• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What’s the secret to applying screen protectors?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I accidentally tipped my Switch dock over when plugging in the NES Classic I just bought. So many wires behind the TV. Luckily all the cracks were just on the screen protector and the Switch itself is ok.

It took me three tries and two packs to get it on originally. I still have one left over so I gave it a try and it has a bunch of air bubbles, so I ordered another pack. Every time I get a new electronic with a screen to protect I always gotta buy tons of these things until I manage to get one on right.

dorkimoe

I have gotten really good at it, no real secret other than making sure every piece of dust is off it and I just drop it on real fast and force push all the bubbles out.

Fnord

One trick is to do it in the bathroom after running a hot shower until the room has some steam built up. The steam catches dust particles out of the air. Makes it less likely to get dust under the screen protector.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah, I always do the shower trick. I let it steam, let the steam go away, then I take the device and screen protectors into the bathroom. Clean the scream real nicely with some alcohol, place the protector carefully, should be good to go.

I did the Switch when it came out on the first try and the application is still perfect to this day.

JimboJones

The trick is to buy the tempered glass and not the plastic film stuff. The tempered glass is so much easier to apply.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Grabbed another one from Gamestop and managed to get it on after letting the shower run for a bit :messenger_grinning:

Why can't Nintendo just not put shit-quality screens on their system? I've watched a video of someone taking keys and razor blades to the same type of screen my phones has, and they had to work really hard to scratch it. I've had the same phone for two years now, and the screen still looks as good as the day I got it.

greyshark

Phone screens in general are very scratch resistant but can shatter, Nintendo went with a screen that is very difficult to shatter but is more susceptible to scratching. I’m guessing they assumed their target audience would be more likely to drop the Switch?

levyjl1988

Banned
Yeah screens are plastic and not glass. It sucks when the screen is badly scratched. It still performs. There’s a Jerryrigseveryrhing youtube video on how much abuse the switch can take.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Phone screens in general are very scratch resistant but can shatter, Nintendo went with a screen that is very difficult to shatter but is more susceptible to scratching. I’m guessing they assumed their target audience would be more likely to drop the Switch?

I put a tempered glass protector on my Switch and it feels soooooooooooo much higher quality now. Everyone should add one. that plastic they are using is absolute rubbish.

But yeah, Tempered glass ones are super easry to put on and feel way better than any other type of protector.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I don't use them because I've never had a problem with anything scratching my phone. But I used to do vinyl applications, I would assume that the best way would be to completely clean the surface, then use something like a credit card to push it down completely flat as you work from one side to the other.

Top Bottom