• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some critically acclaimed games that everyone is/was raving about that you just never ended up playing?

Drizzlehell

Banned
For me it's this:

Red_Dead_Redemption.jpg

Mostly because I just didn't have access to the limited number of platforms that you can actually play this on but also due to some other factors.

First, I remember borrowing a PS3 copy from a friend way back in the day, but it just didn't grab me at the time. Can't even remember why. Then my original PS3 died and I ended up never playing it.

In the meantime, the game got inevitably spoiled for me, which probably also diminished my interest.

Then, years later, I played RDR2 on PS4, and I got my fill of the whole western theme, losing interest in playing the original even more.

Now I have another PS3 with a copy of RDR, plus an Xbox Series S with yet another copy of RDR that actually looks and runs far better than the PS3 version... but I still feel no desire to play it.

Idk, maybe I will finally get around to it one of these days, but it ain't gonna be today that's for sure.

ssringo

That one game that twitter or whatever deemed the greatest game ever made several years back and were insufferable twats about it. Looked like Earthbound.

Legit cant think of the name and will let someone else remember for me instead of googling it.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

That one game that twitter or whatever deemed the greatest game ever made several years back and were insufferable twats about it. Looked like Earthbound.

Legit cant think of the name and will let someone else remember for me instead of googling it.
Undertale.

Haven't played that one myself yet. Do plan to, but yeah the fans are annoying.

Dane

The list is loong:

- None of the soulsbornering games
- God of war
- Red Dead Redemption
- Zelda
- Spiderman
- The Last of Us
- Final Fantasy (except for X-2 for a bit)
- Metal Gear 4
- Gran Turismo beyond the first one
- Super Mario
- Persona
- Elder Scrolls
- Fallout

Almost anything that was +90 or close to that, exceptions apply like GTA and Resident Evil.

ReBurn

Gold Member
A lot of them. And I finish very few of the ones I do play. I'm tired of story-driven action adventure games. I burn out on trudging through repetitive gameplay just to drive a story forward. I'm finding I want more arcade-style pick up and play and there's not as much of that going around these days I would like.

Beechos

Nintendo releases, too many good games out there that appeal to me more. I can't do the kiddie artstyle/graphics/rated G gameplay anymore as much as I try. People say gfx isn't everything but theres plenty of great looking games with some mature themes that play great.

Laieon

Anything FromSoftware has released post-Lost Kingdoms II. I don't like hard games and like feeling like an unstoppable machine in the games I play, so their game design philosophy is just fundamentally not for me.

Nintendo releases, too many good games out there that appeal to me more. I can't do the kiddie artstyle/graphics/rated G gameplay anymore as much as I try. People say gfx isn't everything but theres plenty of great looking games with some mature themes that play great.

Opposite of this guy, really.

most of them in fact

also RDR > RDR2

I like the world itself in 2 quite a bit, it's a hell of a lot of fun to just get lost and explore. The characters (Lenny aside, because Lenny is awesome)/story of RDR1 is definitely better though, and that ride into Mexico once crossing the border for the first time is one of my favorite gaming moments period, "Far Away" is pure magic.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Haven't played a Resident Evil since Code Veronica on Dreamcast
No Persona
No Final Fantasy anything ever
None of the Metal Gear Solids

supernova8

Banned
The only JRPG I ever completed was Breath of Fire 2 on the GBA, and that's only because I was a kid with a longer attention span. I like the idea of playing through a long JRPG (like Final Fantasy) but I think now I just cannot be bothered with it all.

Also RE2 Remake looks super awesome/fun when I watch people play it on youtube but then when I load up the demo the fear sets in and I'm like "nope", can hardly get out of the first zombie encounter haha. Same thing with the RE7 VR demo on PSVR back in the day. I was literally too scared to go out of the initial room because the floorboards creaking above me (in the game) were so believable. Shit me up like crazy (that was also the day I knew VR would be amazing eventually).

I did complete MGS1 but only got about 70% of the way through MGS2 before getting bored. My brother finished it off (I just sat and watched) at the time. MGS3 I didn't even bother, I just let my brother play it.

For a long time I was content with just watching people play rather than playing myself.

mom son GIF

Come to think of it, the only games I've ever managed to stick with for a long period of time have been:

1) Pokemon Red/Blue
2) Crash Bandicoot
3) Spyro
4) Donkey Kong 64
5) Pokemon Snap (N64)
6) Wind Waker (GC)
7) Super monkey ball
8) Ape Escape
9) Tony Hawk
10) World of Warcraft (didn't hit level 60 until many years later through)
11) Warhammer Online Age of Reckoning
12) Dark Age of Camelot
13) Allods Online
14) Everquest 2
15) Breath of the Wild
16) Metroid Dread
17) Gears of War (first trilogy)
18) Halo (first three)
19) Uncharted 4
20) Uncharted Golden Abyss (PS Vita)
21) Killzone something (Vita)

Everything else I just bored quickly and put it down.

Last edited:
A ton of 90s games that are simply out of stock and cost tons on eBay. This is especially true for Saturn games. I’ve heard such great things about ultra rare games like Panzer Dragoon Saga.

I’m thankful whenever a video game company decides to reach into their vault and give us an old school gem, remastered or remade for the modern day. It probably meant a lot to that one thankless person working in a small cubicle for the publisher, who decided to work and work for that green light.

JRW

RDR2 & Witcher 3

I want to play RDR2 but for some reason haven't really been drawn to buy it (shrug)

I own Witcher 3 Complete Edition in steam too but keep playing other games lol, currently playing RE4 Remake and have Hogwarts Legacy sitting untouched but planned on playing it next.

bitbydeath

Witcher 3. I like worldbuilding and lore and stuff, so I wanted to play the previous games first. Witcher 1 has one of the worst battle systems I've ever played in a game though, so despite a few tries, I never made it more than an hour or two into that game.
Opposite for me, I tried Witcher 3 first and it was rubbish.

april6e

I've probably played more critically acclaimed games than 95% of people on this board. The big games I've never played are Super Metroid, Portal 1-2 and Silent Hill 2. I hate puzzle games so I'll probably never play the first two but I'm excited for the announced SH2 remake to come out so I can experience that game.

Last edited:

Emedan

My God, this is some depressing reading... For me I suppose the original Resident Evils, I'm too much of a pussy to play them myself. Though I have watched my brother play through them all several times so I know the story in and out.

Tarnpanzer

Outer Wilds. It's apparently a puzzle game which means I'm too stupid to appreciate it.

Its a metroidvania of knownledge.

Dropped it the first time, tried again. In the end it landed in my all time top 10. If u ever play it, don´t look up solutions or u completely ruin yourself the experience.

Last edited:

Freeman76

Cant think of any recent ones, wont be getting the new Zelda though, not until Nintendo bring their hardware somewhere near a decent level.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Bought Cyberpunk 2077 on a Steam sale, launched the tutorial then stopped 1 hour in and never touch it again.
Also never played GTAV, RDR2, BotW (despite having a Switch), any Mario or any sport game. I got a COD free once (voucher included in a graphic card box) and played the solo mode but that's it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Horizon forbidden west but I am hoping to get on it on ps plus extra...if its still there once I've finished this years games, and xenoblade 3. The trains not stopping for 2023 now.

Drizzlehell

Banned
GTAV I guess.

Never cared much for the story, the mission design is terrible IMO as is the shooting.

The open world sandbox is nice and very detailed but I've never been into these "make your own fun' type of games.
I barely remember GTA V since I only finished it once back in 2013 but I guess the same could be said about GTA IV.

90% of missions in it consisted of cover shooting, and it was a pretty bad cover shooter at that. What makes these two fun is the sandbox, when you go out there and cause some mayhem, fuck around with the physics, explore the map, etc. Main missions are like the weakest part of the experience, although at least in GTA IV the story was good.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I love Metal Gear Solid. I played 1 and 2 to death as a kid, 3, 4, even Ac!d on PSP.

But I don't think I can subject myself to 40 hours of this.

Death Stranding Adventure GIF
Honestly, you should at least try, I think. The game is a really slow burn but if you at least find the traversal mechanics somewhat enjoyable in the beginning then you should stick with it because there is a payoff to all of this. The game even picks up, gameplay-wise, as you progress and unlock more hardware, including weapons and some nifty gadgets to combat BTs.

It's definitely a game like no other I've ever played.

Topher

Gold Member
Red dead 1 and 2 have some of the best stories in gaming. Personally 2 is my favorite story outside of Japanese games.

Rockstar is way ahead of the industry, yes even over naughty dog.

I guess we disagree then, huh? I’m cool with that.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Honestly, you should at least try, I think. The game is a really slow burn but if you at least find the traversal mechanics somewhat enjoyable in the beginning then you should stick with it because there is a payoff to all of this. The game even picks up, gameplay-wise, as you progress and unlock more hardware, including weapons and some nifty gadgets to combat BTs.

It's definitely a game like no other I've ever played.

Yeah, I will eventually. I just think of all the other games I could spend 40 hours playing and it's a tough sell having seen some of... questionable quality in the 7 hours of cutscene involved.

Xane

Minecraft (Did play Terraria tho)
Stardew Valley (Prefer Rune Factory)
Amongus (I wanted to play Project Winter damnit! :<)

Probably the biggest shockers to my friends.

kyussman

I love Metal Gear Solid. I played 1 and 2 to death as a kid, 3, 4, even Ac!d on PSP.

But I don't think I can subject myself to 40 hours of this.

Death Stranding Adventure GIF
Hey,I'm not about to say you would love Death Stranding because you may well hate it,lol......but there is a lot more to it than that gif.I played it for over 100 hours and it was a wonderful experience.The game starts with you sludging through the terrain but then there is road building and by the end of the game you are flying across mountain tops.....gameplay mechanics are incredible.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: AV

winjer

Gold Member
Quite a few games that I never got into, despite being praised by other games.
Red Dead Redemption 2 (although I loved the first game)
Metal Gear Solid 2-5
Bioshock
Dark Souls
Uncharted 4

Bernardougf

Gold Member
The worst game sequel ever made - The thread

Aka Last of Us 2 ( I tried couldn't stomach to finish)

Last of us 1 continues to be my favorite game of all time and my personal goat

Honorable mentions:
- Zelda breath of the wild
- Metal Gear Solid 5

Last edited:
Top Bottom