• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the longest RPGs?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kinda inspired from the short RPGs, what RPGs do you consider the longest? Better if you can mention if it dragged on or the pace was on spot.

From what I've played:
1. Star Ocean 4 - 70 hours for main story - 100+ for completion
2. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC and SC - 45-60 hours each, barely touching the sidequests.
3. Dragon Quest IX - 70-90 hours
4. Tales of Graces f - 60-70 hours - Funny that this game is much longer than Xillia and Zestiria
5. Persona 4 - 80 hours

All these games, I found the pacing on spot except for DQIX. I thought the game got draggy towards the end.

Bravely Default took me 70 hours before I even got to the infamous Chapter 5 part everyone talked about. I've been playing for 30 more hours since then and I'm still not done. (I take my time with RPGs) I guess you could say Chapters 5-8 drag on.

Other long RPGs: Dragon Quest VII (upwards of 100 - 120 h for many), Dragon Quest VIII (upwards of 70 h?)

nan0

Xenoblade Chronicles is about 75h for the main story and a decent amount of sidequests. Postgame can be 100+ for all sidequests, gem crafting and unique enemies. Pacing is good throughout the main story, new areas and story twists keep coming and there is little need to grind if you didn't completely ignore the sidequests.

And I didn't play it, but wasn't Xenogears pretty long as well?

I had 100 hours on Persona 3 and 4 by the time I completed them. Xenoblade Chronicles X looks like another 100 hour adventure. Currently playing Witcher 3 and that appears to be yet another 100 hours.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Thought the game was only like 50 hours?

Dragon quest games are definitely up there, OP. They vary but VII is also crazy long.

Anything VII and above are crazy long, so I'm expecting DQXI to be 70-80 hours long. Other than that, VI and below are short:

I - 10 hours
II - 12 hours
IV - 10-15 hours
V - 20-25 hours
VI - 30-35 hours

Fallout New Vegas certainly was up there for me once the DLC was factored in. The best part of it is that's not even including all of the main quest content due to the branching narrative which means you won't see everything first time round.

jb1234

The longest RPGs I've played are Dragon Quest VII (104 hours) and Xenoblade (83). The former especially doesn't earn its length, although there's many fine moments in it.

it all depends on you and if you like optional stuff. as for me, my top 3 lengthy rpgs:

skyrim, 150 hours per new game
witcher 3, 120 hours per new game
dark souls, 70 hours per new game

MrT-Tar

When I replayed Xenoblade Chronicles last year upon its 3DS port, it took me 83 hours to complete the main story and a substantial minority if side quests

Myriadis

Xenoblade Chronicles is about 75h for the main story and a decent amount of sidequests. Postgame can be 100+ for all sidequests, gem crafting and unique enemies. Pacing is good throughout the main story, new areas and story twists keep coming and there is little need to grind if you didn't completely ignore the sidequests.

Indeed, most RPGs I finish at 30-40 hours, but Xenoblade Chronicles took me a good 75 hours until I reached the end, and that's for someone who mostly doesn't do many sidequests. That game is packed with content and it's pretty much a given that you'll reach level 80 (of 100) in that game while most jRPGs finish at ~40.

Final Fantasy XII took me a good 96 hours until I finished it the first time, but that's because I was so immersed in the game that I wanted to see everything the game has to offer, and I still haven't discovered several secrets. Incredible game.

Emarv

Just started Trails in the Sky FC and now I'm more nervous. But I tend to beat most JRPGs in shorter time than the average HLTB time. I just beat FF Tactics in less than 30 hours so I'm decently confident in this one.

Longest I've played was definitely my first Persona 4 run.

Arcatax

I put 330 hours into Pokemon Emerald when it came out. I finished the main story in 30 hours so i spent another 300 hours trying to complete the pokedex I think. I had about 20 left iirc. I put 150 hours into Dragon Quest 8 and more recently, 100 hours into Fallout 4 and Im currently 78 hours into The Witcher 3 and I'm not topping any time soon.

ASIS

nah Xenoblade is about 65 hours for main story. 100% completion is another story though.

KKRT00

BG2 was like 150h game, but games from Elder Scrolls series, especially with mods You can play for 300h easily.

My first run of Mass Effect 2 took me 43h, but i played on Insanity too.

ManeKast

Xenoblade Chronicles X : I'm at 100hrs and only just finished chapter 10 (of 12 I think?) and am about 57% explored in Mira. I haven't grinded at all. The side missions, affinity missions and exploring all link up perfectly when you do everything. Not much filler either. I've been busy and happy the whole time. Still hooked; thats huge.

Tenrius

Anything VII and above are crazy long, so I'm expecting DQXI to be 70-80 hours long. Other than that, VI and below are short:

I - 10 hours
II - 12 hours
IV - 10-15 hours
V - 20-25 hours
VI - 30-35 hours

This doesn't look right. DQIV took me 35 hours and I currently have 40 hours in DQV, still not done (I'm in the final dungeon though).

Some other picks:

SMT: Nocturne - 70 hours
Yakuza 4 - 70 hours
Baldur's Gate II - 120 hours

Dragon Quest VII may just have the longest main story of any rpg, most people clock in well over 100 hours.

I generally play through rpgs with little side questing during my initial run and save extra content for post game after I see the credits role. Only exception of this being Xenoblade X as side questing is more of the focus for that one.

Not sure how most people beat Xenoblade 1 after 75 hours? Took me a little over 50 with just a little side questing.

ManeKast

Oh yeah Witcher 3 I am at 140hrs and yet to start the DLC or finish it. I do take my time and really explore everything in most RPGs. I really gotta pick this back up.

The Giant

Banned
Xenoblade - 100hrs to beat and stop playing

Xenoblade X - 120+ hrs. Still can see another 30-50 hrs playtime for me.

PetrCobra

Surprised nobody mentioned Wizardry 7 yet (I think it was 7, the long one), I usually see it mentioned frequently in threads like this one.

Dark_castle

Using http://howlongtobeat.com/forum.php?topic=1

For RPG, DQVII is the longest at around 105 hours, just for the main story.

Witcher 3 would have to be among the top few.

There is no doubt Witcher 3 is a massive game, but strictly following the main campaign, it apparently averages at around 44 hours. Not a small number by any means, but isn't really huge. Many RPG are longer, especially JRPG since they tend to be more linearly structured and story-focused, whereas in western game like Witcher 3, it's easy to wander off the path, not actually engaging in the main story, sometimes without player noticing. Witcher 3 does this especially well, since many sub-quests rival main questline in dialogue and quest complexity.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Witcher 3 is the longest I've played. 80+ hours in and only just passed the halfway mark story wise.

Wingus

Yep, that was the case for me. 70 hours for Xenoblade story completion as well. On par with persona 3 and 4.

The most obvious candidate, as mentioned is Dragon Quest 7.

Cropduster89

Neo Member
My FFX save file with all of the extra bosses like Penance and the Dark Aeons down clocks in at about 180-190 hours, but the vast majority of that was a horrible grind. Think the story can be done in like 40.

And to be honest I dread to think how many hours I've put into Disgaea 2 over the years.

CRPGs do very well if length is what you're after (wayhay), Baldur's Gate 2 can take over 150 hours if you're doing everything, and none of that is grind.

Pillars of Eternity took me over 100ish hours in PotD difficulty as well.

My oldest Oblivion save is sitting at about 400 hours but I probably spent most of that jumping off cliffs to bump up my acrobatics.

Soriku

Persona 3 took me 90 hours, Persona 4 (PS2 original) took me 65.

P3 Journey took me 80 hours but then the Answer took me another 22. P4 did take me 65.

After P5's delay they said they were focusing on adding more content so I wonder how long it will be...

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Has to be DQVII, it's ridiculous.

My original playthrough was over 120 hours and that's kind of what's stopping me ever playing it again. Though it is still somewhat tempting to do the 3DS version.

Wasn't Daggerfall stupidly big?

Yes and no, all the towns and dungeons are just copied and pasted thousands of times.

Top Bottom