry to hear about that.

I hope things get better for you, there is nothing scarier than potentially losing everything in a freak accident like a fire. Hope you and your wife stay safe!

Allforce

If you own the place and HAVE insurance (which you do), then USE it, no matter the deductible. They'll send it the serious cleaning crew to disinfect and get the smell COMPLETELY out. You don't want to fucking tackle those kinds of odors with shit you can buy at Home Depot/Lowes.

They might even put up drywall or whatever in that area to make it right going forward. Then you get a bonus out of the whole shitty situation.

I've had floods and fires in places I've lived, they're on opposite ends of the spectrum but both take serious work to correct after the fact. Let the pros sort it out, it's why you buy insurance.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
3. Smoke smell gets fucking everywhere and is like impossible to get out. I've been cleaning walls, steam vac carpet, put all my clothes into the wash (still got many loads to go) and stuff is still coming out smelling like smoke. Probably going to have to get rid of my couches and carpets maybe curtains altogether.

Might want to look into a smoke damage service. My grandparents had to hire one after leaving a pan of peas on the stove and forgetting about it. The pan melted though the burner and the pan's contents charcoalized.

Minimal damage overall, but it it smelled like an ashtray in the house. People came in and cleaned everything, left things like bathroom deodorizers in the cabinents etc.

The smell lingered for a few months but eventually everything aired out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom