• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Western Animation |OT| Cartoon, Cartoon, Cartoon

Evilisk

They just released another minisode called "Infinity Train". This one has a cool premise:

Infinity Train

I just randomly stumbled on to this (and was gonna make a post about it myself)

This looks okay. The King corgi is pretty great, and so is the strange setting. The actual main characters aren't grabbing me though (the robots in particular are annoying)

Cartoon Network released a new minisode called Victor & Valentino .

I mistook this for that new "Villainous" show at first (because of the V in the title, and also the Mexican setting). I didn't like this as much, but the twist at the end has me really interested. The dog in this show was also great for some reason, weird coincidence.

Also just wanted to say, I don't know if it's Gravity Falls withdrawal, but both of these were giving me some Gravity Falls vibes.

With Infinity Train, it's mostly just the big mystery that made me think that way.

Victor & Valentino is a lot closer. There are sibling main characters with an uncommon relationship (Mabel and Dipper are twins, Victor and Valentino seem to be half-brothers), they're spending time in a weird town that has a supernatural side to it, they have an older relative looking after them (Grunkle Stan for GF, their Grandma for V&V) and they also seem to be there for the Summer only.

I'm not saying it's a copy at all, the dynamic is rather different (they're not 1:1 to Mabel and Dipper), and I'm probably looking into it too much anyway. But I would be okay if more shows started to take after Gravity Falls, personally.

Nudull

Banned
How do you all feel about the post-Adventure Time state of western-animated TV shows? Comedies in particular seem to be becoming less afraid of doing complex, overreaching plots and subjects on top of doing more lore and worldbuilding for their settings.There does seem to be a distinct lack of pure action shows compared to the last decade or two, however.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
How do you all feel about the post-Adventure Time state of western-animated TV shows? Comedies in particular seem to be becoming less afraid of doing complex, overreaching plots and subjects on top of doing more lore and worldbuilding for their settings.There does seem to be a distinct lack of pure action shows compared to the last decade or two, however.

I feel like the reason for more plot heavy comedies is that you can't sell an action show anymore. So you pitch a comedy because you can get away with cheaper animation, and the suits figure it will make them more money, and then you slip in your lore and character stuff along the way.

Like, there is some heavy shit in Steven Universe, but it took them a ton of episodes to get to that point.

Penguin

New question (I'll try to do these like once a week?)

Since this is NeoGAF, what is your favorite animated series based off of a video game?

Nudull

Banned

Since this is NeoGAF, what is your favorite animated series based off of a video game?

The_Adventures_of_Sam_%26_Max_Freelance_Police.jpg

Well technically, it's based on a comic, but still.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Not having action shows sucks pretty heavily, but comedies are getting better than ever (TTGo excluded).

Though to be honest, I really don't like how a lot of comedy cartoons today have the same simplistic art style to them.

Penguin

The lack of action shows has really been a big part of my decreasing interest in animation. It also helps that most of what Marvel puts out (which is kind of a big chunk of action toons these days) is kind of junk.

I did recently enjoy that new Netflix animated series, but that seems to be a single season show.

I feel like the reason for more plot heavy comedies is that you can't sell an action show anymore. So you pitch a comedy because you can get away with cheaper animation, and the suits figure it will make them more money, and then you slip in your lore and character stuff along the way.

Like, there is some heavy shit in Steven Universe, but it took them a ton of episodes to get to that point.

Not having action shows sucks pretty heavily, but comedies are getting better than ever (TTGo excluded).

Though to be honest, I really don't like how a lot of comedy cartoons today have the same simplistic art style to them.
Basically what they said :D
Comedies are fine but man does it feel they are starting to look and feel same-y. Ben 10 got a more comedy focused reboot and feels really unnecessary. AD, SH, and Gumball all seem to be winding down. Better hope we're not stuck with shows with the same kind of humor and style.
As for action shows- Can you believe Marvel has 3 action shows but little fanfare? :D

Nudull

Banned
The lack of action shows has really been a big part of my decreasing interest in animation. It also helps that most of what Marvel puts out (which is kind of a big chunk of action toons these days) is kind of junk.

I did recently enjoy that new Netflix animated series, but that seems to be a single season show.

I was hoping that Voltron: Legendary Defender would be successful enough that we may see more original action cartoons on Netflix.

As for action shows- Can you believe Marvel has 3 action shows but little fanfare? :D

Well, when you carry the same mundane artsyle, the same uninspired writing (even with PAUL DINI on your team), and the same bits of awkward animation... :p

None. All the ones I've seen were pretty bad, but I'm going off memory. I haven't seen one in almost twenty years and barely remember the ones that I do.

I'm still waiting for a Skullgirls cartoon.

Nudull

Banned
I take the Ben 10 reboot took a PPG-style nosedive?

A shame, if so. I fairly liked the original, back when Man of Action knew how to write a decent show for kids. Alien Force and Ultimate Alien were pretty good in their own right, too.

https://d23.com/the-voices-you-love-are-back-in-disney-xds-big-hero-6/?share_token=7690b883e2

Big Hero 6 TV series that was announced earlier has a voice cast now. I dig the art style.
Looking forward to it. Also Khary Payton never rests does he?

I take the Ben 10 reboot took a PPG-style nosedive?

A shame, if so. I fairly liked the original, back when Man of Action knew how to write a decent show for kids. Alien Force and Ultimate Alien were pretty good in their own right, too.
Took a an action show with comedic moments and turned into a comedic show with action that's just there. I guess it's fine but it seems unnecessary.

I really do miss shows like JLU, Tron Uprising, and the like, but like you said at least a lot of the Adventure/Comedies are doing more with overreaching plots and worldbuilding. Seeing the like in Milo Murphy's Law as opposed to Phineas and Ferb is pretty refreshing and exciting.

It really does suck that the only shows were really getting are from Marvel and they're just so "blah"

This one's a toughie, I remember really liking Earthworm Jim back in the day (I know it's out on DVD now, really got to pick it up sometime), I think I'll go with The Legend of Zelda. Yes THAT cartoon. Why? Well, I think it gets a bad rap. It's not AMAZING, sure, but watching it a couple years ago, it's really not that bad when you consider how little Zelda material they had to work with back then. I think it would've been amazing if, like Mario, they could have had future seasons that followed the games a little closer.

Rated-G

https://d23.com/the-voices-you-love-are-back-in-disney-xds-big-hero-6/?share_token=7690b883e2

Big Hero 6 TV series that was announced earlier has a voice cast now. I dig the art style.

So happy most of the film cast is returning! But I'm really surprised they didn't get T.J. Miller back as Fred, considering he's done work for Disney Television before. Still, I was hoping for AT LEAST Ryan Potter and Scott Adsit, so seeing all the people they DID get back is super encouraging.

Penguin

What are the currently airing action toons?

Ninja Turtles
Guardians of the Galaxy
Spider-man
Avengers
Voltron
Mighty Magiswords
Lego Nexo Knights
Transformers

Ninja Turtles
Guardians of the Galaxy
Spider-man
Avengers
Voltron
Mighty Magiswords
Lego Nexo Knights
Transformers

I really wouldn't call Mighty Magiswords any action cartoon, is more of a zany comedy that gives off the nuances of a Jay Ward cartoon.

Does Teen Titans Go count? It's kind of a comedy/action blend.

Considering the complaints about the lack of action cartoons are often triggered by Teen Titans Go being brought up, I'd say no. It's certainly not an action cartoon in the same way that Teen Titans was.

Mind asking Chris if Downtown is ever coming back?
I'd have to lead in with a question if MTV's animation division is ever coming back, but I'll post an animated gif of the tear that rolls down his cheek as the intense nostalgia hits him.

The show is maybe my personal favorite gem from its era. A lot of the crew on it went on to form Titmouse for Megas XLR, and have been on ever since. I'm glad you remember it!

Minus_Me

I'd have to lead in with a question if MTV's animation division is ever coming back, but I'll post an animated gif of the tear that rolls down his cheek as the intense nostalgia hits him.

The show is maybe my personal favorite gem from its era. A lot of the crew on it went on to form Titmouse for Megas XLR, and have been on ever since. I'm glad you remember it!

One of the all time bests in my opinion. Has a big place in my heart considering how short the run is. Hot Spot is probably my favourite episode, but that run from episode 3 to 11 is hard to pass up.

Was always happy to see Goat live on! Pig men everywhere.

Must be fun to work there, congrats!

Did someone say Megas XLR?! My gosh that show was pure badass mech action. And that Megas, my goodness. So many weapons, so much destruction. Soooooo goooooooood.

jstripes

Banned

I loved Downtown so much. I actually ordered one of the "promotional" (nice legal loophole) DVDs of the series he had up for "sale" at one point.

There were so many shows of that era that should have gotten more than one season. Downtown, Clone High, Mission Hill, Undergrads. (Teletoon, which co-produced Clone High and Undergrads in Canada, was eager to go ahead with second seasons of those because they got good ratings up here, but they couldn't do it without MTV's money.)

Nudull

Banned
So happy most of the film cast is returning! But I'm really surprised they didn't get T.J. Miller back as Fred, considering he's done work for Disney Television before. Still, I was hoping for AT LEAST Ryan Potter and Scott Adsit, so seeing all the people they DID get back is super encouraging.

Yeah, I'm happy and surprised that they managed to get most of the core voice cast back. How often does that happen with cartoon spin-offs of movies?

Ninja Turtles
Guardians of the Galaxy
Spider-man
Avengers
Voltron
Mighty Magiswords
Lego Nexo Knights
Transformers

Is Transformers still airing? Kinda thought it was another victim of Cartoon Network's asinine scheduling.

Mind asking Chris if Downtown is ever coming back?

I had never heard of this show before. I read about it on Wikipedia and watched a bit of earlier ago.

I'm really fascinated by it. The direction is so unique, from the dialogue's casual and in ways unprofessional delivery to the surreal and psychedelic imagery used to visualize character's thoughts. It also helps that the soundtrack is pretty kick-ass and the setting feels in lots of ways like an older cousin to Hey Arnold.

I'm back from my tour of Nickelodeon Animation Studios. It seems like a really cool place to work.

I got to see some production artwork of an unannounced Nicktoon, and although I'm under NDA, what I saw looks quite promising to me.

Nudull

Banned
I'm back from my tour of Nickelodeon Animation Studios. It seems like a really cool place to work.

I got to see some production artwork of an unannounced Nicktoon, and although I'm under NDA, what I saw looks quite promising to me.

Damn, you're lucky as hell.

I've always wanted for write for animation. Checking out the Nick Animation Studios would be a dream, and I especially remembered wanting to tour Cartoon Network Studios as well. :)

Responses to the Trolls movie have been more positive than I expected. In particular, the animation is apparently very good, though the story is weak. I'll probably check out a home release later. Brad Jones says it's better than Angry Birds and would be great if you were high.

Oh shit. I *LOVED* Angry Birds but Trolls looked like crap to me, if it's actually better than Angry Birds I'm gonna have to check it out.

I can totally see it being amazing high, the visuals look insane. It's the softest, brightest, most glittery explosion of color I think I've ever seen short of Speed Racer.

Nudull

Banned
Trolls may actually be good? It seemed to look like a step-back, by the numbers fare for Dreamworks. Then again, so did Kung Fu Panda.

Oh shit. I *LOVED* Angry Birds but Trolls looked like crap to me, if it's actually better than Angry Birds I'm gonna have to check it out.

I can totally see it being amazing high, the visuals look insane. It's the softest, brightest, most glittery explosion of color I think I've ever seen short of Speed Racer.

To be fair, Brad Jones dislikes Angry Birds, so that wasn't exactly high praise. In any case, he went in expecting to hate the movie but he didn't.

I miss the well crafted action show. Losing Young Justice, SymbionicTitan, and Thundercats hurt. I'm also disappointed that Cartoon Network can't seem to make a show with episodes that last longer than 10 minutes.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I miss the well crafted action show. Losing Young Justice, SymbionicTitan, and Thundercats hurt. I'm also disappointed that Cartoon Network can't seem to make a show with episodes that last longer than 10 minutes.
Cartoon Network's shows have a really high standard when it comes to animation, that expense adds up. ._.

Top Bottom