• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your top 5 Wii games?

1. Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
2. Xenoblade Chronicles
3. Mario Galaxy games
4. No More Heroes games
5. Metroid Prime Trilogy

Bonus:

6. Super Smash Brothers Brawl
7. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

I don't even think I've played 5 Wii games. I've always been curious about the Galaxy series, but the control scheme of the whole console turned me off from day one and I was just never interested.

shauntu

1. Xenoblade Chronicles
2. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
4. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
5. Super Mario Galaxy

I've been gaming since I was 3 (I'm 28), but there was something about the Wii that was just freaking magical for me. I think it was that I was really, really into all the pre-Wii hype. It's the first console I paid for with my own money and got at midnight.

Here are my top five in no particular order:

Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
This is not the greatest game in the world. In fact, it's clunky as hell in some spots. However, I loved the hell out of this game. That atmosphere was perfect. It was sad, yet strangely happy at the same time. It was weird and different. I adored it.

Kirby's Epic Yarn
This game is beautiful. It's super easy, which I don't really mind. I think I played this through in one sitting, and I still go back to it whenever I get the chance. It's adorable and creative. I adore it.

Excite Trucks/Excite Bots
I'm grouping these together as one. I got Excite Bikes on launch, and holy heck did I enjoy it. I think I put an insane number of hours into it. I loved Excite Bots too. I'd put on some kickass music and zone out for a while. Great fun. Great sense of speed.

Super Paper Mario
I'm not huge into RPGs. However, I love the Paper Mario series, as long as we pretend Sticker Star never happened. I found this game funny and I really loved the 3D/2D mechanics.

GoldenEye 007
I never actually played the first one on the N64. I didn't actually complete the campaign on this one until a few years after it came out. However, this was the first online competitive multiplayer game I ever played. Ever. Like...ever. I think I put in 400 hours into it. I really loved it. I don't know what happened to my disc. Not sure if the servers are still up anyway....

Honorable mentions:

No More Heroes 1/2

Wii Sports--my dad was 80 when this game came out. He never played a game in his life. Night of release, he stayed up until 2:00am playing bowling with me. Its one of the greatest memories I have before he got sick. I'll always remember how freaking happy he was to get a strike the second time he played it.

Josh5890

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Wii Sports/Resort
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
4. Metroid Prime Trilogy
5. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Most underrated gaming library in history. Anybody who missed out because "hurr durr SD grafx" needs to check it out.

1. Super Mario Galaxy

2. The Last Story

3. Xenoblade

4. Kirby Return to Dreamland

5. Wario Land: Shake It

Pharaun

1. Xenoblade Chronicles - it was the best rpg of last gen, how could I not make it my number one.

2. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - the vibrant color palette used in this game is excellent, it also helps that it has the best design for Zelda and one of the best designs for Link.

3. Super Mario Galaxy - I've never really been a fan of platformers, but this game is flat out anazing. I can't rate 2 because I'm only about halfway through it.

4. No More Heroes - sure it has plenty of flaws and NMH2 is a more polished game, but Suda51 made a classic here.

5. Metroid Prime 3 - Wii controller aiming in a first person Metroid game? Why yes that will make it even better than the stellar previous games.

Honorable mention

Super Paper Mario - it gets a bad rap for not being the follow up to The Thousand Year Door that everyone wanted, but judged on its own merits it's a fun hybrid platformers/rpg. I spent many hours playing this with my wife and kids.

The Last Story - a solid jrpg in a gen that didn't get that many.

Lost in Shadow - an interesting game and I really liked the game mechanics with changing light sources to change the shadows.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii - a fun throwback to old school Mario, the multiplayer aspect was a lot of fun too.

Punch Out - a great revival of an old franchise.

Rythm Heaven Feaver - I'm a sucker for rythym games and this one was a blast.

Pinky

Banned
1. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
4. Metroid Prime Trilogy
5. Zelda: Skyward Sword

elhav

5. NSMB Wii
4. A boy and his blob
3. DK:CR
2. Super mario galaxy 2
1. Super mario galaxy

The galaxy games are not only my favourite games on the Wii, but also probably my favourite games of the last generation.

DK:CR is the best 2d platformer I have ever played.

Most underrated gaming library in history. Anybody who missed out because "hurr durr SD grafx" needs to check it out.

1. Super Mario Galaxy

2. The Last Story

3. Xenoblade

4. Kirby Return to Dreamland

5. Wario Land: Shake It

GameCube is the underrated library. The Wii library wasn't that great in the end.

Labrys

Trauma Team
Fragile Dreams
No More Heroes 2
Rune Factory Frontier
Super Mario Galaxy

I really liked the third party support for it.

jb1234

1: Xenoblade Chronicles - Best JRPG of last gen.
2: Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Took everything in Galaxy and made it even better.
3: Super Mario Galaxy - Mario perfection. Amazing music too.
4: Donkey Kong Country Returns - Grand fun. Tropical Freeze was better but Returns is no slouch.
5: Metroid Prime Trilogy - Lots and lots of Metroid nirvana on this disc.

I'm relatively new to the Wii (yes, just picked one up recently). I would add Batman: The Brave and the Bold to this discussion, but not sure if it is Top 5 worthy.

I also like both Excite games and Mario Kart. Any other good racing games in Wii? As a long time NFS, I'm curious about Nitro. Don't know what if any other racing games though.

GameCube is the underrated library. The Wii library wasn't that great in the end.
I think I'd agree with this. Obviously the games that are good on it are really good (Mario, DK, Trilogy) but the rest range from okay down. I may be completely blanking on something, but I think I prefer the Wii U iteration of every Wii game where applicable, it's just like the better Wii. The GameCube still stands on its own in contrast.

Wii U over Brawl, MK8 is a million times better than MKWii, Tropical Freeze over Returns (if only for the music), NSMBU over Wii, I even would rather go play 3DWorld right now than sit through the tutorials and stuff in a Mario Galaxy game.

Randomizer

1. Mario Galaxy - Whilst the sequel may have the better level design, the initial impact of the original left more of an impression on me. Beautiful art, music, graphics, design and controls.
2. Mario Galaxy 2 - Everything the original had and in many ways more.
3. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - It was toss up here, both have problems but there is too much good they can't be discounted. Anyway TP has the better dungeons, music, side quests, minigames and overworld.
4. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Beautiful art style, graphics, best combat and bosses in the series, great music, dungeons are still fantastic.
5. Donkey Kong Country Returns - Probably my third favourite 2D platformer of all time behind SMB3 and SMW. Amazing level design, gameplay and a nice difficultly level surprising in this day and age.

Not very exciting :/ so I'll add some
all :p
of my honourable mentions. The Wii definitely had the most unique home console library last gen.

Xenoblade, Sin and Punishment 2, No More Heroes 1&2, The Last Story, Mario Kart Wii, Smash Bros Brawl, Zack and Wiki, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, Super Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 3, Kirby Return to Dreamland, NSMB Wii, Monster Hunter Tri, Muramasa, Rhythm Heaven Fever, Wii Sports/Resorts, Tatsunoko Vs Capcom, Punch out, Trauma Team, Sonic Colors, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Mega Man 9, Cave Story, Castlevania Rebirth, World of Goo, Little King's Story, Rayman Origins, Another Code: R, Fragile Dreams, Warioware Smooth Moves.

Gamecube is remembered highly, Wii is certainly more underrated and often judged harshly.

i can't choose in order. this was and is my favorite system of all time. too many good games.

super mario galaxy1&2 : best 3d marios

twilight princess: Best 3d zelda

re4 wii: best action adventure

xenoblade; the most awesome rpg

no more heroes: most awesome odd game.

AniHawk

2007 was the only decent year for the system. After that 3rd party support disappeared entirely and Nintendo releases became sparse and of questionable quality.

third-party support hit its peak in 2009-2010. that's when there was klonoa, a boy and his blob, little king's story, sonic colors, no more heroes 2, and other good stuff (supposedly - i've never actually played goldeneye, dead space extraction, tatsunoko vs. capcom, etc).

this was also the time nintendo was releasing new super mario bros wii, super mario galaxy 2, sin & punishment: star successor, and excitebots. i think that trumps 2007's lineup of fire emblem, smg, and metroid prime 3.

