• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your expectations for Horizon Zero Dawn?

Elandyll

Banned
Basically an amazing looking combat/ action oriented A-W-RPG with also a lot of open world exploration with some light puzzle/ platforming and intriguing cave/ dungeons ...

and

a METRIC F*ING TON OF ROBO DINOs I can hunt, hack and even ride!

A decent main story and side quests could be the cherry on top, given Gonzalez and the CDPR guy I am cautiously optimistic on that side.

It bummed me out when people who have played it started saying it was pretty similar to Far Cry.

So a Far Cry made by Guerilla Games :/

Any game made by Guerilla Games :/

I really hope it turns out neat.

mp1990

Banned
one of the major turn offs about this game for me is that you actually fight humans, and hm, no? it makes me really uncomfortable and it would be so much better if they just attempted something more MH-like

it's really weird bc the announcement at E3 2015 caught me completely off guard and genuinely l got me excited, and then as they show more of the game it kinda lost me at some point

I'm not sure. I'm trying to stay away from anything too revealing but from what I have seen I'll either love it to bits or get bored of it and move on quickly. Just depends if the and story and open worldness are good.

pretty good action wrpg. better combat than witcher 3, worse side quests. same level of main narrative. i'll enjoy it a lot i would say. but it won't be the best game ever.

Spyware

I'm expecting something FarCry-ish with a better protag and with a slight MonHun touch. Or... I guess that's more what I'm sorta hoping for. Not really actually expecting anything. Games are best that way.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I think it's structurally similar enough to other open world games for it to have mainstream appeal, while it's combat will hopefully have hardcore appeal.

We'll have to wait and see on the story.

Beautiful, of course. Gifs will sell this game.

Lucreto

Can't wait to play it.

It looks amazing, the combat looks fun and after the trailer's the story looks intetesting

yayaba

Not good enough to get $60 from me. I'll wait for the first sale and bite at $40. And this is coming from someone who just bought a KS8000 to go with my Pro for maximum fidelity.

LotusHD

Banned
Low expectations in terms of story and sidequests. The graphics and combat should however be good enough to review well, and convince me to eventually get it on sale.
Or the eventual PS4 Pro Bundle
It will be neither bad nor great. Just good.

This thread is a trap

Kthulhu

I expect it to be a good game, but probably not as good as most people expect.

All of the footage I've seen and impressions I've read look and sound like what I've seen used to describe a Ubisoft stlye open world game. If that changes and the game reviews well then I might end up buying it.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Cautiously optimistic.

Killzone was an ambitious but flawed game.

Killzone 2 was one of the greatest games of all time.

Killzone 3 was a disappointing follow-up, but still a great game.

Shadowfall was another ambitious but flawed game. But better than KZ1.

KZ Mercenary was the best handheld shooter ever, and a great shooter in general.

I don't think Horizon will be as good as say, The Wild Hunt, but I do think it will be a valiant first effort at an Open World Action RPG by GG and one that will deserve a follow up.

A solid 7/8. Concern around the gameplay loop being either repetitive or the story being lacklustre. Can see it go to a 9 if these concerns are proven false.

Moose84

I'm expecting a beautiful game with some lovely cutscenes, a decent story but a very very shallow experience overall. A typical example of developers making a nice world and then having to "find the fun" towards the end of development.

heringer

I expect a 85 metacritic.

As for me, I expect a solid, maybe even great game dragged down by Ubisoft's open world design school.

pswii60

I was cautiously looking forward to it, but the recent FarCry and Ubisoft comparisons have turned me right off. I just get bored so quickly in games like that, after ogling at the scenery for a short while.

NahaNago

My realistic expectations for the game is to be stunned by how pretty it looks and then get bored by it pretty quickly and then force myself to try and finish it. The gameplay just doesn't do anything for me but i still have it preordered. I hope the music is memorable.

RexNovis

Banned
I'm expecting it to be a very paint by the numbers affair when it comes to open world game design incorporating a lot of genre tropes but with a much better combat system than is traditionally present in the genre. I'm also expecting some really really rough writing on sub quests but mostly mediocre to good writing for main story missions. As a result, despite being reminiscent of one of my favorite works of short fiction, I've lost all the excitement I had for the project after it became clear they were following the standard open world forums a and not upending the toolbox so to speak.

