• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your thoughts on Philip DeFranco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

If that's the full story then I don't see the issue. She said some rude things towards him and she faced consequences for her actions. Even if it was private messaged to him I would still expect it to be reported to any places she worked and maybe even family. It's not okay to send rude/hurtful messages online to anybody and if you do you should be exposed for who you truly are.

Apt101

I've never been into YouTubers but I watch an episode, or what have you, every now and again. I remember him from way back, and I think he had the best produced and edited videos from the dawn of all of it. He can be funny.

Something else that I haven't seen much of in this thread is how click bait-y his video titles are recently.
When combined with the thumbnails it's pretty obnoxious.

Philip DeFranco is the very definition of someone who is more devoted to order than to justice. who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"

Something else that I haven't seen much of in this thread is how click bait-y his video titles are recently.

Yep.

All uppercase titles, check.
Saying his YouTube is gonna be shut down, check
Threatening to quit YouTube, check
YouTube drama, check

He's just like 90% of the people on there with 'vlogs' and news bullshit. I'm actually surprised it isn't him talking over gameplay of CSGO.

Timeaisis

Calm down, what did he do to you? I'm not propping him up, it's a common technique across all of YouTube. Plenty of people do it with video like TheNeedleDrop and people do it with audio, even GAF's darlings.

Yeah, these people aren't talk show hosts but they're not talentless. Believe it or not, there's places in between.

The video reads like a long winded GAF post. I get he's not talentless, but for real cutting every five seconds makes it seem like he's being all too meticulous with saying the exact right thing or he's terrible at presenting and keeps screwing up.

I'd rather listen to a genuine, direct opinion with a couple mistakes than a 10 minute video of someone talking directly into a camera with over 100 cuts.

It's not that hard to talk into a camera decently well. The challenge is forming coherent thoughts and communicating them. If one cannot do that in regular conversational manner I sincerely question why I'm listening to said opinion to begin with.

marrec

Banned
Can't hate his hustle but dude wouldn't take a hard position if his life depended on it. Further, he's woefully under-educated on a lot of stuff. I mean, he does research, but oftentimes it's not quality research so he'll think he's speaking from a position of knowledge but he ain't. Like the "Stuff You Should Know" of both-sides news dudes.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Philip DeFranco is a smart man...a lot of people hate his guts if he went one way or the other he'd be DONE.....Playing it cool is a good idea TBH

tirminyl

I started back after a while but he is too middle of the road never taking a position which makes me feel that I can't really trust him as I don't know where he stands. He reminds me of Karen from Veep.

He's talked about this and as you know, more people click on baity titles.

XBP

Unsubscribed from his channel after he refused to take a stance during the US election. I understand being unbiased but come the fuck on. If there was any situtation where someone as popular as him needed to take a stance, it was then.

LionPride

Banned
Unsubscribed from his channel after he refused to take a stance during the US election. I understand being unbiased but come the fuck on. If there was any situtation where someone as popular as him needed to take a stance, it was then.
Him trying to shit on Casey Neisat for calling out YouTubers for not saying shit is what officially led me to unsubbing. I already kinda stopped watching his content unless it was SourceFed. I ended up unsubscribing from his wife's vlog channel, and both of his main channels

Goodstyle

I can't stand "Both sides" people. Have a fucking opinion.

What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or was he just born with a heart full of neutrality.

ThisGuy

Violence is what it takes when the system fails you. We got a white nationalist/neo-nazi working in the white house.

The sooner people get on board the sooner we can win. I said sitting on the couch tapping on my smart phone.

Brakke

Banned
I watched two minutes of this. This is trash and if you rely on it you should feel bad. YouTube punditry is the new talk radio punditry I guess. What did talk radio ever give the world? Rush Limbaugh? That's the model we're going forward with?

Y i k e s

Yup this week and if I'm not mistaken his video this week is him downplaying his actions.

I have seen all his videos this week and I have no idea what you're talking about.

As for Philly I don't have an opinion about him one way or another, I do watch his videos though

edit: just saw the most recent video, so you mean to tell me someone attacked him and twitter and he's not allowed to defend himself? Nonfuckingsense

I've been subscribed to him for years.

He's a bit of a scumbag nowadays that either takes a lot of non-stances, or panders to right wing losers by lambasting feminists and SJWs as well as defending other scumbags like Milo, be it by defending their hate speech because it's free speech or playing "Devil's Advocate."

He's a shady fuck that often takes the middle road to avoid alienating people he shouldn't care about alienating.

Sunster

I used to watch him when I was really first beginning to pay attention to world events and figuring out my own stance on things. This was back in like, 2011-2012 I think. I watched him daily for about 2 years. Then, as my views began to move further left I started to notice he was rather right. For instance, I clearly remember him saying he was voting for Gary Johnson in 2012. He's also anti gun regulation and a bit misogynistic. Those are the only a few specifics I can recall now, most of it just is a general vibe you get after watching 100's of his vids like I have. He's a very successful and I remember being in awe of the company he built from scratch. But I moved on and I'm glad I did. Reading this thread, I am not at all surprised he said those things.

LionPride

Banned
I've been subscribed to him for years.

He's a bit of a scumbag nowadays that either takes a lot of non-stances, or panders to right wing losers by lambasting feminists and SJWs as well as defending other scumbags like Milo, be it by defending their hate speech because it's free speech or playing "Devil's Advocate."

He's a shady fuck that often takes the middle road to avoid alienating people he shouldn't care about alienating.

Now here's the thing on the free speech thing...Milo has the right to say every fucking dumb terrible thing he says, people have the right to protest his ass

Richard Spencer has the right to say his racist, hateful ass shit, people have the right to tell him to shut the fuck up

BajiBoxer

Banned
Watched a bit. No idea why I would sub. I'm not hearing anything insightful, it's poorly edited, and he's just some guy siting at home giving safe half researched opinions.

Watched a bit. No idea why I would sub. I'm not hearing anything insightful, it's poorly edited, and he's just some guy siting at home giving safe half researched opinions.

He's a guy with his own small business, that led the opening of new channels. He's an entrepreneur, and he reads as much as the rest of us.

Foxxsoxx

I like him personally. I find it hilarious how many people on GAF don't like him, I wasn't really expecting that.

His stance on being neutral is that he wants to report the news and not be like the News stations that are biased. Of course he makes mistakes and he admits to where he was wrong plenty of the time.

I can understand not liking his editing style and jumpcuts, but calling him a garbage person? Come on, there are way worse people out there than him, the dude donates to charity often, helps smaller Youtube channels grow, and in general is a wonderful dude. Sure you might not like his content but don't resort to hating him for it, that's just childish.

I do dislike how all his intros and outros are the same, that does get old.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I like him personally. I find it hilarious how many people on GAF don't like him.

His stance on being neutral is that he wants to report the news and not be like the News stations that are biased. Of course he makes mistakes and he admits to where he was wrong plenty of the time.

I can understand not liking his editing style and jumpcuts, but calling him a garbage person? Come on, there are way worse people out there than him, the dude donates to charity often and in general is a wonderful dude.

Like, there's way better places to get news than from some guy on YouTube. Saying that news sources are biased is kinda dumb since everyone has their biases, even DeFranco. IMO, his videos all seem like he's trying so hard to maintain the illusion of objectivity that he ends up not saying anything interesting and just giving credence to some pretty disgusting views under the guise of balance.

Pretty good video. Those rioters at UCB were out of hand definitely. No need to physically attack other people and destroy property based on someone's political views.

KoopaTheCasual

Used to want to believe that he was truly a socially progressive moderate, but then i went to his twitter....

Buuunch of hot takes. Lets not forget his famous "fuck your safe spaces," which he tried to walk back, but the more i see of him, the less I believe he actually regrets.

Jesus, some embarrassing replies in this thread. I watched the three videos linked in here and feel like I must have watched the wrong thing. He seems like a perfectly rational person. Here's what I've gleaned from GAF:

On the other side of an issue = you are a terrible human being

Able to see the both sides of an issue, but don't necessarily fully agree with either = you are a terrible human being

Believe everyone has a right to speak their mind without violent protest = terrible human being

Christ. This forum has really become a place unwelcome to any dissent. It's quite disheartening. I think this may be where I stop participating on the forum, which is pretty depressing.

He's a guy with his own small business, that led the opening of new channels. He's an entrepreneur, and he reads as much as the rest of us.

So?

And given his milquetoast no sides analysis, I question how much he's actually informed.

Jesus, some embarrassing replies in this thread. I watched the three videos linked in here and feel like I must have watched the wrong thing. He seems like a perfectly rational person. Here's what I've gleaned from GAF:

Able to see the both sides of an issue, but don't necessarily fully agree with either = you are a terrible human being

Believe everyone has a right to speak their mind without violent protest = terrible human being

Christ. This forum has really become a place unwelcome to any dissent. It's quite disheartening. I think this may be where I stop participating on the forum, which is pretty depressing.

I mean ok, there is a ton of dissent on a ton of issues, like I dunno have you ever been in a protest thread where traffic is involved?

And I find it tough to imagine two sides on Milo and Richard "literal Nazi" Spencer so.

Milo has a history of directly using his platform to harass students, it's not just a speaking his mind issue.

These milquetoast videos bluntly do as much to normalize Milo as potentially even the violence does, because what he does, who he is, is almost always sanitized to "controversial" "opinions I might not agree with", "speaking his mind", there is a total refusal by just about everyone but protesters to really engage with just how hateful this man is.

He's presented as just having a political opinion, he's treated like any other political commentator, which he's frankly not. Again this is a man who got kicked off twitter, a company that allows Richard "Literal Nazi" Spencer a platform still because of extremely racist harassment, this is a guy who harasses and humiliates a trans student in his "talk", a student who felt so little protection from her school that I believe she had to leave the school before finishing her degree. This is a guy who gets to go on TV pretty much whenever he wants and be treated as someone of worth to talk to., who gets puff pieces written about how likeable he is, etc.... Like again he literally put pictures of a trans student in his powerpoint presentation and mercilessly attacked her for no fucking reason and no one cares, this is not normal, and it shouldn't be treated as such.

