• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Books Do You Consider Required Reading In A Particular Area Of Study?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NZer

Awesome idea, I also hope it takes off.

One question though: are we recommending definitive texts in a field, or the book you would recommend to a layperson interested in the field?

Because the two aren't the same, and the usefulness of the thread would depend on whether its the former or the latter.

Necron

Chemistry:
Physical Chemistry - Peter Atkins and Julio de Paula
Organic Chemistry - Jonathan Clayden, Nick Greeves, Stuart Warren and Peter Wothers
Inorganic Chemistry - Catherine Housecroft, Alan G. Sharpe

Biology:
Campbell Biology (International Edition) - Jane B. Reece, Lisa A. Urry et. al.
Fundamentals of Forensic DNA Typing - John M. Butler
Introduction to Biotechnology - William J. Thieman, Michael A. Palladino

Most of my book recommendations would be in German but I posted the original English versions instead. Especially Physical Chemistry and Organic Chemistry were used a lot during my studies. Fantastic books on the subject. I would recommend 'Fundamentals of Forensic DNA Typing' to anyone that are interested on how crimes are solved. It's easy to read and it has some interesting examples.

I love this thread. Subscribed and will be linked in the OPs of the monthly "What are you reading?" threads. Thanks zmoney.

Red

I have a list of books prepped for when I have kids. I might read to them as bedside stories. I'd like them to know about the books as soon as they're able to.

The list so far:
Aristotle's Ethics - philosophy? Sociology?
Aristotle's Politics - politics
(I've seen elements of both above applied to art)
The Book of Disquiet - philosophy? It is hard to place this one, which reads like a haunting memoir of a fictional everyman. It is literature, but not really focused on being literature. No one seems to have heard of it, which is incredibly disheartening. I would say it is one of the best books of the past 100 years. Right at the top of the list.
One, Two, Three, Infinity - math
I am a little ways into GEB: An Eternal Golden Braid, and I think it will soon be added to the list. It goes into quite a few places: art, history, philosophy, and so on, but mostly it seems a book about math and logic.

Pollux

One question though: are we recommending definitive texts in a field, or the book you would recommend to a layperson interested in the field?

Because the two aren't the same, and the usefulness of the thread would depend on whether its the former or the latter.

Both. If its something that you couldn't understand without reading other books first then label it as advanced.

That way even people who have a firm foundation in a field of study can still find the thread useful.

Will update list again this afternoon.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Adam Smith's - An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations

and the counterpart - The Theory of Moral Sentiments.

Seem like obvious candidates. Not sure whether I'd count them as modern history, philosophy or economics, though.

Sayah

International Relations (theory):
Samuel P. Huntington: The Clash of Civilizations
Francis Fukuyama: The End of History and the Last Man

Both books present quite different and conflicting theories regarding the future of international relations, and are probably the most modern manifestations of the 'idealist vs realist' debate in the study.

Also, add under IR:
Orientalism by Edward Said
War Talk by Arundhati Roy

The Structure of Scientific Revolutions by Thomas Kuhn. Highly recommended for all fields of scientific study, as well as philosophy.

The Hero With A Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell Required reading for understanding literature and any narrative related media (film, TV, games).

Red

I am looking through old textbooks from school, but I've only found one that's noteworthy:

David A Cook's A History of Narrative Cinema. Covers a lot, but unfortunately (maybe unavoidably) doesn't go into much specific detail. Still, it's a huge book as is. Topic would be art or art history.

I would also add Aristotle's Poetics.

There are a few books I'd like to add for literature. There are obvious ones like Moby Dick and War and Peace, but I find myself kind of indifferent about those. Should they be read? Yes, by anyone interested in literature. They are important books. But I find myself attracted more toward writers like Fernando Pessoa and Georges Perec -- probably my two favorites.

I've already recommended The Book of Disquiet, but let me add A Void and Life: A User's Manual, both by Perec. Such excellent, exciting books. Both fall under literature.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Computer Science
1a1a9_0072467509_41XKVKAf7cL.jpg

Yes its a textbook. But its one of the best ones I've ever read. I didn't even read it for a class, I read it in my free time, and I found it fantastic. Anyone with a high-school education should be able to read it and start to understand exactly how computers function at the levels of assembly code and even physical transistor circuits.

Design
emotionaldesign1.jpg

A fascinating discussion of how our like or dislike for something aesthetically can determine how we feel about the object as a whole and even directly influence how effective we are at using it.

Just posting some of the stuff I pretty much had to read:

Psychology
Barkow, J., Cosmides, L. & Tooby, J., (eds) (1992) The Adapted Mind: Evolutionary psychology and the generation of culture (New York: Oxford University Press).

Sociology
Hutchby, I. and Wooffitt, R. (2008) Conversation Analysis: Principles, Practices and Applications. Second edition Oxford: Polity Press, pp.260. ISBN: Hb: 978-0-7456-3865-2

Will update when I'm home later.

Sloane

Banned
I'd say Guns, Germs and Steel is pretty much required reading for history, even if I don't fully agree with its explanations all the time. Very interesting book.
That the book in which the author repeats every other page that race had no Influence on each continent's history or something like that? Tried to read it because I was interested in the topic but it felt like he really had to prove something. Not saying that he's wrong, of course, but it felt a bit forced.

If you are interested in studying the History of Mathematics, I recommend "A History of Mathematics" by Carl B. Boyer and Uta C. Merzbach. Covers everything nicely and guides you through some of the less familiar concepts.

kylej

Banned
Niccolò Machiavelli's The Prince for Political Science/people interested in politics. I've read Hobbes, Rousseau, Plato, all the big boys, and all their major works can blow your mind. None are as biting, relevant, genius, and beautifully succinct as The Prince.

Machiavelli_Principe_Cover_Page.jpg

loosus

Banned
For basic computer science, I always thought this book was pretty decent: Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software

3425.jpg

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
Economics

If you're looking for pop economics, just read The Economist. If you want to learn economics, not just feel more confident arguing superficially about economic policy on the internet, read these textbooks first. Understanding the foundations of the field will permit you to branch out and learn more about your specific interests (macro, public, international, development, market design, etc.). Try looking for them in your library or buying them used because they are very expensive (there are even cheaper means to acquire them, but it is forbidden to divulge these secrets here, lol). None of these are required reading, as there are many textbooks out there that teach almost the same stuff, but I recommend them.

* = Introductory
** = Intermediate
*** = Graduate

Game Theory

*/** An Introduction to Game Theory by Martin Osborne
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0195128958/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Microeconomics:

*/** Introduction to Economic Analysis by R. Preston McAfee (Yahoo! Research, previously at Caltech)
http://www.introecon.com/ (FREE!)

** Microeconomic Theory: Basic Principles and Extensions by Nicholson and Snyder
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1111525536/?tag=neogaf0e-20

*** Microeconomic Theory by Mas-Colell, Whinston, and Green
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0195073401/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Econometrics:

*/** Introduction to Econometrics by Stock and Watson
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0138009007/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Mathematical Prerequisites:
Graduate level textbooks require some familiarity with proofs and mathematical analysis. Intermediate level textbooks require some (possibly multivariable) calculus and maybe some linear algebra. Introductory level just requires algebra and how to read graphs.

I'll add more later once (if!) I finish my problem sets.

Guzim

Any History major should read Candide by Voltaire and Common Sense by Thomas Paine. While these aren't necessarily historical, they both offer insight on the times.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Goya: any non-college-textbook-priced alternatives to those books?

That the book in which the author repeats every other page that race had no Influence on each continent's history or something like that? Tried to read it because I was interested in the topic but it felt like he really had to prove something. Not saying that he's wrong, of course, but it felt a bit forced.

That's... not really what happens in the book, but yeah, it's the one that you're thinking it is. He IS trying to prove something, but to try to explain thousands of years of human history via geography (basically) is a ballsy posit that requires copious amounts of proof.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
Goya: any non-college-textbook-priced alternatives to those books?

Here's a free book on microeconomics at the intermediate level (i.e., uses calculus) that has been recommended before by others:

** Introduction to Economic Analysis by R. Preston McAfee (Yahoo! Research, previously at Caltech)
http://www.introecon.com/

A more complete list of free and online books on economics is located here:
http://wikieducator.org/Economics_Textbooks_Free_and_Online

Also, http://www.coursera.org has a couple of free economics classes (video lectures, lecture notes, etc.), like this game theory course being taught by Stanford professors: https://class.coursera.org/gametheory/auth/welcome.

Sloane

Banned
That's... not really what happens in the book, but yeah, it's the one that you're thinking it is. He IS trying to prove something, but to try to explain thousands of years of human history via geography (basically) is a ballsy posit that requires copious amounts of proof.
Hmm, yeah, maybe I should continue reading it, I stopped after the first 100 pages or so because his writing style somehow annoyed me and it felt a bit forced. But I guess I'll give it another try.

I don't have anything to add yet...just wanted to say this is one of the best ideas for a thread I have seen on neogaf in seven years. F'in subbed.

Hmm, yeah, maybe I should continue reading it, I stopped after the first 100 pages or so because his writing style somehow annoyed me and it felt a bit forced. But I guess I'll give it another try.

Honestly, I'm not sure you'd like it much more beyond those first 100 pages. It's not like there is a dramatic change in style or content.

Pollux

Still on the first page as far as updating the OP...sorry its taking so long. Have work to do with finals coming up, but every one of your recommendations will be in the list ASAP.

New Overall Categories include:
Linguistics, Cultural Studies, and Communications.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Ive taken a human centered design class and it really changed my outlook on how I view the development of systems.

Its the area that I eventually want to go into. I'm getting my BA in Mechanical Engineering because I'm interested in working in that area in the physical space.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
Probability, Stochastic Processes, and Stochastic Calculus (again these are my picks, there are many alternatives)

A First Course in Probability - Sheldon Ross
http://www.amazon.com/dp/013603313X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Introduction to Probability Models - Sheldon Ross
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0123756863/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Probability and Stochastics - Erhan Cinlar
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0387878580/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Stochastic Calculus, Filtering, and Stochastic Control - Ramon van Handel
http://www.princeton.edu/~rvan/acm217/ACM217.pdf (these are lecture notes, with annotated references at the end of each chapter if you're looking for more traditional books).

I came in here about to state the Lucifer Effect by Zimbardo, but I've been beaten to the punch. I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread. I want to expand my knowledge on psychology.

Zmoney, add Criminology to the OP.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Its the area that I eventually want to go into. I'm getting my BA in Mechanical Engineering because I'm interested in working in that area in the physical space.

Is Human centered design a specific separate course?

I view general design really as pretty centered around usability for the user.

Not sure if this will truly fit, but I deem it necessary reading for religious study: god is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens. A persuasive book arguing against religions and really focuses in on Christianity.

Is Human centered design a specific separate course?

I view general design really as pretty centered around usability for the user.

Actually it is information architecture and knowledge management. HCD I feel is one implementation of those principles.

One of the questions that I always ask is who is the "user", what motivates the "user". I think it is important to know.

Pollux

Two suggestions.

1) could you add who recommended the book and
2) modify the sections so the show up in alphabetical order.
Yes and yes. Will be able to do more tonight though.

I came in here about to state the Lucifer Effect by Zimbardo, but I've been beaten to the punch. I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread. I want to expand my knowledge on psychology.

Zmoney, add Criminology to the OP.

I'll put it as a subsection of psychology.

Cyan

Banned

It appears to be a combination, but leaning towards the former. And yes, I agree; I was hoping for more utility out of this thread. :/

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What level are we talking about here? High schooler? Informed lay-person? Expert? Are we talking about autodidacts or people who have access to schooling? There are sections like philosophy and political science and sociology... and, well, frankly most of them, where I wouldn't recommend most of the primary "seminal texts" for someone who is self-starting. Instead, I'd recommend secondary texts that help contextualize the primary texts. On the other hand, if we're talking at a graduate level, readers would probably want to read the primary texts at that point.

Especially philosophy and political science. Anyone reading Marx, Durkheim, Weber, or even Locke, Burke, Bentham, Hayek, etc out of context, just by picking up their primary texts, is going to do themselves a huge disservice.

I'd also argue that in most of the fields, the seminal works aren't trade paperbacks, they're either textbooks or journal articles. You wouldn't be studying foreign policy from a book, you'd be studying it from the X Memo and the Journal of Democracy and countless other sources.

Regardless of how it turns out, you probably ought to include "Godel, Escher, Bach"--Crunched mentions it above--under Linguistics, Computer Science, and Philosophy. You probably ought to include "Flatland" under mathematics. Elliott Layton's "Hunting Humans" under Criminology or Sociology. All of these are approachable enough that I'd recommend them for self-starters. For Mathematics you could probable add the Stewart calculus text, since it's used by probably the better part of the English speaking world.

International Relations (theory):
Samuel P. Huntington: The Clash of Civilizations
Francis Fukuyama: The End of History and the Last Man

While I'd recommend both books for exactly the reason you mention, I'd also not recommend them to anyone who just wandered in to the subject. Typically when these works are taught, they're taught in a course that's already went through IR in the cold war (bipolar, containment, etc), and then they contextualize the collapse of the soviet union and the emerging world order of the 90s. So I think it does someone a disservice to just pick these up, read them, and internalize them.

I mean this is a fundamental problem here--you have people in this thread who are largely not autodidacts, who were largely taught by professors who gave everything a good context and within programs that ensured a good progression of knowledge... and yet the works are being recommended to people who may or may not be in the same situation.

Sleepy

Gender Studies:

Gender Trouble- Judith Butler

Literature:

The Crying of Lot 49- Thomas Pynchon (For Postmodernism)

Lit Theory:

Of Grammatology- Jacques Derrida

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Gender Studies:

Gender Trouble- Judith Butler

I would seriously recommend against someone wandering into Butler head-first. Her writing is very very difficult both to read and unpack. She's absolutely required reading the field, no doubt about that (Although I'd start with a shorter work, like "Imitation and Gender Insubordination"), but...

I mean, as an example of how a sociology department would handle gender studies... you'd probably expect to read Butler in a 3rd or 4th year course, after several years of studying the feminist perspective on non-gender studies issues (IE Intro to Soc comparing functionalism, social construction, class theory, feminism, pomo; then you go on and take modern social theory and get a little more feminism). And even then, you're not likely to read Butler right off the bat. You're likely to learn sort of first-second-third wave feminism (and probably read something like De Beauvoir's "The Second Sex"), and then you're likely to get easier authors when talking about modern gender studies work.

The link I gave above is a Butler piece excerpted from David Halperin's "Gay and Lesbian Studies Reader" and I think the fact that it's maybe 15-20 essays into the book, way after much more approachable material, shows how Butler is generally taught.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom