• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Books Do You Consider Required Reading In A Particular Area Of Study?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ward

Art & Design, also Architecture

Edmund Burke - A Philosophical Enquiry into the Origin of Our Ideas of the Sublime and Beautiful

Reuenthal

Banned
History, Economics

Collapse of an Empire: Lessons for Modern Russia

This is a truly excellent book I highly recommend. The detail in which he explains why and how Soviet Union collapsed results in the reader ending the book understanding the multiple causes of the collapse not only leaving no room for myths but also bringing new light into some commonly unknown aspects of the collapse. Most importantly this is a man who lived the collapse first hand. It is also a collapse that does bring some lessons to modern nations which bringing those lessons is also something the book attempts to do.

cool thread idea, I shall contribute:

GPS for Land Surveyors - Van Sickle - pretty much everything you could ever want to know about how the global positioning system works.

Remote Sensing of the Environment - Jensen - Fantastic book about the history and development of remote sensing

Ledsen

For European history, the aptly named "Europe: A History" by Norman Davies, Ph. D. A very thorough book, to say the least (I could probably kill someone with the paperback) It's also well-written and attempts to give equal opportunity to the oft-neglected parts of eastern Europe that get glossed over in most histories. If you want a broad outline of European history from the first settlers until modern times, this is pretty great.

History, Economics

Collapse of an Empire: Lessons for Modern Russia

This is a truly excellent book I highly recommend. The detail in which he explains why and how Soviet Union collapsed results in the reader ending the book understanding the multiple causes of the collapse not only leaving no room for myths but also bringing new light into some commonly unknown aspects of the collapse. Most importantly this is a man who lived the collapse first hand. It is also a collapse that does bring some lessons to modern nations which bringing those lessons is also something the book attempts to do.

Holy fucking shit! I'm ordering this.

Prez

Great book about Tesla, his inventions and crazy experiments:

Tesla: Man Out of Time - Margaret Cheney

Want to learn basic electronics? The following book is great for beginners and has many experiments. By the end of the book you'll know enough to experiment a little yourself and come up with your own circuits!

Make: Electronics - Charles Platt

The next book is full of amazing photography of a great era in US history, taken by one of the best photographers of the 20th century, William Claxton. Anyone will be inspired by this book. Even if you hate jazz, this will gain you much general insight in US history and expand your worldview.

Jazzlife - William Claxton

More examples of William Claxton photography here.

Why Nations Fail

115042800.JPG

Will make you look at politics the same way Guns, Germs & Steel made you look at geography.

Necrovex

Super sad that this thread simply died, but thankfully, my question relates best to this thread. So, here's hoping something can come out of it.

I am interested in learning a little more about quantum mechanics. It's a little silly, but I have become a bit more interested in the field after playing Steins;Gate and Virtue's Last Reward. I have never really studied physics before, so I don't want someone suggesting a bloody ol' textbook.

I want to read something that a person not proficient in physics can understand. I'm hoping to find a book that is on the same level as The Lucifer's Effect (i.e. I didn't really need to understand psychology or know much about Zimbardo to appreciate the content).

Ashes

Banned
Writing [should be Creative Writing but I'll go with your topic header]

Popular classics:

The Elements of Style [take your pick which edition to list]
Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft [Stephen King]

Creative Writing majors:

Lodge, D., The Art of Fiction [London: Penguin, 1992.]
Mullan, J., How Novels Work [Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006]
Wood, J., How Fiction Works [London: Vintage, 2009]

For everyone else [e.g. journalists]

George Orwell, "Politics and the English Language," 1946

---
Alright, got it down to sevenish.
edit: let me know if you want poetry too. Have to dig that one out from somewhere. Some course I did a while ago.

Necrovex

bookmarked, this is a big help to someone who wants to read more nonfiction

This is why I want this thread to come back to life. I really want to read more non-fiction books, particularly since I will no longer be in an university setting.

Some more Computer Science books:

Real Time Rendering by Tomas Akenine-Möller, Eric Haines, and Naty Hoffman. A 1045 pages bad boy you can probably use to kill someone with, very well written, lots of nice (color-printed) pictures and quite exhaustive.
If you're into computer graphics, this is a pretty fantastic list of books, quite a few of the freely available, sorted by topic and with some comments by the author of the above book for every one of them.

Accelerated C++: Practical Programming by Example by Andrew Koenig and Barbara Moo: A great, modern (even though it's 13 years old now) introduction to C++. This book teaches you actual C++, not C and then C++. You start out using the STL vectors instead of arrays and pointers (which are error-prone and shouldn't be used as much in C++ anyways). It does not contain the new C++11 features, but other than that, I can't see anything wrong with this book. It's one of the very few C++ books that's less than 500 pages, yet still covers everything a beginner needs to know.

Monocle

It's a real shame that Andrew Loomis's drawing and painting books haven't been mentioned yet. They're almost certainly the best of their kind. All of Loomis's books are essential but Successful Drawing and Creative Illustration are the most comprehensive. I'm seriously having a hard time stopping myself from gushing superlatives about this man's work. He's an extraordinary teacher whose affable writing style is a pleasure to read.

For drawing: Drawn To Life, the Walt Stanchfield Lectures volumes one and two are full of enough keen insight and practical information to fuel a student throughout his or her entire artistic education and beyond. A must for anyone who draws, even if you don't have the slightest interest in animation.

For painting: I've heard great things about Alla Prima: Everything I Know About Painting by Richard Schmid. This out of print book is rare and very expensive, but apparently an updated version is due out this fall.

Red

Education - Pedagogy of the Oppressed
Design theory - Cradle to Cradle
Cognitive theory - Thinking, Fast and Slow

Will have to expand this later. These books deserve to be read.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Philosophy - Descartes' Meditations on First Philosophy

Literature - Shakespeare (poems and plays)

Edit: both available for free on the intarwebz

The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory by Brian Greene.
l303PGi.jpg

"Brian Greene, one of the world's leading string theorists, peels away layers of mystery to reveal a universe that consists of eleven dimensions, where the fabric of space tears and repairs itself, and all matter―from the smallest quarks to the most gargantuan supernovas―is generated by the vibrations of microscopically tiny loops of energy. The Elegant Universe makes some of the most sophisticated concepts ever contemplated accessible and thoroughly entertaining, bringing us closer than ever to understanding how the universe works."
Very easy read that can give even someone with no physics background a good, fundamental understanding of the basics of the universe and the gist of what string theory is all about.

Definitely recommend it, and I believe it was a fellow NeoGAF member that recommended it as well, I just can't recall the thread or the user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom