• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your expectations for Horizon Zero Dawn?

juventino

Banned
Metacritic - 94
Great Story and deep characters
Great graphics
Fantastic Open World
Great voice acting on main story and less great on secondary etc.

I highly, highly doubt that. Mid 80's Metascore and absolutely nothing I've seen so far screams great story or deep characters. Hope I'm wrong, but doesn't look like it

Speely

Banned
I am expecting it to become a contender for the modern open-world AAA crown, or at least a popular contender for GOTY 2017.

I don't think it will feel revolutionary, but I think that its creative approaches to familiar AAA open world and ARPG elements will hopefully combine to make a superb and jaw-droppingly gorgeous game that distances itself from its peers by a bit more than just the setting, theme, and presentation. Lots of potential for really fucking cool gameplay, which interests me most.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Looks good. Outside of the unique setting I don't expect anything truly groundbreaking. That's not bad, FarCry-Alikes aren't overdone. It looks like it's just right. Personally I'm probably gonna play a dozen hours of it and watch my girlfriend play the rest. Looks neat. Could be huge.

reKon

Banned
Games that feature a bow as the main weapon are the fucking shit (the game I most recently played like this was Tomb Raider 2013 - didn't even need a gun!).

In terms of metacritic, it's not scoring below 80 - NOPE. In terms of placing bets, this is tough one, but I'm going to have to say 85-86. For it to hit 90, it will have to have a strong story and kind of not be too repetitive in certain areas.

GAF was telling me the LP3 writer on board = good story though...

My expectations are modest. I have no doubt it'll look glorious: not only have pretty much all of the Guerrilla Games offerings had outstanding graphics, but the PS4 Pro looped footage I saw running on a 4K display was stunning. I think the story will be pretty damn good too, because I've really enjoyed the story in all of GG's games.

My concern is how it plays and controls, because every single GG game I've played has disappointed me on that front. For that reason I'll probably wait a while before picking it up. After Killzone 2 this is a game where I probably won't go off GAF impressions either, but just wait for feedback from the big gaming sites and my friends.

kyser73

Games that feature a bow as the main weapon are the fucking shit (the game I most recently played like this was Tomb Raider 2013 - didn't even need a gun!).

In terms of metacritic, it's not scoring below 80 - NOPE. In terms of placing bets, this is tough one, but I'm going to have to say 85-86. For it to hit 90, it will have to have a strong story and kind of not be too repetitive in certain areas.

GAF was telling me the LP3 writer on board = good story though...

Yeah, there's something just more satisfying about sticking an arrow in a headshot than a bullet. Did the same thing with TR:DE too )

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
[
5q16NTd.gif

I love this shot. It makes me wish for a AAA Stephen King's The Mist open world game.

mujun

baffling? I find it pathetic. You enjoy to see people's disappoints and expectations not met.

GTFO with that and add some joy to your life.

Except that the above goes hand in hand with hyperbole and people deaf to even reasonable doubts.

Both are as bad as each other if you ask me.

Personally, despite the hype around the game, I expect it to be a Far Cry style game done reasonably well with a unique setting.

I'm looking forward to it. I love these type of games.

A game with solid combat mechanics, enjoyable enemy encounters with good creature animations.

Not sure if the story or universe will be that interesting but I'm in it for the fights mostly.

As one of only a literal handful of GAFfers that thoroughly enjoyed Killzone ShadowFall, I'm expecting to enjoy Horizon.

Not sure why those who generally disliked Geurilla's last few games would be confident though. Is it just because it's a PlayStation exclusive? In the end, it's going to be a Geurilla game. Surely your expectations should be based in what you generally think of their recent output?

What does it mean to be a "Guerrilla game"? Their games up to this point have all been extremely linear. So, just by the nature of being an open-world game it has to be very different from what they've done in the past. You really can't have an open-world and still have the same super linear and tightly scripted experience that they've made up to this point.

Probably like a 7/10. It will have its lovers, it haters and at the end of the day it won't move the gaming world and will get lost in the BOTW hype

Lifeline

Based on this thread... it looks like people are expecting this:

Most Horizon threads were pretty positive and then the Zelda v Horizon thread happened. Ever since then every horizon thread is filled with people saying it's going to be shit.

All the previews have been positive, they have the lead writer from Fallout New Vegas and sidequests writers from The Witcher, almost everything shown has been promising and people who have actually played it have enjoyed it.

I feel like people are still fighting the good fight from that thread and shitting on Horizon to defend Zelda.

VanWinkle

I'm expecting it to be mediocre and disappoint a lot of people. I've never been able to see anything special about it and I'm looking forward to the gaf meltdown when the game is below 80 on metacritic.

Yeah, it's really fun to get joy out of peoples' disappointment in something they're excited about.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
What does it mean to be a "Guerrilla game"? Their games up to this point have all been extremely linear. So, just by the nature of being an open-world game it has to be very different from what they've done in the past. You really can't have an open-world and still have the same super linear and tightly scripted experience that they've made up to this point.

I didn't think ShadowFall was all that linear at all. For a game not intended to be an open world shooter, I found it to be as minimally linear as it could be.

gfxtwin

- Impressive graphics
- Captivating open world
- Thrilling action/adventure gameplay
- Not-so-impressive story and dialogue

Smokey

My expectations are that it's a great looking game.

I remain skeptical of everything else, and I don't trust previews.

Most Horizon threads were pretty positive and then the Zelda v Horizon thread happened. Ever since then every horizon thread is filled with people saying it's going to be shit.

All the previews have been positive, they have the lead writer from Fallout New Vegas and sidequests writers from The Witcher, almost everything shown has been promising and people who have actually played it have enjoyed it.

I feel like people are still fighting the good fight from that thread and shitting on Horizon to defend Zelda.

Which is sad because people ask for new IPs then treat new IPs like this. Why should a developer reading this kind of thread take that risk? Threads like this are a reason why i don't blame some developers who stick to their established franchises. Judging from the footage I've seen and the previews, I expect a solid all around game that might not be better than Zelda but that's ok.

I didn't think ShadowFall was all that linear at all. For a game not intended to be an open world shooter, I found it to be as minimally linear as it could be.

Yeah Shadow Fall was pretty open, but nothing compared to this. I dunno watching the preview videos it definitely looks like a step above that game. The combat looks way more exciting, and everything from the characters to the story look more interesting. It being 3rd person is also a big difference, I don't see many similarities with their past games besides the great graphics.

Lifeline

Fixed.

I expect a thread on the first page on the first day of release with some "controversy". Faux outrage.

Even if it reviews well, I except there's gonna be thread about a shitty side mission (like the one in the preview with the crazy guy) which will have more pages than the games OT.

CronoShot

Cautiously optimistic.

For the most part, I've liked what I've seen so far. But I have disliked every Guerilla game I've played, so I'm in a "wait and see" mode.

AudioEppa

I have no expectations. I just hope it's decent for a redbox rental. Do not care about crafting or hunting. Hope the story and cutscenes a well developed.

kyser73

Probably like a 7/10. It will have its lovers, it haters and at the end of the day it won't move the gaming world and will get lost in the BOTW hype

Nah mate. It might on boards like this, but outside in the world this game will be played by more people than Zelda.

hydruxo

Judging by what I've seen in the preview videos/articles last week, it's going to be fantastic. I mean I was always excited for it but the gameplay looks like a lot of fun to me. I love the variety of different robo dinos. Can't wait.

Edited because I don't want to incite more Zelda vs Horizon nonsense.

This will be a very polished, visually breath taking game. Hopefully enemy designs and the setting elevate it to the top tier of video games. Will definitely be a great game, everything we've heard up to release points to it.

Violater

I expect a very polished presentation, predictable and forgettable storyline and gameplay mechanics that are going to get tiring due to the lack of variety.
I hope to be proven wrong.

balohna

I cancelled my pre-order. I'll buy it later maybe if it's really well received. Super crowded few months right now, decided to prioritize other games.

Gray Matter

I'm going in (mostly) blind.

Haven't seen any footage since PSX 2015 and I'm looking forward to it. My expectations aren't very high, not because I don't have faith in the game, but because I've burned myself before by having expectations way too high.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I worry that the game will lose a lot of steam in the second half. Considering that the main characters name is "Aloy", I assume that the writing and story is going to be pretty bad, especially if they make the ending sequel bait. It will probably be a 85-92 rated game: a lot of people are going to enjoy it, but many fans are going to find that it doesn't live up to their high expectations.

Smellycat

I worry that the game will lose a lot of steam in the second half. Considering that the main characters name is "Link", I assume that the writing and story is going to be pretty bad, especially if they make the ending sequel bait. It will probably be a 85-92 rated game: a lot of people are going to enjoy it, but many fans are going to find that it doesn't live up to their high expectations.

fixed :p

Top Bottom