• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your expectations for Horizon Zero Dawn?

I know this isn't an uncommon sentiment on this board, but this game seriously gives me 'I'm gonna be a huge disappointment' vibes. That story trailer they put out a week or so ago pretty much confirmed that Guerilla Games still doesn't exactly have A-grade writers. I also suspect the game's gonna get marred by people who are seriously getting sick of open-world games, especially if it resembles Ubisoft's games.

The previews have been extremely positive so I don't think reviews are going to harsh.

kyser73

I'm expecting a well-honed ARPG-lite that doesn't overturn any genre design or storytelling conventions, but has a strong emphasis on moment-to-moment gameplay.

I'm also expecting comparisons with Souls when it comes to dealing with the larger robos. Everything I've seen in the confrontations with Snapjaws, Thunderjaw & other megarobofauna suggests a real need for tactical planning & skill on the part of the player.

I'm also expecting some nice emergent gameplay potential too, again judging from the footage.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Running around, climbing and platforming

eAVByNK.gif

AbsoluteMerryAfricanwildcat.gif

KooopaKid

Banned
The fights will become repetitive and overlong. Hope I'm wrong on that aspect.
The dialogs and story will be typical videogame fare and boring, this is guaranteed however.

Shock32

Amazing graphics, amazing control/gameplay, an open world to get lost in. I cant wait to see it with my own two eyes on the pro. *hype intensifies*

Edit: im expecting reviews to fall in the 8/9 range, metacrtic 86. GG nails the first adventure into the open world and Aloy becomes a new mascot for Ps.

HStallion

I don't man, I already find her to be unbearably annoying. I'm expecting Rico levels of bad.

I'd been fairly impressed if they could make another character as hated as Rico. Like I'd give them a round of applause for being able to outdo themselves on that.

Belakor

Banned
Hoping it not to be a generic open world RPG ala Ubisoft

Not to be too formulaic and not to have hundreds of useless side activities

The previews have been extremely positive so I don't think reviews are going to harsh.

Even if the game outright sucks I doubt the critics' reviews are going to be harsh. A game with this budget and hype is pretty much guaranteed an 80+ right off the bat. I was referring more to the enthusiast boards like GAF that simulateously complain about how same-y and empty open-world games are nowadays while also making sure to buy every single new one instead of, I don't know, taking a break.

mp1990

Banned
I'm not sure I see the merit in comparing this to KZ in terms of a predictor of quality. This a completely different type of game from KZ in every way and Guerilla hired a bunch of new people to account for that.

I'm expecting a great game, but I'm also dreading having to split time between it and Zelda.

the concerns about the gameplay are legitimate imo because guerrilla has yet to make a game that isn't a drag to play. KZ has some of the worst controls in FPSs i've seen, and this is from someone who played the genre in consoles for a long time. obviously it's a different genre so it's fine to give them the benefit of a doubt but i'd rather stay hesitant for the time being

runner up for GOTY IMO...I think behind the RPG world is really a shooter, and it's going to be one of the most fun open world games because of that.

Not really what I'm getting at.

I'm getting at the fact it will likely fall to "collect-o-thons" as opposed to meaty side quests.

There are caves with secrets and cauldrons which are big dungeons that house difficult battles, puzzle solving, and platforming.

I know this isn't an uncommon sentiment on this board, but this game seriously gives me 'I'm gonna be a huge disappointment' vibes. That story trailer they put out a week or so ago pretty much confirmed that Guerilla Games still doesn't exactly have A-grade writers. I also suspect the game's gonna get marred by people who are seriously getting sick of open-world games, especially if it resembles Ubisoft's games.

They have writers who worked on New Vegas and The Witcher 3, which is as grade A as it comes in AAA games. The story actually got quite a bit of praise from the likes of Eurogamer and The Guardian, based on a 4 hour play session.

Some really small spoilers from the start of the game:
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...he-feminist-action-game-weve-been-waiting-for

I think its world building is gonna surprise quite a few people.

the concerns about the gameplay are legitimate imo because guerrilla has yet to make a game that isn't a drag to play. KZ has some of the worst controls in FPSs i've seen, and this is from someone who played the genre in consoles for a long time. obviously it's a different genre so it's fine to give them the benefit of a doubt but i'd rather stay hesitant for the time being

Lots of people had hands-on time with it. Game controls beautifully and combat is fun and varied.

HStallion

I take its world building is gonna surprise quite a few people.

The dungeon they found sounded like the automated battlefield building base level from Titanfall 2 but with puzzles and the way they did the story building in it was really cool.

They have writers who worked on New Vegas and The Witcher 3, which is as grade A as it comes in AAA games. The story actually got quite a bit of praise from the likes of Eurogamer and The Guardian, based on a 4 hour play session.

Some really small spoilers from the start of the game:
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...he-feminist-action-game-weve-been-waiting-for

I take its world building is gonna surprise quite a few people.

I mean, I hope I'm wrong, but that story trailer seriously did not impress me at all.

MrBS

I'm expecting an ubisoft like open world game that I will have fun running around collecting icons.

An extremely solid game that will be a blast to play. I think it will settle around the mid 80's in the review department, but I believe I will enjoy the heck out of it.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm expecting it to be a tomb raider game that has the open world-ish structure of far cry.

Some weak side quests and lore peppered throughout.

I'm expecting it to be an above average game.

They got Witcher 3 and Fallout New Vegas writers/quest designers to work on this. I'm a bit more optimistic

I have no idea where these Far Cry comments are coming from...did we play a different farcry series?
"Towers", RPG elements, and Primal are where I imagine the comparisons come from

-Metascore of 83
-Looks great
-Gameplay is nothing special but solid. Kind of repetitive though.
-story taking itself too serious with a cliffhanger ending
-Mediocre writing, dialogue and voice acting
I think previews has already proven this wrong though.

Everyone who plays it is gushing about the gameplay. I agree with every single prediction ironically, I just think your selling the gameplay very very short. It really looks special, challenging, fun, and deep. Probably some of the hardest optional bosses will have some gamers crying lol.

I want it to be great - it looks fantastic but I'm not convinced that Guerilla know how to make a great looking game that plays fantastic.

notacat

Looks fun, plus it's a whole new engine instead of Unreal for once.

Plus I can dress like Hideo Kojima and pretend i'm critiquing the engine for my use for Death Stranding.

Since Kojima is using this new engine for his game, Death Stranding too apparently.

gamerMan

It's unfortunate that this game's story is going to be compared to Uncharted. The Uncharted games have been better games because of their story. From what I have seen, the story looks a bit generic.

The animation in the game reminds me of the Witcher 3, which is to say it is very wooden and stiff. The acting in it reminds me of Shenmue at times. It's sort of what you expect from video games before the Naughty Dog games came along. I hope that people are able to look past the story.

The actual game play looks interesting. From what I have seen the combat looks interesting and I am interested in how destructible the environments are and how many enemy types there are.

Top Bottom