• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Were there 2 monsters in Cloverfield?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember there being a debate about this back when the movie came out, but has it ever been clarified? From what I recall, the theory was that the majority of the film was a young monster, but the big reveal monster at the end was actually its parent. I know that's just baseless speculation, but has anyone ever been able to explain the design differences?

For those wondering, compare the teeth:

"Monster 1"

mip3weC.jpg

"Monster 2"

byEROiH.gif

Kuroyume

Banned
They probably just did a redesign for the close up and since you could hardly see it throughout the earlier parts of the film they didn't bother to fix it.

There's just the one seen in the movie. A second would be kinda hard to miss.

I think the theory is the first
died in the bombing as they escaped and crashed. The one that kills Hud at the end is the parent monster freshly emerging from the ocean.

They probably just did a redesign for the close up and since you could hardly see it throughout the earlier parts of the film they didn't bother to fix it.

That seems fair enough. The design definitely is different and 'meaner' looking at the end.

Mike M

Nick N
I think the theory is the first
died in the bombing as they escaped and crashed. The one that kills Hud at the end is the parent monster freshly emerging from the ocean.
I know JJ Abrams made the comment that the creature was a lost baby, but there's nothing in the film to support this.

I'm not even seeing what the supposed design differences are (though granted I am on mobile)

I'm more interested in wether it came from the ocean or the sky and what the deal was with that leaked concept art of a giant whale creature nicknamed project slusho

Toa TAK

Banned
Do know that the last shot of the monster eating Hud wasn't originally planned. We weren't even supposed to see it that closely.

Gypsy danger would fuck it up easy.

Did we ever get a good theory on what the tittle means? If its super obvious I have never gotten it.

The story I heard was that "Cloverfield" was a placeholder title, but it became so popular the producers/Abrams/whoever decided to keep it.

Maybe that's bullshit, but that's what I heard.

The story I heard was that "Cloverfield" was a placeholder title, but it became so popular the producers/Abrams/whoever decided to keep it.

Maybe that's bullshit, but that's what I heard.

That's what I've heard but also the director said it had another meaning that he didn't want to get into so that people would talk about it. Sounds like what they did with lost which is too say that something has a deeper meaning when it really doesn't.

I know JJ Abrams made the comment that the creature was a lost baby, but there's nothing in the film to support this.

I'm not even seeing what the supposed design differences are (though granted I am on mobile)

The biggest change are the teeth, which seem to be completely different.

Erv

There definitely weren't 2 monsters. They look the same, but if there are any slight differences it's only because of inconsistency on the movie makers part

Joni

It is growing older itself at a rapid rate. At the start of the movie we see the egg falling into the ocean so it went from baby state to monster state quite quickly, its teeth growing wouldn't be that big of a surprise. Or the explosions forced it to regrow certain parts of its body.
It is a design flaw

I'm more interested in wether it came from the ocean or the sky and what the deal was with that leaked concept art of a giant whale creature nicknamed project slusho

I think I might have read the whale was actually a fans art. Anyone know?

It was some sort of contest to design a monster. All those designs were more interesting than what we got.

134160_v1.jpg

134159.jpg

134161.jpg

134162_v1.jpg

I really enjoyed this movie, love monster movies, wish there were more of them :(

Have there been any since cloverfield? (that aren't total dogshit?) edit: I've seen gwoemul already.

Cloverfield was good, I'm glad I watched it in theaters. The monster design sucked though. Same for the dumb monster on the ice planet in Star Trek, same with the shitty alien design in Super 8

RdN

I don't think that there's two monsters.. Just some design over sight IMO.'

Damn, I really like this movie.. Maybe it's time for another re watch.

Pfft, fuck you guys - the cloverfield monster was fucking awesome!

Pacific Rim!

Gona be a long time till I watch that, I'm burnt out on the cinema (kinepolis).
10-12 euros for a ticket, you can't choose your own seat anymore (so you get shitty seats half of the time) and these days they show ads for the first half hour after the movie is supposed to start (and for a full hour before it's supposed to start)

Feels like I should be getting paid to watch all those ads, not the other way around-.-

I'll wait till I can rent it and watch it at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom