• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We've seen the retail PlayStation VR headset and it's SPECTACULAR [POLYGON]

Can I play normal games with this? Can I watch movies?

If all it can do is play Sony VR games I will be pretty disappointed. I'm still buying it Day 1 though.

This might sound like a dumb question but can I use this simply as a second screen for the ps4 complete with audio?

Like can I play non vr games as if they are just on a screen?

That would be great and push towards justifying a purchase of one of these

If all it can do is play Sony VR games I will be pretty disappointed. I'm still buying it Day 1 though.

Why would you want to play non-VR games with it? I'm confident they'll have a video-watching solution, though, since that has been such a big hit on GearVR and the Oculus dev kits.

Freeman

Banned
Got to get the price right. Putting the light-bar on PS4 really payed of, now everyone has a controller that can work with VR and they can have a lower priced bundle that doesn't include move controles.

Something tells me a new faster PS4 with that little box embedded is coming. Super PS4 confirmed?

What a twist, current PS4 is actually PS4 slim.

how well does this work with people with glasses. i hated when they first started doing 3D movies not a lot of theatres had glasses to fit those with glasses.

notaskwid

This is what I want to know too.
If polygon is praising it, it must be really spectacular... Or they are using reverse psychology on us.

It's all but guaranteed to come in multiple SKUs ie. Standalone Headset, Headset + Camera, and/or Headset+Camera+Controller(s).

i cant see more than 2 different packages. I dont think they want this to be any more confusing than it needs to be and multiple skus is a surefire way to make VR, already a hard sell, that much harder to push.

I can see a basic edition with the processing box, headset, and a game and then another package that has the whole setup with the camera and a controller and everything needed to get started.

Why would you want to play non-VR games with it? I'm confident they'll have a video-watching solution, though, since that has been such a big hit on GearVR and the Oculus dev kits.

If I could play a game with the headset while others watch TV or play another system, that would be cool.

Alx

You probably can, but that would be sub-optimal compared to a full HD screen, since the VR display has a lower native resolution , and also has to sacrifice some of it for distorsion rendering.

how well does this work with people with glasses. i hated when they first started doing 3D movies not a lot of theatres had glasses to fit those with glasses.
By all accounts I've seen it works great with glasses. The part that goes over your eyes isn't attached hard to your face, rather it sort of hangs in front from the band that goes around your head. You can also push one button to move the face part closer or further away from you.

I fully expect there to be a theater mode that will let you play 2D games or watch movies. I have watched short films and Netflix shows/movies with my Gear VR and even though you do lose resolution, it's still DVD quality and the feeling of being in a space with a huge screen in front of you illuminating the whole room is awesome.

I just noticed the breakout box looks kind of like a little PS4.

Freeman

Banned
You probably can, but that would be sub-optimal compared to a full HD screen, since the VR display has a lower native resolution , and also has to sacrifice some of it for distorsion rendering.
If I can lay down belly up and se a virtual screen, I could see myself making use of such feature, I watch movies on my tablet when in bed and I can never find a comfortable position.

Something tells me a new faster PS4 with that little box embedded is coming. Super PS4 confirmed?

No not confirmed.. wouldn't be surprised though! At the very least, they should add a usb port on the back of the ps4 as this box needs to connect to both ends of it currently.

This looks amazing, and I hope it gets decent support. I just imagine the price is going to be $400 or more and that is absolutely going to turn me off. Plus I definitely need to try it before I drop that much on it. I tried the first gen Rift and it was solid, but that made me a little nauseous during some games.

I'm also slightly concerned about the support for this as well. It would be hard to drop console like money if only 4 or 5 great games come out for it.

Santiako

There will probably be a solution like this to play normal games and watch regular videos:

oculus-streaming-e1434119861770.jpg

The one I tried on at PSX was super comfortable, significantly moreso than the one at E3. It didn't even feel like I was wearing anything once I got into the game TBH.

Do you happen to wear glasses? If so how was the comfort level? If not, did you happen to hear anyone talking about how they are to wear if you need glasses for regular vision?

spectator

how well does this work with people with glasses.

From everything I've heard, it's excellent with glasses. I have personal experience with the Oculus DK1 and DK2 which both work great with glasses for me and I've read/heard multiple reports that the PSVR HMD is even better for glasses-wearers than any Oculus iteration to-date.

Rosur

Jeff Gerstmann of Giant Bomb Dot Com (a website about video games) is also super impressed with the Sony headset.

I think he ranks em Oculus > PSVR > Vive for comfort/control

I was originally just going to get one of the PC headsets but Sony has shown me enough that I'll be jumping in asap on their solution, too

Yea thinking PS VR will be good for gen 1 then gen 2 go whatever ends up being best as graphics cards etc will start to be optimized for VR rather than just games.

Thewonandonly

Can't wait to try it,but I'm still conflicted on the VR devices coming out.As I have a powerful PC I may have to go with Occulus or Vive over this.Guess it all comes down to games and price.
If I had a powerful enough pc I would go with the oculus. So far it seems like it has a more steady flow of games. Sadly I don't have a good computer so I'm going with psVR don't let me down Sony!!!

Just tell me the price so i can be salty over how expensive it is and how its ridiculous and nobody should pay it!

and still buy one at launch

There'll be Kinect like "demo" stalls everywhere for it I imagine. Can't think of any other way they're gonna shift it besides word of mouth and Oprah plugs.

Yeah right. Playstation is huge right now, and we've had a couple of years of hype for VR since Oculus first appeared. This thing's gonna be sold out at launch.

Nikodemos

Were I in Yoshida-san's position, I'd give stores an ample supply of headsets, cameras and Moves and tell them to build the bundles ad-hoc. It would be the most flexible way, given thst there already are sizeable numbers of cameras and Moves out there.

Dmonzy

And suddenly neogaf likes them again. Until the next article that goes against the circlejerk.

Please stop acting like NeoGaf is a single entity. I still dislike Polygon.

Sounds like Playstation VR is shaping up nicely though.

I don't think it's that far fetched given the wireless video solutions that already exist - but it would inflate the cost of headset considerably (and weight, since it would need a battery pack).

The issue is latency. Wireless VR is not happening anytime soon.

Curious to know how they bundle this. Will there be a package without a camera for those who already own one?

I have to imagine that will be the case.

SentryDown

First retail version already means it will be released first half of 2016, presumably right after a big push at E3 #Believe

Didn't realize it was confirmed to have a extra box. I feel better about the capabilities of this thing now, less optimistic about a lower price.

Top Bottom