• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2009)

Karakand

2uzxp8m.jpg

P.S. February is Fantasy Novel Disappreciation Month so be sure to find something else to read!

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
nonfiction:
417DJ9WQ5QL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

"The City" is currently a pretty huge theme in historical studies so I grabbed this off the syllabus of "history of paris" which is a grad seminar here. Book is great so far. Probably doesn't offer too much to people who aren't history people though so tread with caution. There are books about france for you people.

fiction:
51WNKS6DQKL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Kinda underwhelming. Amis imitates what he thinks Nabokov style is, and he gets the jokes right but he's not doing so hot on the storytelling half.

2v0hg8n.jpg

Still reading. It's good so far, but one of the characters (Ellen) is somewhat... inconsistent and it's annoying me. It's like the author couldn't decide who he wanted her to be. One minute, she's a headstrong wildcat and the next she's all sweetness and gentility. Hopefully there's a reason for this later on.

Salazar

Currently institutionalised, so reading has taken on enlarged significance and is taking up a great deal of time.

Still going on rereading Flash For Freedom ! by G.M. Fraser.
Making a very pleasurable start on Roald Dahl's Going Solo, too.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
BorkBork said:
I'm reading Slaughter House Five right now. He certainly has a unique style.

This is my first Vonnegut book, so I'm curious to see how I take to his style. My brother loves him.

Karakand

mjc said:
http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/4099_Book-Neuromancer.jpg

I'm reading it for a class I'm in this semester.
"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."

SyNapSe said:
.. and here I thought you just drank a lot and watched sports :)
I usually stay out of arts and entertainment GAF because I'm a snob (or a reactionary depending on the medium) but somebody dropped the ball this month!

the_road_3.jpg

jesus this book is so good. I finished it in two days. I have another Ian M. Banks book to read but Comac has spoiled me with his amazing writing, I wonder if I can go back?

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Luckily my book is as fantasy as they come

51pCVQvrhWL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Just finished Wizards: Magical Tales from the Masters of Modern Fantasy

Not really a fan of short story collections featuring multiple authors, though this is actually the only one I've ever read. It's as I imagined, a few standouts with a lot of mediocre in between.

I actually only bought this for Peter S Beagle's story, Barrens Dance, which was described as "indifferent" in one review. In my opinion, it's probably the best thing he's written since The Last Unicorn.

It's about perhaps the only truly evil wizard to ever exist that can only express his magic through dance and who falls in "love" with a woman on first sight and is determined to have her, one way or another.

When your life is all taking, what need to learn courtship? Carcharos's passion for Jassi Belnarak deepened and darkened with every sleepless night, but it did not keep him from understanding that neither beneficence nor meek wistfulness would win her honestly. Power would have to do, after all; and I think that for the only time in that bad life, Carcharos may truly have regretted the necessity of forcing his will on another person. The moment can't have lasted long, but I think further that it may have been the closest Carcharos ever came to knowing love.

A few standouts:

Tad Williams' The Stranger's Hands. A stranger appears who can give anyone their heart's desire simply by grasping his hand.

The only apparent failure of Eli's magical touch was Pender, the blacksmith, who went to the campsite a massive, strapping man with a beard that reached halfway down his chest, and went away again with the shape and voice and apparently all the working parts of a slender young woman.

Jeffrey Ford's The Manticore Spell. An old wizard casts a spell to protect the last manticore in existence so that it can die from old age, rather than the weapons of hunters.

Terry Bisson's Billy and the Wizard was more cute than anything, but it really stood out to me.

"Pull my string," said Clyde.
Billy did.
"Even dolls hate dolls," said Clyde. "I would rather be a little boy like you."
"Really?" said Billy. He hugged Clyde and pulled his string again.
"Not really," said Clyde. "You're a sissy. Would you like to meet the Wizard?"
"I already did," said Billy. "And I am not a sissy."
"How many little sissies get to meet the Wizard?" asked Clyde.

Neil Gaiman's The Witch's Headstone was nice. It was about a young boy who just tries to do something nice for a long dead witch, whose grave he is always warned away from.

"Does it work? Are they happier dead?"
Silas grinned so wide and sudden that he showed his fangs. "Sometimes. Mostly, no. It's like the people who believe they'll be happy if they go and live somewhere else, but who learn it doesn't work that way. Wherever you go, you take yourself with you. If you see what I mean."

Alucard

Banned
I just finished Demons Don't Dream by Piers Anthony. Here is the review I wrote at the time.

51VS760AB9L._SX160_.jpg

This is a fun and whimsical tale that is filled with clever puns and teenage perversity. I can't count the amount of times that Anthony mentions young girls' panties, and how often magical creatures strip down to nothing. It's all a little juvenile, but thankfully the main story is a fun romp through the magical land of Xanth, and features some strong moral decisions made by the human characters. There is even some social commentary, all amidst fantasy novel staples such as centaurs and goblins.

Piers Anthony is a clever writer, and his slew of puns mixes entertainment with some well-deserved groans. A fairy named Fairy Nuff, a pooping pigeon called a Stool Pigeon; these plays on words are found throughout the book, and despite the eye rolls they may sometimes induce, they add to the overall charm of the tale.

What really put this book over the top for me was the Author's Note at the end, which mentions the real life inspirations for some of the book's characters, and their sad situations. That personal touch really gave this book an extra bit of warmth that makes it that much easier to appreciate and enjoy. It's not a book that will change your life, but if you're looking for a fun, light adventure in a creative magical land, Demons Don't Dream is a nice fit. 3.5/5

Next on my list is a classic I have waited a long time to get around to.

n17423.jpg

I'm looking forward to cracking it soon.

vareon

51debpd%2BBWL._SS500_.jpg

I have no motivation of continue reading more than the first few pages, though. I found it pretty boring, it's just not the kind of book I liked. Bought this very cheap at a local bookstore, should I continue?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
2itrgc3.jpg

Bought these years ago but just got around to reading them over the last two weeks. Loved them just like I loved the authors' Orphans trilogy.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
"Irradiated Mammary Gland Stroma Promotes the Expression of Tumorigenic
Potential by Unirradiated Epithelial Cells"
by Mary Helen Barcellos-Hoff and Shraddha A. Ravani

Science Rules!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
2gy1sok.jpg

Should finish it today or tomorrow. Excellent book so far. Sorry for crappy phone pic, but the cover of the copy I'm reading is just such awesome cheap 80's fantasy style that nothing I found online would do.

Karakand said:
P.S. February is Fantasy Novel Disappreciation Month so be sure to find something else to read!

I tried to look this up on google, to see who decided it is "Fantasy Novel Disappreciation Month," but the only result is this thread. :D

I've got some non fiction I can read, but I go through a few books per month so I'm sure I'll be back at the fantasy sooner rather than later.

ThirdPoliceman.jpg
Just finished this, fucking unbelievable, probably my favorite book now, next to Catcher in the Rye. It's written so clearly yet elagantly blows your mind. has anyone else read this one?

EDIT: I'm also reading
Daemon.jpg

Meier

I am not much of a reader but the synopsis of The Big Rich in the recent issue of GQ has my interest piqued.

Eric P

Karakand said:
2uzxp8m.jpg

excellent book, but it could be called a fantasy novel.

i'm reading

book-vintageusa-1400031575-large.jpg

So far, it's excellent.

Meliorism

Anobyl said:
Naked Lunch

For one of my classes.

I'm about 100 pages in and and I don't know what the fuck is going on :(

I wanted to see what all the buzz was about Burroughs, so I read this. Strangest thing I've read.

Hmm, not really reading anything right now. Sorta casually reading The Bell Jar.

Alucard

Banned
Monroeski said:
2gy1sok.jpg

Should finish it today or tomorrow. Excellent book so far. Sorry for crappy phone pic, but the cover of the copy I'm reading is just such awesome cheap 80's fantasy style that nothing I found online would do.

I tried to look this up on google, to see who decided it is "Fantasy Novel Disappreciation Month," but the only result is this thread. :D

I've got some non fiction I can read, but I go through a few books per month so I'm sure I'll be back at the fantasy sooner rather than later.

That cover is pretty fantastic. Based on that alone, I am interested in this book. Well, that and you saying it's been excellent so far.

<3 sci-fi.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
ThirstyFly said:
41JuAMSelxL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Just finished I Am Legend (loved it). Now I'm moving on to the short stories also included in the book.

Excellent book. I havnt read anything else from Matheson though.

I just finished

41mZ-9Du5TL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

It was my first graphical novel I'm looking to check out some other ones it was great

thomaser

octopusman said:
ThirdPoliceman.jpg
Just finished this, fucking unbelievable, probably my favorite book now, next to Catcher in the Rye. It's written so clearly yet elagantly blows your mind. has anyone else read this one?

Yeah, read it last year. Loved it, definitely the most trippy, strange book I've read. I love the 2D policestation!

51JMZS7BKML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Plugging away at Robert Musil's "The Man Without Qualities", nearing the end of vol.1. It's great, feels similar to Thomas Mann but with more humour. It's so overwhelmingly intelligent at times that it makes me feel stupid, though - I have to just glaze through paragraphs here and there because I don't understand them. Most of it is perfectly understandable, though, helped a lot by the brilliant, lucid writing.

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy, which wins the Best Sentence of the Written Word award
Now driving in a wild frieze of headlong horses with eyes walled and teeth cropped and naked riders with clusters of arrows clenched in their jaws and their shields winking in the dust and up the far side of the ruined ranks in a piping of bone flutes and dropping down off the sides of their mounts with one heel hung in the withers strap and their short bows flexing beneath the outstretched necks of the ponies until they had circled the company and cut their ranks in two and then rising up again like funhouse figures, some with nightmare faces painted on their breasts, riding down the unhorsed Saxons and spearing and clubbing them and leaping from their mounts with knives and running about on the ground with a peculiar bandylegged trot like creatures driven to alien forms of locomotion and stripping the clothes from the dead and seizing them up by the hair and passing their blades about the skulls of the living and the dead alike and snatching aloft the bloody wigs and hacking and chopping at the naked bodies, ripping off limbs, heads, gutting the strange white torsos and holding up great handfuls of viscera, genitals, some of the savages so slathered up with gore they might have rolled in it like dogs and some who fell upon the dying and sodomized them with loud cries to their fellows.
:eek:

way more

aidan said:

That's a great first book of his to read. I've only read perhaps 5 of his works and Sirens was heavy on the weird sci-fi and frailty that I love from Vonnegut.

I'm picking though my dad's library and grabbed this first.

TimeQuake
1054-1.jpg

The prologue doesn't really stir your excitement. He says he spent decades on the book only to realize it was crap and he trashed most of it. What's the word on it?

seltzer.jpg

The actual title is Serial Killers: Death and Life in America's Wound Culture and it's more about modern society forming open wounds at points of violence. It's very academic and while fun, it's also a slow read. Much time is spent on popular culture and serial killers in entertainment. The author highly recommends Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. He calls it "splatterpunk," and says that it and movies like Unforgiven may show that westerns were all about serial killers.

Top Bottom