• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your most/least appealing Switch features? (Xbox Live Rewards Survey)

Mediking

Does XboxGAF care about Switch?

Maybe.

Maybe not.

But I'm sure they want high profile good games on their platform like everybody else.

Bowl0l

Another thought here for this survey:

Could MS be fishing to gauge reaction to Switch in the run up to Scorpio's launch? I mean I can't believe they'd really be affected but is there a chance that they could be thinking "how damaging could a potential Mario Odyssey, Pokemon Stars, Smash Bros Deluxe triple header be to us if they come out around October / November this year?"
Scorpio is not competing with Switch. It's probably a $500 box with it's current specs.

Blam

Now this is a console war I want to be a part of shit. If Microsoft releases a competitor to the Switch now that's gonna light a fire under Sony's ass to get a damn Vita 2 out.

emb

There's been something of a push in mobile devices to abandon removable storage for god knows why reasons, so the more pushback from consumers on "Yes please, I would like cheap easily removable and upgradable storage and not expensive built in untamperable FLASH memory" the better imo
Fair! That does sound like an awful trend. That feature just seems like an odd one out for a video games console when placed beside stuff like portability and games library.

But it's probably not something that should be understated. The Vita got a lot of hate for the (really dumb) decision to use proprietary memory cards, and the original Xbox's hard drive was actually sort of a cool feature/selling point.

Nintendo was on point when they decided not to show the switch at last year's E3 so they wouldn't copy their concept. I bet we'll have Sony and MS switches announced in less than a year.

Does it have to be that powerful? The same games don't necessarily need to be the same fidelity.

Yeah running Xbox One games at 720p like the switch does shouldn't be that hard?

That's not how games on consoles work though. They would all have to be completely redone to work with the new spec. Games don't automatically scale, the developers would need to do a lot of work on every single game on the platform if they want them all to be playable on the new device.

I wouldnt be surprised if they did a smaller Surface type device. Not only for XBO games but PC games too.

I don't think they could make one with XB1 specs though (at least in 2017-2018) and if it has different specs you'd run into the above problem.

Not to mention you aren't going to find a decent mobile chipset with the same architecture as the XB1.

Blam

That's not how games on consoles work though. They would all have to be completely redone to work with the new spec. Games don't automatically scale, the developers would need to do a lot of work on every single game on the platform if they want them all to be playable on the new device.

I know it's not, but I'd assume it would be easier to optimize for if it was all in 720p or 600p?

I'm just mentioning that it might be possible to do at 720p.

I'm surprised one of the points listed for things you least like about the Switch wasn't "apps".

That'd be a no-brainer for Microsoft to do, given UWP programs have a responsive design that scales between Windows Phones and large PC monitors.

Zeta Oni

They could honestly just make a portable that works with all my BC 360 games and id probably get it for that alone.

jbug617

Banned
The beginning of the survey asked about E3 and if it important to you when you looking to buy consoles and games. Then asked about what features are important to you like network, game catalog etc.

Very interesting. Shows how seriously Switch is being taken.
Yep. As much as I like to complain about Nintendo (despite spending lots of money on their wares), they certainly shake things up in this industry time after time.

Take a bow, Nintendo. Take a bow.

phanphare

Banned
Now this is a console war I want to be a part of shit. If Microsoft releases a competitor to the Switch now that's gonna light a fire under Sony's ass to get a damn Vita 2 out.

giphy.gif

The Hermit

If the Switch keeps it's momentum, I think it's fair to say both Sony and Microsoft will jump on that boat, just like they tried with the Wii.

shandy706

Does XboxGAF care about Switch?

Maybe.

Maybe not.

But I'm sure they want high profile good games on their platform like everybody else.

A lot of GAF (including "XboxGAF") are multi-console/system owners....

..so...YES

Edit**

Mobile CPUs/GPUs are nearing a point they could run OG Xbox One games. They could probably release an "affordable" 720p handheld that could run Xbox family games.

Hit holiday 2018 with hardware based on AMD's new CPU/GPUs.

Feeroper

The portability is incredible. Just being able to play Disgaea 5 on my TV last night then, around 10, grab my switch and get into bed and keep playing, then the next day take it to my parents' house and carry on playing on the train / at theirs is truly revolutionary for me.

I mean it's reached the point now where, given feature parity, I'd buy any multi platform game on Switch. Running at slightly higher resolutions doesn't bother me and being able to take it anywhere is easily worth the small trade off. If Skyrim runs at a respectable frame rate (so a solid 30) then it is going to utterly consume my life.

This is my feeling too - the Switch has been such a game changer for me, and when I go back to my other consoles it is difficult to not have that option or going portable if needed. The streaming play of the Vita just doesn't cut it for me as it is such an uneven experience.

Cartho

I don't think a MS branded, Switch style, handheld would be a good idea to be honest. For one, it would need to be a fair whack more powerful than Switch to run Xbox One games and these games would also need to be ported to the system by hand. That takes time and effort and many devs likely wouldn't be bothered.

With that amount of power, battery life would be shocking, even worse than the Switch and people bitched about that non stop. It would run hot, loud and be pretty big to fit the sort of graphics tech in there that would allow Xbox games to run easily on it.

Next, Nintendo is making the Switch work because they a) partnered up with the tech company with a considerable amount of experience in mobile graphics design and b) are devoting all of their resources to it. They have unified all development teams, this will be their platform going forward. If MS released an Xbox branded handheld type console it likely wouldn't have exclusives which were designed specifically for it and it would force devs to split their time across two different platforms. In short, we would end up with exactly the same situation as the Vita - great hardware (at the time) but not nearly enough developer support meaning it eventually faded into obscurity amongst anyone who didn't adore indie games / Japanese games.

It will end up with MS pouring silly amounts of money into it for little real return on investment I reckon. They would be splitting their money and development resources between Xb1 S, Scorpio, a future Xbox Two (or whatever) and a handheld. This just doesn't seem even remotely like a good idea. Nintendo are in a very different position as they can just throw everything at the Switch.

shandy706

I don't think a MS branded, Switch style, handheld would be a good idea to be honest. For one, it would need to be a fair whack more powerful than Switch to run Xbox One games and these games would also need to be ported to the system by hand. That takes time and effort and many devs likely wouldn't be bothered.

With that amount of power, battery life would be shocking, even worse than the Switch and people bitched about that non stop. It would run hot, loud and be pretty big to fit the sort of graphics tech in there that would allow Xbox games to run easily on it.

Next, Nintendo is making the Switch work because they a) partnered up with the tech company with a considerable amount of experience in mobile graphics design and b) are devoting all of their resources to it. They have unified all development teams, this will be their platform going forward. If MS released an Xbox branded handheld type console it likely wouldn't have exclusives which were designed specifically for it and it would force devs to split their time across two different platforms. In short, we would end up with exactly the same situation as the Vita - great hardware (at the time) but not nearly enough developer support meaning it eventually faded into obscurity amongst anyone who didn't adore indie games / Japanese games.

It will end up with MS pouring silly amounts of money into it for little real return on investment I reckon. They would be splitting their money and development resources between Xb1 S, Scorpio, a future Xbox Two (or whatever) and a handheld. This just doesn't seem even remotely like a good idea. Nintendo are in a very different position as they can just throw everything at the Switch.

What if Ryzen Mobile clocks in around 1.5TF+-?

It's possible we could see AMD's new mobile chips being capable of X1 level performance (at lower resolutions). They'd likely be 4 core / 8 thread CPUs, and you'd need enough RAM to run everything too of course.

Not sure how that would pan out cost wise.

I found this question really interesting! It still won't let me send my survey results, but I put portability and game selection as my top two.

The survey also asks how "influential" I feel having certain companies at E3 is. I found that really interesting considering Microsoft's small booth space this year compared to Sony/Nintendo. When Microsoft as PC company has been announcing products at their own dedicated events, it makes me wonder if Xbox might move there.

shandy706

X1s CPU is the least of the problems that would need to be solved to shrink it down to a tablet form factor

We're talking Mobile APU, not just a CPU.

Scorpio already addressed the change in memory..so they've already tested that route. Lets list things out then :).

Also, the survey results went through for me now after trying and getting errors earlier.

APU is a marketing term, and it is functionally no different to Intel HD integrated graphics. Its not running Quantum Break in other words.

Uh, Xbox One's "APU" is running QB though.....so a new equivalent APU on low power draw could potentially do the same. That's how tech advancement works...it just may not be there yet of course.

LordRaptor

We're talking Mobile APU, not just a CPU.

Scorpio already addressed the change in memory..so they've already tested that route. Lets list things out then :).

Also, the survey results went through for me now after trying and getting errors earlier.

APU is a marketing term, and it is functionally no different to Intel HD integrated graphics. Its not running Quantum Break in other words.

13ruce

Banned
Xbox already knowing it's time for third place;)

I kid but why? Are they going to copy Nintendo yet again?

If Microsoft released a Switch style tablet which plays X1 games in the next couple of years, oh boy oh boy.
With Microsoft's focus on backwards compatibility going forward, and Xbox-compatible handheld device would be awesome. All those 360 games on the go?

I doubt it would happen though, at least in the foreseeable future.

wildfire

Banned
X1s CPU is the least of the problems that would need to be solved to shrink it down to a tablet form factor

This is already a problem solved by Nvidia on the GPU side.

The problem is that such a portable would be too expensive in price and battery consumption.

MS with today's understanding of tech could remake Scorpio as a BGA or MXM module and down clock it for acceptable performance on a handheld 1080p screen. But it will cost more than the Scorpio and even with every trick they could leverage to improve battery life it won't last as long as a Switch even with the same multiplat game.

zenspider

How much would a handheld that powerful cost to buy? Plus battery life would be a concern.

I feel like the tech issues were discussed in the "Switch: X1 Tegra confirmed" thread. Essentially, it would be impossible at that size and anywhere near that price.

mollipen

I know I personally am really excited about the MicroSD slot. Hard to resist a console with MicroSD. :p

Hey, we Vita people would go completely crazy if a new model with MicroSD was announced. Hell yeah that'd be exciting!

Top Bottom