• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your top 5 Wii games?

mrmickfran

The Wii received way too much hate. That system had some godly games. Here we give our top 5.

Mine are:
The-Legend-of-Zelda-Twilight-Princess-Nintendo-Wii.jpg

5.The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Slow opening aside, Twilight Princess was an amazing adventure. You just gotta have the patience to get though the intro. Secrets upon secrets, best sidekick, and the best dungeons in the series. Also had an incredible soundtrack (Hyrule Field, Sacred Grove, Hidden Villiage, Midna's Lament)
Probably my 4th favorite Zelda after Wind Waker, Ocarina, and A Link Between Worlds.

4.Donkey Kong Country Returns - This game brought me back to my childhood (even though I never played DKC as a kid). I guess it was the creative levels, the tight gameplay, and the pure unforgiving challenge that made me feel like a kid when playing this game. Retro needs to stick with making platformers, forget Metroid.
Some of my favorite levels: Tidal Terror, Music Madness, Switcheroo.

3.Sin & Punishment: Star Successor - My God, where do I even start with this game? Do I start with its simple, yet difficult to master gameplay system? Do I start with the plethora of amazing boss battles? Or do I start with showing you an amazing display of high level gameplay footage? One fellow gaffer described this game in the best way possible:
sprsk said:
I thought Uncharted 2 was going to be this year's thrillride game to play, but man, I was wrong. I was way wrong. Sin and Punishment 2 grabs a hold of your dick and won't let go until it's done with you. Every level is just jam fucking packed with the coolest shit you will see in a game this year, maybe even this decade (lol, sure why not?). Just when you thought Treasure has run out of ideas, they totally fucking flip the switch and say "oh yeah, now you've gotta do THIS crazy shit!" and you're like "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!" but somehow you make it through and you are left for only a brief moment thanking your lucky stars until shit goes absolutely nuts again.
Treasure's best game, no arguments. Game is Godlike, wish it sold more.

2. Xenoblade Chronicles - My favorite RPG of all time. Whether it was the exploration, the story, or that addicting combat system, Xenoblade had me hooked for such a long time. The best part of the game was opening up new areas and getting to search every nook and cranny, while having absolutely incredible music(Mechonis Field, Gaur Plains, Agniratha) to listen to. My first playthrough of this game was quite an experience and is something that I would love to relive. I am absolutely hyped for Xenoblade X.

#6 on my top 10 favorite games of all time.

1. Super Mario Galaxy - An absolute masterpiece. I remember playing this game for the first time and being wowed by everything that my eyes were witnessing. It was the only game of its kind at the time, there was nothing else like it. Every minute of this game has more creativity in it than the majority of today's games combined. It felt like a Disney movie.
And OH MY GOD THE MUSIC: Good Egg Galaxy, Space Junk Galaxy, Battlerock Galaxy, Buoy Base Galaxy, Bower's Galaxy Reactor

#5 in my top 10 games of all time

And you guys?

Ryng_tolu

Banned
1) Super Mario Galaxy 2
2) Super Mario Galaxy
3) Super Smash Bros Brawl
4) The legend of Zelda: twilight princess
5) Xenoblade Chronicles

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
1. Xenoblade
2. Twilight Princess
3. The Last Story
4. Arc Rise Fantasia
5. Metroid Prime Trilogy

honorable mention: Pandora's Tower

Toki767

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Xenoblade Chronicles
4. Super Smash Bros Brawl
5. The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword

I could switch around either Galaxy game for the top spot though.

Boney

Banned
I know games can speak for themselves but try to at least add a bit to the discussion guys.

Gush about them!

Richie

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Best 3D platformer I've ever played, bar none. Creativity up the wazoo, no level went on without something new to try out, THE Mario game as far as I'm concerned.

Donkey Kong Country Returns - I'm undecided if this or its sequel get the crown for best 2D platformer I've sank my teeth into, but at its time it was definitely the best.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl - Because despite some personal disappointment in the title it still shines as a game chock full with content that we played like crazy until its sequels were released.

Sin & Punishment: Star Successor - This was to the Wii what The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 were to the Wii U for me. Absolutely delicious insanity from head to toes, the cheapest title I bought for the Wii also turned out to be one of its best.

I don't really have a fifth title that jumps to my mind like that, but, I have to give a nod to The Godfather: Blackhand Edition, because damn if I didn't have so much fun with that title. Graphics were far from impressive but those controls made all the difference and it was in overall a pretty polished GTA-ish experience, with RPG elements and plenty of content to discover.

beril

In no particular order

Little King's Story
Punch Out
New Super Mario Bros Wii
Super Mario Galaxy 1&2
Xenoblade

Hero

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Xenoblade Chronicles
3. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
4. Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
5. Punch Out

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
3. Xenoblade Chronicles
4. Super Mario Galaxy
5. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Honorable mention to DKCR 'cause choosing #5 was tough.

Metroid Prime Trilogy
No More Heroes
Muramasa
Twilight Princess
Tatsunoko vs Capcom

Not in any real order. I kinda wish TvC wasn't a Wii game in retrospect, it deserved more of a player base.
And I prefer MPT's controls, set the sensitivity on high and it's amazing to play.

1. Super Mario Galaxy - the sequel might be better in platforming challenge/difficulty, but loses in everything else
2. Zelda: Twilight Princess (counting as a GCN game, since this list is hard enough already)
2. Metroid Prime 3 - or trilogy, but 3 on its own is still beautiful. Controls are god-tier, as for anything with the pointer (i.e. Resident Evil 4, Sin & Punishment)
3. Silent Hill Shattered Memories - how both motion controls and video game story telling need to be done, even if it doesn't classify as classic Silent Hill
4. No More Heroes - janky, but I've finished it a dozen times - last GHM classic
5. Rune Factory Frontier - ridiculous amount of content to discover without any kind of hand holding

1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
2. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
3. Super Mario Galaxy
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
5. Mario Kart Wii

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Smash Bros Brawl
4. Warioware Smooth Moves
5. Wii Sports

Not including Resident Evil 4 which is a superb port. Also conflicted if I should include Twilight Princess, one of the few Zelda games that I actually got into. Anyhoo Wii is one of those consoles that REALLY left me cold. By the time games like Donkey Kong released I was already so done with the thing and never got to play it. That said Super Mario Galaxy represents the type of Nintendo that I love and rarely get to experience nowdays.

Linkyn

I agree that the Wii had a killer library. It gets a lot of shit for the mountain of shovelware, but there were many gems hidden in-between. In no-particular order (because I honestly don't know)

Donkey Kong Country Returns - This deserves a mention simply for bringing back the franchise and the part it played in getting us Tropical Freeze, but even just based on its own merit, it is worthy of praise. I think I played New Super Mario Bros. Wii more and probably enjoyed that one more, too, but I recognise that a large part of that was 4-player co-op. Playing by myself, DKCR is the better one.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - The build-up to Twilight Princess was huge for me, in part due to it being the first game I was genuinely hyped for (before 2004, I was young enough for games to just suddenly be in store), and it was also one of the few times I felt like the wait was worth it. Though it hasn't aged particularly well, I really love what it tried to do, going for a grander scope and darker theme. I didn't want to put both Zeldas on my shortlist, and TP wins over SS because I find it easier to replay.

Super Mario Galaxy - Similar reasoning to the Zeldas. In pure gameplay terms, the streamlined second Galaxy may be better, but I've always preferred the original space epic. Also, I adore the Galaxy soundtracks. If music could give you orgasms, this would do it.

Metroid Prime Trilogy - I absolutely love Prime and Echoes, and while Corruption is easily the weakest of the trilogy, it is still better than most FPS / adventure games. Getting all three at the same time may be cheating, but it was either going to be this or simply Corruption, and 3 > 1.

Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition - I played the shit out of the Gamecube version, and even more so the Wii version. RE4 was the first game I double-dipped on, and in terms of number of playthroughs my most played game of all time. I like to start it up maybe once a year and just go to town. Words can hardly express how much I love this game.

AniHawk

1. super mario galaxy 2 - perhaps the best game of the generation and one that plays with 3d space in really inventive ways. while i appreciate the marked step up it is over its predecessor in every conceivable way, i appreciated even more that the back 120 stars were challenges based on your knowledge of the level design. it turns the first part of the game into something of a very clever tutorial.

