• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Western Animation |OT| Cartoon, Cartoon, Cartoon

FoxSpirit

(Kung Fu Panda)
Matt Williames
tumblr_o4qvpyj88j1rc3pqko1_1280.gif

Rodolphe Guenoden
tumblr_nyjuss5vn01rc3pqko1_400.gif
Are those pencil tests for the films or for some sort of animated shorts?

Rated-G

Are those pencil tests for the films or for some sort of animated shorts?

I believe the first one was for one of the shorts, the second one is most definitely for the first movie. The Art book has the individual drawings for that test laid out with notes.

Ogodei

My question about Western Animation is, why did the era of Creator-driven cartoons kickstart all at once? The industry was absolutely dominated by studios, with only rare artistes operating (at least in a commercial, non-indie capacity), like Ralph Bakshi. Mostly it was people operating within a studio system, even on television, and those studios had a house style and it was the studio's idea of what got made, while creators merely grappled with how to make it. Creators could branch off to create their own studios (like Don Bluth in film or Joe Ruby and Ken Spears in TV), but that was the model.

Then in 1987 or so there was a change. I'd argue The Simpsons was the first, although it was a joint Fox product it started the idea of the creator making a pitch and carrying it through to fruition, which you saw get cloned on Nickelodeon starting with Nicktoons in 1991, on Disney starting with (depending on your definition) either Raw Toonage, Bonkers, or Gargoyles in the early 90s, and on Cartoon Network with Dexter's Lab in 1996.

Why the change? Because the new networks needed original programming?

Rated-G

My question about Western Animation is, why did the era of Creator-driven cartoons kickstart all at once? The industry was absolutely dominated by studios, with only rare artistes operating (at least in a commercial, non-indie capacity), like Ralph Bakshi. Mostly it was people operating within a studio system, even on television, and those studios had a house style and it was the studio's idea of what got made, while creators merely grappled with how to make it. Creators could branch off to create their own studios (like Don Bluth in film or Joe Ruby and Ken Spears in TV), but that was the model.

Then in 1987 or so there was a change. I'd argue The Simpsons was the first, although it was a joint Fox product it started the idea of the creator making a pitch and carrying it through to fruition, which you saw get cloned on Nickelodeon starting with Nicktoons in 1991, on Disney starting with (depending on your definition) either Raw Toonage, Bonkers, or Gargoyles in the early 90s, and on Cartoon Network with Dexter's Lab in 1996.

Why the change? Because the new networks needed original programming?

I think it's a perfect storm of things, a combination of networks wanting more original stuff, the 80's class of creators moving into the industry and making names for themselves, staying in contact with their friends and getting to places where they had the ability to make personal projects and pitches. Studios and networks started offering better budget packages for animation. A lot of shifts and changes were happening at the same time, not necessarily all connected, but mostly lending themselves to the demand for more content.

I think we're currently in a really great wave of creator based stuff because of the generation of creators inspired by the creators of the 80's and 90's having access to the Internet and tools that are so readily available, with so many outlets to create, share, build, and reach out or get discovered.

Penguin

So let's get some basic getting to know you questions.

CG or hand-drawn animation?
Favorite animated series?
Favorite theme song?
Favorite hand-drawn movie?
Favorite CG movie?

Ogodei

I think it's a perfect storm of things, a combination of networks wanting more original stuff, the 80's class of creators moving into the industry and making names for themselves, staying in contact with their friends and getting to places where they had the ability to make personal projects and pitches. Studios and networks started offering better budget packages for animation. A lot of shifts and changes were happening at the same time, not necessarily all connected, but mostly lending themselves to the demand for more content.

I think we're currently in a really great wave of creator based stuff because of the generation of creators inspired by the creators of the 80's and 90's having access to the Internet and tools that are so readily available, with so many outlets to create, share, build, and reach out or get discovered.

I doubt the creator-driven era will ever end now, just because of how easy it is for one person with a computer to make their own animated short and get noticed, even without the studio systems continuing to encourage creator-driven nature, i'm just curious about why that switch flipped when it did.

Like Cartoon Network was all-in on creator-driven from the beginning, despite Turner's buyout of Hannah Barbera meaning they could have easily stuffed the network with a new Scooby Doo or a new Flintstones. They didn't *need* creator-driven, they chose that.

Hand-drawn.
Batman: The Animated Series.
Favorite theme song?
Hmm... probably Batman: The Animated Series or X-Men.
It changes often but right now it's Beauty and the Beast.
Favorite CG movie?
Toy Story... No, wait, Ratatouille... No, wait, The Incredibles... One of those three!

Rated-G

I doubt the creator-driven era will ever end now, just because of how easy it is for one person with a computer to make their own animated short and get noticed, even without the studio systems continuing to encourage creator-driven nature, i'm just curious about why that switch flipped when it did.

Like Cartoon Network was all-in on creator-driven from the beginning, despite Turner's buyout of Hannah Barbera meaning they could have easily stuffed the network with a new Scooby Doo or a new Flintstones. They didn't *need* creator-driven, they chose that.

I wasn't trying to suggest that it's going to end, or say that Cartoon Network needed it vs chose or anything. Quite a few places chose it with no real provocation other than they had the means to. And now so many more sources have the means to, with all mediums and types of content.

I asked my old mentor about this earlier today, after my initial response, and he firmly believes the switch flipped because of a new guard vs old guard kind of thing in a lot of places. Veterans of the studio were both open to change and taking advantage of the free reign that was new at the time, and new talent came in that had new idea built on a strong foundation.

He was at Disney television in the 80's, and feature animation in the 90's and saw the shifts happen in those two places first hand. It may not speak to the industry as a whole, but this definitely continues to happen more and more because of the nature of content now.

I suppose I'd go with hand drawn but we're forgetting STOP MOTION
The Simpsons
Favorite theme song?
Darkwing Duck
The Road to El Dorado
Favorite CG movie?
Wreck-It Ralph or Ratatouille damn, I can't choose...

I like both, but I need to gravitate towards 2D animation more.

Batman: The Animated Series, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Tom and Jerry, Ducktales, The Spectacular Spider-Man, Heathcliff, Looney Tunes, SpongeBob SquarePants (Seasons 1-3) Samurai Jack, Megas XLR, Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Codename: Kids Next Door, Kim Possible, Fairly Odd Parents (The early seasons), The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius, Recess, Darkwing Duck, Chip n Dale: Rescue Rangers, Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends, Dexter's Laboratory, The Powerpuff Girl (The good one), Courage the Cowardly Dog, Ed, Edd, Eddy, Rick and Morty...I think that is it. Oh wait, Animaniacs, Tiny Toons adventures, Hey Arnold, Catdog, Rocko's Modern Life, My life as a Teenage Robot, Danny Phantom. Okay I think that's it. Oh wait, Totally Spies, Marvin Mystery, Teen Titans (Original series), Batman Beyond, Justice League (And Unlimited), Superman: The Animated series. Okay that's it. I hope.

Favorite theme song?
Batman: The Animated Series, Ducktales, SpongeBob SquarePants, Spectacular Spider-Man, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. And probably the rest of that list up above. In east to please.

The Lion King, Beauty and The Beast, Aladdin, The Land Before Time, The princess and the frog.

Favorite CG movie?
Toy Story series, Kung Fu Panda series, Zootopia, Monsters Inc., The Incredible, Ratoutoille (can't spell it to save my life), Up,, Over The Hedge, Flushed Away, Shrek 2, that's it for now.

Oh you meant one, sorry I can't choose. :p

Xe4

Banned
So apparently, there's more unsubstantiated Young Justice S3 rumors going around.

"Young Justice" could still be renewed for another season if its viewership numbers on Netflix will increase to 300,000 every month, FX News Call reported. Netflix is still not satisfied with the numbers "Young Justice" is getting so the company has not ordered a third season yet. It remains to be seen whether "Young Justice" viewership numbers will still increase that could pave the way for its third season.

http://www.parentherald.com/article...n-3-release-date-news-update-netflix-asks.htm

I still have huge doubts that it will go through, or really that it's anything other than articles to get views, but if you haven't seen it, now is the time. It's a great show anyhow, so there's nothing to loose by watching it.

I like both, but prefer the 2-D look. I think stuff like TV Paint for smaller shows and movies, and CGI in the style of Paperman is the future though. Anything else is too expensive in this day and age.

Tough question. Probably Batman TAS/TNBA

Favorite theme song?
Probably also from Batman TAS. Never been a huge fan of theme songs though. The shorter they are, the more time I have watching the show.

Probably Waltz with Bashir.
Favorite CG movie?
The Incredibles.

petran79

Banned
My question about Western Animation is, why did the era of Creator-driven cartoons kickstart all at once? The industry was absolutely dominated by studios, with only rare artistes operating (at least in a commercial, non-indie capacity), like Ralph Bakshi.

John Hubley as well, especially after he was black listed

Evilisk

Favorite theme song?
Favorite CG movie?