I don't even think I've played 5 Wii games. I've always been curious about the Galaxy series, but the control scheme of the whole console turned me off from day one and I was just never interested.

It's one of those games that would be a billion times better if it let you use the Pro Controller. This will be a very minority opinion, but it's a beautiful game that has really frustrating controls. I'm pretty good at platformers, and I feel very much like I have no real control over my jumps (or, if I'm on a level that demands gyro controls, no real control over my turning). I find Galaxy (1 more than 2) to be a frustrating exercise that I wish I liked more than I do.

1.) Fire Emblem
2.) Xenoblade
3.) Mario Galaxy 2
4.) Mario Kart
5.) Resident Evil 4

Honorable Mentions: Mario Galaxy 1, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, heck I could make a list 15-20 deep.

elfinke

1. Boom Blox
2. Rayman Raving Rabbids
3. Little King's Story
4. Mario Striker's Charged Football
5. Wii Sports

Others that could easily fit into the 4th or 5th spot:

Muramasa
Anno 1440
Madworld
HoTD: Overkill

Tremendous system, even if you had to dig around, or have the correct combination of circumstances to really bring out the best in it.

zeroroute

Banned
In no order

TvC
Kart Wii
Chocobo's Dungeon
Galaxy
Brawl

Honorable mentions

Castle of Shikigami 3
Rhythm Heaven Fever
Sin and Punishment Star Successor

I'm exhausted as all hell so I'll be going the gif route to show why I love the games so much and have chosen them.

5. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
547swP.gif

4. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
large.gif

3. Mad World
17t29qsllw10tgif.gif

2. Kirby's Epic Yarn
tumblr_mck04eeKK91rwf59fo1_500.gif

1. Metroid Prime 3
latest

ryseing

Only one mention of Red Steel 2, and that was only an honorable mention. Damn shame RS2 never comes up on these sorts of lists as it is brilliant. Best use of motion controls by any game to date. Ubi realized that 1:1 motion isn't a good idea because most people suck at swinging stuff, so the combat system takes your mediocre skills and turns them into an exaggerated ballet of mayhem. The other standout portion of RS2 is the setting. West meets Japan is on the border of being cliche now but such a setting works for what the gameplay design is going for with the mix of samurai moves and gunplay.

Also, the train sequence. Right up there with Uncharted 2 for best use of a train.

Red Steel 2 is amazing, a shame people didnt give it a chance because of the first one .

apart from that well, Galaxy 1 and 2 , Kirby: Return to Dream Land and Wario Land: Shake It!

EulaCapra

First-Party:
1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Xenoblade Chronicles
3. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
4. Wii Sports
5. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Third-Party:
1. Boom Blox: Bash Party
2. Okami
3. Let's Tap
4. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
5. TV Show King 2

Only one mention of Red Steel 2, and that was only an honorable mention. Damn shame RS2 never comes up on these sorts of lists as it is brilliant. Best use of motion controls by any game to date. Ubi realized that 1:1 motion isn't a good idea because most people suck at swinging stuff, so the combat system takes your mediocre skills and turns them into an exaggerated ballet of mayhem. The other standout portion of RS2 is the setting. West meets Japan is on the border of being cliche now but such a setting works for what the gameplay design is going for with the mix of samurai moves and gunplay.

Also, the train sequence. Right up there with Uncharted 2 for best use of a train.

I love Red Steel 2. I also liked the first one as well, but I know I'm definitely in the minority there.

I also loved The Conduit and The Conduit 2. I really enjoyed the hell out of those. I started getting into FPS because of the Wii.

upandaway

1. Monster Hunter Tri - I played this for hundreds of hours, as well as spending hundreds of hours thinking, reading, and watching more. It was my first MH, some of my most magical time in gaming

And in no order

Xenoblade
Mario Kart Wii
Smash Bros Brawl
Wario Land: The Shake Dimension - the game transforms when you try going for 100%

mrmickfran

It really vied for #1. It could be #1.

How can you not love Scrapper? He's adorable and hilarious!

tumblr_m39oooVyG41qa7ubto1_500.gif

The Ancient Robots are the best new Zelda characters in years.

Now you posted an even worse part. Climbing through Eldin again on Hero mode was sooo tedious.

Galaxy 2 is still an amazing game for sure, but years out from both there's a tightness to Galaxy 1's level design that's still unmatched to this day
I 100% agree.

it's okay to have an opinion, but it's wrong

Dude, that's, like, the best Zelda in the series. In my opinion, of course.

It's not enough that you listed Skyward Sword, but also a gif of one of the worst parts of the game.

Max pls.

Do people here even understand that someone can have different opinion? D:

Anyways...

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. TLoZ: Skyward Sword
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
4. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
5. Wario Land: The Shake Dimension

Makeda

Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
This is not the greatest game in the world. In fact, it's clunky as hell in some spots. However, I loved the hell out of this game. That atmosphere was perfect. It was sad, yet strangely happy at the same time. It was weird and different. I adored it.

Took the words right out of my mouth :D
That always unknown feeling of being more or less all alone in the world made this game a much welcomed surprise & I loved the game for the most part because of it.

I played a ton of Wii games over it's lifespan but sadly, I still ended up missing out on a few of the big games towards the back end of the console (Pandora & Xenoblade especially... thankfully rectified now with the Wii U!)

My Top 5

5) Mario Galaxy 1
4) Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
3) Mad World
2) Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
1) No More Heroes 2

Honorable mention to Smash, Mario Strikers, Mario Kart Wii & NMH 1... Played waaaaaay too many hours on Smash, Strikers & Mario Kart to not give them a shout out.

BasilZero

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword
4. Super Smash Bros Brawl
5. Mario Kart Wii

Honorable mentions include: DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3, Tatsunoko VS Capcom, Kirby's Return to Dream Land, DKC Returns, NSMB Wii, and Kirby's Epic Yarn.

zulux21

first ones that come to mind

Dokapon Kingdom
Fortune Street
Trauma Team

then likely super smash bros and twilight princess.

1. Another Code: R - Great follow-up to Trace Memory and it's a shame that it never got a US release.

2. MadWorld - One of the funnest 3D beat'em ups I've ever played and is still my favorite Platinum game.

3. Endless Ocean 2 - One of the most relaxing games I've ever played. I love the educational elements as well.

4. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom - I love the VS series of fighting games and this one is close to being my favorite one. I'm also happy that Rival Schools got some attention.

5. A Boy and His Blob - My favorite WayForward game. So cute and I love how they put in a hug button.

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2

2. Xenoblade Chronicles

3. No More Heroes 2 Desperate Struggle

4. Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition

5. The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword

Zalman

The Wii is phenomenal. I could probably name about 20 hidden gems right now, but here are some of the biggest games on the system:

1) Super Mario Galaxy 2
Masterpiece. Inventive, creative and unique. The best game of last generation, period. I didn't want both Galaxy games to take up my list, but Galaxy 1 is about as good as the sequel.

2) Xenoblade Chronicles
JRPGs were missing in action last generation, but near the end we got Xenoblade, which blew everything else out of the water. This is what everyone was waiting for the entire generation.

3) The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
This Zelda game has my favorite characters and setting in the series. This is where the Wii Remote controls peaked. It would've been a missed opportunity if they hadn't tried using the Wii Remote as a sword, but thankfully this happened.

4) Donkey Kong Country Returns
A return to glory for Donkey Kong. While Tropical Freeze is a far better game in my opinion, this is still an excellent 2D platformer. Challenging as well.

5) Punch-Out!
Next Level Games created the perfect revival of Punch-Out. They took everything that made the original great and gave it more character. There's a special surprise enemy at the end too.

super6646

Banned
Its been so long. Ummm... I couldn't list in order, but these were my five favorites.

Mario Galaxy 2
Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Bros Wii
Super Smash Bros...

Damn, I can't list a fifth. Wii had lots of great 1st party games, so sorry.

Top Bottom