• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some of the better old Batman comic stories?

J-Roderton

Old as in battered, grouchy, aged Bruce Wayne. I’m reading the current run of Batman and really digging it, but I’d like to go read a few older trades preferably with older Bruce. Never had to chance to check them out.

MC Safety

Don't know about older Bruce Wayne, but you can't go wrong with the Engleheart-Rogers Batmans. They're compiled into a trade paperback. Also, Mike W. Barr and Alan Davis did a great run on Batman/Detective that's been reprinted.

I guess by older Bruce Wayne you mean Frank Miller's Dark Knight series?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Well, The Dark Knight Returns is widely considered the pinnacle of Batman comics. That's Bruce coming out of retirement in a bizarre near-future to deal with a new gang of nihilistic young people, and subsequently a few old faces. Part 2 sucks, haven't read 3 but also haven't heard a thing about it. If you're reading any Batman though I'm probably wasting my breath even mentioning this.

J-Roderton

Well, The Dark Knight Returns is widely considered the pinnacle of Batman comics. That's Bruce coming out of retirement in a bizarre near-future to deal with a new gang of nihilistic young people, and subsequently a few old faces. Part 2 sucks, haven't read 3 but also haven't heard a thing about it. If you're reading any Batman though I'm probably wasting my breath even mentioning this.

That's the second mention of Dark Knight Returns so I'll check that out for sure.

wipeout364

I thought the Court of Owls was a pretty good story. I personally always thought the Dark Knight Returns saga was very overrated. It’s entertaining and worth reading but not as good to me as the the Legends would indicate.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
That's the second mention of Dark Knight Returns so I'll check that out for sure.
Oh man, you're in for a treat, as I said many consider it the best Batman thing ever written. There's also a 2.5 hour animated adaptation which is pretty damn good, but yeah, read the book.

I also strongly suggest Hush, it's not old Batman, but Batman as his peak.

I thought the Court of Owls was a pretty good story.

Also this, the New 52 run was excellent. Court of Owls (vol 1+2) and then the Joker arc (vol 3) were so good.

plushyp

Batman Beyond comic book series. Doesn't star Bruce in the main role but he's great as an old, badass man mentoring the new Batman aka Terry McGinnis. (ongoing)

Kingdom Come is an ensemble comic with Bruce in one of the lead roles with great art and a very interesting story. (4 issues)

Batman: Futures End features a a battered Bruce struggling to survive. (Single issue)

Flashpoint has Bruce's old dad as Batman. He's the co-lead with the Flash in a world where everything has gone to hell. (5 issues)

If you like FP Batman then check out Flashpoint: Batman - Knight of Vengeance. (3 issues)

Superman & Batman: Generations is basically what if the characters aged in real time (4 issues)

Last edited:

J-Roderton

Generations sounds awesome. Forgot to mention I just bought and read Kingdom Come a couple months ago. So, if anyone else hasn't read it, It is excellent.

top of my head:
Batman year one
No Man's Land
The Long Halloween
black glove
GCPD(spin-off as it has no Batman but focus on the Gotham police)
Arkham Asylum
gotham by gas light

Banned
The Long Halloween is a great one. Not a huge fan of the art style, but the story is top notch.

EDIT: I should clarify this because the comic itself is gorgeous, and the scenes that are presented look incredible. But the character design is...lacking, to say the least.

Last edited:

Catphish

Superman v Batman: Dawn of Justice was loosely based on The Dark Knight Returns. It endeared itself to me because of that.

But, yeah, another vote for TDKR. It's awesome. 👍

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Heretic over here: I really don't like The Dark Knight Returns, or Miller's involvement in Batman in general. It doesn't get the character right. I read Batman comics as a kid for a number of years, and grew up to be told that DKR is an adult-worthy story--but upon finally digging in, I came away profoundly disappointed in what passes as "adult" for the franchise. Basically, a capitulation to things that don't belong to this franchise.

The other suggestions here are fine though. : )

Catphish

Heretic over here: I really don't like The Dark Knight Returns, or Miller's involvement in Batman in general. It doesn't get the character right. I read Batman comics as a kid for a number of years, and grew up to be told that DKR is an adult-worthy story--but upon finally digging in, I came away profoundly disappointed in what passes as "adult" for the franchise. Basically, a capitulation to things that don't belong to this franchise.

The other suggestions here are fine though. : )
😶

hecatomb

Banned
I like when he punched out Guy from the green lanterns.
one-punch.jpg

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth. Just look at this insane yet beautiful artwork.
maxresdefault.jpg

1olRsks.jpg

J-Roderton

The Long Halloween and other books by Jeph Loeb are some of my favorites.

Borrowed a copy of this today from the library. I’m probably half way through it. Love what they’re doing with different holidays and seasons so far. Thanks for the tip.

CosCom

Neo Member
Old as in battered, grouchy, aged Bruce Wayne. I’m reading the current run of Batman and really digging it, but I’d like to go read a few older trades preferably with older Bruce. Never had to chance to check them out.
This is a drawback task.

tkscz

It's not Batman but it's close enough, the recent Redhood and the Outlaws (rebirth) has been soooooo good. It somehow managed to take Jason Todd and make him not only relatable, but likable. He even grew to finally get over his own death by choosing to let go of it, rather than hold on to it. It got a new writer with the last issue and it doesn't seem as good so far. Not bad by any means, definitely better than what we got with Nu52, but it's got a little too much edge on it and the new costume just kind of looks like some sort of Casey Jones rip-off.

tkscz

The Killing Joke a good read? Compared to the movie that is? I've seen it.
A really good one. Firstly, the first half of the movie is not in the book. Hell, the only part Barbara gets is when she gets shot. That entire Batman/Batgirl plot that no one liked was only in the movie. The entire second half of the movie is the book and that book, oh boy that book is good.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The Long Halloween
The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: Hush
Arkham Asylum
Those are excellent.

The Heart of Hush is good too.
The Man Who Laughs
Knightfall (infamous Bane fight with Bruce)

The Killing Joke is a better graphic novel than it is an animated show.

So we are ignoring all of Snyder's run right? :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Edit: A few on my bucket list are Batman and Son, Earth One, and and The Black Mirror

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Get the Knightfall volumes for more variety than any single book would otherwise give you. Each chapter moves through the different Batman comics (Shadow of the Bat, Detective Stories, etc) and that gives you a wonderful variety of presentations. Then you can move all the way through Knightquest and see Bruce return, etc. For me, that's far more meaningfully "canon" to who Batman is than any of the bizarre Frank Miller takes

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The self titled "Joker" graphic novel by Brian Azzarello is a very dark and twisted story about the Joker. It isn't a Batman/Bruce Wayne story, but its very dark. I'd say its the darkest Joker story I've ever read. If you are looking for that type of thing.

J-Roderton

Yo. Anyone pick up Batman Damned yet? Snagging my copy tomorrow. Looks to have a lot of Justice League Dark type stuff going on.

The self titled "Joker" graphic novel by Brian Azzarello is a very dark and twisted story about the Joker. It isn't a Batman/Bruce Wayne story, but its very dark. I'd say its the darkest Joker story I've ever read. If you are looking for that type of thing.
I think it was the inspiration for Heath Ledgers Joker, too.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I think it was the inspiration for Heath Ledgers Joker, too.

I had no idea. Interesting.

Wasn't there talk going on about Heath Ledger locking himself away and reading all the Joker comics? As if his death was partially caused by trying to become the character. I know it was a drug overdose, but I remember hearing much more.

Yo. Anyone pick up Batman Damned yet? Snagging my copy tomorrow. Looks to have a lot of Justice League Dark type stuff going on.

I saw somewhere where they show Batman's naked junk and there's a controversy about it. Not even kidding.

Last edited:
year one, the dark knight returns, batman vs. predator, knightfall was good too. (vengence of bane#1 is a prequel)

Last edited:
Top Bottom