• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are 2022's Best Hidden Gems?

DryvBy

And if not a hidden gem, at least something people didn't pay as much attention to.

d311817cd2eb3cbb83da9f78e382cb72.gif

My favorite this year was the boomer shooter game, Postal Brain Damaged. It's more of an over the top boomer shooter with twisted humor, lots of gore and very oldish graphics that look nice to old people. There's not as much gore in video games so how over the top this game gets, I really appreciated it as someone who loves over the top comical violence in games. I'll say this now: God of War was more visually appeasing when I could fatality every enemy type with a pool of blood and guts.

I've been looking for gems this year on any platform that were missed so go crazy with a list below.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
Tinykin, I thought it was really underrated and it consistently delighted me. If you like the idea of a really pretty collectathon platformer meets honey I shrunk the kids, with an interesting world and lore, neat puzzles, frustration free platforming and exploration for all the family, you could do a lot worse. Did I mention the pretty graphics, satisfying sound fx and memorable music?!

Fuz

Banned
My unsurprising pick:

Tinykin, I thought it was really underrated and it consistently delighted me. If you like the idea of a really pretty collectathon platformer meets honey I shrunk the kids, with an interesting world and lore, neat puzzles, frustration free platforming and exploration for all the family, you could do a lot worse. Did I mention the pretty graphics, satisfying sound fx and memorable music?!

Hey, this looks pretty damn cool! Never heard of it before.

jaysius

Banned

Pikmin killer, fuck Nintendo dragging their asses shitting out bad "remasters" while some devs are improving the formula and showing that you don't need stupid "juice rations" and day cycles to make a pikmin game good.

protonion

I mentioned this game in another thread also.

Norco. One of the best point and click games I've played in a very long time. Writing, story telling, art style, music... It excels at everything.
And it is so immersive.

Another vote for Road 96 also. I almost missed this as it is rarely mentioned. I saw it by chance and bought it because the description said from the creators of Valiant Hearts.
A true gem of a game. So masterfully put together.

xrnzaaas

Midnight Fight Express if you enjoy beat 'em ups & Hotline Miami-like games.
Weird West if you like immersive sims and don't mind playing a smaller budget title.
Mothmen 1966 if you like games with 8-bit aesthetic.

jm89

13 Sentinel aegis rim.

Yeah it came out for playstation before 2022, but screw it im including it cause it came out for switch this year and it's amazing. There aren't many video game stories that stick with me after i've finished it, but this is one of them.

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

Played my ass off this year so have quite a few hidden gems. If I had to pick only one it would definitely be Until You Fall - incredible VR fitness/fighting game. Favorite non-vr hidden gem is Battle Planet: Judgement Day, a cool little twin-stick shooter that's perfect on the Deck.

VR
Pistol Whip
Until You Fall

Non-VR
Battle Planet: Judgement Day
Horizon Chase Turbo
Furious Angels
Absolute Drift

DryvBy

Played my ass off this year so have quite a few hidden gems. If I had to pick only one it would definitely be Until You Fall - incredible VR fitness/fighting game. Favorite non-vr hidden gem is Battle Planet: Judgement Day, a cool little twin-stick shooter that's perfect on the Deck.

VR
Pistol Whip
Until You Fall

Non-VR
Battle Planet: Judgement Day
Horizon Chase Turbo
Furious Angels
Absolute Drift

Pistol Whip is my 2nd favorite VR game. It made me feel like I was John Wick and I look like a tool playing it.

tommib

nush

With so many games being released and the barrier for entry being pretty low it does feel like the golden age of the video rental stores used to. So much shit, but so many hidden gems.

RAIDEN1

For those interested there is a demo available on Xbox?

BlakeofT

I don't have the game, but I tried the demo and loved it. The game is Patrick's Paradox. A block pushing puzzle game. Steam users seem to really like it. As you can imagine, it's on sale right now.

Just got the platinum for this, cute game

Guilty_AI

I see people really praising this game

Ok so i started this one, and now i can definitely says this counts as hidden gem.

Game is very janky and clearly low budget/one-man-team, however its such a joy to play.
It has the confortable grinding of MMORPGs without being obnoxious, its fun to explore around finding dungeons, quests, etc; many character build possibilities, factions, relatively large and open map without feeling its wasting space... for this price tag i'd really recommend trying it out.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Sorry for the necro.

Ok so i started this one, and now i can definitely says this counts as hidden gem.

Game is very janky and clearly low budget/one-man-team, however its such a joy to play.
It has the confortable grinding of MMORPGs without being obnoxious, its fun to explore around finding dungeons, quests, etc; many character build possibilities, factions, relatively large and open map without feeling its wasting space... for this price tag i'd really recommend trying it out.
Have you played Outward? Would you say this one is less boring than Outward? Because holy molly I could swear 90% of my time in Outward was holding down the shift key.

Top Bottom