• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the Best High Def XBOX games?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I got my shiny new 24" widescreen Dell monitor, i got my modded PAL xbox and my 'cheap as i could find' HD cable is on the way, so now all i need to know is what games should will make the most of my new toy?

I know most PAL versions of games dont run in HD, even with the cables, so NTSC suggestions are welcome i'll probably try and pick up a few from VG+ for christmas.

Feel free to back up your suggestions with images too.

BTW, i played Halo 2 through S-video on it at the weekend, all i can say is ewww.

www hdgames net is pretty useful for getting the full list.

In theory, switched to NTSC mode, everything will run in 480 p, which will look nicer.

The following passable games supposedly work in 720p:
Amped 2
Crash Nitro Kart
Fifa Street
Freedom Fighters
Soul Calibur 2
Hulk: Ultimare Destruction
Warriors
THPS4, THUG, THUG 2
Total Overdose

And MX vs ATV works in 1080i, so that would be the real tester I suppose...

pilonv1

Yeah if you switch to NTSC most PAL games should be fine, you don't need to re-purchase anything. Amped 2 in 720p looks great.

Oni Jazar

I just bought two cheap games in 720p for my HDTV. I ordered X-men Legends (due at the end of the week) for about $13 bucks at Gamefly but I couldn't wait that long (heh) so I got Evil Dead: Regeneration for $18 bucks at Brandsmart yesterday (My gf is a big ED fan so why not). 720p is pretty damn nice.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I played Hulk: Ultimate Destruction at 720p and it chugged like a bitch.

That's the only game I have done that though. What a disappointment.

Purple Drank

I'mma grip n sip
Cold Fear, an overlooked and slightly underrated clone of re4 on a russian oil ship has its moments and unique gameplay elements, and features 720p on my set. Rental worthy, most definitely, and now that its 19.99, worth a 20.00 purchase, IMO

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Well, there's Freedom Fighters which is a good game and looks pretty good in 720p. I guess True Crime could be worth checking out as well.

Don't know about Soul Calibur 2 though...4:3 and inconsistant framerate is a bit disappointing.

And uh...Rallisport Challenge 2? That's 480p only, ie not HD resolution.

Ghost, you said "I know most PAL versions of games dont run in HD". Are there ANY PAL games that run in HD resolution? I didn't even know there were any, seeing as you can't even switch to HD resolutions with the Xbox PAL dashboard.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
The list of 720p/1080i content is paper thin, so you might as well.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
TheDuce22 said:

Your xbox must be broken. Runs fine on mine and looks amazing.

Buahahahaha! Yeah, my Xbox must be broken.

Not. Maybe I just have a keener eye than you and can notice how the framerate isn't even close to what it is at 480p (especially when there are a lot of effects being applied). That's more likely I think.

Constant fillrate with increased resolution = lower framerate.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Kiriku said:
Well, there's Freedom Fighters which is a good game and looks pretty good in 720p. I guess True Crime could be worth checking out as well.

Don't know about Soul Calibur 2 though...4:3 and inconsistant framerate is a bit disappointing.

And uh...Rallisport Challenge 2? That's 480p only.

Ghost, you said "I know most PAL versions of games dont run in HD". Are there ANY PAL games that run in HD resolution? I didn't even know there were any, seeing as you can't even switch to HD resolutions with the Xbox PAL dashboard.

I remember reading someone saying that some PAL games have the HD options if you can get to them (ie using a modded xbox). No idea which ones though.

If that doesnt work i have a NTSC xbox anyways.

Thanks for the suggestions people, keep 'em coming.

TheDuce22

Banned
Not. Maybe I just have a keener eye than you and can notice how the framerate isn't even close to what it is at 480p (especially when there are a lot of effects being applied). That's more likely I think.

Constant fillrate with increased resolution = lower framerate.

I must have a special copy then because i didnt notice any framerate issues at all.

joaomgcd

Ghost said:
I remember reading someone saying that some PAL games have the HD options if you can get to them (ie using a modded xbox). No idea which ones though.

If that doesnt work i have a NTSC xbox anyways.

Thanks for the suggestions people, keep 'em coming.

EVery PAL game I tried on my modded-to-NTSC Xbox has worked in resolutions not not normally accessible to pal gamers (ie 480p, 720p and 1080i), except for NBA2K... So I don't think there are many games that DON'T work.. :p

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Yeah - playing Sould Calibur 2 in 4:3 on a 16:9 set stinks. My Hulk also chugs along quite a bit.

Not many choices really. Soul Calibur 2 I guess, but bordered 720P? Why? It seems to have a bit of a performance hit, but again it's 720p, it's understandable.

snatches

It might be only 480p but Ninja Gaiden (C- never forget) is clearly the best 16:9 experience on Xbox. Nothing looks better.

Top Bottom