• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your thoughts on the story, dialogue, characters, humor, and ending of Borderlands 3?

Please note, this thread contains unmarked spoilers. If you want to discuss these topics without spoiling anything for yourself, use the official thread and use spoiler tags. If you want to discuss anything else related to Borderlands 3, please also use the official thread.

I thought the dialogue was mostly okay, but the humor is the worst in the series. The campaign story didn't do much for me either. And it's pretty bad when the game makes you hate a "good" character more than the actual villains. The actions taken by Ava and the comments she makes after opening the first vault were nothing short of character destroying, and then the game just wants to act like none of that was a big deal. No personal reflection, no heartfelt apology, just nothing.

And then all of a sudden, she's a real member of the team, and I'm supposed to like her now. I'm supposed to be happy for her that she gains siren powers in the end. It was just awful.

And WTF is up with Lilith at the ending? How crazy vague was that? What did any of that even mean? Just horrible in terms of closure, or even basic understanding.

The really weird thing is I felt pretty good about the chances of Borderlands 3 telling a quality story, after I played the newest Borderlands 2 DLC that served as the prequel to Borderlands 3. It wasn't very funny either, but the villain and story in that little DLC was much better than what we ended up with in this game.

The game is still loads of fun, but I hope the DLC episodes lineup with the quality of the Borderlands 2 DLC rather than Borderlands 3. Some of the story beats were interesting as well, and could have worked better with better writing. There were also some decent side-plots that were still part of the main campaign. The events surrounding Ice T's character and Sir Hammerlock were both pretty good.

And where were Axton, Salvador, and Gaige? Not to mention all the characters from Tales of The Borderlands that were missing.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Anthony burch was borderlands to me (1, 2, tps, and the telltale game). Not having him onboard because randy is a cheapskate and a dick meant i was not going to buy this game without great reviews wrt writing.

It might sound silly, but i loved the pre borderlands 3 games because of the writing. And tiny Tiny was my all time faV. Anyone know if the voice actress (last name Burch) is related to the writer?

Last edited:

D_Dark

Neo Member
Borderlands 1 was pretty fun, I found the humor nice and it was spaced out. None of that shouting voice acting nonsense like in 2. Hate 2, it's atrocious. It was awful enough I gave up, and not for the lack of trying. Tried it several times, just couldn't bear all the noise and the god awful humour. And ofc. everything only got worse from there. Was holding out hope that 3 would go back to the style of 1 as Anthony Burch was out, but guess not..

I still go back and play Borderlands 1 from time to time. Borderlands 1 is an outlier from the franchise. It's atmospheric and toned down, I am glad it turned out the way it did, I atleast have 1 single player looter shooter I can enjoy. And Zombie Island of dr. ned is one of the finest dlcs ever.

V4skunk

Banned
Borderlands 1 was pretty fun, I found the humor nice and it was spaced out. None of that shouting voice acting nonsense like in 2. Hate 2, it's atrocious. It was awful enough I gave up, and not for the lack of trying. Tried it several times, just couldn't bear all the noise and the god awful humour. And ofc. everything only got worse from there. Was holding out hope that 3 would go back to the style of 1 as Anthony Burch was out, but guess not..

I still go back and play Borderlands 1 from time to time. Borderlands 1 is an outlier from the franchise. It's atmospheric and toned down, I am glad it turned out the way it did, I atleast have 1 single player looter shooter I can enjoy. And Zombie Island of dr. ned is one of the finest dlcs ever.
I disagree.
Borderlands 2 is far superior to the first game.

Anthony burch was borderlands to me (1, 2, tps, and the telltale game). Not having him onboard because randy is a cheapskate and a dick meant i was not going to buy this game without great reviews wrt writing.

It might sound silly, but i loved the pre borderlands 3 games because of the writing. And tiny Tiny was my all time faV. Anyone know if the voice actress (last name Burch) is related to the writer?

Brother and sister. I believe they both got started in the industry in large part due to their web series, Hey Ash Whatcha Playin'.

This man not being involved is why Borderlands 3 just isn't very funny. He's also responsible for Borderlands 2 not being very funny, if you don't find that game very funny, but I do find that game pretty funny, so I miss him.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
There are a lot of hidden jokes and references that can be easily missed or misconstrued.

For instance on Eden 6 the hidden target is 3 people named Billie. I’m fairly sure it’s a reference to the 3 Billy Goats Gruff, but I’m probably missing something.

As far as character development goes, I find that if you play through the story coop you miss out on a lot of lines and retorts that help develop your character while talking to others.

My Moze single player seemed way more fleshed out then my Amara multi one and that’s because you only get to hear their quips if you are the one turning in the quest or initiating the conversation.

It can feel like a very different game when playing solo, and you can appreciate some of the more subtle humour when not rushing through with friends.

Mista

Banned
That ending was straight out of Hollywood. Bye guys I’m going to sacrifice myself for the sake of everyone. I wasn’t moved sorry, this shit is so generic

Loved the game though and now grinding towards 50 with friends. TVH mode isn’t co-opable right?

That ending was straight out of Hollywood. Bye guys I’m going to sacrifice myself for the sake of everyone. I wasn’t moved sorry, this shit is so generic

Loved the game though and now grinding towards 50 with friends. TVH mode isn’t co-opable right?

No, you can play co-op in TVHM, but there isn't any level scaling. See this post for full details:

Codes 208

The humor was pretty good. Had a few memorable chuckles. But overall the story (while still really good) felt somewhat lacking compared to 2. 2 just had an overall better set up of characters and I still greatly prefer Handsome Jack over the Calypso Twins.

Still way better than 1 and Pre-Sequel though.
its likely just setting up for the inevitable expansions.

brap

Banned
This man not being involved is why Borderlands 3 just isn't very funny.
Him not being involved is a small glimmer of hope that the game isn't unfunny dogshit like the first 3. Unless you think yelling, stupid words, and 5 year old memes are the pinnacle of humor.

Dontero

Banned
Villains were annoying which is worse than bad.
But there were plenty of other side quests that were quite funny. That toilet and AI one was amazing.

Maya dying and Lilith literally bring me no joy or sadness just meh. How died died was just stupid pretty much like most of main story. Main gripe with it was that it was very similar to legendary Diablo3 story where main villain just streams into your brain that "you will never defeat me" after you defeat him time and time again. So here is a bit of switcharo, our allies beat twins every time but then like in bad comix villains just get more powerful out of nowhere and voila they win.

It would be fine it it would be funny but it was not.

Desudzer10

Don't care what people say. I've been a fan of the series since day 1 back in 2009 and have played the games religiously, and this is the first time i ever cried over an ending of a game....damn the feels.

Saw that bro thank you very much

I posted this in the other thread as well, but it turns out, this isn't as bad as I thought it was. Turning on Mayhem level 1 already matches the quests, enemies, and loot to your current level. So basically, just don't play True Vault Hunter Mode until you're at the level cap. Then you can start again with the campaign being even harder, and continue working on those guardian ranks.

Last edited:

This mimics my thoughts exactly.

Well, now I know why I hate anything after BL1.

Last edited:
And WTF is up with Lilith at the ending? How crazy vague was that? What did any of that even mean? Just horrible in terms of closure, or even basic understanding.

90% chance she's alive, and her fate is left "ambiguous" at the end of the base game in order to set up the plot for a DLC or something for Borderlands 4.

Top Bottom