• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the longest RPGs?

AniHawk

my personal top 5:

1. xenoblade chronicles x (130 hours)
2. xenoblade chronicles (120 hours)
3. dragon quest viii (76 hours)
4. xenogears (72 hours)
5. bravely default (60 hours)

of those, the only one i'd consider a fucking time vampire is bravely default.

Thought the game was only like 50 hours?

Dragon quest games are definitely up there, OP. They vary but VII is also crazy long.

I doubt many people will be able to finish Witcher 3 on their first run in 50 hours. The game is huge. Bigger than most of the games listed in this thread so far. Dwarfs any Dragon Quest game I've played too for example, except maybe VII and even then they're probably about the same.

Alexm92

Divinity: Original Sin EE took me 101 hours to finish main story and nearly all side quests. Witcher 3 took me like 90+ hours

Dark_castle

I doubt many people will be able to finish Witcher 3 on their first run in 50 hours. The game is huge. Bigger than most of the games listed in this thread so far. Dwarfs any Dragon Quest game I've played too for example, except maybe VII and even then they're probably about the same.

That is because since Witcher 3 is open world, it's simply too easy to not stick strictly to the main story and running around, exploring, doing random side quests you encountered along your way of the main quest. JRPG like DQVII don't really have such situations. They're very linear, you move from point a to point b most of the time, constantly following the main story. Witcher 3 had player following a story that branches in and out, often with few side quest, that are not essential to do to beat the game.

Statistic was out there. Consciously just do the unavoidable main quests, skip all exploration, sidetracks, sidequest, Witcher 3 will end up a lot shorter than most would incline to believe. Do the same again for say DQVII, the numbers might just come out differently.

Perun

Surprised nobody mentioned Wizardry 7 yet (I think it was 7, the long one), I usually see it mentioned frequently in threads like this one.

I'm surprised (I guess I shouldn't be) most people don't mention games like Baldur's Gate 2 or Fallout 2, but jRPGs that sometimes involve a substantial amount of grinding. Amount of "content" means nothing too, Dragon Age: Inquisition and Fallout 4 also had great amount of "content", but they felt like offline MMORPGs more than anything - finish a generic quest/clear the location on the map and move into another, level up and gear up. Baldur's Gate 2 on the other hand became a benchmark for cRPGs in terms of sub-plots, making each playthrough feel like starting a new adventure, there's always some side quest, story or event I missed or chose a different path to its completion. Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin definitely scratched that itch too.

Persona 4 topped 110 hours on the game clear save, Persona 3 was about 90 if I remember correctly. Technically I put about 300 hours into Oblivion before beating the main quest, but I don't really qualify that since you can make a straight line through the main quest in a few hours.

Dark_castle

Actually, I'm not sure if I trust howlongtobeat now, after seeing that it listed main story for DA:I averages at around 44 hours too. Pretty sure it was way,way shorter if we strictly do the main story and ignore all the filler bullshit or the inner circle quests, which are optional. I am talking like less than 20 hours long.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Most of the main ones have been mentioned already. Was going to say Tactics Ogre but i see someone beat me to it. As for a game that hasnt been brought up yet, how about the longest Ultima-like game i know of.. Deathlord. Maybe its because there were no guides or internet but my and my friends didnt finish it over a summer vacation despite playing for hours every day.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Isn't FF12 the shortest one in terms of pure story??

FFXII took me like 35-40 hours to complete. Dunno how it became 120 hours.

Nere

How come nobody mentioned Morrowind yet?
That game has an insane number of content, with all the expansions it is 200-300 hours easily.

Durante

Baldur's Gate 2 is probably the longest I've played that justifies its length with unique content.

A lot of (particularly J-) RPGs in this thread overstayed their welcome for me.

mikemandey

As already mentioned before, cRPGs usually have insane amount of content especially the older ones

I've played these games for 70+ hours and haven't finished some of them:

Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale 2, wizardry 8, Arcanum

That is because since Witcher 3 is open world, it's simply too easy to not stick strictly to the main story and running around, exploring, doing random side quests you encountered along your way of the main quest. JRPG like DQVII don't really have such situations. They're very linear, you move from point a to point b most of the time, constantly following the main story. Witcher 3 had player following a story that branches in and out, often with few side quest, that are not essential to do to beat the game.

Statistic was out there. Consciously just do the unavoidable main quests, skip all exploration, sidetracks, sidequest, Witcher 3 will end up a lot shorter than most would incline to believe. Do the same again for say DQVII, the numbers might just come out differently.
Shouldn't you be looking at the time needed to finish all the content? if a game is linear, that simply means doing all the content doesn't require much effort to seek it out. Fallout 1 for example can be legitimately beaten in a few minutes, but that obviously isn't an accurate indication of the length of the game.