2. the legend of zelda: twilight princess - snappiest version of the game for sure. considerably less downtime in pulling up shit from the menu meant more time focused on puzzles and exploration. the dungeon design in this game is the best nintendo's accomplished in this series and i love the art direction and general tone. i suppose the one thing i would like to see is what this game was like when it was still oot 2.

3. xenoblade chronicles - the sheer scale of xenoblade blew my mind. i was already impressed by the starting area of the game, but going out into the vast grasslands of the bionis was a huge surprise. even better was being able to explore things in the far off distance, climb mountains, and defeat enemies. at 120+ hours, this is the most time i've ever put into a single-player game's story mode, and the time flew by.

4. new super mario bros. wii - what a surprise. i think the level design here is my favorite in a 2d mario (unless nslu counts). it strikes the right balance between accessibility, challenge, and length.

5. sin & punishment: star successor - completing the incredibly short sin & punishment: successor to earth reminded me of just how good star successor was. an on-rails shooter with a pretty decent length and plenty of variation. the wii remote pointer controls are fucking great too.

runner-ups: zack and wiki, sonic colors, and metroid prime 3: corruption

Rodin

1) Super Mario Galaxy
2) Xenoblade Chronicles
3) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
4) Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
5) The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Highest to Lowest

1. Mario Galaxy 2
2. Donkey Kong Country Returns
3. Rhythm Heaven Fever
4. Mario Galaxy
5. Metroid Prime Trilogy

Those plus Kirby's Epic Yarn and the two Pikmin remakes are the only Wii games I still own, so this wasn't too hard. Trilogy would be higher on the list if it wasn't mostly non-Wii games. Never played Xenoblade or Sin & Punishment which everyone seems to like here, but I hated S&P64 and can't afford Xenoblade. Would never put Skyward Sword too high up there, and Twilight Princess is kinda ruined by the intro alone.

Edit: Actually, I think I have Punchout somewhere around here too. It's a fun game!

1. Xenoblade Chronicles
- This game was everything that I had no clue I wanted. The exploration, the combat, the characters, the hours spent obsessing over menus and stats. What an experience. I spent 100+ hours on this thing and then came back for the 3DS version. I will gladly shove this game onto everyone even remotely interested in gaming.

2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
- Even better than the first (for people who don't care much about hub worlds, anyways), and damn near perfect. And Yoshi is back in full force after a terrible performance in Sunshine. The only real bad thing I can say about it is that those Green Stars are a bunch of rot.

3. Super Mario Galaxy
- How could I not? Less refined, less crazy, but just so good.

4. Donkey Kong Country Returns
- It loses points for waggle and the subpar boss fights, but this still another masterpiece from Retro. As someone who never really got into the original DKC trilogy, this really clicked for me.

5. Pandora's Tower
- A game tailor-made for the Wiimote, this game is part action RPG, part dungeon crawler, and part dating sim. When you're not sweet-talking your lady friend, your ripping guts out of monsters and feeding them to her. Who knew that besides providing an engaging adventure, this game also gives valuable tips for wooing women? It's almost too good to be true.

Honorable mention: Punch-Out!! I haven't played S&P yet, but it's on my to-do list.

RPGCrazied

Probably Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Xenoblade Chronicles, Metroid Prime Trilogy and the Mario Galaxy games.

megalowho

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
4. Rhythm Heaven Fever
5. Trauma Team

Didn't get far into Xenoblade but I liked what I played well enough, would probably make my top 5 if I'd spent more time with it. Also played Twilight Princess on a Gamecube, wasn't a Wii title for me.

1. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
2. Wii Sports
3. Sonic Colors
4. Wii Play
5. Oh gosh, lots of stuff I could put here. Maybe DKCR or something like that. EDIT: Rayman Origins is my answer for this spot. Played it on Vita first, which is why I forgot about it.

But let me just say that if you are reading this and haven't played TvC, getting a Wii just to play it will cost you maybe $100 if you go used on the console and get a pro controller, and IT. IS. WORTH IT. It's the most fantastic game that no one played from last generation.

