• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 2010)

shas'la

91b34n.jpg

It's good, but makes me wish Neverwhere was as long as this.

Beowulf28 said:
Just started this and I'm hoping it starts to get interesting soon.

the_gunslinger.jpg
That book starts with one of the most awesome sentences ever.

I just finished House of Leaves, and i'm not really sure what to think of it. I found it an entertaining read, but I had expected more from it. It was never really creepy or unsettling for me, although i'm not sure if the book ever intended for it to be that. I liked the dissertation style of presenting the story though, but i missed why the hell the book decided to have such weird layout at times. I did appreciate, towards the end, the layout taking the form of how the house looked, that was well done. Ah well, maybe i'm just not smart enough to understand what's so special about the book. :lol

Going to read some lighter material now:

wj8f8p.jpg

I really liked the game, so looking forward to read the book it's based on.

Arment

Beowulf28 said:
Just started this and I'm hoping it starts to get interesting soon.

the_gunslinger.jpg

It gets very interesting. I'm on Book 5 now, Wolves of the Calla. Starts out slow but like all of the Dark Tower books I'm sure I'll be loathe to set it down once it gets going.

516ZAHNHRHL_SS500_.jpg

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
41QWQ1yjWqL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

In Search of Time: The Science of a Curious Dimension

Pretty good and easy read thus far, actually discusses time from culturally, anthropologically, historically, and scientifically.

bigcheese

lgiver.gif

Great so far. It's short, so I'll probably finish it tomorrow. I certainly would have loved it if I had to read it for school when I was younger--hard to believe I've never read it.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I just started A Clash of Kings again. It's probably the fourth or fifth time I've read it. After that I'll probably read The Name of the Wind again.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I'm about to finish A Confederacy of Dunces. I'm gonna move on to one of the books that's been sitting on my shelf for a while. I'm thinking Oliver Twist... I've never read it, or any Dickens for that matter.

Just finished:

6a00c2251e620a549d00d41441deb26a47-500pi

And wept like a little bitch.

DoornicK said:
Tomorrow I'll start:

book-cover-pillars-of-the-earth.jpg

You'll love it. One of my favorites.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Starz is making a TV show about The Pillars of the Earth if you didnt know. Has Ian McShane in it.

Starz?..Ah man really? Well that sucks.

bigcheese said:
lgiver.gif

Great so far. It's short, so I'll probably finish it tomorrow. I certainly would have loved it if I had to read it for school when I was younger--hard to believe I've never read it.

I read this with the class when i was in middle school, and have re-read it recently. It really is pretty great. A fun look into a radically different society. My first real exposure to the idea i suppose

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Finished Diamond Dogs, Turguoise Days by Alastair Reynolds. The second of the two stories was more interesting, though both were a bit lacking.

Back home now so I'm catching up on my backlog of comics trades. Just finished The Walking Dead: Vol. 9, probably run through 10 and 11 next.

Reading The Girl Who Played with Fire right now, hoping to finish before the third one comes out.

Is the sequel to Pillars of the Earth any good??

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
BruceLeeRoy said:
That really didn't fill me with confidence :(

I only watched a couple episodes of Spartacus but I thought it was pretty terrible has it gotten better?

Yeah about 4 or 5 eps in the show really hit its stride and turned incredible.

Karakand

Last month someone asked if reading Stand on Zanzibar is worth it and it is if you don't read much that isn't ashamed that its a book, which is to say works that experiment with form. The problem with that though is that you probably have since that category runs the gamut from something like Dracula all the way up to A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Loss of Steam. If you have, then no it's not really worth it unless you want to reinforce your tinfoil hat Malthusianism or something.

BigAT

i50tco.jpg

Not Palahniuk's best work, but the individual short stories are all enjoyable in their own way. It contains the now infamous "Guts" short story.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
under-heaven-by-guy-gavriel-kay1-494x749.jpg

About halfway through Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay. I've always considered myself a fan of Kay's, but I wasn't prepared by how fantastic it would be.

Also, thanks for including a link to my blog in the OP! :D

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
abercrombie_before_they_are_hanged.jpg

I'm about 400 pages in at the moment. This series is really quite amazing. The first book, The Blade Itself, was excellent and it only gets better in this book.

DesertEater said:
image-5F42_4BDDC402.jpg

In the last chapter. A prefect combination of great characters, great mood,
and an awesome story:D .

Check out another book by Murakami, "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running". It's a great look into the his mindset and a quasi-autobiography. As a runner myself I enjoyed his anecdotes about training for marathons and triathlons. Murakami's views on the different places he seems to spend his time (Japan, Hawaii, Boston) are interesting as well.

Sappy113

moojito said:
the-blade-itself.jpg
Just started it. After just finishing the name of the wind, this book has a tough act to follow!

