• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What’s the deal with ghost of Tsushima graphics?

VFXVeteran

Banned
If you ever wanted to dual bosses like below, then you would know

Talking about graphics.. I'm sure I"d love GoT better than Horizon with regards to gameplay because I'm a sucker for sword play in any game... but the graphics don't look better than Horizon to me. If everyone is googling over the foliage, then Horizon beats it down badly. Their procedural system is incredible and definitely puts more variety in there than just splating down instances in a 10x10 row/column format.

Enjoyed the game a lot, and it had some truly solid screen-archery moments, but the repetitive use of assets wore me down over time. Each biome/area just repeated the same stuff in that biome, over and over. Same rock texture, plants, trees, etc. There were some exceptions, but by and large it could've done with a lot more art asset variety.

Last edited:
I think Sucker Punch mastered the color contrasts and HDR implementation. Playing the game on a 4K HDR display is fucking orgasmic. In addition to the excellent foliage and render distance, you have a game that will be difficult to age. I guess only the character models could age, but it doesn't really age the game as a whole because the world is so vibrant and lively.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It is a fantastic looking game, but it does sometimes look oddly plain. Definitely a unique look. I like it a lot, personally.

zcaa0g

Banned
Its art direction that impresses people rather than high end graphic. ACV from tech perspective is much more advance but in my opinion the visual style and entire aesthetics is very dull and boring to me.

Or could do good art direction with high--end graphics.

vpance

The rock and ground textures are its weakest points. I think they easily had the system resources available to improve that. Probably a development time thing.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I see lots of screenshots but why are people not posting some from that huge field with the gorgeous red flowers? It was so breathtaking the first time I saw it. I think it's in the second world.

There was even a duel there surrounded by flowers.

I found it on YouTube, field of Equinox Flower.

***Kretos actually posted 2 but you had to click on "spoiler". Sorry Kretos I missed it.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Best looking game this gen next to God of War

XIh63Nf.jpg

PcnO1og.jpg

fEgKKWk.jpg

8J8zcOz.jpg

HO75CiK.jpg

PnZs28g.jpg

Fww4HhS.jpg

Wu5aUgl.jpg
this looks so damn good. i havent played the game yet, but all fo the screens shots ive seen have been mega impressive

Tschumi

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally with you, gorgeous game, it's just that I've seen this screenshot before and i have no idea why it's being used to brag.. it looks like a cinematic for a early 00s samurai game is being played on a beach in operation flashpoint. Grass, ok~ but not really.

images

Last edited by a moderator:

Vick

people need to stop using photo mode acting like that's the game.
Yeah, they're truly worlds apart..

s5XNM55.png

iDr8QN4.png

I made every single one of my screenshots without any filter nor DOF modifications or TOD and whatnot since i still had to stop and take a picture every five minutes, if i also had to waste time in Photo-Mode i'd be still playing the game. Only reason i used PM for most shots is because of the better angles and due to the motion blur on the constantly moving vegetation.

But i purposely made lots of screenshots in-game because i also love that motion blur.

5aphprn.png

2RxHkWR.png

EOy9tqm.png

TlpvgNo.png

ysqi5De.png

3glSvkb.png

And you're right, using photos acting like that's the game is wrong, because in still frames the game loses all its strenght.

XvmLY3E.png

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally with you, gorgeous game, it's just that I've seen this screenshot before and i have no idea why it's being used to brag.. it looks like a cinematic for a early 00s samurai game is being played on a beach in operation flashpoint. Grass, ok~ but not really.
It's much harder to render impressive visuals without the light source on screen, and since that screenshot looked photorealistic on my plasma i thought it was worthy of being posted. Maybe i was wrong, but it also highlights how this game's horses are the only ones on par with RDR2 in terms of coat rendering.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Yeah, they're truly worlds apart..

s5XNM55.png

iDr8QN4.png

I made every single one of my screenshots without any filter nor DOF modifications or TOD and whatnot since i still had to stop and take a picture every five minutes, if i also had to waste time in Photo-Mode i'd be still playing the game. Only reason i used PM for most shots is because of the better angles and due to the motion blur on the constantly moving vegetation.

But i purposely made lots of screenshots in-game because i also love that motion blur.

5aphprn.png

2RxHkWR.png

EOy9tqm.png

TlpvgNo.png

ysqi5De.png

3glSvkb.png

And you're right, using photos acting like that's the game is wrong, because in still frames the game loses all its strenght.

XvmLY3E.png

It's much harder to render impressive visuals without the light source on screen, and since that screenshot looked photorealistic on my plasma i thought it was worthy of being posted. Maybe i was wrong, but it also highlights how this game's horses are the only ones on par with RDR2 in terms of coat rendering.

I think it's the sea in the background, with no rocks or anything, if you had a bit of entourage there, perhaps with some breakers against rocks, it would be a more complete image, but yeah as it is it just heavily reminds me of when featureless blue to the horizon for an ocean was really just a way to border an open world map~

Like i said, I'm entirely convinced of GoT, it's just this one image I'm diagnosing :p

thatJohann

I was just thinking about this today. I finished Valhalla then jumped into Ghosts of Tsushima and I’ve been struggling to get into it. Got bored so jumped into Immortals Fenyx Rising. Enjoying it so far.

Vick

I think it's the sea in the background, with no rocks or anything, if you had a bit of entourage there, perhaps with some breakers against rocks, it would be a more complete image, but yeah as it is it just heavily reminds me of when featureless blue to the horizon for an ocean was really just a way to border an open world map~

Like i said, I'm entirely convinced of GoT, it's just this one image I'm diagnosing :p
Yeah i perfectly understand.. the issue is that i've never tried to make beautiful pictures. I just stumbled upon something beautiful (to me) while playing, opened PM, adjusted the angle and that's it, because as i said if i had to put time into the captures i'd be still playing the game and that's no hyperbole. I can't even imagine what could be achieved by spending time into it and using the tools available.

The texture quality are pretty low for background. They may be saving a lot of tex samples . Also less normals and others technique.

pretty sure all that fragment saving went to vertex calculations

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Vibrant colour palette always works wonders.

Change Ghosts art palette to resemble Call of Duty modern day browns, greys and earthtone and Ghosts will probably look like shit.

I'm happy this was posted. I really agree. It's no doubt a pleasing looking game.

Art direction is good and the choices of how to render light, grass, and so on payed off. The game's look strikes a good balance between realistic and fantasy. Reminds me the movie Hero.

But I also believe that other aspects were not great. It's not like the animation was fantastic and the actual detail of the world is not up to the best in the biz, but then again not like it needs to be. They nailed the look they were going for.

First off the game looks amazing especially on ps5 in 4k and 60fps, the image quality and colours make it a gorgeous game to look at.

with that Said it make the graphics more obvious.. they’re quite basic? Is it the textures? Graphically this game isn’t impressive at all. I don’t even think Valhalla looks great, but it’s better than this.

or is it the art style?
I agree Tsushima doesn't always look great. Some of the yellows make things look flat, and there are some really bad looking rock textures too, but something is definitely wrong with you, if you don't think that Valhalla looks great.

Y04WfWr.jpg

O8WqPc1.jpg

mlisMeK.jpg

AffectionateAmbitiousAfricanharrierhawk-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
No doubt that the game can look like a painting at times but it's definitely a mixed bag - more good than bad but when it's bad it can look like one of those low budget medieval simulators you'd find on Steam. I think the lighting is the biggest issue but it was probably a conscious choice to make things pop when the sun or moon is in shot so places can go from looking amazing to poor depending on the time of the day.

There are definitely lots of low quality assets and the lighting can make things look really flat.

tVZdgMQ.jpg

W5RZxHR.jpg

7VhUpG3.jpg

2TOTTFU.jpg

I3Cvo7Y.jpg

The NPCs can be really poor too and there is fair bit of clipping.

QkEHPlk.jpg

0a90uS3.jpg

uCHB3p9.jpg

The lighting at night makes characters sometimes light up like Christmas trees even when they should probably be in shadow.

2oU9aWx.jpg

DSTWw5x.jpg

pe3T0qE.jpg

RYsQm2S.jpg

U9hq3MQ.jpg

And this only really impacts a few locations but the water can be very poor looking.

h1rrbc5.jpg

wXpA2Xo.jpg

cireza

Best looking game this gen next to God of War
I see that a lot of people find this game gorgeous and that's great, but I really don't get it. I strongly dislike the artistic choices, especially the saturated colors and excessive lighting effects. Am I the only one ? Maybe I am getting too old for this...

Vick

No doubt that the game can look like a painting at times but it's definitely a mixed bag - more good than bad but when it's bad it can look like one of those low budget medieval simulators you'd find on Steam. I think the lighting is the biggest issue but it was probably a conscious choice to make things pop when the sun or moon is in shot so places can go from looking amazing to poor depending on the time of the day.

There are definitely lots of low quality assets and the lighting can make things look really flat.

tVZdgMQ.jpg

W5RZxHR.jpg

7VhUpG3.jpg

2TOTTFU.jpg

I3Cvo7Y.jpg

The NPCs can be really poor too and there is fair bit of clipping.

QkEHPlk.jpg

0a90uS3.jpg

uCHB3p9.jpg

The lighting at night makes characters sometimes light up like Christmas trees even when they should probably be in shadow.

2oU9aWx.jpg

DSTWw5x.jpg

pe3T0qE.jpg

RYsQm2S.jpg

U9hq3MQ.jpg

And this only really impacts a few locations but the water can be very poor looking.

h1rrbc5.jpg

wXpA2Xo.jpg
tenor.gif

Combined with that awful compression.. poor Sucker Punch. Lit characters at night is obviously a choise, you picked the worst cases but it's since the Gamecube Capcom games that i lean towards this kind of approach. And while that PBR may look flat at times, it's definitely not something you'd commonly find in indies.
Your screenshots look like crap though, congratulations. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I see that a lot of people find this game gorgeous and that's great, but I really don't get it. I strongly dislike the artistic choices, especially the saturated colors and excessive lighting effects. Am I the only one ? Maybe I am getting too old for this...
Why would you expect any different though?
Sony sucks fanboy :
But I can't help it, I find that everything they do, all their hardware with the exception of PSP/Vita, and all their games are complete garbage. Their history, decisions, and how they handle their business also doesn't help. How can people support this shit honestly ?

You're not getting too old, if anything i'd say you should grow up.
The game won every award for Best Art Direction.. but i guess awards are meaningless and rigged etc. etc.

acm2000

its the specular highlights (i think thats what its called), makes everything look stupid and reflect the light in a ugly way, and the art style doesnt lend itself well to super high detailed textures either.

CthulhuPL

Blurry as hell. The game can be a looker but I cannot stomach this blur. It's like Just Cause 2 on PS3... And the world is very empty too...

Fake

Is the art style. Thats why you can change the color to black/white mode.

Normally art style don't seek 'photorealistic' assets, but still quite enjoyable.

Is quite unique IMO.

Xtib81

I'd say the game is rather inconsistent. It Can look drop dead gorgeous, but it can also look average. The lighting plays a big part in it. Textures, clipping, and draw distance are kinda subpar. Still one of the best looking PS4 games
Oh and water looks like shit too. Sony really needs to put in some work. No matter the game, water is always poorly done in their games

Last edited:

geordiemp

I noticed the cut scenes where there is no gameplay are lower resolution than the main game on Ps5, must be hiding loading on ps4 version.

K.S v2.0

Banned
First off the game looks amazing especially on ps5 in 4k and 60fps, the image quality and colours make it a gorgeous game to look at.

with that Said it make the graphics more obvious.. they’re quite basic? Is it the textures? Graphically this game isn’t impressive at all. I don’t even think Valhalla looks great, but it’s better than this.

or is it the art style?

God tier art direction and art style.

A lot of devs out there nowadays are ramping up on the postprocessing and adding more and more shiny bling to graphics... all the shiny in the world is meaningless if your art direction is garbage.

magaman

Banned

with that Said it make the graphics more obvious.. they’re quite basic? Is it the textures? Graphically this game isn’t impressive at all.

Imagine being like this

Rikkori

The low texture quality, the non-existent AF, the low res shadow maps & short render distance, they all are very obvious as they are in every Assassin's Creed this gen. In this case a lot of it gets hidden by the grass spam, which is a nice atmospheric touch but done to excess precisely to hide such flaws, and then you also have the low FOV so you can't really see shit and the character takes up 1/3rd of the screen (as is tradition on consoles)... Well, the art style is nice, certainly, but it's clear that even 1st party can pull off no special magic in open world games compared to the general multi-plat players. The hardware is just too damn weak.

Will be cool to see it on PS5 with a patch, and hopefully with FOV added. Or better yet, on PC, where it can shine best. ;)

Woopah

For its not just how it looks, it's the movements and animation of the world that make it so beautiful.

ultrazilla

or is it the art style?

Isn't the game being up-scaled from 1080p to 4k for PS5? Perhaps that's the issue? Might be wrong here though.....

MetalRain

I agree it does look good, but maybe little bit too fantastical. Seams between biomes also sometimes feel quite clear cut like this the yellow forest and this is the green forest and this is the red forest.

Ellery

It is one of those games that manage to look great without being graphically "demanding" (for a lack of a better term).

Given how big the open world is, how old the default PS4 is now, how smooth the game runs it looks quite well I think. If you look closer you see the shortcomings, but it is a game with an eyecatching scenery style which is quite a good way to impress people that aren't too involved with graphical settings (which is the majority of people that buy games).

I think they did the right decisions at Sucker Punch. I would never say that the graphics are hyper amazing, but looking at the entire package of Ghosts of Tsushima it doesn't need to hide from 3rd Party games and is probably closer to the poppy overall PS4 style

Mabdia

tenor.gif

It doesen't metter how you look at it, the game is really amazing to the eyes. It's like christmas has come in jully.

One of the best art direction of this entire generation.

And Gravity rush 2 too
latest

Such amazing game. And top notch art direction. I need go for the platinum on this one. The first i've platinued both PS4 and Vita versions.

AC Valhalla is no doubt a more visually complex game than GoT, but something about the way AC looks when not in direct sunlight makes it look off. In direct sunlight AC is a stunner.

Lighting GoT isn't correct all the time, but it's aesthetically pleasing a lot of the time which in my mind makes GoT a better looking game.

Neo_game

It is very artistic game for sure. But I would prefer more realistic gfx. Infamous SS was also very nice looking game very early on PS4 life cycle. So these guys are pretty good

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Hype is what happened , from Sony fanbois and they adjust the shit out of the photo mode and post those pictures.

NPCs are stiffer than a priest on a child’s playground.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Textures are ok.

Shadow Quality is straight from 360 era, no soft shadows nothing, it uses the most basic shadows maps ever.

Compared to TLOU 2 or DS is a huge huge setback.

Umbral

I’m playing it now and it has some very plain textures on certain objects and I can’t get over the very obvious handholds on the sides of rocks. They didn’t even attempt to make them look natural.

It runs at 4K/60fps on PS5 and otherwise looks amazing. I’m fine with it, just don’t take my frames away.

Rockman33

The rock and ground textures are its weakest points. I think they easily had the system resources available to improve that. Probably a development time thing.
I’d also add the water to that list. Clearly it was a resource issue on the console.

Top Bottom