1. Metroid Prime Trilogy: just because.
2. Mario Kart Wii: it wasn't the best kart but for this hardware it was great.
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
4. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princes
5. Pik-Min 2

a close one to call would have been Animal Crossing

maxcriden

Agonizing even *considering* this. So many honorable mentions *and* so many games I haven't even played. Shit. Ok. Just off the cuff, okay? Don't hold me to these, mrmickfran :)

I'm not feeling at my most loquacious, so I am going to try to sum up my reasonings in .gif form:

1) SMG

2) Skyward Sword

3) Rayman Origins

4) Kirby's Epic Yarn

5) SMG2

I'm not even going to get into honorable mentions. Shit. Ok. I'll do it. In no order:

-Boy and his Blob
0tfImiv.gif

-Kirby's Return to Dreamland
-NSMB Wii
-DKC Returns if you're good at shaking
-Super Paper Mario
-Kirby's Dream Collection
-Wii Fit (and Wii Fit +)
-Klonoa

I'm sure there are a lot more, too, but let's leave it at that.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Lots of hidden gems on the Wii, though my top 5 is pretty obvious stuff.

1) Xenoblade Chronicles - one of my favorite games ever.
2) Super Mario Galaxy - both games are fantastic.
3) Sin & Punishment - A crazy good action game, and basically the last gasp for Treasure.
4) Klonoa - Excellent remake of a classic.
5) Donkey Kong Country Returns - Not as good as Tropical Freeze, but still crazy good, even with the moronic control scheme.

PetrCobra

So many great games that it's really hard to pick five. I'll try anyway. No particular order.

Xenoblade Chronicles
Metroid Prime Trilogy (convenient that these games came out as a trilogy, also it makes the compilation a must-list title)
Warioware Smooth Moves
Resident Evil 4 (such a well adapted port IMO, also I really love the game)
de Blob (I wanted to list Okami, NMH, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, SMG and many others, but this one I enjoyed just as much as any of those games, and it's probably not going to be named as many times, so for the sake of originality, this is my fifth game)

mrmickfran

Agonizing even *considering* this. So many honorable mentions *and* so many games I haven't even played. Shit. Ok. Just off the cuff, okay? Don't hold me to these, mrmickfran :)

I'm not feeling at my most loquacious, so I am going to try to sum up my reasonings in .gif form:

2) Skyward Sword
It's not enough that you listed Skyward Sword, but also a gif of one of the worst parts of the game.

Max pls.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Great opening post!

Here is my list:

5) Super Smash Bros Brawl - Snake and Sonic - what more needs to be said.

4) Metroid Prime Trilogy - Three amazing games in one great package. Essensial.

3) New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 2D Mario returned with glory to a home console for the first time in almost 20 years - and sparked a 2D-revolution that is still ongoing.

2) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - The pinnacle of the 3D-Zelda games, the game that got me to buy a Wii - and it was so worth it. Among my top 10 to 15 games ever.

1) Super Mario Galaxy - quite simply one of the best games ever, and the best game of last gen.

Blue Calx

1. Mario Kart Wii
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All Stars
4. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
5. Super Paper Mario

maxcriden

It's not enough that you listed Skyward Sword, but also a gif of one of the worst parts of the game.

Max pls.

It really vied for #1. It could be #1.

How can you not love Scrapper? He's adorable and hilarious!

tumblr_m39oooVyG41qa7ubto1_500.gif

The Ancient Robots are the best new Zelda characters in years.

5. Mario Kart Wii
4. Xenoblade Chronicles
3. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
2. Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
1. Super Mario Galaxy 2

I want to! There's just so much to play!

2) Skyward Sword

I'm not a fan of Skyward Sword, but I can recognize its finer points. That gif displays possibly what are several of the worst things about that game.

maxcriden

I'm not a fan of Skyward Sword, but I can recognize its finer points. That gif displays possibly what are several of the worst things about that game.

Haha. That's fair. As someone who is a fan of Fi and Scrapper, we will have to agree to disagree, but I'm curious what else you disliked in that .gif.

KevinCow

Banned
1) Metroid Prime Trilogy ; Is this cheating? This feels like cheating. It's three games in one, and three of the best games ever at that. You know what? I don't care. You just can't beat the amount of value you got out of this one disc with a bitchin' steel case.

2) Donkey Kong Country Returns ; My two favorite trilogies of all time are Metroid Prime and DKC. Then Nintendo announced that the developers of Metroid Prime were going to make a new DKC, and I almost shit my pants out of joy. Then the game came out and, shockingly, it lived up to the originals in almost every way (the only way it didn't was the music, which wasn't bad, just not a transcendent masterpiece like the original games' soundtracks).

3) Super Mario Galaxy ; What can you say about this game? Tight controls, wonderful level design, excellent music. And that's without even mentioning the mind-blowing gravity mechanics. I was only 8 when Mario 64 came out, so I didn't really fully grasp how innovative it was at the time, but I imagine the feeling of playing Mario Galaxy for the first time is as close as I'll ever get to the feeling people older than me had playing Mario 64 for the first time.

4) Zelda: Twilight Princess ; I bought the Wii on launch day just for this game, and it was worth it. Best 3D Zelda, in my opinion. As far as the Wii version goes, the waggle sword controls took a little bit of getting used to, but the pointer aiming with the bow made it worth it.

Edit: OHSHIT, forgot about WiiWare. Sorry Kirby, bumping you down to Honorable Mentions.

5) Mega Man 9 ; They brought back 8-bit Mega Man, and they came back swinging. This is the best 2D Mega Man in my opinion. Great levels, great bosses, great weapons, great music, it just nails everything you want out of a Mega Man game.

Honorable mentions:

*) Kirby's Epic Yarn ; This is the cutest game ever. Period. No contest. So what if it's stupidly easy? It makes me happy when I play it, and that's all I care about.

*) Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; Not quite the revelatory experience that the first was, but a fine 3D platformer all around.

*) Excite Truck ; The oft forgotten second Nintendo launch title. While I was never a huge fan of the tilt controls (I'd kill to play this game with an analog stick), the sheer excitement EXCITE of the game more makes up for it.

*) ExciteBots ; "Let's take Excite Truck, and add even more insanity!" And thus, you get PIE FACE! and SUPER SANDWICH! This game is really weird, and that's half its charm. Again, I'd kill to play with an analog stick, but I still managed to enjoy it enough with tilt controls.

*) Red Steel 2 ; It's a shame this game was called Red Steel, because I imagine that drove a lot of potential customers away. This game is the awesome motion-controlled gun and sword game that everyone imagined when they first revealed the Wiimote, and the game that everyone though the first Red Steel was going to be. The Cowboy/Ninja aesthetic is just icing on the cake.

*) Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition ; It's RE4, but with better controls. What more needs to be said?

*) Wario Land: Shake It! ; A really good and frequently overlooked 2D platformer with amazing 2D animations and a sweet soundtrack.

*) New Play Control: Pikmin 1 and 2 ; I liked the Pikmin games, but I never really got used to their controls. This game fixed that. The ability to aim in a different direction than you're moving completely changes these games for the better.

*) Deadly Creatures ; Alright, I admit, this isn't exactly an amazing game. But the novelty of playing as a spider and a scorpion who do God of War style QTE finishing moves is just too much to not mention. I think it's also worth mentioning that, this game has some excellent atmospheric sound design, and the insects look shockingly realistic for a Wii game.

*) Klonoa ; I never played the original Klonoa, though I played the PS2 game and the GBA games, so I was definitely interested in this remake. It's been a while since I played it so I'm not sure what to say about it, but I remember it being pretty good!

*) Boom Blox/Bash Party ; Stupid fun as party games. Really simple controls, and really satisfying to throw a ball and watch it explode and send blocks flying everywhere. My friends and I especially liked the mode where you had to destroy each other's castles.

*) Super Smash Bros. Brawl ; Yeah, okay, tripping and Meta Knight and floatiness and all that stuff... but YOU CAN PLAY SONIC VS. MARIO HOLY SHIT!

*) Sonic Colors ; A good 3D Sonic game, holy shit!

*) New Super Mario Bros. Wii ; The aesthetic and music could be better, but the level design is top notch.

*) Sin & Punishment: Star Successor ; I never beat this game, but I only needed to get to the part where I
REFLECTED THE MOON BY HITTING IT WITH MY SWORD
to know that it's awesome.

*) Rhythm Heaven Fever ;

The Wii was a pretty damn good console in retrospect.

Top Bottom