• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What’s the deal with ghost of Tsushima graphics?

Vick

The low texture quality, the non-existent AF, the low res shadow maps & short render distance, they all are very obvious as they are in every Assassin's Creed this gen.
UkrlydD.gif

uL3hTj8.png

HO75CiK.jpg

Fww4HhS.jpg

JNHRgFW.png

Z63CtUN.png

j8Jim9b.png

ysqi5De.png

dITtOZO.png

This is not something to be dismissed as "grass spam", this is a mindblowing feat which leaves you in awe during the entire playthrough thanks to its physics, shaders, shadowing and wind pattern and which would lead to severe compromises in other areas on any platform.
And LOD management is a generation above AC even for the simple reason you don't see that absolutely hideous, borderline broken pop-in in this game, at all.

Texture resolutions (but not the PBR), anisotropic filtering and shadows are indeed the weakest aspect of the presentation.

and then you also have the low FOV so you can't really see shit and the character takes up 1/3rd of the screen (as is tradition on consoles)...

I mean.. why this level of hyperbole? The FOV obsession unless talking about FPS like RE7 is such a niche and opinable matter that i'll never be able to understand.. i think for instance that Horizon video you posted absolutely awful in terms of composition.

Well, the art style is nice, certainly, but it's clear that even 1st party can pull off no special magic in open world games compared to the general multi-plat players. The hardware is just too damn weak.
I was playing The Evil Within 2, really good looking game when confined in interiors. Then it opens and you're surrounded by 360 era and static grass and bushes, that also appear within three meters from the player.

On the same platform Ghost of Tsushima, despite being an open world, despite having dynamic time of day, despite having much more complex mechanics and systems at play, feature that previously mentioned grass and renders it at X200 the distance. So beyond the realms of possibilities of common games that GoT initial footage has been called for years by PC gamers "clearly PS5 footage".

Will be cool to see it on PS5 with a patch
Already happened. Have yet to try it though.

Or better yet, on PC, where it can shine best. ;)
Yeah.. GoT with X16 AF, PCSS and proper water simulation..

tenor.gif

But does it need these things to be impressive AF? No.

Hype is what happened , from Sony fanbois and they adjust the shit out of the photo mode and post those pictures.
I know you are purposely ignoring what's been posted already, but i'll repeat myself anyway:

"I made every single one of my screenshots without any filter nor DOF modifications or TOD and whatnot since i still had to stop and take a picture every five minutes, if i also had to waste time in Photo-Mode i'd be still playing the game. Only reason i used PM for most shots is because of the better angles and due to the motion blur on the constantly moving vegetation."

Here baby, all In-Game.

5aphprn.png

2RxHkWR.png

EOy9tqm.png

TlpvgNo.png

ysqi5De.png

3glSvkb.png

Dying to criticize the game's visuals? Talk about the lack of anisotropic filtering on base PS4, of better water interaction or soft shadows.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
tenor.gif

It doesen't metter how you look at it, the game is really amazing to the eyes. It's like christmas has come in jully.

One of the best art direction of this entire generation.

Such amazing game. And top notch art direction. I need go for the platinum on this one. The first i've platinued both PS4 and Vita versions.
Thank you I appreciated if you platinum this marvelous art called Gravity Rush 1 and 2

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Looks good, but RDR2 is the best looking game this generation.

Why can't I run in third person when I'm in camp in rdr2? Also why can I move faster when I switch to first person view as opposed to third person ?

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Don't get me wrong, I'm totally with you, gorgeous game, it's just that I've seen this screenshot before and i have no idea why it's being used to brag.. it looks like a cinematic for a early 00s samurai game is being played on a beach in operation flashpoint. Grass, ok~ but not really.

images
You do know that it is the open sea in the background of the GoT picture, and not a flat beach?

vpance

This is one of the few games where HDR makes a drastic impact to the visuals. Looks amazing on OLED or high nits FALD panel. Any SDR screencap with the sun in the background isn't doing it justice.

Sea of thieves is a good example of this imo. Game looks amazing with max settings at 4k/120frames and HDR.

Yes Sea of Thieves and Ghost of Tsushima share many graphical similarities. They both have lower resolution textures but full physics simulations in different areas. SoT with it's incredible wind and water physics and GoT with it's incredible wind and leaf/particle physics.

And I for one will happily take advancements in physics and simulation over higher quality textures any day. In my opinion, GoT's graphics are what I wish the Battlefield series would strive for with advanced destruction physics along side dynamic weather and time of day.

TheAssist

Technical stuff aside, I turned on my PS4 just to get back into this world and ride around with this beautiful atmosphere. Something no open world since the witcher 3 has managed.

Art direction is everything.

