• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2012)

Mumei

Hey there. I'm in need of some book recommandations for my summer vacation. So far I've got "Life of Pi" on my list but I think that I need at least two more. Though I normally read a lot of fantasy I thought that this vacation I take a break from that genre. Books can still have sureal or slightly fantastic elements.
I love Murakami, but since he is pretty unique I don't think that there is anything similar out there, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Also really liked Shadow of the Wind, is the sequel any good?
Please no sad and or depressing books.

Thank you!

Some of Italo Calvino's stuff (e.g. The Baron in the Trees, Cosmicomics, The Cloven Knight, If on a winter's night a traveler) have surrealist elements that are treated pretty straight. I was actually introduced to him by a professor who recommended him when I had mentioned like Murakami.

It is not exactly the same, but I still really enjoyed it.

Nezumi

Some of Italo Calvino's stuff (e.g. The Baron in the Trees, Cosmicomics, The Cloven Knight, If on a winter's night a traveler) have surrealist elements that are treated pretty straight. I was actually introduced to him by a professor who recommended him when I had mentioned like Murakami.

It is not exactly the same, but I still really enjoyed it.

Checked him out on amazon, sounds good. Sadly not everything is available on Kindle, should have mentioned that in my post.

jacobs34

I've been reading a lot this month trying to get through my huge backlog of books. So far this month I've read:

1Q84_jacket.jpg

This was the first book I bought when I purchased a Kindle and it wasn't until I finished the book that I realized it was almost a thousand pages long. This was also my first Murakami book, and while I enjoyed the genearl narrative and characters, it felt like there was a lot of redundancy in the action, and large chunks of the novel where nothing happens.

breaks-of-the-game.jpg

I've been told by a number of people that Breaks is required reading for anyone who wants to be a sportswriter and/or enjoys the game of basketball on a advanced level. I don't think I've ever read a work of sports writing that feels so lived in. Halberstam is able to encapsulate 1979 Trail Blazers season so well that you would think you you had just watched them play last year. There is also a lot of talk about how TV contracts and the formation of the players union changed the game. It's not the easiest read, but I highly recommend it.

46170.jpg

Not a whole lot to say about this book that hasn't already been said. Hemingway does such a beautiful job in detailing the minutia of life a as a soldier. My favorite aspect of Hemingway's writing is his talent for writing about the little joys in life; the comfort of a woman, a glass of wine, an afternoon at a cafe. He makes the little things seem worth fighting for.

9780316074230_388X586.jpg

Trying read David Foster Wallace feels like running a marathon in the dark with a pack of angry raccoons chasing you. After an eight page paragraph where the action shifts twenty times, I'm exhausted, confused, and more than a little terrified about where all of this could possibly be heading - but in a good way!

That's it for this month. Next month I'm going to try to tackle Faulkners The Sound and The Fury and Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov. Kurt Vonnegut once said that you can learn everything you need to know about being a man by reading The Brothers Karamazov, we'll see if that holds true.

Finished
9014.jpg

Don't remember who recommended this, but it was amazing. Pretty much read it straight through. King is a master when he is on and I think he must've written this when he was in his prime. From beginning to end I was on the road with these boys, experiencing their long walk in hell.

Thanks to whoever recommended it, it was one of the few King books I had never even heard of.

Fjordson

I would rate Wool above Hunger Games. Somewhere between Hunger Games and The Road on the recent-post-apocalyptic-books scale.

Edit: Has anyone read Leviathan Wakes?

Edit Edit: Actually you don't have to answer that because I just did a forum search and every what are you reading thread since 2011 talks about it :)
I know you already saw some discussion on it from before, but I read Leviathan Wakes. Enjoyed it quite a bit. Hoping to read Caliban's War soon if I can get to it.

Finished Skeletons on the Zahara. Very enjoyable book. I had no knowledge of it beforehand - as a matter of fact my sister in law just dumped it off at my house thinking it belonged to me but not knowing where it came from. So I just started reading it on a lark and was completely hooked. It's the true story of Captain Riley and his merchant vessel Commerce crashing off the coast of the Sahara and subsequently being captured by nomadic Arabs and being brutalized and passed off throughout Africa. I highly recommend it. Entertaining, informative, and fascinating. Also, according to the author, Riley's narrative that the book is based on was read by Lincoln as a boy and is credited with instilling his belief that slavery is a horribly institution and should be abolished.

Now in honor of football season starting up in a few days I'm reading The Glory Game:

The Glory Game by Hunter Davies

New job and the Steam Sale have put a dent in my reading routine lately, lol. Got a few still going at once right now.

Nick Harkaway: The Gone-Away World
Tim Powers: The Anubis Gates
Neil Gaiman: American Gods (10th Anniversary Whatever version)

Before They Are Hanged by Joe Abercromie

I like it more than The Blade Itself. Glokta is still my favorite character, but his internal dialogue gets quite repetitive at times. And i got no clue where this story with Bayaz and his merry band of adventurers is going.

Abercrombie is my favorite author at the moment. Absolutely fabulous. I love the gritty action, the dark humor.

Red Country hits in October. Day 1 for me. I've got my brother hooked on him too and he'll expect me to have it finished when he visits at Christmas.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
New job and the Steam Sale have put a dent in my reading routine lately, lol. Got a few still going at once right now.

Nick Harkaway: The Gone-Away World
Tim Powers: The Anubis Gates
Neil Gaiman: American Gods
(10th Anniversary Whatever version)

Two of my all-time favourite books. Great choices.

Zeth

Just finished Altered Carbon by Richard K Morgan and loved it. Starting the next book in the series now. Also need to finish Franzen's Freedom and get back to Game of Thrones to get caught up for next season.

Protome

details_a-study-in-scarlet_090839463.jpg

In my Sherlock Holmes binge I have read a random selection of the short stories (all fantastic) and this...
I get that A Study in Scarlet was Doyle's first Holmes novel but. It's really not very good. The pacing is completely fucked and it feels like two different books mildly connected to each other. I'm hoping the second novel is better.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Finished
9014.jpg

Don't remember who recommended this, but it was amazing. Pretty much read it straight through. King is a master when he is on and I think he must've written this when he was in his prime. From beginning to end I was on the road with these boys, experiencing their long walk in hell.

Thanks to whoever recommended it, it was one of the few King books I had never even heard of.

Dunno if I'm who you mean but I did recommend it in this thread. Either way I'm glad you enjoyed it. Like I said before it's probably my favorite King book.

I finished:

url

Reading:

url

and

369px-Wool_1.jpg

EDIT: And as quick as that, I finished WOOL. Moving on to WOOL 2.

Taborcarn

I just finished reading The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson. It was a very quick read, and I ended up enjoying it more than I expected I would. It makes you think about every jerk you've ever met and wonder if they really were a psychopath hidden among us.

9378733.jpg

I just finished reading The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson. It was a very quick read, and I ended up enjoying it more than I expected I would. It makes you think about every jerk you've ever met and wonder if they really were a psychopath hidden among us.

If they're a jerk then they're probably not a psychopath. According to Ronson, a psychopath is probably someone you wouldn't expect to be because they're so charismatic and charming and you just darn like the guy.

mike23

Finished

ibbtbRTUIHO8RZ.png

It was pretty good. There was one thing that annoyed me (minor spoiler)
Elof only knew Kara for an hour and 10 minutes at most over the entire book, yet they were completely in love and he was willing to die for her.

Anustart

Anyone read Under the Dome by King? I got it two years ago and I've only made it 100 pages in. I'm looking to actively begin reading again, and can't decide if I should finish Under the Dome, or read Steve Jobs' biography...

Taborcarn

If they're a jerk then they're probably not a psychopath. According to Ronson, a psychopath is probably someone you wouldn't expect to be because they're so charismatic and charming and you just darn like the guy.

I was thinking more along the lines of not feeling empathy, inflated sense of self-worth, and not taking responsibility for their actions. This would make them jerks and still score high on the test.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Finished
14891.jpg

Re-reading this felt like experiencing it for the first time all-over again. (a very good thing indeed). Still my favorite book of all-time, even though I don't really like the last part of the book as much as the rest.
even if that ending is completely earned within the context of the story

Now Reading

13033022.jpg

Borrowed this with a couple of other books from the library a week or two ago. And inspired by the recent "supernatural experiences" thread. I decided to give it a go this morning, only read the first chapter so far, and it's pretty intriguing. Although I've been hearing some pretty mixed things about the arguments presented herein by the author, but the subject is fascinating enough on a personal level for me so whatever!

Just finished Shadow of the torturer by Gene Wolf and I don't know how to feel about it. There were times where I was truly loving it, but about 60% of the time I either didn't know where the author was going with the story or was semi bored. It felt so inconsistent. And now the questions is, should I continue the series? Does it get a bit more...consistent and more adventurous and more in depth character development? I really enjoyed
His time with Thecla, and his dog, the glass tower with all of the gardens and when he found Dorca, moments with Agia and her plot.
but there were moments when I almost wanted to fall asleep.....ugh! I don't know what to do!!! lol

stravinsky

Neo Member
Finished this last night:

3367400.jpg

Such a masterpiece. Every character is perfectly developed. Had trouble with some of the Spanish that's scattered throughout but nothing that impeded any understanding.

thomaser

Just managed to finish DeLillo's Underworld 15 minutes before sliding into August. Loved it, and found it much more readable than other similar gigantic doorstoppers (f.ex. Against the Day by Pynchon and Infinite Jest by Wallace). There was a lot I didn't understand, though, since I rushed through it a little too fast and didn't pay much attention to the chronological jumps. The first chapter is the best bit, but even if the rest of the book doesn't quite reach up to the same level of wordsmithery again, most of it is really compelling. Recommended to all fans of big, complex books!

Will start off August with Sindbad And Other Stories from the Arabian Nights, translated and edited by Husain Haddawy. It contains most of the popular stories that were not part of the original Arabian Nights, but which were added later. Stories like Sindbad, Aladdin, Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, and so on.

Mifune

Mehmber
131526.jpg

Anyone read Mark Leyner before? I think some of you DFW/Pynchon fans would really get a kick out of his stuff. Et Tu, Babe is a ridiculously absurd chronicle of the life of Mark Leyner, if Mark Leyner was a billionaire superstar author who was lusted after by supermodels. It's wish fulfillment taken to a whole new, hilariously awesome level.

And 2012 is the year when I finally conquer The Brothers Karamazov. That's next.

Mudita

Neo Member
I just want to say that this thread has caused me to spend way too much money in the kindle store. It is just too darn easy to see something interesting here, read a few reviews in the kindle store, and then download it instantly. I don't even have to re-input my credit card info since the first time, so now if I get that impulse "oh I could be reading this awesome book RIGHT NOW", bam it's done and the money is spent. It's been great but my bank account hurts :/

I just want to say that this thread has caused me to spend way too much money in the kindle store. It is just too darn easy to see something interesting here, read a few reviews in the kindle store, and then download it instantly. I don't even have to re-input my credit card info since the first time, so now if I get that impulse "oh I could be reading this awesome book RIGHT NOW", bam it's done and the money is spent. It's been great but my bank account hurts :/

Library bro. If you work then you are paying taxes for it so you might as well take advantage of it. But I understand the convenience of hit "Buy now" and instant read.
3AQmK.gif

Dresden

Finished the Monarchies of God series by Paul Kearney--five somewhat slim novels, wherein a war is fought and a voyage is made. Enjoyed it a lot, as it tickled a certain historical fetish of mine (1600's, east vs. west, Ottomans storming Venice, fox, no items, final destination) and for the most part was a rousing read.

Unfortunately it's marred by an insistence on introducing certain elements into the narrative that it really did not need--thanks to this, the story just bogs down at times, as the focus shifts from Corfe's tale to that of Hawkwood and his journey. Thankfully even Kearney seems to realize this and Hawkwood, in the end, is gently shuffled off to the side, but it's still jarring when the story takes a break from the exceedingly, gloriously bloody war on Corfe's side to that of the others.

Enjoyed it, though. Pretty darn good.

Fjordson

Oh, I'm the same way. Even though my backlog is starting to get out of control, I can't help but continuously check this thread. And I love using my Kindle, but the only problem is what you mentioned. One click purchasing with my credit info saved, instant downloads straight to my Kindle :lol

Angst

Anyone read Under the Dome by King? I got it two years ago and I've only made it 100 pages in. I'm looking to actively begin reading again, and can't decide if I should finish Under the Dome, or read Steve Jobs' biography...
Finish it, it's one of the best recent novels from King.
Yes, I loved it. I don't even care about the supernatural element. I just like the way Stephen King creates a town and its inhabitants and their interactions.
Totally agree. One of his greatest strengths IMO.

KuroNeeko

All right. Let's do this. Let's make this happen.

The Shadow of the Torturer by Gene Wolfe

This is totally happening. Totally. Right now.

Ahhhhhhh man, way late to this party but seeing this book just made me jump up and down on the inside.

If it's your first time reading the series, you're in for a wild ride.

41cqe00ZzsL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

even though I haven't really had any writing ambitions since high school. It just seemed like an interesting read, and it was. The biography half really shows how much hard work it takes to become successful at pretty much anything, and I feel like the instructional half will, if nothing else, make it easier for me to identify bad/lazy writing.

Yeah, it's a good read. A lot of what he says applies to all the creative arts. The bit about learning how to "kill your children" rings especially true.

Bazza

Not been reading much the last few months, been catching up on my TV programs.

Started reading Against a dark background by Iain M. Banks, thought i would read one of his standalone books before starting the culture series of books.

Top Bottom