• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Western Animation |OT| Cartoon, Cartoon, Cartoon

olv43VW.gif
Many episodes of BTAS were animated overseas.

Is that Ninja Turtles spinoff with April as a detective still happening?

I have no idea. Most of the Ninja Turtles crew was off-campus while construction finished on a new building.

And if I knew, I'm still under NDA. Probably the most that I can say is that one VA was on-site to record some lines, but we got to meet the voice director beforehand, and it sounded like it was for the main show.

Many episodes of BTAS were animated overseas.
Technically all episodes were animated overseas, but preproduction (including boarding) and post were done stateside.
The intro Cartoon in Roger Rabbit is probably the best hand crafted animation i have ever seen.

Sooo smooth! And those crazy perspective angles!
If you liked that, here's a sequence by the same director on his passion project:

Thief and the Cobbler

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This is a joke, right? Because I wouldn't say that CN current crop of shows necessarily consist of high quality animation.
I mean aside from TTG and Clarence yea there's plenty of high quality stuff there. Gum ball, SU, Regular Show, Adventure Time, all of hem really take advantage of the medium without looking sammy or relying on puppet animation.

nkarafo

If you liked that, here's a sequence by the same director on his passion project:

Thief and the Cobbler
Yes, i know this.

Pretty amazing how he can make all these scenes in different perspectives while rotating. It's "uncanny valley" territory, close to CG perfection but it looks better because it has the subtle imperfections and nuance of hand made animation.

Crocodile

I feel like the reason for more plot heavy comedies is that you can't sell an action show anymore. So you pitch a comedy because you can get away with cheaper animation, and the suits figure it will make them more money, and then you slip in your lore and character stuff along the way.

Like, there is some heavy shit in Steven Universe, but it took them a ton of episodes to get to that point.

Basically what they said :D
Comedies are fine but man does it feel they are starting to look and feel same-y. Ben 10 got a more comedy focused reboot and feels really unnecessary. AD, SH, and Gumball all seem to be winding down. Better hope we're not stuck with shows with the same kind of humor and style.
As for action shows- Can you believe Marvel has 3 action shows but little fanfare? :D

How do you all feel about the post-Adventure Time state of western-animated TV shows? Comedies in particular seem to be becoming less afraid of doing complex, overreaching plots and subjects on top of doing more lore and worldbuilding for their settings.There does seem to be a distinct lack of pure action shows compared to the last decade or two, however.

Yeah the lack of action-focused animation in the West really grinds my gears. I feel the writing in Western animation is the best its been in years (ever?) but the subject matter seems to have narrowed. You shouldn't have to "sneak" in action into a comedy show. Sometimes I just wanna see a dude/dudette punch another dude/dudette in the face and as has already been mentioned, most of the Marvel TV animation is lacking. This is also to say nothing of just having shows that don't fit into the comedy or action genre.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yeah the lack of action-focused animation in the West really grinds my gears. I feel the writing in Western animation is the best its been in years (ever?) but the subject matter seems to have narrowed. You shouldn't have to "sneak" in action into a comedy show. Sometimes I just wanna see a dude/dudette punch another dude/dudette in the face and as has already been mentioned, most of the Marvel TV animation is lacking. This is also to say nothing of just having shows that don't fit into the comedy or action genre.
The lack of focus on action is probably the reason why the writing is so good, because they're focusing on that, (as well as the visual metaphors), instead of "and now here's a fight scene with these relatively shallow characters in this simplistic plot." Like, I understand the sentiment, but i'd much rather allow creators to flex their creative muscles instead of driving toy sales via an action focus in the majority of episodes.