1. Hand drawn. Though I also really like Stop Motion

2. It's probably the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. I've been recently going through Venture Bros though and it's pretty damn good. Let's just say Grim Adventures for my kids show pick, and Venture Bros for adult shows.

3. The Venture Bros opening theme is pretty great. Gravity Falls and Rick and Morty have some nice openings too.

4. Atlantis: The Lost Empire. I just love the aesthetic of the movie (even if the story is a bit lackluster)

5. Kung Fu Panda 2 probably. I have a soft spot for the first Hoodwinked movie though, that'd be my guilty pleasure pick. EDIT: I also can't not mention Megamind and the 3D Tintin movie. Geez I have a lot of favorites.

Also you didn't ask, but for me, it's a toss up between the Nightmare Before Christmas and Coraline for stop motion films.

vypek

I guess this is the best place to give more exposure to an underrated raunchy french comedy movie called Lascars

tumblr_n1ybzc4av01tuhts9o1_400.gif

mY03Zmx.gif

tumblr_n0tfbj8don1r3z8jzo1_400.gif

30bEc.gif

559f11fb776f72ea4d004710.jpg

tumblr_n1ybzc4av01tuhts9o3_400.gif

739.gif

I've been thinking about watching more animated movies instead of just series so maybe I'll check this out if I can find it with English subtitles.

Would enjoy suggestions from others on animated movies I could check out. Maybe some lesser known ones that are kind of like diamonds in the rough as well as some popular ones?

petran79

Banned

Favorite theme song?
Favorite CG movie?

1.Quality mix of both
2.Original Pink Panther
3.Count Duckula (OP) - The Raccoons (ED)
4.Allegro non Tropo (it has live action too)
5.Rennaisance (French movie close to Frank Miller aesthetic)

Hand-drawn. Tends to express a unique aesthetic and give off the feel of something more crafted than CG, but I also enjoy CG.

Probably The Venture Bros or (classic) Simpsons.

Favorite theme song?

Venture Bros again, and it saddens me that they barely ever play it.

Lion King probably.

Favorite CG movie?

Ratatouille. A masterpiece.

PaulloDEC

I love CG, but there's something special about hand-drawn. You tend to see more variety in art-style in hand-drawn stuff too, in my experience.

Impossible question. Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, Rick and Morty, Friendship is Magic, The Simpsons, Futurama, Daria, Tron Uprising. And that's just the ones that spring to mind. Pick one.

Favorite theme song?

Tough call. Recently, maybe Gravity Falls or Steven Universe? But I know there's tons from my childhood that I could dredge up too.

One of the Disney renaissance for sure, though they're pretty hard to separate. Special shout-out to Atlantis too, I love that way that one looks.

Favorite CG movie?

Inside Out, perhaps. That one hit me hard.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Hand-drawn, but unfortunately high quality hand drawn animation is rare outside of Japan nowadays.

Batman: The Animated Series. Honorable mention to Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Favorite theme song?
Batman TAS theme.

Probably The Lion King still.

Favorite CG movie?
The incredibles.

Okay everyone, what visual style from a animated feature or show did you enjoy the most?

220px-Foster's_characters.jpg

For me, Foster's is really nice with a mix of wacky lines and shapes to make the characters stand out.

Another visual style I love is the one from Batman: The Animated Series. The dark deco artstyle is a good mix of modern day (back then) and the roaring 30s. And the style really make batman look so sharp and cool. I mean look at this.

latest

And for batman:
Batman.jpg

Okay everyone, what visual style from a animated feature or show did you enjoy the most?

220px-Foster's_characters.jpg

For me, Foster's is really nice with a mix of wacky lines and shapes to make the characters stand out.

Another visual style I love is the one from Batman: The Animated Series. The dark deco artstyle is a good mix of modern day (back then) and the roaring 30s. And the style really make batman look so sharp and cool. I mean look at this.

latest

And for batman:
Batman.jpg

Batman TAS because of that dark Deco and Fleischer Superman-esque Bruce Timm art style. So good.

I also like Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars in motion. It really complimented the action scenes.
3387835-4.gif

tumblr_nvrercBJo11uvcoq0o1_400.gif

Xe4

Banned

PaulloDEC

How about something very traditional and something very modern?

For the former, I love the old-world, hand painted look of Over the Garden Wall. The characters are fairly modern in style, but the backdrops are wonderfully classic.

For the latter, Tron Uprising is mesmerising. Every bit as stylish and varied as the films that spawned it, and often much more so.

EDIT: One more, because I can't commit. Atlantis: The Lost Empire from Disney. Love the comic-stylings of this one.

JDHarbs

I recently checked out Extraordinary Tales on Netflix. It's a retelling of some of Edgar Allen Poe's short stories in animated form. I don't think I've ever seen an animation style quite like it before, and each short story has a style of it's own. Definitely recommended.

tumblr_o9irh6Avqt1spnvk0o1_500.gif

tumblr_o4gfasKktz1spnvk0o1_500.gif

Hand-drawn, but I think recent CGI films have been just as wonderful to look at imo.

It feels like an easy answer, but I gotta go with Batman TAS

Favorite theme song?

Ehhh, I think I'll go with the X-Men theme from the 90s cartoon with Batman TAS as a runner up (when you think about it though, Batman TAS isn't an original theme, it's repurposed from a movie).

Disney's Fantasia. Easily.

Favorite CG movie?

Ooh this is a toughie. I think I'll go with Zootopia. It just hits all the right notes and had lots of great attention to detail. Runner up would have to be Tintin.

Evilisk

There's a bunch I can think of (can't post any pictures right now though)

I already mentioned Atlantis. I can also think of Coraline, for stop motion. In terms of CG movies, I didn't like the movies themselves, but the Owls of Ga'Hoole film and also the Book of Life had some really nice looking moments.

For shows, again, Venture Bros. The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy's artstyle from Season 1 to 3 was pretty great. Gravity Falls has some great backgrounds, and I also really liked Paul Robertson's work on the show (ie Rumble and Giffany's animations). Though I admit I'm not actually big on the style used for the characters in GF.

There are probably more I'm forgetting.

Never seen Atlantis, how is the story?

It's been a while since I watched it. I remember the first half being pretty cool. The second half just feels really rushed by comparison.

Xe4

Banned
just watched the french animated film of Dofus Livre...amazing animation and art style

Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nnJUXdSqlw

74e.gif

02%20Dofus%201%20Julith_Bonta.jpg

tumblr_o0r44m5SSn1see7ilo6_500.gif
Wow, that looks amazing. Looks like something that would be animated at Gobelins, and it wouldn't surprise me if the animator did go there.

I recently checked out Extraordinary Tales on Netflix. It's a retelling of some of Edgar Allen Poe's short stories in animated form. I don't think I've ever seen an animation style quite like it before, and each short story has a style of it's own. Definitely recommended.

I would note that this is an anthology series, so some bits are insanely detailed and amazing, and others aren't that great. The Masque of Death is a must see though.

Another good anthology series is Winter Days, which is made by an independent Japanese animator Kihachirō Kawamoto, who was taught stop motion from Czech animators.

It mostly has Japanese artists, but occasionally ones from the UK, Canada, or Russia.

My favorite is by Aleksandr Petrov, seen below.

https://youtu.be/HnjwApHxh5U

Also good is Yuri Norstein's
https://youtu.be/nBxT4qsD9N8

I plan on sometime soon making a post about Russian animation, it's so amazing.

I had a friend recommend this to me some time ago. I should take a look at it when I have the chance.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Happy weekend, if you're in the mood for some incredibly weird shit, check out David O'Reilly's The External World. 17 minutes of pure unbridled weirdness.
the-external-world-o.gif

QbGr7ue.gif

As a bonus every single rig used in this film is available to download.For free.

El Odio

Banned
I have no clue how I failed to notice this thread till now. I absolutely adore western animation. Nowadays I'm not to big on actually watching shows, mainly due to a lack of cable, but I have deep appreciation for the art and work that goes into it, especially hand drawn.

Nudull

Banned

Recently marathoned Transformers Prime and the finale movie, Predacons Rising. Even though I didn't care too much for it when it was still on the air (RIP, The Hub), I really came to appreciate it now. Decent writing, strong characters and plenty of fun moments. I guess it was the sting of losing Transformers Animated that kept me away for so long, but I'm glad that I got over it.

...speaking of cancelled CGI shows, I really should get around to seeing Tron Uprising, huh?

Favorite theme song?
Favorite CG movie?

1. It's all good, long as it's quality~!
2. That is difficult as all hell, but if you were to put a gun to my head for a current top 5, it would be;

Steven Universe
Justice League Unlimited
Spongebob Squarepants
Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends

3. That is even more impossible! XD
4. There's a lot I could name from Disney alone. The Hunchback of Notre Dame is near and dear to me, however.
5. Right now, it has to be How to Train Your Dragon. Absolutely gorgeous.

Top Bottom