There are a few issues with comparing games in this way. In RPG's with voice acting, conversations will take much longer than if they were not voiced, because you read much faster than NPC's speak. Some RPG's have a very high rate of random encounters, while some allow you to avoid combat altogether. In some RPG's large amounts of content can be locked out depending on your choices, in others not so much. Some RPG's take longer simply because the combat animations are slow-paced, while others have faster animations or even let you auto-resolve combat.

Xenogears (70-80) and Persona 3 (100) are two games where I put in a lot of hours. And Xenogears had cut content. Imagine how long it'd be if it had the real disc 2!

I can't think of many RPGs that won't top 50+ hrs if you go in unguided and do a bunch of optional stuff. I'm easily over 100hrs in Divinity, but that's partly because the game likes to not tell me what it wants me to do.

All the Xenoblade mentions are funny to me, I beat the game in under 40 hours. I focused mainly on the story, but I'm not sure how so many get such inflated play times from the game.

Didn't the makers of Kingdom of Amalur state that it would take 200+ hours to do everything in the game?

It didn't take nearly as long though, it was just a bullshit statement, like many of them are(devs saying their game takes x hours before release that is). I don't want to bother launching Origin but I'm pretty sure I had only like 50ish hours with everything cleared(not all achievements but that's not what I'd consider content, any game can require 400hours if they have stupid "finish the game 30times" achievements).

I think Skyrim is probably up there, I had a 150+hour game that didn't have everything cleared. Granted a lot of the "content" is kinda crappy, and the core content(main quest+side quests, not just random caves) is quite a bit smaller, but still pretty big.

Divinity:Original Sin was 100+hours on a first playthrough.

Baldur's Gate 2 as mentionned has a ton of content, although I haven't replayed it so I have no idea exactly how much.

FFXII, DQ8, and Persona 3 FES were probably the three it took me the longest to do everything in. over 100 hours for all of them.

I wouldn't recommend the post game dungeons in FES though. what a slog, ugh

Arthea

I'm not sure there is a longer one than Dragon Quest 7, it took me years to finish (I tried to 100% it) and I still didn't manage to do everything, I can't say how many hours I spent with it but it was way past 170.
I also happen to know that 100%-ing Star Ocean 4 took people something like ~500 hours, that's why I never attempted it.
The same is true for Kingdoms of Amalur, although I'm not sure anyone really 100%-ed it, or is it even humanly possible.

TheMoon

All the Xenoblade mentions are funny to me, I beat the game in under 40 hours. I focused mainly on the story, but I'm not sure how so many get such inflated play times from the game.

By not ignoring sidequests and actually exploring the world, not just critical pathing the story.

Dragon Warrior 7.

The minimum to beat that game is 100 hours. I remember people gave it lower reviews because it was such an insanely long game. I remember I was well within the 150~ range by the time I beat it and I normally finish RPGs much faster than the average player.

Arthea

According to http://howlongtobeat.com/ it's actually the longest FF to play through (longer than Witcher 3 btw.).

I think the RPGs I took the most time just for a story-focused playthrough were Persona 3 and 4 with 70-80 hours.

how long to beat isn't reliable at all, and FF12 certainly wasn't longest of FF that I played, FFX-2 was, granted that's 3 playthroughs combined, but I don't think you can 100% it without using a guide in less runs, even with 3 is rather hard and it's totally possible to miss some things.

daveo42

Banned
Personally I think I put something close to 170hrs into P3FES and 130hrs into P4 Golden. I tended to take a moment to figure out what I wanted to do any given day and check like every available location before making a decision. I also revisited dungeons or floors in both.

Western RPGs usually eat up north of 60hrs, with Skyrim taking me 110hrs to clear the main campaign. I basically ignored it up to about hour 100.

Dragon Quest VIII is hellalong if you're including the sidequests. Even ignoring them, there's the "true" ending which has you go through an extra super tough dungeon and fight another boss. You are rewarded with another optional 10 bosses or so, prefaced with a dungeon and another boss each time. Then you have to fight them all at once and it gets a bit silly.

rhandino

Banned
From the JRPG I have played the longest ones have been Final Fantasy XII, Xenoblade Chronicles, Bravely Default, almost all the SMT games released on the PS2 (except Digital Devil Saga Vol. 1), Dragon Quest VIII (game is VERY slow and lowkey grindfesty) and IX but I think Xenoblade X has beat them all for me.

I mean, I just completed the Flight Module sidequest and I am at Chapter 9 of
for the main story and yet:
OzdHRM1h.jpg

pmt9f0yl.jpg

I have not been bothered to do the filler quests, explore in depth the crafting system or even affinity or material grind.

EDIT: Oh shit, forgot to add Tales of Graces f since that game + Epilogue is fucking ace and really long... in the other hand you have Xillia with 2 main characters but thisbis kind of messy since Jude story is really the main one and Milla is more like a shallow complementary material.

Arthea

Dragon Quest VIII is hellalong if you're including the sidequests. Even ignoring them, there's the "true" ending which has you go through an extra super tough dungeon and fight another boss. You are rewarded with another optional 10 bosses or so, prefaced with a dungeon and another boss each time. Then you have to fight them all at once and it gets a bit silly.

even 100%-ing, it's not even 100 hours, that doesn't count as long even, let alone hella long!
I think it took me something like 80-90 hours for everything.

Wingus

Dragon Warrior 7.

The minimum to beat that game is 100 hours. I remember people gave it lower reviews because it was such an insanely long game. I remember I was well within the 150~ range by the time I beat it and I normally finish RPGs much faster than the average player.

Yep, even if you're focusing just for story completion and not every sidequest, it takes 85-90+ hours just to finish the game.

No other JRPG even comes close to DQ7 when it comes to this (for the bare minimum)

even 100%-ing, it's not even 100 hours, that doesn't count as long even, let alone hella long!
I think it took me something like 80-90 hours for everything.

Haha, well I'm at the 140 hour mark and haven't even finished the trials. That's pretty long for me.

By not ignoring sidequests and actually exploring the world, not just critical pathing the story.
I did quite a few sidequests and a good bit of exploring in my play through as well. Found a lot of the secret areas and such. I didn't bother with Colony 9 though, that might be part of it. Point is, I didn't rush the game, I just did the amount of side content I thought necessary then did the story when I felt I wanted to continue. The story is very gripping so that wasn't a hard choice.

Omadahl

Banned
Xenogears took me about 80+ hours to beat. Just imagine how long it would have been if the third disc hadn't been mostly cut scenes?

Baldur's Gate 2 itself was easily an 80 hour campaign. When you combine it with the Throne of Bhaal expansion, it easily topped 100 hours.

Witcher 3 deserves a special mention because unlike a lot of open world games, it's main quest is very long and detailed and takes quite a long time to complete. I'd estimate that if you ignored all the optional quests in the game, the main questline would still easily be 50 hours.

Arthea

Haha, well I'm at the 140 hour mark and haven't even finished the trials. That's pretty long for me.

hey, I'm not saying you can't spent more than 100 hours in that game, it's gorgeous and fun, the heck I once spent 220 hours in FF7 back in a day when we still didn't know that many of those hints or items don't lead anywhere, simply because of things not getting into the final game or just left unfinished for the heck of it. Revisiting every location many times, talking with folks, searching every nook and cranny will do that.
What I was trying to say, 100 hours is not really necessary to 100% it, then again it depends on how efficient you are.

Oh yeah. I did the main quest, plus maybe 50-75% of side stuff, and hit 120 hours.

now I'm scared to play it, still haven't but I will, usually I try to 100% games and get somewhat upset if it takes too much effort or time.

draetenth

Easily Dragonquest VII. I remember it took me like 110 hours and that was without doing any of the sidequests or grinding or anything. It was just a very long game (iirc it was pretty poor paced too, but it's been a long time since I've played it).

I've put 100 hours in other games (like SMT: Nocturne), but that was because I spent time filling out the compendium, doing sidequests, or grinding (since you need to be a high level to fuse the high level demons). Dragonquest VII was just long.

batrush

SMT Strange Journey. Long-ass, exhausting game. Focused mostly on the main plot and barely spent time with demon fusion. Still took me about 65 hours to clear. Fucking excellent game though.

Dark_castle

Shouldn't you be looking at the time needed to finish all the content? if a game is linear, that simply means doing all the content doesn't require much effort to seek it out. Fallout 1 for example can be legitimately beaten in a few minutes, but that obviously isn't an accurate indication of the length of the game.

There are a few issues with comparing games in this way. In RPG's with voice acting, conversations will take much longer than if they were not voiced, because you read much faster than NPC's speak. Some RPG's have a very high rate of random encounters, while some allow you to avoid combat altogether. In some RPG's large amounts of content can be locked out depending on your choices, in others not so much. Some RPG's take longer simply because the combat animations are slow-paced, while others have faster animations or even let you auto-resolve combat.
Well there are two ways to go about this. I prefer the purer way, that is to compare just the main story. I don't know about Fallout 1, but it means no cheating out of the game, like I know one of the newer Far Cry game has an easter egg that lets player win early in the game. But actually following the story, playing normally but strictly sticking to the main events, no sidetracking or optional exploration.

Or you could count content as whatever, like going out of your way to pick up random herbs on the ground. That counts as content to you? You could do that in say Witcher 3 and have endless amount of content. Because content is an uncountable matter. Exploring around, fighting enemies to gain exp, counts as content right? Repeat that for many hours, there, thousand hours of content.

Yeah, I'm going with the former.

FFXII took me like 35-40 hours to complete. Dunno how it became 120 hours.

I feel like all Matsuno games are like that. You could run through tactics ogre in like 50 hours, but everybody plays it for a 100 because the cool items and characters take a ton of time to get. Theyre oddly compelling and at the same time off-putting games.

Top Bottom