• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your expectations for Horizon Zero Dawn?

LotusHD

Banned
I worry that the game will lose a lot of steam in the second half. Considering that the main characters name is "Aloy", I assume that the writing and story is going to be pretty bad, especially if they make the ending sequel bait. It will probably be a 85-92 rated game: a lot of people are going to enjoy it, but many fans are going to find that it doesn't live up to their high expectations.

I don't have much confidence in the game's story, but how does the protagonist's name being Aloy indicate it'll suck?

jjonez18

Solid open world game. I expect nothing new or innovative. Pretty much what we've seen from the preview gameplay but spanning 20 ish hours story.

What we've seen of the combat already proves you wrong.
Guess we've got different opinions and/or definitions.

Kurumi

I worry that the game will lose a lot of steam in the second half. Considering that the main characters name is "Aloy", I assume that the writing and story is going to be pretty bad, especially if they make the ending sequel bait. It will probably be a 85-92 rated game: a lot of people are going to enjoy it, but many fans are going to find that it doesn't live up to their high expectations.

What in the hell does the main character's name have to do with the writing and story being good or bad? Like what?....

farmerboy

I'm expecting a really good game with the most well realised open world to date. If there's enough to like I won't give a shit about some hokey dialogue or cutscenes.

What I'm really hoping for a one or two big secrets or reveals that really build on the lore. The moment to moment story is not as important to me. I just want to feel a sense of wonder and awe.

And whilst the game is open I hope the "cauldrons" have some big setpiece moments. Not everything has to be emergent.

Solid open world game. I expect nothing new or innovative. Pretty much what we've seen from the preview gameplay but spanning 20 ish hours story.

Guess we've got different opinions and/or definitions.

But we haven't even seen a single cauldron in any of the previews!

I think it'll be great. The story will probably be a bit messy, the writing a bit hit or miss but the world, combat, visuals, monster design and the rest look fantastic.

I think it'll rate very highly, possibly a 90+ on MC.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I don't have much confidence in the game's story, but how does the protagonist's name being Aloy indicate it'll suck?

What in the hell does the main character's name have to do with the writing and story being good or bad? Like what?....
It's obviously a play off the word "alloy", which is a type of metal. Unless the developers are purposely trying to make us think that she's a robot, then it's not a very well hidden twist.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Sony is on a roll with exclusives so far. It will probably be great.

Have they? I've liked a handful of them, but I wouldn't say they're on a roll. The order was a disaster. Driveclub was well liked around here and did well, but it had that disaster of a launch, and outside of gaf people were somewhat mixed. LBP3 reviewed really poorly and was generally considered the worst in the series. Knack nuf said. Killzone shadowfall was garbage most I've talked to agree with that and it's the lowest rated of the series. I like infamous SS, but I do feel it was a step down from 1 and 2. IDK their first party stuff has been a mixed bag to this point.

Speely

Banned
It's obviously a play off the word "alloy", which is a type of metal. Unless the developers are purposely trying to make us think that she's a robot, then it's not a very well hidden twist.

Dude. That's a part of the actual setting. Anacronistic names meant to be evocative of a previous age are kind of the thing. Iirc, it's part of the tribal nature of society and a sort of central conceit of the setting. It's not neccessarily a heavy-handed hint.

It would be pretty difficult for her to visually age as she has if she were an android.

CsP6i8KWIAAyI9o.jpg

Kin5290

Have they? I've liked a handful of them, but I wouldn't say they're on a roll. The order was a disaster. Driveclub was well liked around here and did well, but it had that disaster of a launch, and outside of gaf people were somewhat mixed. LBP3 reviewed really poorly and was generally considered the worst in the series. Knack nuf said. Killzone shadowfall was garbage most I've talked to agree with that and it's the lowest rated of the series. I like infamous SS, but I do feel it was a step down from 1 and 2. IDK their first party stuff has been a mixed bag to this point.
Last I checked Uncharted was pretty good.

ManeKast

I'm expecting to be conflicted when I buy this AND Zelda. Same day.

I expect it to be a great game, but not a classic, happy to be proved wrong. Preorder locked.

HeatBoost

I expect it to be not-very-good to mediore, in spite of how cool it has seemed at times

My basis for this stance: the entire Killzone franchise

I hope I'm wrong, though

NYmanutd

Bloodborne,Uncharted4,Ratchet and Clank,The Last Guardian,Until Dawn, Gravity Rush2.

Basically. This is so far Sonys weakest gen for exclusives. Resogun, until dawn, blood borne and last guardian are the only ones that did it for me so far.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Last I checked Uncharted was pretty good.

Bloodborne,Uncharted4,Ratchet and Clank,The Last Guardian,Until Dawn, Gravity Rush2.

I didn't say they were universally bad did I? I just said I wouldn't say they were on a roll. And while bloodborne was partially 1st party, they had a big contribution out of Miyazaki and his team. You listed 6 games here and they've all been good to different degrees, but again for me their first party is spotty this gen, ESPECIALLY when placed against last generation.

wapplew

Fun combat, interesting story, cool world, one or few likable characters, profitable enough to make sure Sony keep GG alive.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Dude. That's a part of the actual setting. Anacronistic names meant to be evocative of a previous age are kind of the thing. Iirc, it's part of the tribal nature of society and a sort of central conceit of the setting. It's not neccessarily a heavy-handed hint.
Ah, didn't know that. Still, I don't expect the writing to be very good, I've seen that infamous dialogue video, and there just aren't many games like this that end up having good writing anyway.

LotusHD

Banned
"On a roll" implies the last couple of exclusives, not literally every exclusive Sony has gotten this gen. At least that's how I saw it.

It looks phenomenal and I think it could be a fantastic game. GOTY material

However, I could very easily be wrong, and the fact that the developer is Guerrilla Games makes me even more nervous.

kyser73

False memories

"You think I'm a Replicant, don't you? Look. It's me with my mother."

"Yeah? You remember when you were six? You and your brother sneaked into an empty building through a basement window. You were gonna play doctor. He showed you his. When it got to be your turn, you chickened and ran. Remember that? Have you ever told anybody that? Your mother? Tyrell? Anybody, uh? You remember the spider that lived in a bush outside your window? Orange body, green legs. You watched her build her web all summer. Then one day there was a big egg in. The egg hatched."

"The egg hatched. And hundred baby spiders came out. And they ate her.'

gow3isben

Metacritic - 94
Great Story and deep characters
Great graphics
Fantastic Open World
Great voice acting on main story and less great on secondary etc.

Man don't do this to yourself.

Seems like a really solid game but the stock open world shenanigans are really bumming me out. Please don't be like Infamous or Assassins Creed or Far Cry in your open world structure.

Gaz_RB

Bracing for disappointment. I think it has a ton of potential, but Guerilla Games has yet to prove themselves outside of First Person Shooters (and even then, Shadowfall was a pretty bad game).

That said, the graphics look amazing and the concept is novel enough. My worries are more directed towards the execution of the characters, story, and, above all else, the gameplay. I'll definitely buy at full price if the reviews are good, but it's certainly not going to be a pre-order for me.

NYmanutd

I didn't say they were universally bad did I? I just said I wouldn't say they were on a roll. And while bloodborne was partially 1st party, they had a big contribution out of Miyazaki and his team. You listed 6 games here and they've all been good to different degrees, but again for me their first party is spotty this gen, ESPECIALLY when placed against last generation.
Fair point. Yea Warhawk,Motorstorm Pacific Rift,Ratchet A crak in Time,God of War3,Uncharted2,Folklore, inFAMOUS,Killzone2,Resistance3 were some of my favorites but The Last Guardian is the best game i have ever played so yea Sony has delivered so far this generation in my eyes.

steven28

A really well made open world game with the the most well designed world since the witcher 3.Some average voice acting and story but it will be secondary to the great gameplay and excellent encounters.Predicting 84 or 85 metacritic but if it ends up better i'll never be so glad to be wrong.

Weebos

Banned
I expect it to be a decent game that will probably disappoint some. It's Guerrilla, I don't think they've proven themselves capable of making a 10/10 masterpiece.

Would love to be wrong though.

the sequel to this will be amazing when they expanded melee combat options and add flying mount/aerial combat, and even more machine variety in general.

I'm content with what I see so far, my only concern is just enemy variety and while we've seen quite a bit, I hope there's much much more machine we haven't seen yet. we know there are 26 machine total, I just hope that doesn't count variation of the same type.

viHuGi

Banned

What about The Last Guardian, Uncharted 4, Ratchet, Yakuza 0, Nioh, Until Dawn, Bloodborne, Driveclub Post patch, MLB The Show, Gravity Rudy 2, Resogun, Infamous SS?

Top Bottom