• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September 2017)

enbred

Banned
I think that's what he meant by "shadow of the wind"? lol

Someone also said "The biggest impediment to understanding the past, is that we know their future" :eek:

But sorry I have no recommendations, you just reminded me of the quote.

Lol. Or whatever. Yeah honestly the second part was a bit dragged out, though still hopeful for the last part to wrap it up well and justify my time spent reading it.

How about Mistborn? Not very recent. And i havent read it myself, its on my list, people say its darn good.

Thanks anyways.

Grudy

Lol. Or whatever. Yeah honestly the second part was a bit dragged out, though still hopeful for the last part to wrap it up well and justify my time spent reading it.

How about Mistborn? Not very recent. And i havent read it myself, its on my list, people say its darn good.

Thanks anyways.

I really liked Mistborn and just finished it last week actually. It's not masterpiece or anything, but I enjoyed the ride way too much and ordered the second book the moment I was done.

enbred

Banned
I really liked Mistborn and just finished it last week actually. It's not masterpiece or anything, but I enjoyed the ride way too much and ordered the second book the moment I was done.
Sweet. I heard the magic system is pretty rad. I like rational/logical explanations to things even if they're fictious.

Necrovex

Thanks anyways.

I've really enjoyed Mistborn's graphic audio books, if you can find them on the cheap. Helps build that immersion, and it may very well how I tackle future Sanderson books.

magichans

Banned
Well the plot revolves around marriages but the book is character driven as you say and the books are really about characters, and society, and characters in society. Courtship, friendship, marriage, those are convenient vehicles for a study of society as a whole. The specific as something universal, etc. I just don't get why it matters that the plot is then about marriages, you don't have to think about marriage at all to see how the satire of norms, rules, female/male roles applies in general and even today. It's completely reductionist to say it's just about marriage. That's like saying 'Moby Dick' is about fishing.

There are even better Austen books though.
I never said it was "just" about marriage. I just said it was the overarching plot point and that was boring to me.

Also, I don't think you can claim Austen is studying "the whole of society" without ever mentioning poor people, minorities, hardships, dark aspects of humanity like gambling, depression, drinking, etc., sexual violence, real violence, active war, etc the list goes on endlessly. That's my main problem with her. How is this at all studying "the whole of society" ? It's just a small slice of it.

Jag

Started
17910124.jpg

Not feeling it so far, but maybe it gets better.

Peru

I never said it was "just" about marriage. I just said it was the overarching plot point and that was boring to me.

Also, I don't think you can claim Austen is studying "the whole of society" without ever mentioning poor people, minorities, hardships, dark aspects of humanity like gambling, depression, drinking, etc., sexual violence, real violence, active war, etc the list goes on endlessly. That's my main problem with her. How is this at all studying "the whole of society" ? It's just a small slice of it.

As you say yourself it's not about the surface plot.

As I said, she finds the universal in the specific. Of course it's not a social realist study examining living conditions among all classes. But in depicting the landed gentry's silly people politics she nails all types of people, attitudes struck, hypocrisy paraded, pride and prejudice.

pa22word

Finally finished Seveneves. Christ what the hell at that ending? You create this vast new world with truly excruciating detail in which to spin an epic yarn, and you end it in what amounts to a giant cliff hanger with no signs of a sequel ever being penned. Considering the length of the book..what an utter waste of time that was.

Fun read though for the inner workings of the space station stuff.

Top Bottom