Espada

To me, I'm expecting a largely average open world with your standard features (collectibles, fetch quests, etc...) with above average combat and awesome robot animals.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I' m going to use this gif to describe why I'm personally excited for the game and why I kind of hate the "it looks like every other open world game" as it undersells a lot of the little details that separate, in my mind, this game from a lot of the open world games out there.

5pX95Gr.gif

To begin with the the Thunderjaw itself is amazing creation not just because of all the moving parts, the slick art style and the cool idea. Look at how it actually bumps into the tree at first and reacts like a creature would to this. In most games, especially open world games this isn't even a consideration. Most NPC's will just walk into and around something or worse get stuck. The Thunderjaw hits the tree's, recoils and shifts its body before ramming it and properly toppling it. Not only that but many of the objects in the environment are destructible and interactive from the tree's to buildings and so forth.

The little visual cues given off by the Thunderjaw as to what its going to do. Right before the Thunderjaw charges through the tree toppling it over its eyes do a distinct large red lens flare "flash" to signal its about to start charging, as well as its entire body language showing its tensing for the charge. Just a lot of cues as to when the Thunderjaw is going to attack on top of audio cues as well. This is the kind of stuff not enough developers focus when doing combat, the tell's are as important as the reactions of your character to them. No Death Claw in Fall Out was nearly this interesting to fight, intimidating to cross paths with, and open to be taken down in so many ways.

This is one gif and its so full of interesting little details and combined with the already slick looking combat, the tight controls, smart gameplay ideas like generating a quest for a rare crafting material instead of hunting for a rare loot drop. I think the fact that GG isn't a well known open world game creator is quite possibly the games biggest strength as their fresh outlook and skills in action gameplay might be the best thing to happen to open world games in a long time. Now in all the RPG elements, the platforming, the dungeons, the crafting and all the other gameplay systems that seem to interact in a ton of different ways and you could have something truly special even if some of the cut scene animation isn't up to Naughty Dogs level or anything like that.

Tagyhag

Well I looked at the previews and the fact that Guerrilla Games is making this. Even with their new hires I expect the story and the characters to be shit, and the side quests to be boring story wise.

However, I expect the game to fun, gorgeous to look at, and have cool setpieces.

silva1991

A fun action game(combat and battles). beautiful world to explore and interesting story regardless of the writing and acting.
Also new cool robo dinos
I hope the dungeons are interesting as well.

Jay Sosa

not much tbh.

games with so much hype almost always disappoint.

Especially when it comes from the people who were supposed to give us the 'Halo killer'. Man come to think of it both franchises are pretty much dead now.

ts Guerrilla. They've made flashy games and exciting games but never really a fun game - we'll see.

Exciting is certainly not among the adjectives I would use to describe any of the Killzone games.

Probably a good game but no masterpiece or classic.
I expect scores in the mid- or high 80s

This is basically how I feel, and I'm thinking its overall Metacritic score will be from 80 to 82.

The gameplay footage shows that it will be fun, but Guerilla will need to nail the story for Horizon to be considered a masterpiece. Killzone didn't need a great story to be critically acclaimed, but Horizon's story is being highly emphasized by the studio.

With the crazy expectations that some people here have, they'll probably even be disappointed. The game definitely won't bomb though, and the sequel will likely see leaps equivalent to Uncharted 2 or Guerilla's own Killzone 2.

LotusHD

Banned
I really don't see that at all.

It'll die down when people realize how different the games actually are and what they are trying to achieve.

The footage from both should've already done that imo, yet here we are. People gonna focus on the superficial similarities I'm afraid.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
not much tbh.

games with so much hype almost always disappoint.

Especially when it comes from the people who were supposed to give us the 'Halo killer'. Man come to think of it both franchises are pretty much dead now.

Exciting is certainly not among the adjectives I would use to describe any of the Killzone games.

Just want to say that Guerilla and Sony never claimed the Killzone series was going to be a Halo killer. That was the media outlets running wild with that claim after one of them made it.

Also we've had tons of hyped games come out that were great and tons that weren't. What an odd thing to say.

New standard for open world RPG combat (okay, besides Dragon's Dogma) and some of the best art direction and visual fidelity of any game out there. I think the collectibles and quests have way more world building and lore attached to them than the stuff you find in Ubi's games and if that Guardian story about how progressive these are is any indication, it will do a pretty good job at it too.

I'm not saying it will be in the Bloodborne league of masterpieces, but it will be good and a commercial success.

Also, those gifs are bloody amazing. Love the one with the rusty tanks.

Top Bottom