I really don't care much for '30s animation. Granted, it wasn't a field that wasn't taken seriously until Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs. Cartoons (namely Looney Tunes and Superman) don't start getting good until the '40s. I really haven't seen many Disney shorts. Notable ones I have seen are Clock Cleaners, The Old Mill, Steamboat Willie, and several Goofy and Donald shorts. Then came World War II. The first wartime cartoon I saw as a kid was a Donald Duck short called The New Spirit, which took me a long while to find again because I had forgotten it was a Donald Duck cartoon. I only remembered the second half which taught me that the people with swastikas were the bad guys (as well as talking about this thing called "taxes"). I had a VHS featuring a bunch of Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck wartime cartoons.

The best Looney Tunes came from the late '40s and '50s, with Chuck Jones directing. Speaking of which, the only Looney Tunes cartoons i really liked were Bugs Bunny and Road Runner. I hated Daffy, Porky (especially the early "Fat Porky" ones), and Foghorn Leghorn. Despite being Road Runner cartoons set inside a house, I don't like Tom & Jerry that much.

Then comes the '60s. MGM Animation is gone, and Looney Tunes isn't as good, thus leading to the rise of Hanna-Barbera. My favorite of the shorts was Yogi Bear, but I also loved Augie Doggy and Doggy Daddy. Jonny Quest was awesome. In the '70s, you had Challenge of the Superfriends.

In the '80s, everything was a toy commercial, and the ones that weren't were adaptations of comic strips. I don't care much for He-Man (though the remake series was better). The Transformers is awesome. Jem, Inspector Gadget, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was cool.

The '90s was awesome. The Simpsons, all the Warner Bros. Spielberg cartoons, Batman, Nicktoons, the Sonic cartoons, and early Cartoon Network. The 2000s for me was Adult Swim, Futurama, more Cartoon Cartoons, and Teenage Mutant Turtles. The '10s are getting better, as I enjoyed Tron: Uprising, and am currently watching Gravity Falls.

Still need to watch Avatar and Steven Universe.

pirata

Still need to watch Avatar and Steven Universe.

That's putting it lightly!

And yeah, I think the '40s and the '90s were the high points of Western animation. I feel like Western animation is slowly clawing its way out of the pit it fell into in the early aughts, but the loss of 2D features is still really, really sad. It's not like everyone hates 2D---all of the most popular animated series are 2D! I hope studios are willing to take a risk on 2d again sometime in the future....*sigh* Who am I kidding, major studios don't take risks anymore!

And yeah, I think the '40s and the '90s were the high points of Western animation. I feel like Western animation is slowly clawing its way out of the pit it fell into in the early aughts, but the loss of 2D features is still really, really sad. It's not like everyone hates 2D---all of the most popular animated series are 2D! I hope studios are willing to take a risk on 2d again sometime in the future....*sigh* Who am I kidding, major studios don't take risks anymore!

The My Little Pony movie is going to be 2D ToonBoom, but that's the only 2D animated major theatrical release that's coming out soon.

Nudull

Banned

Well, Disney tried with The Princess and the Frog. Unfortunately, no one cared.

Crocodile

The lack of focus on action is probably the reason why the writing is so good, because they're focusing on that, (as well as the visual metaphors), instead of "and now here's a fight scene with these relatively shallow characters in this simplistic plot." Like, I understand the sentiment, but i'd much rather allow creators to flex their creative muscles instead of driving toy sales via an action focus in the majority of episodes.

I mean I kind of fundamentally disagree? Justice League, Batman: Brave & Bold, Samurai Jack, Symbiotic Titan, etc. are all recent-ish action shows before all else and I would not call the writing (character or narrative) within deficient to any degree. Venture Bros straddles the line between comedy and action but either way you slice it, the later is a significant component of the show and I consider the writing very strong. I've enjoyed the recent TMNT show too (though I'm super behind and I've heard the show has gotten worse in the recent seasons) and I would argue the writing is perhaps not what I'd call "memorable" but its still better than previous TMNT incarnations and not toyetic to a degree that it harms the show.

To me, the genre shouldn't and doesn't preclude the talent or skill on display in animation, writing, etc. Even as there are many modern shows I enjoy, I want an end to the stranglehold that the comedy (or comedy with some drama snuck in) genre has on modern Western animation. That's part of the reason stuff like Cannonbusters looks super appealing to me (and I hope it becomes a full show) or why I'm so hype for the Samurai Jack finale <3

Zubz

Banned
New question (I'll try to do these like once a week?)

Since this is NeoGAF, what is your favorite animated series based off of a video game?

I can't really think of any of the top of my head that were good, honestly. I liked DanganRonpa, but I've also yet to touch the games, and hear the show got mixed reviews because it does a poor job of capturing them? I wonder if I would've liked it had I played them first.

I'm just going to go the nostalgia route and choose my favorite Sonic cartoon growing up. The one where Long John Baldry played Robotnik to such a degree of haminess that it's still my favorite incarnation of the character. I think it's "The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog?" I know it's trash, but at least it didn't try to be more than it needed to be like SatAM. And, again, its Robotnik was on-point; I wish LJB was still around just so he could give such campy life to more characters (And his music was great, too).

Well technically, it's based on a comic, but still.

... Tying back into the previous point of being unable to think of any great video game shows, I've never watched Sam & Max either. I've only heard praise this show, and I am a fan of the series, so I definitely need to rectify that.

There were so many shows of that era that should have gotten more than one season. Downtown, Clone High, Mission Hill, Undergrads. (Teletoon, which co-produced Clone High and Undergrads in Canada, was eager to go ahead with second seasons of those because they got good ratings up here, but they couldn't do it without MTV's money.)

Wait, I thought the team disbanded after the whole backlash regarding a less-than-perfect Ghandi clone being a main character. If they could've kept going without MTV... that might've just ruined my morning.

Xe4

Banned
The My Little Pony movie is going to be 2D ToonBoom, but that's the only 2D animated major theatrical release that's coming out soon.
I'm not sure what you mean by major and soon, as I have no idea when MLP is coming out and what it will gross, but Europe does a ton of good 2D stuff, in fact the Breadwinner by Cartoon Saloon is coming out in 2017 sometime.

I do wish we had a better balance between 2D and 3D though. I know cell isn't coming back dnd that's probably for the best, but there's amazing stuff you can do with programs like TVPaint, and it's not shame more companies don't do work in that area.

I didn't realize how great Hulu's choices for cartoons were. They've got tons of classic Nick cartoons. Wild Thornberry's, Hey Arnold, Doug, Inavder Zim. I'm honestly surprised they've managed to keep a hold of such a large library of cartoons.

Speaking of classic Nick, I decided to rewatch the first episode of Invader Zim. It only took me a few minutes to fall back in love with this show. Everything from the graphic art style to the movement of characters is wonderful. It's astonishing how fun Invader ZIm's voice actor seems to have in the role. It makes an already interesting plot all the more exciting. The jokes were also better than I remembered.

I didn't realize how great Hulu's choices for cartoons were. They've got tons of classic Nick cartoons. Wild Thornberry's, Hey Arnold, Doug, Inavder Zim. I'm honestly surprised they've managed to keep a hold of such a large library of cartoons.

Speaking of classic Nick, I decided to rewatch the first episode of Invader Zim. It only took me a few minutes to fall back in love with this show. Everything from the graphic art style to the movement of characters is wonderful. It's astonishing how fun Invader ZIm's voice actor seems to have in the role. It makes an already interesting plot all the more exciting. The jokes were also better than I remembered.

You like Invaded Zim.

You like Invader Zim.

You love it.

Evilisk

Since this is NeoGAF, what is your favorite animated series based off of a video game?

I can't think of any Western related. Actually I'm struggling even when thinking of anime, most of them tend not to be any good lol

The best I can think of is the Arc the Lad anime. Because it's a straight up adaptation of the second PS1 game. And even then, that has it's own set of problems (like so many off-model moments, changing certain details from the original game, etc.)

Dreams do come true.

Now GIVE ME BACK GREEN LANTERN :mad:

I've never watched this show before. I only know that it seems to be action? I've also seen it here on Australian TV a few times. Is it any good?

Lois_Lane

I can't think of any Western related. Actually I'm struggling even when thinking of anime, most of them tend not to be any good lol

The best I can think of is the Arc the Lad anime. Because it's a straight up adaptation of the second PS1 game. And even then, that has it's own set of problems (like so many off-model moments, changing certain details from the original game, etc.)

I've never watched this show before. I only know that it seems to be action? I've also seen it here on Australian TV a few times. Is it any good?

Yep!

Maximo

just watched the french animated film of Dofus Livre...amazing animation and art style

Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nnJUXdSqlw

74e.gif

02%20Dofus%201%20Julith_Bonta.jpg

tumblr_o0r44m5SSn1see7ilo6_500.gif

Yeah ill go ahead and give this one a recommendation too I actually enjoyed it a decent amount. Overall not bad much better then run of the mill animated movies. Humor can be a bit..odd either due to the french origin and me not being used to the type of humor or simply it can be hit and miss.

Psxphile

^ As it so happens, Ankama will be officially releasing the Dofus movie (and the MMORPG that bears its name) digitally on the Steam platform November 16th. It's english sub only, no dub (probably for the best).

Link

petran79

Banned

Captain N the Game Master by a margin

Though it was animated overseas, it counts as a Western show

Penguin

Captain N the Game Master by a margin

Though it was animated overseas, it counts as a Western show

I think for the sake of argument for this thread, we'll accept Western animation that is animated overseas, if the actual like planning/production is done in the West...

And that gives me a good idea for this week's question

What are some notable European animation (cartoons or movies) that you enjoy/recommend?

As a bonus question, for my own sanity, what are some of your comfort food animations?

Nudull

Banned
I think for the sake of argument for this thread, we'll accept Western animation that is animated overseas, if the actual like planning/production is done in the West...

What are some notable European animation (cartoons or movies) that you enjoy/recommend?

As a bonus question, for my own sanity, what are some of your comfort food animations?

Quite a few French-produced cartoons I could name; Code Lyoko, Martin Mystery (I'd say Totally Spies as well, but I'm not sure if it's really aged that well), Iron Man: Armored Adventures (and the studio's show before that, Skyland, which I still need to watch), even Sonic Boom and Wakfu (which plenty of people have already name-dropped in this thread).

As for comfort-food shows? Well, I always seem to find myself going back to Looney Tunes, Disney and Tom and Jerry (even as the racism in some of those shorts continue to irk me, especially now). I also tend to drift into watching a lot of Ed, Edd n Eddy, Pokemon, Animaniacs and other older Cartoon Network/Kids WB shows. Nostalgia and escapism go hand in hand.

Also, the new Paul Rudish Mickey Mouse shorts. They are awesome and need more love.

I really really liked Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes. It was Moonscoop which is French unless I'm mistaken. Overall it was a great show that got cut down before it could really flourish (thanks to the Fox movies floundering). Yeah Doom was maybe a little too posh and conceited, but overall it was spot on. Sue though

FF+Worlds+greatest+heroes.png

There's just something about her design that screams "HAWTNESS" to me yet I can't put my finger on what it is though. The "pointy" face or the long hair. I just don't know, but I adore her in this.

As for the Bonus Question. I just watched Emperor's New Groove last night to help take my mind off the election. I was so emotionally drained. It worked REALLY well. Otherwise, I'd say Phineas and Ferb and the Mickey Mouse shorts do it for me lately. It helps to have an extensive media collection on a PC running Kodi.

Also, just found out that a new Mickey Mouse short is scheduled for December 12th! A Christmas Special!

jstripes

Banned
Wait, I thought the team disbanded after the whole backlash regarding a less-than-perfect Ghandi clone being a main character. If they could've kept going without MTV... that might've just ruined my morning.

I think the Gandhi thing is what caused MTV to pull out, but from what I understand there was still a hope to continue the show in one way or another.

Parch

It's to be expected that any older form of entertainment could feel dated, but I'm amazed at how 40's animation has stood the test of time. The Looney Tunes cartoons are still some of my favorites. Bugs is the best.

Evilisk

I have to admit I don't watch a lot of European cartoons.

The main one that comes to mind is Triplets of Belleville. I caught it on TV once and it seemed enjoyable enough (it was a lot more zany than I remember after a recent rewatch though). After looking into things a bit more, I guess Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit was pretty decent too (I really like a lot of the humor and visual gags)

I'm still trying to get into Wakfu so there's that. I also noticed a film on Netflix that would count, and that I should probably watch later. It's called the Illusionist

As for comfort food animations, that would easily be Regular Show. The animation's serviceable at best and it's pretty damn formulaic but I like the characters (Benson and Rigby in particular) and it just makes for some nice background noise.

Nudull

Banned
Man, I totally forgot about Wallace & Gromit, and Aardman as a whole. I still remember seeing it for the first time on Cartoon Network, and I especially remember the TV commercial. As a kid, the shorts were my first real taste of both Claymation and British humor, and even as young as I was, I knew I was watching some excellent stuff.

Come to think of it, all these years later and I still haven't seen Curse of the Were-Rabbit. Does it hold up?

I really really liked Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes. It was Moonscoop which is French unless I'm mistaken. Overall it was a great show that got cut down before it could really flourish (thanks to the Fox movies floundering). Yeah Doom was maybe a little too posh and conceited, but overall it was spot on. Sue though

FF+Worlds+greatest+heroes.png
I remember this! It's been years since I last watched it (so I can't remember if it's good or not) but I did like it. Nobody ever talks about it.

Nudull

Banned
I remember this! It's been years since I last watched it (so I can't remember if it's good or not) but I did like it. Nobody ever talks about it.

I wouldn't go out of my way and say it's one of the better superhero shows, but it's not outright terrible either. Considering how Code Lyoko turned out pretty decently, WGH still could've been better than it was, but there was still some effort put into it.

Of course, we can't talk about Fantastic Four without the glorious 90's cartoon theme song.

Xe4

Banned
I absolutely adore lots of European animation, to some extent even more than the stuff produced in America.

You have stuff from Britain like Animal Farm (commonly referred to as the the first "mature" animated film, ever), Watership Down, The Plague Dogs, and Where the Wind Blows, all fantastic.
Animalfarm_3096015a-xlarge.jpg

plague-dogs-6.jpg

9645833-watership_down-news-large_trans++Yg4SW5Nhv2GONPWQd4wotUd6FjzahTLjK1uI401fLvU.jpg

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/whenthewindblows-1280x600.jpg

In Ireland, you have Cartoon Saloon, which is new, but has an impcible tract record so far.

maxresdefault.jpg

secret-of-kells21.jpg

You have tons of good stuff in France, from older stuff like Le Roi et l'oiseau (The King and the Mockingbird), to Fantastic Planet, and newer stuff like The Triplets of Belleville, The Illusionist, A Cat in Paris, Persepolis, and The Red Turtle (not seen this one yet).

Screen-Shot-2012-02-23-at-7.46.26-PM.png

I'm going to ignore eastern european animation, cause that's another topic for another day.

When I feel pretty down I usually watch A Kitten Named Woof (or Gaf, depending on the translation).

It never fails to make me smile, here's the first episode.
https://youtu.be/b4Y1d4a4r-Q

PSqueak

Banned
They just released another minisode called "Infinity Train". This one has a cool premise:

Infinity Train

A cool premise...Stolen from a Adventure time episode.

I mean, the series looks cool, but i just can comprehend why they decided to make it a train when AT did that idea, it could have been absolutely anything else: a dungeon, a tower a hyper cube, just plain alternate dimensions, but they decided to go for one thing that AT already used as a plotline, i just can't comprehend that choice.

Top Bottom