• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some critically acclaimed games that everyone is/was raving about that you just never ended up playing?

TrueLegend

I had both GTA 5 and Red Dead Redemption one week befor launch. Haven't finished them and I was sleeping and studying for college and my friends were like you are a nutjob when I showed them the jet plane in GTA 5 and didn't played much of the game. Games can be famous but sometimes they may not be for you.

Knightime_X

Diablo games.
I DO love them, but I get burned out incredibly fast.
Every time I try to play diablo 2, by the time I reach act 2 i'm good and stop playing for like years.

TrueLegend

Witcher 3. I like worldbuilding and lore and stuff, so I wanted to play the previous games first. Witcher 1 has one of the worst battle systems I've ever played in a game though, so despite a few tries, I never made it more than an hour or two into that game.
No need to play witcher 1 and 3 bro .....no need to torture yourself.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Never played:
The Last of Us 2
Red Dead Redemption 2
Grand Theft Auto V

Tried for a short time and bailed, hated it:
The Last of Us 1
Red Dead Redemption 1
The Witcher 3
God of War Ragnarok (didn't really hate it, but didn't want to keep playing)
Grand Theft Auto IV
Cyberpunk 2099

Last edited:

Fredrik

Dark Souls 1-3

I started playing Demon’s Souls back on PS3, eventually bought Dark Souls 1 but thought I should finish Demon’s before starting with Dark but a new generation started and no BC so I never managed to finish it.

Eventually tried my luck again on Demon’s Souls on the remake. Came quite far but lost the interest from all the grinding to level up since I once again couldn’t git gud.

Rush2112

Banned
Funny how everyone is posting single player games while the most overhyped games are apex, Fortnite, cod, and other multiplayer games. Fukin EA sports games, all the online racing bullshit, all the online fighting games, all MMOs, Not a peep about any of these.

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

Never even touched a Final Fantasy game. Tried for years to get into TLoU but finally gave up and watched the tv series insterad. Enjoying TLoU2 now though. It has something to do with the feel of the controls and panning of the screen since TLoU2 felt instantly better the moment I took over the controls.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Funny how everyone is posting single player games while the most overhyped games are apex, Fortnite, cod, and other multiplayer games. Fukin EA sports games, all the online racing bullshit, all the online fighting games, all MMOs, Not a peep about any of these.
Because those aren't real games and no one even considers them as an answer, nahmean?

Elden Ring --- Tried to get into Dark Souls and Sekiro... just couldn't. So had no interest in this.

Any Nintendo game post-N64 ---- I won't support their underperforming console hardware strategy. Nintendo has some of the best, most creative dev talent in the industry and they waste it by forcing them to develop on garbage hardware.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
A lot of Nintendo’s games. I just don’t enjoy playing games on Switch.

Bayonetta 3
That Zelda Musou (not Hyrule Warriors)
Switch Fire Emblems

oji-san

Banned
GTA IV comes to mind, I played it multiple times on Xbox 360, every time for like 7-10 hours before quitting, didn't like anything in it besides the characters and story, it looked blurry on X360, the MC movement felt like block of wood, shooting wasn't fun and driving was also not fun, that's what i remember anyhow, i remember everybody talking about the game, even saw some reviews on local newspaper, was sure i would like it.

Humdinger

Oh gosh, lots of them.

- Mario games
- Zelda games (besides BotW)
- Final Fantasy games
- RDR2
- Metal Gear solid games
- Grand Theft Auto games (besides 3)
- Any high-rated sports game, racing game (except Burnout 3), or strategy game
- Souls-type games

If I surveyed the list of all games rated 90+, I'll bet I've only played 10% of them.

Last edited:

Unknown?

All of my roommates were into Borderlands, especially 2, it was like an event. Never cared. I only got it when it came to PSVR and even that didn't hold my interest.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
The list is loong:

- None of the soulsbornering games
- God of war
- Red Dead Redemption
- Zelda
- Spiderman
- The Last of Us
- Final Fantasy (except for X-2 for a bit)
- Metal Gear 4
- Gran Turismo beyond the first one
- Super Mario
- Persona
- Elder Scrolls
- Fallout

Almost anything that was +90 or close to that, exceptions apply like GTA and Resident Evil.
What do you play?

Dane

What do you play?
Land of The Dead: Road To Fiddlers' Green and Postal 2

f38.jpg

Last edited:

Rippa

Zelda BoTW and soon to be Tears of the Kingdom with that horseshit weapon breaking mechanic.

Fuck off with that horseshit fuse gimmick too.

I just want plane old indestructible Master Sword.

Chiggs

The list is loong:

- None of the soulsbornering games
- God of war
- Red Dead Redemption
- Zelda
- Spiderman
- The Last of Us
- Final Fantasy (except for X-2 for a bit)
- Metal Gear 4
- Gran Turismo beyond the first one
- Super Mario
- Persona
- Elder Scrolls
- Fallout

Almost anything that was +90 or close to that, exceptions apply like GTA and Resident Evil.

Do you like video games?

LostDonkey

RDR2 because I hated the first one, in fact western/cowboy games in general suck balls.

MGS3.

Anything from software after Dark Souls 1. I just don't get it. Terrible games.

CGNoire

Yeah, I will eventually. I just think of all the other games I could spend 40 hours playing and it's a tough sell having seen some of... questionable quality in the 7 hours of cutscene involved.
Dont.. the game is just as boring as your gut keeps telling you. It most cetainly is not worth it in the end and Im a full blown Kojima Stan whos favorite hobby is Hiking and who thinks he nailed the mechanics of it......and yet...zzzzzzzzz.....

brian0057

Banned
Literally any Metal Gear Solid game.
I can't stand the gameplay, the story is crap, and it's campy in the worse way. Hideo Kojima, Sam Raimi he ain't.

Also, Skyrim. But mostly because Daggerfall is the be all, end all when it comes to RPGs.

Marvel14

Banned
Mass Effect Trilogy. Not for lack of wanting to, either. I really want to and even bought the PS4 set. I just don't have the time for that rabbit hole.
Reminds me of those old style build your own adventure books where you make choices and have to go to a different page. I played 1 hour and then put it down.

Gandih42

Too many to mention, but among those I'd like to get to some day:

- TLOU 1/2
- Persona 5
- MGSV
- RDR2
- Battleborn
- GoW 2018/Ragnarok

Already that's more than what I can play in a year. Can't help being quite chuffed at the prospect of always having great games to play.

Top Bottom