So I take issue with even the title: Free Speech was not shutdown, Milo's free speech is fine, he got to go on TV the next day. He gets to harass students, chase them out of their schools and get paid for it and then go on TV and talk about how oppressed he was by violence, and everyone just nods their heads and plays along.

If you feel unwelcome or do not like people opinions just ignore them how hard is that to do. The forum even provides everyone with an ignore button that way you can create your own personal safe space or bubble.

"I am fairly sure I just got a sub of mine fired."

I used to watch his videos every once in a while and enjoyed them, but after I watched a show he did where he defended some piece of medium with, "What have you ever done with your life?" and "Let's see you do better.", I realized he's just another clown on YouTube. Watching his video of him justifying his crying to some trolls bosses just cements my opinion.

If you feel unwelcome or do not like people opinions just ignore them how hard is that to do. The forum even provides everyone with an ignore button that way you can create your own personal safe space or bubble.

It's actually the opposite of a "bubble" - I want to see myriad opinions and viewpoints, without them being shouted down with memes or name calling. But okay, you do you.

Edit: so people here are okay with the tweets that woman sent about him? Perfectly rational, huh?

I like his attempt at unbiased news channel, but I would like to see him take it to a higher level.

If there is anything he needs to do is show his own thoughts on the matter, without pussy footing around to not offend anyone. That and get a new editor. So much of his channel recently is just sensationalist crap that band wagons off of anything easy. If he wants to evolve his channel to something better, he needs someone with some actual opinions and experience pushing it.

It's actually the opposite of a "bubble" - I want to see myriad opinions and viewpoints, without them being shouted down with memes or name calling. But okay, you do you.

I have never ignored anyone do not feel the need to. As for your problem I do not think anyone can help you because this thread has not been that bad. People have just been giving their opinion of what they think about Defranco.

Dynasty

Edit: so people here are okay with the tweets that woman sent about him? Perfectly rational, huh?

Yh they seem to be fine with it, they believe just because he has a bigger audience it takes away his right to respond to people hating on him because his fan base might harrass that person. Funny though since people seem to be fine with the whole Patton Oswalt thing but not with this. If someone calls me a white supremacist apoligizer, Im going to respond. The size of your fanbase shouldnt effect your right to respond.

Metrotab

Banned
If you attack a person for being a white supremacist apologist, you can expect some pushback if that person is just your average milquetoast moderate liberal instead.

Don't make attacks if you can't bear the consequences.

I've been subbed to him for a couple of years. For the most part I think he's fairly reasonable but for this past year I've been seriously thinking of unsubbing from him. I keep my sub mainly because I like to force myself to hear what a more centrist person thinks. But this past year especially the elections he's been on some BS. His staunch neutrality is honestly quite ridiculous. Especially on situations where it's clear it's black and white. It seems like he just wants to appease both audiences. Anytime he makes a video bashing something someone on the right does, he always finds a way to bash the left. and vice versa. It honestly comes off as immature, and taking the easy way out by saying "both sides are equally bad" When that's clearly not the case, multiple times.

I wish he would be less "gotta hear both sides" and more actually taking a stance on some issues.

A lot of people follow him blindly, the same as any Internet personality, and I worry they will follow him right of wrong and sympathize with the offending side.

JusDoIt

He's somebody who throws around "SJW" without irony, so I see him as less of a moderate and more of a corny asshole.

If you defend white supremacists and say that others should discuss issues you are a white supremacist apologists.

It's cut and dry. Not every topic needs to be understood from both sides. A side that wants an ethnic cleansing of people and question if Jews are actually people is not a side worth listening to.

You are not some intellectual because you can pretend to give both sides of a discussion equal treatment, when in fact you take the worst of one side and almost the best of another for your comparison.

No, you are a fool.

I wish he would be less "gotta hear both sides" and more actually taking a stance on some issues.

A lot of people follow him blindly, the same as any Internet personality, and I worry they will follow him right of wrong and sympathize with the offending side.

Why? Why is everyone in this thread seemingly taking it as axiomatic that one must take a side? What's wrong with looking at things from all sides?

Admittedly, I've watched 3 of his videos, so maybe there's one where he says "maybe it's OK to hate black people," etc.? Or is it just things like "maybe if you're protesting you shouldn't be destroying cars, etc."?

Croyles

Why? Why is everyone in this thread seemingly taking it as axiomatic that one must take a side? What's wrong with looking at things from all sides?

Admittedly, I've watched 3 of his videos, so maybe there's one where he says "maybe it's OK to hate black people," etc.? Or is it just things like "maybe if you're protesting you shouldn't be destroying cars, etc."?

Well, this youtuber aside (I honestly know nothing about him and just sort of stumbled on this thread, sorry), there is a great danger in always being neutral.

Person A: We should eat loads of bees.

Person B: We should eat no bees.

Persona C (neutral): I guess we should eat some bees?

5 years later:

Person A: We should eat all the bees in the world.

Person B: We should only eat some bees.

Person C (neutral): We should eat loads of bees but not all.

etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom