• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your thoughts on Philip DeFranco?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this youtuber aside (I honestly know nothing about him and just sort of stumbled on this thread, sorry), there is a great danger in always being neutral.

Person A: We should eat loads of bees.

Person B: We should eat no bees.

Persona C (neutral): I guess we should eat some bees?

5 years later:

Person A: We should eat all the bees in the world.

Person B: We should only eat some bees.

Person C (neutral): We should eat loads of bees but not all.

etc.

You say that as if there's no danger to taking one side or the other without seeing that there's often shades of gray that define an issue. Obamacare is a good example.

Typical white moderate with a lot of privilege sitting on the sidelines who is absolutist on violence or disruption never being any good in a protest and will keep on tone-policing how to do the most effective protest. Constantly brings up Milo to repeat that we should allow a platform for hate speech, that stopping him from talking is never going to work even though every time Milo is going into echo chambers where there is little-to-no debate and it's a safe space for conservatives to laugh and cheer against feminism, marginalised people, or "PC" stuff.

Not a fan.
Philip DeFranco is the very definition of someone who is more devoted to order than to justice. who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"
Agreed.

He recently sent his followers to attack someone on Twitter because she posted "Fuck you for being a white supremacist apologist" and he responded by saying "You are calling me a white supremacist?" (which she did not), @'d her employer with a screenshot of her tweet, and then had his fans flood her twitter with comments.
philip_defranco_harassment_campaign_2_by_digi_matrix-daxuj8q.png

And now she's deleted her account.

Another woman but he didn't out her handle this time. She deleted her account too.
philip_defranco_harassment_campaign_by_digi_matrix-daxuj8f.png

And now she's deleted her account.

Yup that's that situation where he mentioned her employers. And he publicized a private message that some guy sent him disagreeing with him.

Let's not forget that this is the same Phillip DeFranco that will call others pieces of shit and scum in his videos.

He has gotten a lot of pushback from his viewers but it is clear that he doesn't believe that he did anything wrong, rather that he doesn't want his viewers to witness his "drama"

I believe that he should be able to defend himself on line, no doubt, but he purposefully responded in a way that he knew would have people harass the woman. He tries to act "above" politics and petty responses but you get clear glimpses of his personality that shows he acts and reports with a bias.

You say that as if there's no danger to taking one side or the other without seeing that there's often shades of gray that define an issue. Obamacare is a good example.

Are there shades of grey with white supremacy and white supremacists? What's dangerous is pretending that every situation is a "shade of grey" situation when we know as a society that is not true.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
In terms of style I really hate the way he talks and edits his videos with those stupid smash cuts that's popular among his brand of youtubers.

In terms of content, isn't the dude an alt-righter? Or at least, alt-righter curious?

I used to really enjoy his videos but his on the fence stance has been really bothering me so I unfollowed him.

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

NexusCell

In terms of style I really hate the way he talks and edits his videos with those stupid smash cuts that's popular among his brand of youtubers.

In terms of content, isn't the dude an alt-righter? Or at least, alt-righter curious?

Having seen his videos, I would say he's devoted to being "neutral" even when its pretty obvious which side is more right. I wouldn't necessarily say he is alt right.

Sunster

What other issues in threads do you want to see both sides represented equally?

Dynasty

Yup that's that situation where he mentioned her employers. And he publicized a private message that some guy sent him disagreeing with him.

Let's not forget that this is the same Phillip DeFranco that will call others pieces of shit and scum in his videos.

He has gotten a lot of pushback from his viewers but it is clear that he doesn't believe that he did anything wrong, rather that he doesn't want his viewers to witness his "drama"

Cool. Guess he was wrong for calling Milo a Scumbag.

I agree that he was wrong when he publicized the private message but not when he responded to the girl, she tweeted at him attacking him in a public space so he replied, if she couldnt handle the potential consequences she shouldnt have attacked him.

I agree that he was wrong when he publicized the private message but not when he responded to the girl, she tweeted at him attacking him in a public space so he replied, if she couldnt handle the potential consequences she shouldnt have attacked him.
He's in a position of power though, and knew exactly what would happen if he contacted the employer.

I believe that he should be able to defend himself on line, no doubt, but he purposefully responded in a way that he knew would have people harass the woman. He tries to act "above" politics and petty responses but you get clear glimpses of his personality that shows he acts and reports with a bias.

Also if you want to continue being facetious by acting as if Milo or any other person that supports white supremacy deserves decency let me know ahead of time.

Dynasty

He's in a position of power though, and knew exactly what would happen if he contacted the employer.

So, she started it, she called him a White Supremacist aplogist which mainly percieve as essentially a WS. If say a Trump supporter called me or you, the N-word or another derogatory word. If the info was available I would also contact the employer and hopefully get him/her fired.

Also if you want to continue being facetious by acting as if Milo or any other person that supports white supremacy deserves decency let me know ahead of time.

Milo and other like him are scum, thet dont deserve deceny but they dont deserve there rights of free speech to be taken away like the speech he was going to give at the college.
He got banned on Twitter which I agree with because he crossed the line several times and essentially ordered his followers to harrass others.

So, she started it, she called him a White Supremacist aplogist which mainly percieve as essentially a WS.

If say a Trump supporter called me or you, the N-word or another derogatory word. If the info was available I would also contact the employer and hopefully get him/her fired.

Are you arguing that calling someone a white supremacist apologist (someone that defends white supremacists) or a white supremacist (someone that believes that those who are White are superior to others) is the same as being called a nigger?

And are you falsely equating a white supremacist apologist to a white supremacist?

Calling someone racist is just as bad as racism.

Azerare

So, she started it, she called him a White Supremacist aplogist which mainly percieve as essentially a WS. If say a Trump supporter called me or you, the N-word or another derogatory word. If the info was available I would also contact the employer and hopefully get him/her fired.

Are you fricking serious?! Some people...

Dynasty

Are you arguing that calling someone a white supremacist apologist (someone that defends white supremacists) or a white supremacist (someone that believes that those who are White are superior to others) is the same as being called a nigger?

And are you falsely equating a white supremacist apologist to a white supremacist?

Calling someone racist is just as bad as racism.

Not the same. One is worse obviosuly but the other is still bad.

Not the same. One is worse obviosuly but the other is still bad.

You are ignorant if you think that calling someone a white supremacist apologist or a white supremacist is "bad" if they are indeed that.

And please share your scale of "bad" so I can see just how far nigger is from those two.

https://youtu.be/4O_6IxmJvcg

Pewdiepie makes an anti-semetic joke and all this dude wants to talk about is how PC culture and the media unjustly got mad at him.

https://youtu.be/n88nq-3a4wg

He takes 5 seconds to say I don't agree with Milo then calls protestors hypocrites who are are the real fascists, says Milo is being censored, takes Martin Shkreli at his word that he was so going to debate Milo on feminism (you know the same Martin Shkreli who was harassing a Tern Vogue writer just cause) and has the guts to say Milo is so nice because he lets dissenters talk at his speeches as if a Q&A is really the way to debate.

This is the kind of above the fray nonsense that paints Milo not as a dangerous serial harasser but as just someone with different views than you.

It's normalization via holier than thou framing.

This guy provides absolutely nothing. Hell his Richard Spencer video despite actually calling him a white supremacist also presents the suggestion that maybe folks were unfair to him when they suggested Spencer didn't think jews were people because he was really talking about the media (who are all jews of course).

Like sorry the dude offers nothing. Refusing to take a stand isn't above the fray it's just a different type of fray.

Dynasty

You are ignorant if you think that calling someone a white supremacist apologist or a white supremacist is "bad" if they are indeed that.

And please share your scale of "bad" so I can see just how far nigger is from those two.

He isnt a white supremacist apologist, dont see him defending Milo's action.
Cant really put it on a scale but there is a significant distance between the words

He isnt a white supremacist apologist, dont see him defending Milo's action.
Cant really put it on a scale but there is a significant distance between the words

By not outright slamming white supremacists and stating that they are just people with opposing views you are taking the actions of defending their thoughts as valid.

excelsiorlef makes it quite clear.

Had a think about all the other shady shit this prick has done and actually went through the effort of unsubbing.

The all caps click bait titles, using other YouTubers for his thumbnails, incessantly perpetuating false "both sides" bullshit narratives, pandering to absolute losers and scum - man, fuck this dude.

Slayven

Oh this dude, had the bad luck to see his video on Franchesca Ramsey. Just like 99% of youtube personalities, just trash.

Dynasty

I watched that link 2 posts above you and it's pretty damning.

Impression i got from the video. He doesnt agree that Milo should have his right to speak taken away through violence.

Edit it appears that I was thinking of the wrong video, there was mo violence in that one but they did essentially censor him.

Bold One

I was sort of into it in 09-11, but then he became sort of obnoxious with the merchandising.

every vid felt less like he was saying something important, but trying to sell me his wares

Sunster

Impression i got from the video. He doesnt agree that Milo should have his right to speak taken away through violence.

just because there was some broken windows and hurtful words yelled about white people by a few students does not mean protests to hate speech should not happen. asking marginalized people to sit and listen patiently to someone saying things that deny their personhood and civil rights is a bit much, even with a q&a at the end. Which I'm sure would have been thought provoking and balanced. /s

Edit it appears that I was thinking of the wrong video, there was mo violence in that one but they did essentially censor him.

He has access to a national news organization. He can write and publish anything he wants. He can go on TV almost whenever he wants. He was not censored.

Slayven

He has access to a national news organization. He can write and publish anything he wants. He can go on TV almost whenever he wants. He was not censored.

Hell he has a bigger platform then people that actually are trying to make the world a better place

janoDX

Scarce is much better, he might be a meme, but he's much better than Philip right now because Scarce has the balls to take a side.

This is the Milo everyone sanitizes

He has a history of singling out students and harassing them in his "presentation" he literally caused a trans student to drop out of school. He literally ruined her education.

Like this is what he said at his next speech about that trans student:

http://www.mediamatters.org/blog/20...ansgender-university-wisconsin-student/214849

I’ve become a feminist icon. Do you want to know why? So at my previous date at UW Wisconsin, I happen to put on the screen, the image, a picture of a nice young man who think he’s a lady and used the law -- because of course progressives always when they don’t get what they want or want to get in somewhere that they don’t belong, invoke the great patriarchal force known as the government -- to try to get into the women’s locker rooms. This young man was desperate for a bit of tit and minge.

So he tried, via the government, to get himself into the women’s locker rooms at UW Milwaukee. Now he created a terrible fuss, an awful fuss, when I put his name up there and so did the president of that university. But it turns out, he’s going to quit the university. So I have become a sort of second wave feminist icon, protecting women from men in their locker rooms. Well, you’re welcome, feminism.

Now, this young person -- sometimes they think, sometimes they say I’m mean, sometimes they say it’s too much. Sometimes they say you’re too vindictive, it’s too cruel. But the point of doing this, is that, you know, they invoke the government, they use the government to get a variety of things through that ordinary, normal people would not permit. And then this person, Justine or Adelaide, or whatever he calls himself this week --

[audience laughter]

It’s Christmas, I don’t care anymore!

Adelaide, good lord, went to the press and said I had used violent words as though violent words were a thing. What the fuck is a violent word? If you can’t take a joke, how are you going to deal with having your dick cut off?

This is a previous speech which he published on Breitbart

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2016/1...-milo-yiannopoulos-university-delaware/214102

Of course many trannies, or those that make up their own new gender, are not actually retarded. But they are deeply mentally damaged, and they are failed by a liberal establishment obsessed with making them feel good about themselves.

[...]

Although I may seem cruel to trannies, I say all of this because i recognize they are vulnerable and at-risk, and are treated as pawns by the liberal establishment eager to use them to push thought control on the rest of us.

[...]

I will close with this advice. Never feel bad for mocking a transgender person. It is our job to point out their absurdity, to not make the problem worse by pretending they are normal. Much like fat-shaming, if our mockery drives them to get the help they need, we may save their life.

Remember that your target isn’t someone suffering with this condition. It is the media. It is the people turning a psychiatric condition into an aspirational lifestyle choice.

[...]

I do it because nothing else is working. I do it because America and the rest of the west is sleepwalking into one of the cruellest mistreatments of a small but vulnerable slice of the population.

My words don’t hurt anyone. But subjecting children to hormone therapy and mutilating their genitals does.

This is a man who Bill Maher is going to give a platform to:

www.deadline.com/2017/02/bill-maher-real-time-milo-yiannopoulos-1201902451/amp/

So anyone and I mean anyone who dares claim he's being censored or denied speech because people protest his hatred is full of it.

This man has more access to spread hate and dehumanize trans folk and encourage harassment of trans folk then pretty much any teans person has to fight fir their human rights.

If in the end you have more sympathy for him not getting to stand on a stage and yell how hating trans folk is good than you donfor the trans folk who his followers will now feel emboldened to attack. Don't ever tell me you care about trans rights.

And remember on top of that he orchestrated a massive racist attack on Leslie Jones for fun. And when he tours how do they cover it? Call him a hate monger? A transphobic racist? No they call him controversial.

This man gets more respect for hate than trans people do for just trying to live

Sunster

got offended when she explained the concept of white privilege

it can be a tough thing for us gringos to hear. but it's cake compared to telling us about implicit bias. even on gaf that's less than 50/50

Milo, he couldnt do his talk at that school. Which would have had a debate and Q/A after, and to the poster several posts above, no one knows how that debate would have been.

link me to a fair and open debate or discussion milo had at any time ever.

Haines

Banned
I watched him when he first started.

Did for a few months daily even.

Don't anymore bc I see no reason for me to tbh.

redhood56

Banned
Haven't watched him in years but when I did watch him I really liked his videos. His other channel sourced was good before it became clickbait trash.

Milo, he couldnt do his talk at that school. Which would have had a debate and Q/A after, and to the poster several posts above, no one knows how that debate would have been.

Milo wasn't from that school. He's a fucking British college drop out.

I've yet to hear of one talk where a debate actually meaningfully happened.

Trans student in Wisconsin was just laughed at. No one stood up for her.

He's fucking worthless. Also a Q&A is not a debate. It's not an equal relationship.

See this is it. Folks like you prioritize the "debate" over the literal humanity of the people he targets. It's normalization. He spreads hate and people go yeah but he's so open and look he allows debate as if he's some fair guy with just a different opinion

That's how he goes from being a literal hate monger to simply controversial.

He's not censored. Denial of platform is not denial of speech.

I'm guessing you just haven't seen Milo's speeches because there ain't any debates happening. He's not setting up a debate panel, he just does Q&As that are not the equivalent at all. The people attending his talks are fans.

Why? Why is everyone in this thread seemingly taking it as axiomatic that one must take a side? What's wrong with looking at things from all sides?

Admittedly, I've watched 3 of his videos, so maybe there's one where he says "maybe it's OK to hate black people," etc.? Or is it just things like "maybe if you're protesting you shouldn't be destroying cars, etc."?

It's one thing if you truly feel like you're in the middle of an issue. The problem is, that as a consistent viewer, He does this with everything. He always takes the middle road and always plays devil advocate to the point it comes of as disingenuous and insincere. It really comes off as him trying to keep both extremes of his fan base happy as opposed to his genuine thoughts.

He's one of those people I never understood the popularity for. He talks a lot and brings this facade of being enlightened/knowledgeable but there's very little substance in his speech. I find him annoying.

I remember watching a video where he complains that too many youtubers make drama videos. But all I could see in his own video and video history was drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom