• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What’s the deal with ghost of Tsushima graphics?

First off the game looks amazing especially on ps5 in 4k and 60fps, the image quality and colours make it a gorgeous game to look at.

with that Said it make the graphics more obvious.. they’re quite basic? Is it the textures? Graphically this game isn’t impressive at all. I don’t even think Valhalla looks great, but it’s better than this.

or is it the art style?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
First off the game looks amazing especially on ps5 in 4k and 60fps, the image quality and colours make it a gorgeous game to look at.

with that Said it make the graphics more obvious.. they’re quite basic? Is it the textures? Graphically this game isn’t impressive at all. I don’t even think Valhalla looks great, but it’s better than this.

or is it the art style?
if the art style is wonderful.... they can beat any high buget game... not matter what years have a game, the style make the difference.

Last edited:
Great artstyle hides somewhat subpar here and there graphics, textures etc. When you get up close somewhere near rocks etc it was rough but overall I thought thanks to art style again it was a striking visual experience anyway.

assurdum

Banned

or is it the art style?
There are some stuff impressive as the characters models and the animated foliage or the whole vegetation in general. There are others stuff like the ground which is frankly terrible, I agree, it uses just pom? I guess but it appears too much poor, flat and faked for my tastes. But yeah probably the most impressive thing it's the artistical direction than the tech behind.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

or is it the art style?
Its art direction that impresses people rather than high end graphic. ACV from tech perspective is much more advance but in my opinion the visual style and entire aesthetics is very dull and boring to me.

Hugare

Texture detail (with the exception of character models) isnt really that great because they dont need to be.

You are basically into the wild most of the time, with vegetation convering the ground ...

Everything is made of cloth, wood or plants. So texture detail is not that necessary.

-Arcadia-

Banned

or is it the art style?

What the hell, lol.

I think I get what you’re getting at, though. The game as a whole is beautiful, but there are surprisingly sub-par elements?

I think that’s just a reality of pushing old hardware this hard, remembering that this is an open world, compared to something like TLoU2. The more basic elements allow the fancier flourishes, and it all comes together in a good art style.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I remember taking an animation course years ago and the trees and stuff were already in the engine for placement. I could make a sea of trees and none of it was actually my work. I wonder if they have to make the trees or if they just use assets that come with their tech.

bender

What time is it?

or is it the art style?

giphy.gif

Bryank75

Banned
I don't think SP has the budget or manpower that Naughty Dog or R* would get, not even close.

So, considering everything I think the game is absolutely amazing and I loved the visuals and how alive the world felt. They can increase quality or detail in the next game.... it's good that they have room to grow and improve.

Vick

tenor.gif

You asked for this, man..

98GiByl.png

TO5Bxyf.png

STPWaBJ.png

j8Jim9b.png

1x5SH4l.png

lrof5cP.png

yPjRxJN.png

RwP6ELu.png

dFeDXRY.png

IzV9Zpl.png

Y47oxo4.png

9BjqwYl.png

XvmLY3E.png

FqaO8nE.png

hMlkfWu.png

Z63CtUN.png

eDqXieL.png

r2FT28y.png

TlpvgNo.png

Rc53y1Z.png

5f9RY0n.png

afltexP.png

iK3dQEB.png

2fs1UjI.png

t5etHw5.png

D62xDoJ.png

5aphprn.png

CSxPub0.png

du2mNw9.png

HmJbvuE.png

go5Efuq.png

JEz6g6y.png

R1cFyqI.png

BxZM9jY.png

YqMKDm9.png

IZnKn9Z.png

s7u0Kby.png

MTPFzUN.png

n76dCZj.png

TbKOXaO.png

JNHRgFW.png

31WpXct.png

uL3hTj8.png

ysqi5De.png

NHge5jN.png

tgddNmp.png

bvLAiJz.png

r6YUr3X.png

acI7PI0.png

And best grass tech ever seen bar none, probably.. casting shadows and physically reacting to every move from the player, and insane rendering distance.

Compared to Second Son, dynamic time of day and weather and better LOD (and super good LOD in general, with detail in shadows added when closer instead of the shadows themselves) despite being much, much bigger.

It's visually the most appealing game i've ever played.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
It’s a PS4 game and the PS4 sucks. The limitations are obvious in this game (and every other big PS4 exclusive). It looks nice for what it is but i would love to see it running on a good PC.

And best grass tech ever seen bar none, probably.. casting shadows and physically reacting to ever move for the player, and insane rendering distance.

Nah. it’s not Oblivion but you can see the edge of the grass rendering pretty easily although I think they use the world design to hide it somewhat. It’s nice but again the limitations are easy to see.

Last edited:

Vick

Nah. it’s not Oblivion but you can see the edge of the grass rendering pretty easily although I think they use the world design to hide it somewhat. It’s nice but again the limitations are easy to see.
It's something like X5 the rendering distance of every free-roam on console except RDR2 (which have more sparse/much smaller strands). There's The Witcher 3 modded.. but those don't cast shadows, don't react nearly as good, and have simpler shaders.

Edit---

Forgot Horizon, definitely not X5 less. But still beaten by GoT.

Last edited:
What the hell, lol.

I think I get what you’re getting at, though. The game as a whole is beautiful, but there are surprisingly sub-par elements?

I think that’s just a reality of pushing old hardware this hard, remembering that this is an open world, compared to something like TLoU2. The more basic elements allow the fancier flourishes, and it all comes together in a good art style.
Jim says cheque's in the mail.

drotahorror

I think it looks fucking amazing. Having just beat Demon's Souls and then booting it up, I was shocked it looked so good. It's mainly the art design and the game just looks insane in motion. The foliage is next level.

People really need to see some gifs/videos to see how this game looks.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I would say those open fields areas looks amazing, but when you in some town it does not look good. But I feel like sometimes walking just in the fields and feel

But I don't like that "zoomed in camera", especially riding on the horse.

Last edited:

JaseMath

I think what you’re getting as is art direction and yeah, it’s not bad, but it’s not highly stylized either.

FunkMiller

I think it looks fucking amazing. Having just beat Demon's Souls and then booting it up, I was shocked it looked so good. It's mainly the art design and the game just looks insane in motion. The foliage is next level.

People really need to see some gifs/videos to see how this game looks.

It doesn’t really kick in how incredible it is until you see it moving. And at 60 FPS maximum fidelity on Ps5 it’s jaw dropping. I fucking love everything about it. Most enjoyable, serene, and pleasurable open world I’ve been in.

RyRy93

It's all about the art direction in GoT, not necessarily photorealistic but just beautiful to look at. The world looks like a Bob Ross painting at times.

Kokoro2020

The art style for Ghosts of Tsushima is amazing. Of course, the gameplay is more important and is also amazing, but the art style only adds to that experience. If I had to say what my favorite game of 2020 is, that would be it.

Fbh

The raw graphics might not be particularly impressive, but the art direction is fantastic, it runs well on both the regular ps4 (with some drops here and there) and pro, and it has some next gen loading times on last gen hardware.

The graphics are not going to beat proper next gen games, but I'm glad Sucker punch made sure it's a great experience on PS4 instead of aiming for Ps5.

TheKratos

It's the dynamic resolution I think. Some placed looked amazing and some laughably bad. I think the draw distance was also terrible.

Redlancet

Banned

or is it the art style?
the problem its you

RedVIper

Banned
The art style it's pretty good, but it's not very technically impressive.

It's a lot easier to make empty landscapes look great, compared to something like a city in inFamous

Iced Arcade

I think ghost is a good looking game but people need to stop using photo mode acting like that's the game.

Ghosts load time on the base PS4 is mind-blowing

Top Bottom