I know what you're saying. Read them in that same order. Had a hard time thinking TFL could match up to Name of the Wind, which I loved. In my opinion TFL not only stood up to it, it quite comfortably eclipsed Name of the Wind. So, so good.

giri

giri said:
Currently reading this too. It's................ eye opening. I'm only about 60 pages in and it centres aroudn the life of one or 2 familys so far and the short history i've gotten. It paints an unfavorably portrait of communist life in North Korea for sure. It might not be the most descriptive retelling you read, but the pace of the book so far is good, Demick keeps the stories going to the point that it seems a very light read, whilst it is a very solid retelling.

I'd reccomend it if you were interested in the topic matter at all, but as i said, i'm only 60 pages in. It might get worse/better as i go.

It was how ever, completely sold out at my local borders, had to go to 2 other book stores, so it's proving popular.

I'll expand on this now that i'm over half way through, people seemed interested in the Book ( Nothing to Envy, Barbarra Demick).

Demick was the Korean Correspondant for an american newspaper for decades (LA Times i think) based out of South Korea, and towards the end of her days started interviewing defectors from North Korea. The book re-tells those peoples stories as she pastes them together to try to give as much of an understanding of daily life in NK, and in a communist country, as is possible for a country that doesn't let outsiders in to visit at all. It does tend to lean towards the negative view of NK and communism, but it's not overly blatant in your face criticism, just a majority of the stories lean that way.

It's certainly no biography, but it is an extremely interesting read none the less. I found my self reading it every spare moment i had on the weekend.

51poa-6PqCL.jpg

Crescent by Phil Rossi

Just picked this one up, it's a book version of a podcast novel from a little while back (if you want to listen to the podcast instead of picking up the physical book, it's still free, www.crescentstation.com is the site, I think). Very creepy. It's in the same vein as Event Horizon or Dead Space, which is why I was immediately intrigued. I'm about 60-70 pages into it.

Book description:

Darkness has inspired fear since mankind first watched the sun go down. Bad things hide in the dark feral beasts with mouths full of razors waiting for a taste of flesh. But now, the darkness is stirring with a life of its own. Crescent Station is the last bastion of civilization, floating in the cold, outer systems where colonized space gives way to the sparser settlements of the Frontier. Like the boom towns of distant Earth s Old American West, Crescent Station is a gateway to power, wealth, and opportunity for anyone who isn't afraid to get his or her hands dirty. But deep within the station s bowels, in Crescent s darkest and most secret places, an ancient evil is awakening and hungry, and it threatens the very fabric of space and time. Will the residents of Crescent Station find a way to stop it before the terror drives them insane? Or is it already too late?

name-of-the-wind.jpg

I'm having a tough time with it, it's just not keeping me interested for some reason. I bought it though so I'll persevere.

eznark

Banned
Karakand said:
good man i was afraid books on tape were becoming a trend (it happened last month)
That's how I experienced the first 6 or so books of the Discworld series. I thought it was incredibly enjoyable.

Then I tried to listen to Anathem...holy shit that was impossible.

Lagspike_exe said:
No, I'm reading it. This was just a random image I picked up at Google. :lol

What translation? The Pevear and Volokhonsky seems to be the best one now. I started reading the Constance Garnett one, and although I enjoyed it, it stopped at one point. Really want to get back into it.

Karakand said:
good man i was afraid books on tape were becoming a trend (it happened last month)

Huh? Books on tape can be some of the greatest things, especially when on long car rides.

Jarlaxle

Aklamarth said:
f395828fd7a001f1d6dc5110.L._AA300_.jpg

Hope it's (much) better than the last trilogy.

I wouldn't expect much. The first two books aren't very good but the last one is pretty decent. I'm interested to see where he goes from here. I would recommend reading the Demon Wars series if you're a fan of Salvatore.

Karakand said:

Jesus Christ, no. :lol

VistraNorrez said:
What translation? The Pevear and Volokhonsky seems to be the best one now. I started reading the Constance Garnett one, and although I enjoyed it, it stopped at one point. Really want to get back into it.

I don't have an English version of the book, my native language is Serbian. :p

Finishing tonight:

41p4zHIloCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I am taking a Children's Lit course over the summer which focuses on Harry Potter, so I have to read all seven books and the short novel in six weeks. Getting a start on them now. I forgot how good Rowling is at crafting a story, even if her writing in this one is a bit flawed in certain parts. Such a fun, whimsical story, though. Next up: Book 2.

Karakand

eznark said:
That's how I experienced the first 6 or so books of the Discworld series. I thought it was incredibly enjoyable.

Then I tried to listen to Anathem...holy shit that was impossible.
VistraNorrez said:
Huh? Books on tape can be some of the greatest things, especially when on long car rides.
this is a what are you *reading* thread hence my issue with posting audio books that you are *listening* to

Top Bottom