If you look at film, most of them use the same sort of camera equipment and yet there can be such a massive variance in how good a film can look (beyond obvious stuff like CGI). Framing, lighting, composition, cinematography. These things also apply to games as well.
Often times games that have certain strict limits can look amazing because the artist must work with the limitation to evoke a certain look or feel.
It's no secret GoT was designed aesthetically to look like those old samurai films. Without that direction they could have just made a game that looked like the generic shit that Ubisoft like to pump out. But with its direction it was able to stand out amongst a cacophony of various other photorealistic open-world games we've been seeing time and time again for the better part of the last decade.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Foliage has traditionally been a weak point in games set in outdoor environments, one that kind of breaks the immersion. Having beautiful foliage like Ghost of Tsushima, that not only looks good but also behaves fairly realistically, goes a long way towards putting you in that world.

Understood and agree. But Horizon's foliage is the best of any game so far. Their procedural system is a work of art and they did a lot to make it robust.

Imagine being like this
Being like what?
The game looks gorgeous and the art direction makes that happen along with the lightening and foliage.

the textures are awful. Rock, wood buildings all look basic and objects seem to have no detail on them.

if im being honest I was expecting better textures and assets based on how much people say how great this game looked.

Vick

Understood and agree. But Horizon's foliage is the best of any game so far. Their procedural system is a work of art and they did a lot to make it robust.
How surprising to see the only Sony First Party with a PC port receiving this kind of praise from you.. even if it's the only one with noninteractive vegetation.

How out of touch with reality you must be in oder to say that when these games exist:

JQVNPzs.png

QTx5pbV.png

kjKenRa.png

IRrahhk.png

yo9mCaQ.png

Even in huge dynamic free roams:

fHtHQAb.jpg

LDS79Eu.jpg

RcKxA8j.jpg

uLEG0It.jpg

zPMgxWU.jpg

16UFzQD.jpg

VFXVeteran

Banned
How surprising to see the only Sony First Party with a PC port receiving this kind of praise from you.. even if it's the only one with noninteractive vegetation.

How out of touch with reality you must be in oder to say that when these games exist:

JQVNPzs.png

QTx5pbV.png

kjKenRa.png

IRrahhk.png

yo9mCaQ.png

Even in huge dynamic free roams:

fHtHQAb.jpg

LDS79Eu.jpg

RcKxA8j.jpg

uLEG0It.jpg

zPMgxWU.jpg

16UFzQD.jpg

1.) Horizon on PC has interactive foliage (it's one of the additions to the PC version).

2.) Horizon on both platforms have a much better procedural foliage generation system. They have much more variety of types of bushes, leaves, etc.. The vids you posted in each game, you are looking at 2-3 different types and most of them all look the same. Horizon has like 10 different types of foliage within a several feet of the character.

Don't start hating on Horizon simply because it's available on the PC. That's the sure sign of a true Sony warrior (which I'm quite frankly very tired of). Once Horizon Forbidden West comes out, you guys will be shouting the praises on that game until it comes out for PC as well - then you'll shun it looking for that next Sony-only exclusive to brag about..

PS. You might want to put a damper on photomode to showcase graphics. Your videos have much more weight to an argument than the stills.

Last edited:
1.) Horizon on PC has interactive foliage (it's one of the additions to the PC version).

2.) Horizon on both platforms have a much better procedural foliage generation system. They have much more variety of types of bushes, leaves, etc.. The vids you posted in each game, you are looking at 2-3 different types and most of them all look the same. Horizon has like 10 different types of foliage within a several feet of the character.

Don't start hating on Horizon simply because it's available on the PC. That's the sure sign of a true Sony warrior (which I'm quite frankly very tired of). Once Horizon Forbidden West comes out, you guys will be shouting the praises on that game until it comes out for PC as well - then you'll shun it looking for that next Sony-only exclusive to brag about..

PS. You might want to put a damper on photomode to showcase graphics. Your videos have much more weight to an argument than the stills.

Is this video supposed to suport your claim? The physics look incredibly wrong. There's literally no sense of momentum, gravity or weight with the interactivity seen between the character and the fooliage. It is literally warping around then takes its position back in a split second. Definitely not how moving through fooliage looks like in real life. GoT and TLOU2 do a much better job at simulating how it should behave. It's kind of humiliating for the pc version of Horizon tbh.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I fired up the game on PS4 for comparison with Ps5.

It looks markedly better on the new console at 60 FPS and 4K.

Last edited:

JonkyDonk

There is more than one way to make a game look visually appealing, and it's not always about having the sharpest textures. I was just playing this game on PS5, and it is quite stunning and silky smooth.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I don't have a PS4 anymore so all I've seen are crappy YouTube videos, but I don't think that really matters because it's not the graphic quality that makes it outstanding, although that may be true as well. It is the really beautiful art and use of colors that make this game look so beautiful even in crappy YT videos.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Is this video supposed to suport your claim? The physics look incredibly wrong. There's literally no sense of momentum, gravity or weight with the interactivity seen between the character and the fooliage. It is literally warping around then takes its position back in a split second. Definitely not how moving through fooliage looks like in real life. GoT and TLOU2 do a much better job at simulating how it should behave. It's kind of humiliating for the pc version of Horizon tbh.

So now all of these games are supposed to mimic real life now? Moving through foliage is as you describe it isn't being done with TLOU or GoT. And it still wasn't my point AT ALL. How many people googoo and gaga over how foliage moves when they are walking around in it? AC has done this for years and years. You guys are making a stupid point just to demean Horizon Zero Dawn which is flabbergasting.

My point is that Horizon's foliage rendering system is superior to both TLOU and GoT. I gave a video showing how much work GG put into the system which every Sony warrior was bragging about before it came out on the PC. Now it's just nothing? GTFO with that garbage. I have shown a superior rendering foliage system whether you like the fact that I can show it on PC or PS4. It's still valid.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
There are times when I'm looking at the screen and thinking it looks amazing and other times when I'm looking at the screen and the textures and geometry are so basic.

Overall, it's a pretty gorgeous game but it has some rough spots. I'm like 4 hours into it on PS5.

MiguelItUp

It's just the art style OP. I guess it just isn't your cup of tea?

Looking at Valhalla, I think GoT is far more beautiful, personally.

I have to agree with this point. The systems behind HZD make it a technical marvel and the accompanying visuals make it a feast for the eyes. I like the art direction for Ghost of Tsushima more, but HZD has it beat in terms of visual fidelity.

Everybody praises Ghost of Tsushima's grass. Ironically, Guerrilla Games pioneered (or were one of the first) the technique to flip/warp surface normals such that large amounts of specular light is reflected towards the viewer. The application of this technique can be seen in the trees of HZD. It isn't actually accurate, but is visually pleasing nonetheless.

Vick

That's very cool, i didn't know.

giphy.gif

And that's why you should play the games and avoid saying silly stuff like this .. i'm not going to sit through the entirety of these games just to do you a favor, Days Gone features six regions and all of them are filled with completely different flora from one another. It's much, much, much more varied than Horizon in this aspect.

Don't start hating on Horizon simply because it's available on the PC. That's the sure sign of a true Sony warrior (which I'm quite frankly very tired of).
Hating on Horizon? That's only in your imagination i'm afraid, i just pointed out your complete hypocrisy in calling all the time every single Sony FP overrated and nothing special, except for the only one on PC.
Your bias is the only thing that's frankly very tiresome at this point.

Once Horizon Forbidden West comes out, you guys will be shouting the praises on that game until it comes out for PC as well
But that's impossible, because Forbidden West on PS5 will look worse than Zero Dawn on PC.. or you changed your mind now?

And you might STFU since all these pictures are 100% In-Game..

JQVNPzs.png

QTx5pbV.png

kjKenRa.png

IRrahhk.png

yo9mCaQ.png

fHtHQAb.jpg

zPMgxWU.jpg

And please for the love of God stop pretending there's a difference, there are not and the simple fact you mistook In-Game pictures for PM proves what i'm saying.

4a4.gif

Seriously, stop using this excuse anytime someone proves you wrong because it's super annoying.
And i'm sure you'd prefer uber compressed and low resolution videos, but i'll keep posting PNG screenshots whenever i can.

VFXVeteran

Banned
That's very cool, i didn't know.

giphy.gif

And that's why you should play the games and avoid saying silly stuff like this .. i'm not going to sit through the entirety of these games just to do you a favor, Days Gone features six regions and all of them are filled with completely different flora from one another. It's much, much, much more varied than Horizon in this aspect.

Hating on Horizon? That's only in your imagination i'm afraid, i just pointed out your complete hypocrisy in calling all the time every single Sony FP overrated and nothing special, except for the only one on PC.
Your bias is the only thing that's frankly very tiresome at this point.

But that's impossible, because Forbidden West on PS5 will look worse than Zero Dawn on PC.. or you changed your mind now?

And you might STFU since all these pictures are 100% In-Game..

JQVNPzs.png

QTx5pbV.png

kjKenRa.png

IRrahhk.png

yo9mCaQ.png

fHtHQAb.jpg

zPMgxWU.jpg

And please for the love of God stop pretending there's a difference, there are not and the simple fact you mistook In-Game pictures for PM proves what i'm saying.

4a4.gif

Seriously, stop using this excuse anytime someone proves you wrong because it's super annoying.
And i'm sure you'd prefer uber compressed and low resolution videos, but i'll keep posting PNG screenshots whenever i can.

Aside from all the personal attacks, you STILL haven't made any kind of argument.

Horizon Zero Dawn has a BETTER procedural foliage system than the games you mentioned. I explain why. I gave you a video on the technology. I gave you a video example of playing Horizon to compare (even your screenshot of Days Gone has just 4 different foliage and all of them look basically the same in that ONE rendered frame).

YOU showed me vids where the foliage isn't varied to the level of Horizon. YOU have only shown me screenshots (what am I supposed to determine from screenshots). YOU are wasting my time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom